Gundersen Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

Gundersen Health System Reviews

Updated Aug 12, 2019

Found 63 reviews

4.0
Gundersen Health System CEO Scott Rathgaber (no image)
Scott Rathgaber
Pros
  • "Gundersen supports its employees as much as possible(in 6 reviews)

• "Great benefits and a great place to work(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Gundersen does not hold inadequate employees responsible but instead moves them to a different position(in 3 reviews)

• "No float compensation which leaves the floor short staffed at times(in 2 reviews)

1. "Great Hospital"

Current Employee - RN - Cardio in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Gundersen Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Treat staff well, great benefits, good pay, staff work great as a team, staff is friendly, shifts are flexible.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say.

Gundersen Health System2019-02-04
  2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Clinic RN in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Gundersen Health System full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company motto is "excellence" and I believe this is a commitment of all employees from the CEO and administration to management, clinic and hospital staff. I worked there for 8 years and learned a lot about how leadership can be executed well and how to involve employees who do the work in shared decision-making.

Cons

All companies have there ups and downs, growing pains and individuals with bad attitudes, but Gundersen strives to care for individuals as well as the whole company.

Gundersen Health System2019-08-12
  3. "Pretty solid place to work"

Former Employee - Caregiver

I worked at Gundersen Health System part-time for more than a year

Pros

The hours were good and allowed for some flexibility

Cons

It seemed difficult at times to keep enough staff

Gundersen Health System2019-07-17
  4. "Okay place to work"

Current Employee - Dietary Aide in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Gundersen Health System part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent to good pay for an easy job

Cons

Supervisors are a joke and co-workers are lazy.

Gundersen Health System2019-07-24
  5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Environmental Services Supervisor

I have been working at Gundersen Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, sense of togetherness, really feel appreciated

Cons

Some departments look down on others, pay isn't very competitive for some positions, Union position jobs should not be Union due to it being a poor one.

Gundersen Health System2019-07-09

"Flashes of excellence marred by chronic mediocrity"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Gundersen Health System full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lower than average nurse to patient ratios throughout the hospital. Reasonable attempts to keep up to date with technology. Good equipment. Most nurses are competent and strive to provide great care. The nursing staff are what keep it worth sticking around. The unit level managers really do care about their staff and try to do what they can to improve retention. Non-salary benefits are adequate.

Cons

You really are a number when you're an RN at Gundersen. Members of clinical management once informed us there are three nursing schools nearby and you can easily be replaced if you don't like the way things are. There are no incentives to perform beyond mediocrity aside from being shouldering additional committee/project work. The pay is not competitive (~$5+ an hour deficit) with other organizations that draw... nurses from the region like Mayo, UW Health and the Twin Cities organizations. Experience isn't consistently a benefit when you come from another organization in terms of pay. Everyone gets the same raises across the board year after year creating a wage stagnation issue for staff (but a boon for the organization). Problem employees are moved around departments until people stop bringing concerns to management.

Advice to Management

Trust your nurses more. We can't be trusted to check our email at home but we can give potentially lethal medications? Create true shared governance for nurses and other interdisciplinary staff. Stop mandating continuing your nursing education with zero true financial incentives to do so. Many great ADN to BSN nurses walk out the door to other organizations when they realize that having their BSN or becoming an NP... will better serve their career and pocketbook elsewhere. Stop using small rural (non direct competitor) systems in Iowa and elsewhere to run salary comparison analyses when your direct competitors for staff are Mayo locations, UW Health and Twin Cities systems. Staff in school at Winona and Viterbo are directly steering their classmates elsewhere, and there has been little done to attempt to curb this chronic issue by improving work conditions. There are no clear pathways to advancement opportunities beyond leaving the bedside with their current nursing professional framework (which is a circle with no beginning or end). Many great care goal initiatives chronically fall by the wayside once the next "great thing" comes out in the AJN, JONA or Nurse Executive, or someone in management is finishing their DNP or MBA and needs a project. This leads to staff having little faith or reason to get behind *any* initiatives after they experience a couple of rounds through this spin cycle. Senior leadership is disconnected from what really matters to staff at the patient unit level. Being an exclusively physician-led organization is better than a board of clinically disinterested "what's the bottom line" shareholders, but it hinders growth and creates a one-dimensional view of the world. It also creates the distinct feeling of being a Physician's Country Club at the expense of all other members of the interdisciplinary team. We're worried about somehow saving millions of dollars but aren't willing to make true meaningful change to achieve those savings. Skipping nurses week gifts and not even making mention of it being nurses week (you've seen to it that we're a well educated workforce, and we notice little things like that) isn't going to make any significant difference to the bottom line. Look outside the organization for management staff in departments with chronic leadership turnover, there's too much of a myopic view from years of home-grown advancement without infusing new ideas once in a while. Many chronically unfilled MD/DO roles could also be filled with APP staff, but will instead sit open for months due to La Crosse being a tough draw for physicians from other parts of the country. The provider shortage will only worsen in the coming years as we become an increasingly large organization (merger not withstanding) focused on purchasing clinics and critical access hospitals in dying rural areas.

Gundersen Health System2019-07-10
  7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant

I have been working at Gundersen Health System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Gundersen supports its employees as much as possible. Makes fair wages for your work

Cons

Gundersen in large and sometimes so much so that you may not feel as appreciated for what you di for the patients, trying to get appoints in and out of the door

Gundersen Health System2019-05-22
  8. "Great pay/benefits, unfortunate work relationships"

Former Employee - IS Support Specialist I

I worked at Gundersen Health System full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits and different shifts

Cons

Some employees are problem children for whole departments, no punishments are given and whole team can suffer.

Gundersen Health System2019-02-17
  9. "Great place to work at"

I have been working at Gundersen Health System part-time

Pros

Great benefits and a great place to work

Cons

None That I can think of

Gundersen Health System2019-01-25
  10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Gundersen Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay for a smaller town

Cons

Lab Management Hours Rotating Overnight weekends when you start

Gundersen Health System2019-01-21