Hawkes Learning Reviews

Updated May 4, 2021

3.7
Hawkes Learning President Jim Hawkes (no image)
Jim Hawkes
  1. 5.0

Great place to work!

May 4, 2021 - Customer Service Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Thorough support from management and team.

Cons

Can be a learning curve.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great employer to work for

Nov 18, 2020 - Systems Analyst in Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is a Family like environment

Cons

Can be a drive, with traffic, depending on where you live.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture, flexible work environment

Jul 1, 2020 - Training and Support
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility with work schedule to promote healthy work/life balance, supportive culture and management, trust is given to complete your job responsibilities without management constantly checking in.

Cons

Very customer focused company, always want to do everything for the customers, but sometimes it's not realistic or achievable.

2 people found this review helpful

Benefits Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to submit your thoughts about Hawkes. We're glad you've sensed the trust and supportive nature of our managers that we work hard to make part of our culture. We appreciate everything you do for us!

4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A Lot of Potential, But Misses the Mark

Jun 29, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Mount Pleasant, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Hawkes is great at finding really talented, high quality employees. Unfortunately, time and again they squander the opportunities they have to empower and grow these employees, opting instead to settle for dissatisfaction and high turnover rate because they don't appreciate or respect the employees they have. -Hawkes customers are generally fantastic to work with and there is a shared passion for bettering education on campuses.

Cons

-There is a disconnect between the culture Hawkes advertises (flexibility, laid back "family style" office, open to feedback) and the culture that exists. The culture that exists discourages friendships between departments (Sales and Training and Support or between Marketing and Sales etc.), rejects new ideas or critical feedback, and takes away (even a high performing) employee's autonomy by limiting their ability to work from home and micromanaging their progress. -The culture that exists seems to be slightly different depending on if you work upstairs (Marketing, Sales, TSRs, Tech Support etc) or downstairs (Content, Product, Devs etc.) in terms of flexibility and autonomy. - Management has lots of room to improve in their communication between one another and between their employees. I found my manager to be disorganized, insincere, and more of a hinderance to getting my job done successfully than as someone who empowered me to grow and work efficiently. There is very little transparency between departments, within a team, nor between a manager and their employee. This lack of communication causes inefficiencies in processes, redundant work across departments, and leaves employees without a clear understanding of their performance and areas of improvement. -There is a culture of fear perpetuated by management, that discourages employees from speaking up, and I spoke to other employees who, even though they were high performers, were constantly worried they would be fired because managers were quick to reprimand an employee for a mistake, but were slow to give constructive feedback or acknowledgement for a job well done. -Overall there is a feeling that the bottom line is more important than creating long lasting solutions for Hawkes' customers or creating a welcoming, inclusive, and functional place for employees to do great work. The company puts bandaids and short term solutions on problems they could be leading the industry in. -Hawkes has neglected to create opportunities for talented employees to succeed and there are little opportunities for growth within the company. Most of management has had a long tenure there and this juxtaposition between the long retention of their management, but an average of 1-2 years for their non management employees highlights the company's resistance to evolve and a closed-mindedness to feedback.

8 people found this review helpful

Benefits Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review and sharing your thoughts about your time with Hawkes Learning. The overall culture and team atmosphere at our company is something that is very important to us to continuously cultivate, and we’re glad to hear that you noted our dedication to both our customers and student education. We are working hard on organizational communication and will consider your suggestions to ensure our leadership team is one that our employees trust. Similarly, providing employees with opportunities to grow in the company and their careers is a critical focus for us, so we will take a close look at opportunities for improvement in ways that we can help our employees succeed. Our strength as an organization comes from the incredible employees that we hire. We know that we will always have room to grow as an organization and are constantly seeking to better ourselves. Thank you again for sharing your feedback, and we wish you the best in your career.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Rewarding, professional growth, supportive environment

Oct 30, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Mount Pleasant, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

-staff celebrations (we find a way to celebrate anything whether it’s a holiday or a Mac and cheese day!) -flexibility -supportive environment -incredible people -great training program

Cons

Since it’s located in Mount Pleasant, it may be a long commute depending on where you live. Charleston is a beautiful, growing city, so the traffic may be tricky. Make sure to ask staff’s opinion on the surrounding areas and their commutes during interview process as you consider where to relocate to. My colleagues and I commute from all over the Charleston area, so it’s doable, but definitely easiest if you live in Mount Pleasant!

2 people found this review helpful

Benefits Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to submit your thoughts about Hawkes. We're glad you've sensed supportive and celebratory environment that we've worked hard to make part of our culture. We will continue working on our organizational communication and are open to suggestions. We appreciate everything you do for us!

6. 5.0

NA

May 10, 2020 - Graphic Designer in Mount Pleasant, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very supportive team and company

Cons

There are none so far.

Benefits Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to submit your thoughts about Hawkes. We're glad you've enjoyed your time with Hawkes and have noticed the supportive culture within your team. We appreciate everything you do for us!

7. 5.0

Shipping Assistant

Aug 22, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment. Pay was decent.

Cons

Management was not worried about employees enough.

1 person found this review helpful

Benefits Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to submit your thoughts about Hawkes. While we know that we will always have room to grow as an organization, we're glad you've sensed the great environment at Hawkes. We will take a close look at how our managers can better support employees and work hard to find ways that we can improve in this area. We appreciate everything you do for us!

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A Terrible Experience

Apr 7, 2017 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

From my time at Hawkes, I met a fair share of kind people and honest employees, and was reminded of just how extreme a bad work environment can be.

Cons

Leave your dignity at the door! While I can certainly say that I met a lot of wonderful people there, I can also say that I met and worked with terrible ones. Of course, one expects to have to work with some jerks wherever they're employed, but this was truly different. Some employees should have truly been handed a box and thrown out immediately for their mistreatment of others. I was taken advantage of by the supervisors, who knew they were understaffed, in efforts to keep me there. I was also spoken to, numerous times, like a parent reprimanding a mischievous child or perhaps a stray dog. The design area was particularly atrocious: belittling, demeaning, and with absolutely no evident interest in keeping a coworker motivated through the use of any sort of constructive criticism. They were constantly understaffed, and I was able to see why. Ultimately, employees carrying this idea that demeaning another on such a personal level is in any way a form of professional criticism is only an embarrassment to themselves. I was able to walk away with this knowledge, and with my dignity intact. I cannot say the same in regards to dignity for the aforementioned.

9 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0

All Around Disappointing Experience

Jun 20, 2014 - Sales Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Travel Opportunities and Solid benefit options

Cons

Unrealistic Goals, Micromanaging Leadership, Unorganized Company, Impatient/Underhanded/Unforgiving Managers, Ridiculously cheap travel budget, Ruthless turnover, does not value employees, terrible work life balance, etc.

3 people found this review helpful

Benefits Coordinator

At Hawkes, we acknowledge and respect open and honest communication. It is important to take into consideration different opinions and while we were troubled to hear about your experience at Hawkes, we certainly value feedback. We understand that our company culture is ever evolving and developing as we grow. Our goal is to always make sure our team members come first. We utilize the opinions shared in order to make Hawkes the great place to work that it is.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic Experience - Company Cares about You!

Sep 3, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a family-styled company so lots of opportunities to grow and develop. Your opinion is valued and you get to provide input in many areas. Lots of flexibility and a great management team that works with you. Company cares about you and makes an effort to incorporate your suggestions and feedback. Also, great benefits and nice office culture.

Cons

This is a smaller company so sometimes not everything is possible. Also, depending on your position you may travel heavily during certain times of the year. However, management works to offset this during less busy times.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 31 Reviews