General Dynamics Reviews | Glassdoor

General Dynamics CEO Phebe N. Novakovic
Phebe N. Novakovic

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management is still very conservative and not as open to adapting to current trends" (in 17 reviews)

• "Some middle management needs to be removed" (in 10 reviews)

"HIGHLY RECOMMENDED"

Former Employee - Arizona in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Arizona in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

General Dynamics is a great place to work the environment is welcoming and the managers are friendly. They hire like crazy!

Cons

You move up too fast! It is a nice place to work at only bad thing is over time is limited

Advice to Management

Management is nice and friendly. More communication with the team's, more in person interactions to make the place a little bit more lively.

2. "Local Senior Leadership is toxic"

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time

Pros

Great money for the area

Cons

Engineering, quality, and product control turnover ~60%. People aren't leaving the job they are leaving the leadership. Multiple company employees just stop coming into work, specifically in the quality department. Upper management seems to ignore the unethical mismanagement, even when employees call out by name the reason they are leaving in their resignation letters; just hire more. A select few in the engineering departments get to work the job they applied for, and instead become "Supervisors" of an out of control union.

Advice to Management

Clean the swap at the Sr. Management level.

3. "Customer service representative in a mind numbing job."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sandy, UT

I worked at General Dynamics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of one.

Cons

Where do I begin ? Training was given by two call center volunteers. It would’ve just been better to learn alone in a quiet room with the online tutoring programs. Once training is completed you will be reviewed by an experienced call center agent who will then tell you that none of you have been trained. You will be introduced to your telephone system during your first call when you’re in the nesting pod and will be promptly abandoned. During nesting you will play musical very old and falling apart chairs and move multiple times to several broken computers and or monitors. During an interview recently I was told that they did get some new computers. Caveat, after being told that there is new management in place it appears that is not the case I therefore opted not to accept a second attempt to work for this company. Upper management who is not familiar with their own dress code will attempt to tell you that your shoes do not meet the standard when in fact they do. Unfriendly and unwelcoming more experienced peers will not assist you gladly and it is at that time you will learn there is not one right way to move through your scripts. The next calls that you stumble through with out any available assistance will teach you that more incorrect information has been collected for those who should not be eligible to receive federal government money for healthcare. This will leave you with a warm and fuzzy feeling about the high federal taxes you are paying while working in this job . Your positive attitude and professional demeanor will quickly be destroyed. It appears as though the employees that acclimate to this environment will face a barrage of Gossip and comfortably become a drone. You will meet some pleasant fellow employees who are also looking elsewhere. But they are few.

Advice to Management

I have already given this consultation while I was being paid an hourly wage. There is so much reconstruction needed You may need to start over from the beginning. It appears that a 12-year-old has designed the computer program in his parents basement. Beyond that all managers and training personnel must be retrained and re-acclimated in a positive environment. The new recruiting personnel are less efficient than the former recruiting personnel. I could not distinguish the new management from the old management that was replaced.

4. "Engineer"

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time

Pros

Good pay and working environment for the area

Cons

No flex time or overtime for most saleried employess

Advice to Management

Listen to you employees and treat them professionally

5. "Employee Harrassment and Gender Discrimination"

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time

Pros

The only pro is competitive pay

Cons

All GDIT employees at our site are white males and have always been white males dating back to when the team was formed. To suddenly have a female hired on the team years into its existence has created a horrible and clear-cut gender specific harassment and discrimination case most notably by the team leader, but others in the team as well.

Advice to Management

You may want to consider hiring a mix of gender and races at your sites.

6. "Okay"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are ok just got new computers

Cons

Irate consumers and lunch should be 1 hour

7. "ssk"

Pros

big company in Charlottesville, Virginia

Cons

Very unorganized and biased completely

8. "It was a job, pay was decent and hours were ok."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, KY

I worked at General Dynamics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If your performance was good, you could choose your own schedule out of a select few. Also there were sometimes bonuses for coming in if the weather was bad, or if your team did well, etc.

Cons

Some of the callers are difficult, they don't want you to do anything but review scripts in your down time, sometimes the calls are back to back like any call center.

Advice to Management

This can be an incredibly frustrating job and sometimes we don't see the end result of helping someone, so efforts go unnoticed. The employees should get some type of recognition for resolving issues and working hard. Maybe a team potluck once a month, or something to keep It interesting.

9. "Love this company, but it could use some work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taunton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taunton, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Offer a program to pay for your Master's degree, as long as the manager approves of it and is similar to your working field.
    -Option to contribute percentage of pay to Roth and 401k.
    -Lots of training opportunities, but this depends on your manager and how flexible they are with funding you.
    -Flexible time! This is one of my favorites because I don't need to take time off of work to take appointments. You work 9 hours a day to have every other Friday off.
    -80 hours of Sick time (or however you wish to use it), 3 floating holidays (to use however you wish), and 7 or 8 company holiday. Depending on how long you've been in the company, you receive 2-6 weeks vacation days a year. Can bank up to 250 hours of vacation.
    -Availability of more interesting projects is on the rise due to change in company outlook. They're always changing (attempting for the better).
    -Offer pet, dental, eye, and health insurance.
    -People are very nice and helpful, but there are some older folks who still have the mentality of "my job is my job security, so I'm not going to be much help."

Cons

-Large company and can be hit or miss depending on which manager you have directing your spending.
    -They have a high turnover rate of young employees (age 30 and below).
    -Health insurance could be better. HSA makes it more manageable.
    -Interning is on the boring side. You spend most time learning about the company, and can be slightly misleading for when/if you accept a full-time position. (Again, this depends on your manager)
    -Feels like half of the company is retiring. This can be beneficial because you learn a lot about the company and how things work from experts, or people who have been at GD for 10+ years.

Advice to Management

I have loved working here, and I'm not sure of what I would have to offer to management.

10. "Medical record reviewer"

Former Employee - Medical Record Review in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Medical Record Review in Towson, MD

I worked at General Dynamics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home remote employee

Cons

Department was sold to another vendor

Advice to Management

None