GoodData Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Roman Stanek

Pros
  • Recent shifts in the company that have led to more stability and new initiatives surrounding employee health and work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Smart people, many possibilities to learn new things (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Go to Market focus has been a key topic in the company in the past which held back some of the stellar growth (in 6 reviews)

• The company is young and as a result has definitely gone through some growing pains and tested new ways to focus the go to market (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Hot startup, hotter upside"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoodData full-time

Pros

Industry Fit:
    - GoodData is not your typical BI company, and that's a very good thing. The startup is working on innovative business applications that incorporate machine learning / predictive algorithms. It's a very exciting time to be at a place that is capitalizing on this huge market opportunity.
    - Healthy variety of customers, from SMBs to large enterprises / Fortune 500 companies. The collection of logos on GoodData's website speaks for itself.
    - A top-notch Professional Services team: time and time again, I hear from my customers that GoodData's people is why they chose our platform / ecosystem over our competitors.

Culture:
    - My colleagues are very open to hearing my ideas and opinions, something that I felt was lacking in previous companies I worked at.
    - Recognition to employees who do good work.
    - My coworkers are the BEST. It's a blast working with them AND it's a pleasure hanging out with folks after work hours.
    - Great work/life balance. The GoodLife program promotes a healthy lifestyle (e.g., company-sponsored workout classes)
    - Honest conversations about areas of improvements (we have a recurring "Beers and Improvements" meeting, seriously). Also, the GoodVoices committee surveys employees and rolls out company-wide programs / initiatives to address any problematic areas.
    - Diversity: females are well represented and the presence of several international offices contributes to awesome ideas / thought leadership and a melting-pot of cultures.

Cons

GoodData is experiencing several growing pains as a result of a major strategic / go-to-market shift in 2016. As a result, there has been a fair amount of employee turnover in the past 6 months and the sales cycle is now very different. While the course correction has been necessary, the overall sentiment / attitude isn't as positive and energetic as it used to be. However, these course corrections aren't unique to GoodData - all companies (small or large) go through this. I am confident that the recent strategic will result in a stronger product and overall business health for GoodData.

Advice to Management

Continue to share priorities / shifts in strategy to the broader company so that all employees are aligned and can effectively work toward common goals.

GoodData Response

Feb 6, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you so much for your feedback! Its great to hear that our culture is aligned with the progressive and diverse needs of our talented teams. While our journey has certainly not been easy it has ... More

"Great Platform"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GoodData full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technology is flexible and can handle very complex use-cases. Some of the largest companies are using or considering GoodData for tasks that no other platform could undertake.

Cons

The challenge with any flexible platform is where to direct it. Like many small-to-mid sized companies, GoodData can sometimes be tempted to pivot too quickly from idea to idea.

Advice to Management

Hold the course. Set a clear path towards winning in a very specific segment and then do it. There is no doubt you can succeed.

"Hard but fun. Rewarding demands and a fulfilling career."

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoodData full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at GoodData, and look forward to continuing my career here. There are many opportunities to work on inspiring projects. The more I raise my hand, the more my position expands. I feel that I am able to make a positive impact on the company while also learning and gaining incredible experience. The work keeps me engaged and interested, and the people make all the difference.

Cons

Sometimes the workload is intense, but I can imagine the ebbs and flows are pretty normal in the industry.

Advice to Management

Management has done a great job recently communicating strategy and intentions. I would advise them to continue this trend and keep building on organization of trust.

"Enterprise Grade, Innovative Company"

Current Employee - Services in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Services in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoodData full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Moving to the Enterprise space was difficult but our hard work has paid off! GD has an incredible group of people who are carving a niche in a crowded space by solving a real pain point for large Enterprises. Work life balance, culture, and compensation are top notch.

Cons

While moving to the Enterprise space, GD had to make some difficult decisions and some employees had a poor transition experience. It's disappointing to see some negative reviews on this site especially when we are seeing some major wins in our leadership execution.

Advice to Management

Continue to get feedback from the employees on what's working and what's not.

"Toxic Culture"

I worked at GoodData full-time

Pros

A few years ago, the company was really fun. Office location was great. There is also flexibility to work from home.

Cons

The exec team has failed the company. The team is ineffective at managing people. Moreover, the CEO is easily manipulated and so everyone schemes to gain advantage, not by actual performance and outcomes, but through political maneuvering.

Also, pay is sub par, perks are limited, stock options are worthless. The company has been shrinking in headcount in recent years which is a sure sign that the company is heading for failure.

