KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Former Employee

Love

Nov 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Loved it great company to work for

Cons

Have no down sides to this company

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Engineers, Terrible Management

Jul 31, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Engineering team is made up of some really great people. They have good ideas and work hard. They want to make the company successful.

Cons

Engineering management is terrible. Managers act up like little children and scream when someone disagrees with them. There is no leadership or working planning. They pat themselves on the back more than they think about what the team does. They send the team chasing wrong things then blame them when things do not work. It is a disorganized mess.

4 people found this review helpful
  3. 2.0

Labor Loopholes at Pandora co-founder’s new startup

Oct 15, 2020 - Quality Trainer in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- (Rationed) snacks, Nespresso machine... - Interesting, diverse group of coworkers from all over the Bay and the world. - Unmonitored break time - Ability to read, draw, or listen to music at your desk while working.

Cons

- Lower-than-average wages for similar data quality/entry jobs throughout the Bay Area. - No ‘perks’ for non-salaried positions. - Strict limits on amount of hours allowed per week (24). - No organization in workflow, employees were constantly having to contact people in various parts of the company to find their work for the day. - Employees routinely made to do work that was outside of their position (manual labor, in-store tests, meetings, running trainings, etc.) with no additional compensation. - Routinely required to complete data work in a strict amount of time so that investors would think a computer program had done it. - Quality Trainers regularly censored in Slack channels. - Opposed unionization using captive meetings and encouraging a hostile work environment; used COVID as an excuse to lay off Quality Training department after they unionized. - Repeatedly refused to comply to California law in providing gender-neutral restrooms, eventually several employees changed the signs themselves. - Several people were fired for policies which were not in effect at the time the supposed infractions occurred. - Emotional manipulation and blatant lies from management on a daily basis; for instance, the day before a furlough, we were given a pep talk on how we shouldn’t worry about our jobs being put in jeopardy by Amazon stores launching. - “Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Working Group” prevented at every turn from making any changes in the company; essentially were a focus group on company policy for higher-ups.

2 people found this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee

Flexible

Aug 20, 2021 - Quality Trainer in Berkeley, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working hours and environment.

Cons

Challenges with management and engineering.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Cool place

Mar 3, 2021 - Quality Trainer in Berkeley, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Snacks and stuff and a chill vibe

Cons

It was boring to do the work

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Challenging & Rewarding

Mar 11, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

We are working on something incredible: it is complex, challenging, and has never been done before. With this, comes challenges that haven't been solved yet. And that is extremely exciting and even more rewarding when achieved. We are a group of extraordinary minds with the most impressive achievements. Yet, each person is so kind, warm, open, and driven. We work hard and collaborate often. We trust each other. We rely on each other. And most of all, we enjoy working together. This is a place that encourages individualism and praises each of our unique qualities. This is no walk-in-the-park job. We're doing hard stuff. But the environment and the team make it really awesome.

Cons

Like any other startup, there are growing pains that we are working on alleviating quickly and responsibly. There are a lot of moving parts. The days go fast. Things change quickly. With that, we sometimes forget to take a step back to ensure all updates are clearly articulated across the company.

5 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Flexible with a side of Dystopian

Mar 11, 2020 - Quality Trainer in Berkeley, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This team has some of the best humans I've ever met. The quality trainers are caring, hard-working (each with multiple jobs), smart, and resourceful.

Cons

Over the year that I worked at this place, I saw a serious turn from a more casual workplace to an extremely stringent, exploitative, and punitively managed workforce. In AI development, there are many unseen people who work hard to make sure that everything works properly. HR metrics were introduced after management decided they didn't like the way something was said or done. Punishments seemed arbitrarily given out to folks who were trying to get clarity on their work tasks. There is no promotive path or options for folks unless you are 100% complicit with these policies and that has become clear. Their compliance with ADA seems to only apply to full-time folks, which begs the question-- why do you encourage so many vulnerable folks to apply? When I started here, I worked with mostly artists, students, queer folx, disabled folx, poc. Those folx were encouraged to apply and sought out through queer job boards. Over the course of the year I worked here, even part-time, my mental health declined drastically and I started to believe that I was just a screw-up. When I realized that everyone in their 1:1's were being told similar things and then forced to sign their reviews, I had to get out. Work here if you're a student. If you've been in a workplace that shows a modicum of respect for you as a human being, Grabango will not work out for you.

10 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic culture across many engineering teams

Nov 19, 2020 - Senior Engineer in Berkeley, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-- good company with a good vision -- good compensation

Cons

-- Very naive team, almost everyone is at an intern level -- Even after two years, CV team does not have anything to show, not even basic person detection or tracking, now they are hiring, but keep the incompetent engineers on payroll, for I don't know what reason -- teams often lies to management about progress -- majority of CV team members are from one foreign country, smells of incompetence and favoritism -- overall poor communication across teams -- lots of blatant lying, misinforming all over, so it feels like a very toxic environment

4 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Progressive start-up on the right track!

Oct 22, 2020 - Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

-successful commercial launch -top talent engineers -leadership office hours for entire company to attend (transparency!) -People Operations launched learning and development programs, DEI initiatives, and employee resource groups. -inclusive product (constantly being talked about on how it can improve) -career path conversations and growth opportunities - put safety and health of employees first when moving into a pandemic (WFH)

Cons

- fast-paced environment (not for everyone)

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Amazing learning and growth opportunities

Mar 11, 2020 - Machine Learning Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Joined right after grad school. Love the fact that there is tons of opportunity to learn and have an impact. Working closely with top researchers in Computer Vision is also a great asset (such as Trevor Darell) and quite rare for a startup. Core ethical values are also a part of the technology (which is important to me). Great leadership from the CEO (Will Glaser, co founder of Pandora). I feel valued, respected and appreciated by managers, and would recommend this place to friends. The technology challenges are exciting for a nerd like me, we are working on super interesting AI. Also, the Operations team is amazing and works hard to make us all feel comfortable (small things like sweet notes on your desk for Valentines day, amazing buffet every Friday, happy hours, etc... create a very nice and warm environment).

Cons

None so far. Love the place and the opportunities I was given.

5 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 23 Reviews

Grabango Reviews FAQs

60% of Grabango employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Grabango 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.5 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Grabango to be senior leadership, career development, coworkers and the cons to be culture, benefits, management.

Popular Careers with Grabango Job Seekers