Goal Zero Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joe Atkin

"Ignore the Negative Comments"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Bluffdale, UT
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Bluffdale, UT

I worked at Goal Zero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First off, I would ignore the negative comments. Most of them come from independent contractors who oversaw Costco Roadshow booths which is very different experience than a full-time employee. I worked closely on the roadshow inventory planning and reporting and can tell you that the expectations that were set were realistic and honest BUT it's a difficult direct sales position and not everyone will perform equally.

My experience was great. I found that if I had an idea, I had the support from management to design, get feedback and implement a solution. I felt like I had family there. Some have mentioned that training is non-existent but that's not 100% true; training is definitely less formal and is usually prompted by a request from the one seeking it. Whenever a new product launched, we would get have a formal meeting to go over it's specs. While training might be inconsistent, I always felt like management was willing to take the time to mentor me and help me with charting out a career plan. They seemed more concerned with my growth as a person, than my growth just in my job title.

All in all, it's was a good place to work

Cons

Goal Zero will take all the time you can give it and ask for more; there's just that much that always needs to be done. So, while work-life balance is definitely advocated, it's up to you to guard it.

2. "Poor leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bluffdale, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bluffdale, UT

I worked at Goal Zero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is money coming in from the parent company

Cons

The Parent company has no idea what they are doing.

"Long-Time Employee Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I have been working at Goal Zero (More than 3 years)

Pros

The vision and roots of this company are incredible. Being able to change lives and communities forever by giving them reliable & sustainable power is one of the best things about being a part of this team.
    The brand continually grows and flourishes. Goal Zero is in a unique situation to work with countless other brands in the outdoor industry.

Cons

NRG is making this company very corporate. The culture is hanging on by a thread. Issues take forever to get resolved.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture at the heart of everything you do. Empowering people, including those within your own walls, has been the greatest thing this company has done.

"Brand Advocate"

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Bluffdale, UT
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Bluffdale, UT

I have been working at Goal Zero part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool product, flexible work schedule. Ability to pick up last minute work.

Cons

Management is very uncommunicative. No process for training. Long hours 10.5 a day for 10 days straight.

Advice to Management

Create a better training program. Communicate with reps more regularly or hire an extra set of hands to do it for you. It would be worth it, I really believe it would decrease turnover rates and increase sales to have more communication from management.

"Informative, always new products changing the playing field, very inertactive with customer and staff/company."

Former Employee - Independent Merchandiser in Kailua Kona, HI
    Former Employee - Independent Merchandiser in Kailua Kona, HI

Pros

Chances of travel, both on the islands and mainland, never the same customer more then twice!

Cons

Product doesn't always arrive on time for show, several returns from previous shows mixed with new products lines or customers returning product used, self damaged, or missing items from package deals

Advice to Management

Better tracking of inventory, returns should be labled and shipped in a different color package, so you know which is damaged or product returns so they don't get mixed with the next shipment for a new show.

"Costco Roadshow Representative"

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Baltimore, MD

Pros

There really isn't any Pro's in this position other than the ability to work on your own with absolutely no one looking over your shoulder from the company.

Cons

1. Company states roadshow reps earning at $2000-$4000 per show which is totally untrue.
    2. You must stand 101/2 hours at your booth for 10-11 days.
    3. Goal Zero deducts 10% from your gross sales and that goes to Costco
    4. Goal Zero deducts 4% from your gross sales for future returns back to Costco whether they are returned or not.
    5. Goal Zero deducts $50.00 from your paycheck for the Costco Booth fee.
    6. If anything is returned doing your show that amount is deducted from your gross Costco sales even though you did not sell those items. One show that I did $700 was returned and deducted from my sales
    7. You have to set up your booth the night before your show which takes 4-5 hours and you do not get paid for it
    8. There is no contact with the home office to answer questions
    9. Products are overpriced
    10. Roadshow sales west of the Mississippi are fairly good but east of the Mississippi are terrible.
    11. Three years ago you were paid within 4 days now it takes up to three weeks.
    12. Commissions and expenses were cut last year
    13. Delivery problems with goods shipped to Costco
    14. Most Costco locations treat you as a second class vendor

Advice to Management

There is no support from Costco team. No one answers phone calls. Products are overpriced and poor inventory shipments to stores on the east coast . Treat your reps better.

"A fantastic young company with lots of room to grow."

Current Employee - Marketing in Bluffdale, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Bluffdale, UT

I have been working at Goal Zero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young, energetic, growing market, what you create you see in the market right away, small enough that every contribution is really felt, still ground floor access.

Cons

No cons, just the challenges of having to figure out how to do things for the first time.

Advice to Management

Keep the vision.

8. "Awesome Products, Awesome Culture."

Current Employee - Engineering Associate in Bluffdale, UT
    Current Employee - Engineering Associate in Bluffdale, UT

I have been working at Goal Zero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The products are really cool, the culture is awesome, the benefits are okay, and the salary is okay. Also, good opportunity to move around in the company. Employee discount is also really good. Very lenient with time off/tardiness, and dress is casual. The people make it fun and there are always new and exciting products on the horizon.

Cons

Benefits and pay could be a little better.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your subordinates needs, keep them on a progressive track with goals.

"Road Show"

Former Employee - Independent Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Independent Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Goal Zero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It a high turnover position. None

Cons

limited opportunities. Will keep you within the 50 mile radius to pay the least travel expense

Advice to Management

Stop lying about the compensation amount.

10. "Fun and amazing!"

Current Employee - Returns in Bluffdale, UT
    Current Employee - Returns in Bluffdale, UT

I have been working at Goal Zero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people that actually care about you and want to be able to help you succeed with in the company, amazing work environment . Many perks come in working with this great company.

Cons

At times I feel we are not seen as a whole "family" with in the office personal and warehouse personal.

Advice to Management

Recognize the little people a little more and work on helping the warehouse manager be better at managing.