Lastly, the company puts a strong focus on posting fake reviews on glassdoor. This is really discouraging and demoralizing to current employees. The first step in fixing a problem is acknowledging that you have a problem. For years, Gooddata has been working furiously to hide and distract from the problem.

Advice to Management

Hire an effective management team.

"GoodData. BadLeadership."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GoodData full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have to tell you, I was really excited to work at GoodData. They have a cool product. They’re in an attractive space. They pay well and have decent benefits (besides the lack of a 401K match). There’s flexibility to work from home. There are a lot of smart people there. It’s a casual environment and there are some perks. So, to say it was a disappointment would be an understatement.

Cons

There’s so many things that could be said here--but I guess the best way to sum it up would be to say that the culture is just awful, and that’s because it’s a reflection of GoodData’s leadership.

The leadership team has a major case of “smartest guys in the room.” Once a quarter, they head to an off-site and make major reactive shifts to the corporate strategy without vetting their decisions with any data--placing the company in a constant state of “pivot.”

Then everything descends into chaos as everyone tries to figure out what it is exactly that the company does now. Between that, and the fact that the entire management layer involves themselves in literally every decision across every aspect of the business, regardless of whether or not they have any expertise in the area, it’s pretty much impossible to succeed in your job.

All of which is a real bummer….because of the pros noted above.

Advice to Management

1. Act like a data company. Vet major business decisions with research. Think through how changes will impact the company before making them.

2. Trust and care about your employees. Don’t hire people for their expertise and then actively prevent them from using any of it.

3. Please, please,please, stop posting fake Glassdoor reviews to boost your ratings. It’s so obvious it’s painful. “About to hockey stick!”, “Keep doing what you’re doing!” Maybe the HR dept. should spend their time figuring out how to FIX the toxic environment, instead of just covering it up.

"Great people, leadership is so-so"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GoodData (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with on a day to day basis are top notch, and the relationships you'll build will be ever lasting. Regular happy hours, good working hours, and ever increasing perks (paternity leave, "yay" days", off-sites).

Cons

The executive leadership could use a kick in the butt. For a company that has transparency as one of it's core tenants it lacked it in a major way. Every move was shrouded in some form of secrecy that always ensured there was plenty of gossip to go around. That gossip bred a feeling of disdain for the company and it's directions.

Every department in the company has lost key individuals, and although there has been some introspection into why I haven't seen any action being taken.

The Prague/SF divide is very real. Although it is something the leadership is aware of, there has been no movement to fix this problem.

Advice to Management

Figure out why you have a cloud hanging over everyones head, dig into what has caused people to leave, and look inwards on how to fix it. You have incredibly bright people working for you, be honest with the situation you are in because sniffing out the garbage is very easy.

I'd also recommend solving the problems between your Czech employees and US based operation.

"Great space Excellent opportunity Solid company!"

Former Employee - Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GoodData full-time

Pros

The company has the right position in a space that is becoming critical to customers.

I truly appreciate how the company has transformed from the legacy business to the new business. Doing all this while maintaining a positive culture where people enjoy working together and a company view that looks at ways to help people take on bigger roles and challenges. Love the GoodVoices and how direct employee feedback drives the key benefits.

Changes to make the company win in its space are hard but this a company that is well run and using cash wisely.

Cons

Couldn't see any significant ones during my tenure

Advice to Management

Stay the course.

"RVP"

Current Employee - RVP Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - RVP Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoodData full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A Team. Great leadership, commitment and engagement.

CEO is extremely accessible and engaged with overpowering the rest of the company.

Clear direction. Concise market identified.

Cons

Its a pre-IPO and every deal is critical, so its always life on the edge, but that true of every start-up

Advice to Management

Lets remember to take a step back every so often and look at the big picture.

"Exciting company and great place to build a career"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GoodData (More than a year)

Pros

- Highly innovative and exciting company that's disrupting analytics and creating a new market niche
    - Lots of opportunity to advance and be rewarded for good performance
    - Exceptional Senior Team that treats employees well, and rewards performance with visibility and additional responsibilities
    - Great culture, with people who are both smart and enjoyable to be around

Cons

As with many companies who are trying to disrupt a market, there is an element of continuous change and refinement, as well as the go-to-market challenges associated with creating a new market niche.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, stay above the noise, continue building the culture and make refinements based on market feedback to ensure you continue to execute successfully.