Genesis Today Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Genesis Today CEO William Meissner
William Meissner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Then we moved to a new building and tried to start making our own product (in 7 reviews)

• Met some really great people - the Ex-GT club is a really great group of folks that I love dearly (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management had always expected employees to take on more duties, to work as a team, and to fill-in where needed (in 4 reviews)

• I cannot see how this could possibly benefit the executive team (in 3 reviews)

"Exciting products, chaotic executives"

Former Employee - Private in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Private in Austin, TX

I worked at Genesis Today full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products, big discount on products, environment of progressive lifestyle thinkers.

Cons

Snap decisions and poor judgments by executive team created lack of sense of security and distrust.

Advice to Management

Hire based on talent and insight, not 'super hires' from the big league. They don't always believe in your product.

"One star because there's not a negative star."

Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at Genesis Today full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Met some really great people - the Ex-GT club is a really great group of folks that I love dearly. Learned a lot about natural health and got to travel. Met some of the best health food store owners, brokers and distributors. Life long friends and that's what's most important! I wouldn't trade my time there for the world and I wouldn't go back for the sun, moon and all the planets!

Cons

It was fine until the last few months I was there. Everyone who talks about the crazy management (founder) are a little right, but I think that's true for any company that is run by its founder (I've worked for three, so I'm speaking from experience that entrepreneurs are and have to be a little nuts). Bill Meissner has no moral compass and is not the "savior" he pretends to be (security cameras and time clocks are NORMAL). His leadership skills are sophomoric and his business sense is even worse. He's never been in this industry, asks for advice and then ignores it or does the exact opposite. I mean, who sells to the exact same customers through a distributor for less money and expects the sales to grow when you've got no salespeople? He blames the past leadership for his failures, but he's had a couple years to make it a winner (as it was when he came in, but now it's failing). He also TAKES credit for actions past management put into motion. I'm pretty sure he's never had an original thought.

Advice to Management

Bill Meissner put the CFO in charge of formulating. NEVER put the money man in charge of quality! Did you see the Goji100 with goji powder and pineapple juice? Did you notice the other dumbed down formulas? Although it's hard to tell since expensive ingredients like sacha inchi are just fairy dust (thank you FDA for allowing proprietary formulas). GT used to be known for its unsurpassed quality - we would go out of stock before we let our beloved customers consume less than premium quality supplements.

I don't think you can tell the management anything - they'll collect their big paychecks till the end, which is all I think they care about.

"Horrible Company"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at Genesis Today full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not having to work there anymore.

Cons

The list goes on for miles. All of the negative reviews are 100% true.

Advice to Management

fire yourselves.

"The best job I ever had."

I worked at Genesis Today full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Also a 'con,' GT was always a small company void of real corporate structure and tight job descriptions. personally, I always viewed working outside set boundaries as an opportunity for growth and a way to increase my skill set. This company tests you intra- and inter-personally in every way possible, and acts like a mirror held in front of you. Great, hard-working people who were there for 3 years or longer have likely weathered a tyrannical dictatorship, filled with ethical and moral dilemma, convoluted with an altruistic spirit of healing and nourishing the masses. Those who stuck it out at GT, working with dedication, heart and soul for years without any performance reviews or raises have developed a work ethic that surpasses most others. I have never worked with a more talented and committed staff. Companies who discover a resume from a previous GT employee on their desk should see gold.

Cons

GT was always a small company void of real corporate structure and tight job descriptions. Also, a 'pro' for me, this wasn't for others. A lack of clear job duties makes it hard for employees to know if they are fulfilling their responsibilities - and to make a clear case for a raise, which, for management, was exactly the point. Upper management had always expected employees to take on more duties, to work as a team, and to fill-in where needed. However, this approach works best when rewarded, and employees are valued and compensated for their going the extra distance. With no such thing as formal performance reviews, employees worked extra hard believing the extra work would pay off, but ultimately, it never did. Subsequently, many highly qualified individuals left over the years. Because the previous founder traded in the altruistic saving-the-world motivation for the greedy intention of overnight riches and success, he had left a small company in ruins--in which others have resorted to desperate 'hail-Mary' tactics to try and save it. Some say GT is a sinking ship, but for my friends still there fighting the battle, I'm hoping it's the little boat that could--and will.

Advice to Management

Once you pull this company through this financial set-back, my hope is that you one day can stop outsourcing, and hire individuals with the grit and determination that had once made this company great. Even better, become a "B-corp" or "conscious company" that values employees, and that sees them as the stakeholders that they are; reward and praise their efforts, and watch the company rise to success.

"....."

Former Employee - Transportation in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Transportation in Austin, TX

Pros

Lot of great people there!!

Cons

cant really write anything because whats bad for me is not going to be bad for other people... so just go and find out, by yourself, just know that management is going to make you believe thing and give you their word but at the end all of that is forgotten and you'll be laid off or fired whenever they want.

Advice to Management

nothing, they will do whatever they think is better...

"The tides have changed for sure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Genesis Today (More than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is different, lighter, happier.

Cons

None at all, I am very pleased!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, keep listening to your staff and their needs. You guys have kicked butt fixing our brand and our culture!

"WOW!!! Things have changed for the better!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Genesis Today (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great employees, newly renovated building with loads of space and covered parking, good benefits and ability to make a change. Free access to a loaded gym. No more spy software, cameras, time scanners and new employee benefits are making it great to work here again!

Cons

None come to mind right now!

Advice to Management

Keep it moving forward! We've weathered through some tough times and have recently not only cut some major slack we've also received a top-notch new CEO that plain just gets it. First week here he made some long overdue changes and things are already turning around. For the first time since I've worked here people are actually excited and motivated. It's almost as if we're a new startup with some really new and exciting things going on. Finally some insight on how a company should be run with managers that actually care and know how to manage.

"Worst Work Environment Ever"

Former Employee - PR Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - PR Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Genesis Today full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're looking to move to Austin, this place is always hiring thanks to the continuous revolving door of employees. And you can make some good friends here since those who are in the trenches together have a lot to bond over.

Cons

The CEO is an ego-maniac who thinks he knows everything about everything. His management style if intimidation, belittling and micro-management. My first day I was told that there were cameras everywhere, but then my boss noted, "but not anywhere strange like the bathroom" as if that was supposed to make me feel better. Everyone from HR to IT spies on you and tries to fire you for any tiny little infraction (such as leaving at 5:55pm on a Friday or reading a Statesman article on your work computer). Employees are asked to do unethical things such as call retailers pretending to be from their corporate office to encourage them to place Genesis Today products in better locations throughout the store. This truly is the most toxic environment I've ever witnessed and it is completely counter to the supposed mission of the company. The true mission is to make the founder even richer.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging, stop spying and in general trust your employees. You don't know everything.

"Looking Back"

I worked at Genesis Today full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Peer group of fabulous individuals

Cons

Mgmt Team - Frantic, intimidating, micro-managers

Advice to Management

Get a life coach and sensitivity training

"WORST company culture EVER."

Former Employee - Marketing in Dripping Springs, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Dripping Springs, TX

Pros

Steve Brecher (CEO) was the only good thing at this company. Heard he was let go and that leaves nothing else to put as a "Pro."

Cons

The delusional owner who pretends to be this great nutritionist and the laughing joke of the President who used to be the receptionist. There are always wonderful rumors here of the owner banging the staff and who is getting fired next. There really should be a reality show on this company. it is all the worst people you could imagine under one roof plotting who gets fired next. YAY!

Advice to Management

There really is no true "management" at this company. My advice would be to anyone considering working there, DON'T!