GoodData Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Roman Stanek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Recent shifts in the company that have led to more stability and new initiatives surrounding employee health and work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• There is also flexibility to work from home (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Go to Market focus has been a key topic in the company in the past which held back some of the stellar growth (in 6 reviews)

• Senior management approach made a lot of smart and talented people to leave (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Hard but fun. Rewarding demands and a fulfilling career."

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoodData full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at GoodData, and look forward to continuing my career here. There are many opportunities to work on inspiring projects. The more I raise my hand, the more my position expands. I feel that I am able to make a positive impact on the company while also learning and gaining incredible experience. The work keeps me engaged and interested, and the people make all the difference.

Cons

Sometimes the workload is intense, but I can imagine the ebbs and flows are pretty normal in the industry.

Advice to Management

Management has done a great job recently communicating strategy and intentions. I would advise them to continue this trend and keep building on organization of trust.

2. "Review"

Pros

Excellent Business Intelligence Company, excellent services and product department

Cons

Does not really have any

"Enterprise Grade, Innovative Company"

Current Employee - Services in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Services in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoodData full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Moving to the Enterprise space was difficult but our hard work has paid off! GD has an incredible group of people who are carving a niche in a crowded space by solving a real pain point for large Enterprises. Work life balance, culture, and compensation are top notch.

Cons

While moving to the Enterprise space, GD had to make some difficult decisions and some employees had a poor transition experience. It's disappointing to see some negative reviews on this site especially when we are seeing some major wins in our leadership execution.

Advice to Management

Continue to get feedback from the employees on what's working and what's not.

"The ship keeps taking on water but everyone on the bridge says full steam ahead"

I worked at GoodData full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Competitive compensation and benefits package
    -Ability to work with different groups in different areas (Prague, US Regions, Europe)
    -Majority of rank and file employees were very intelligent, fun, and (used to be) great to work with (see below about turnover)
    -Good work-life balance with some typical Silicon Valley startup perks
    -Technology still decent and relevant (assuming they don't pivot again...)
    -A lot of bright minds and great engineering talent in Prague
    -Handful of people still really try and care

Cons

-Leadership were not effective at running a company of GoodData's size and maturity, and many leaders were totally lost in such a dysfunctional environment. Many people got big title upgrades and promotions compared to previous jobs

-The leadership washing machine went like this:
    1-New manager/VP comes onboard with motivation to succeed, bought into whatever company told him/her during interview
    2-By 3-6 months, realize that it is kill or be killed at the top with a very challenging product-market fit, more finger pointing than collaboration, and survivor-style political battles and power playing
    3-Bad vibes and frustration trickle down and further beat up the morale of employees
    4-Leader is fired or leaves, is always positioned as mutual and a benefit for the company
    5-Rinse and repeat

-Operationally a dumpster fire: no consistency or efficiency in getting things done. Groups fought internally about process, policy and who clicks what box in salesforce instead of pushing business forward and working together. BigCo process in a 150 person company with less than a dozen salespeople. Cover-your-butt mentality

-Serious and growing turnover across the company, notably in executive levels, long tenured employees, support, product and other high-value roles. In other words, all the people you don't want leaving

-Culture was all talk and was toxic to the point of being insulting. It seemed like HR did try but ultimately failed to influence and improve culture. Culture is organic not dictated by management: just because you say it doesn't make it so

-Technical debt (product slow to innovate and actually deliver on important features and functionality last few years), weak market presence due to constant pivots, and tall tales and visions of "the next big thing" fall on deaf ears with tenured employees-we heard it all before and saw the lack of execution

-Many employees (in US at least) were junior as they were fresh hires and had no idea of the reality they walked into. This leads to new people coming in and further changing already sideways process according to the new direction of the day/week/month, because this is the new GoodData...again

Advice to Management

Hire an operational leader with proven results that knows what they are doing with a company of your size and scope and give him or her the power to reorganize and run the company. Reading press releases it looks like there is another big pivot happening so try to start over the right way instead extending the slow and confusing spiral downward

"Hot startup, hotter upside"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoodData full-time

Pros

Industry Fit:
    - GoodData is not your typical BI company, and that's a very good thing. The startup is working on innovative business applications that incorporate machine learning / predictive algorithms. It's a very exciting time to be at a place that is capitalizing on this huge market opportunity.
    - Healthy variety of customers, from SMBs to large enterprises / Fortune 500 companies. The collection of logos on GoodData's website speaks for itself.
    - A top-notch Professional Services team: time and time again, I hear from my customers that GoodData's people is why they chose our platform / ecosystem over our competitors.

Culture:
    - My colleagues are very open to hearing my ideas and opinions, something that I felt was lacking in previous companies I worked at.
    - Recognition to employees who do good work.
    - My coworkers are the BEST. It's a blast working with them AND it's a pleasure hanging out with folks after work hours.
    - Great work/life balance. The GoodLife program promotes a healthy lifestyle (e.g., company-sponsored workout classes)
    - Honest conversations about areas of improvements (we have a recurring "Beers and Improvements" meeting, seriously). Also, the GoodVoices committee surveys employees and rolls out company-wide programs / initiatives to address any problematic areas.
    - Diversity: females are well represented and the presence of several international offices contributes to awesome ideas / thought leadership and a melting-pot of cultures.

Cons

GoodData is experiencing several growing pains as a result of a major strategic / go-to-market shift in 2016. As a result, there has been a fair amount of employee turnover in the past 6 months and the sales cycle is now very different. While the course correction has been necessary, the overall sentiment / attitude isn't as positive and energetic as it used to be. However, these course corrections aren't unique to GoodData - all companies (small or large) go through this. I am confident that the recent strategic will result in a stronger product and overall business health for GoodData.

Advice to Management

Continue to share priorities / shifts in strategy to the broader company so that all employees are aligned and can effectively work toward common goals.

GoodData Response

Feb 6, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you so much for your feedback! Its great to hear that our culture is aligned with the progressive and diverse needs of our talented teams. While our journey has certainly not been easy it has... More

"Toxic Culture"

I worked at GoodData full-time

Pros

A few years ago, the company was really fun. Office location was great. There is also flexibility to work from home.

Cons

The exec team has failed the company. The team is ineffective at managing people. Moreover, the CEO is easily manipulated and so everyone schemes to gain advantage, not by actual performance and outcomes, but through political maneuvering.

Also, pay is sub par, perks are limited, stock options are worthless. The company has been shrinking in headcount in recent years which is a sure sign that the company is heading for failure.

Lastly, the company puts a strong focus on posting fake reviews on glassdoor. This is really discouraging and demoralizing to current employees. The first step in fixing a problem is acknowledging that you have a problem. For years, Gooddata has been working furiously to hide and distract from the problem.

Advice to Management

Hire an effective management team.

"GoodData. BadLeadership."

I worked at GoodData full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have to tell you, I was really excited to work at GoodData. They have a cool product. They’re in an attractive space. They pay well and have decent benefits (besides the lack of a 401K match). There’s flexibility to work from home. There are a lot of smart people there. It’s a casual environment and there are some perks. So, to say it was a disappointment would be an understatement.

Cons

There’s so many things that could be said here--but I guess the best way to sum it up would be to say that the culture is just awful, and that’s because it’s a reflection of GoodData’s leadership.

The leadership team has a major case of “smartest guys in the room.” Once a quarter, they head to an off-site and make major reactive shifts to the corporate strategy without vetting their decisions with any data--placing the company in a constant state of “pivot.”

Then everything descends into chaos as everyone tries to figure out what it is exactly that the company does now. Between that, and the fact that the entire management layer involves themselves in literally every decision across every aspect of the business, regardless of whether or not they have any expertise in the area, it’s pretty much impossible to succeed in your job.

All of which is a real bummer….because of the pros noted above.

Advice to Management

1. Act like a data company. Vet major business decisions with research. Think through how changes will impact the company before making them.

2. Trust and care about your employees. Don’t hire people for their expertise and then actively prevent them from using any of it.

3. Please, please,please, stop posting fake Glassdoor reviews to boost your ratings. It’s so obvious it’s painful. “About to hockey stick!”, “Keep doing what you’re doing!” Maybe the HR dept. should spend their time figuring out how to FIX the toxic environment, instead of just covering it up.

"Not a positive experience..."

I worked at GoodData full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good teammates. Honestly, not much else.

Cons

-Management did a bad job helping individuals grow. A lot of projects become repetitive, a common theme across many different teams.
    -Culture is toxic. Never worked at a place with so much politics, bullying, and validation of all that.
    -New company direction/go-to-market doesn't make any sense for the personnel on hand.
    -Senior leadership also has no idea what they're doing. Just look at the attrition across that team over the last 24 months...

"Ugly"

Pros

Good co-workers but beyond that, not so much,

Cons

Literally of the folks that were there 2-3 yrs ago, 95% are gone.

It may be better now but I tend to doubt it.

GoodData Response

Jan 23, 2017 – Director, Data Products

Thanks for your review. Retaining our top talent is a key priority for us. While this is not easy as we operate in the most competitive talent markets in the world, we take our talent metrics very... More

"Great people, leadership is so-so"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GoodData (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with on a day to day basis are top notch, and the relationships you'll build will be ever lasting. Regular happy hours, good working hours, and ever increasing perks (paternity leave, "yay" days", off-sites).

Cons

The executive leadership could use a kick in the butt. For a company that has transparency as one of it's core tenants it lacked it in a major way. Every move was shrouded in some form of secrecy that always ensured there was plenty of gossip to go around. That gossip bred a feeling of disdain for the company and it's directions.

Every department in the company has lost key individuals, and although there has been some introspection into why I haven't seen any action being taken.

The Prague/SF divide is very real. Although it is something the leadership is aware of, there has been no movement to fix this problem.

Advice to Management

Figure out why you have a cloud hanging over everyones head, dig into what has caused people to leave, and look inwards on how to fix it. You have incredibly bright people working for you, be honest with the situation you are in because sniffing out the garbage is very easy.

I'd also recommend solving the problems between your Czech employees and US based operation.