HealthMarkets Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
HealthMarkets President and CEO Kenneth J. (Ken) Fasola
Kenneth J. (Ken) Fasola

Pros
  • work/life balance, and being able to help people (in 6 reviews)

• Other agents are very willing to help you with anything you need (in 5 reviews)

"Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Agent (Business Owner) in Independence, OH
    Current Employee - Agent (Business Owner) in Independence, OH

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The HealthMarkets Business Model provides all the advantages necessary to be a leader in individual health, small employer group health, Medicare, long-term care, disability, income protection, supplemental products, cancer, critical illness, accident, dental, vision, and life insurance industry.

HealthMarkets support the agents with initial training followed by continuous training from carrier partners, Sales Leaders, Top Producing Agents, weekly academy calls review topics which help us run a profitable business.

Great vendor relations (Co-Op Advertising for TV advertising, Bill Boards, etc.). Not unusual for carriers like Anthem, Aetna, Medical Mutual, UnitedHealth Care to partner with us with local marketing.

HealthMarkets provides matching marketing money, monthly marketing bonuses that are based on individual production; everyone receives a Free Agent Website, is involved in a Social Media local listing program, business Facebook page, Carrier Contest, HealthMarkets Contest (Many of us will be going to Monaco for our yearly Celebration). Currently there is a HealthMarkets Life Contest plus a Carrier Life Contest so as an agent we sometimes will benefit from internal and external contests on the same sales.
    HealthMarkets pays advances (usually 8-months times the monthly commission) two times a week plus residual income is paid out in the middle of the week so agents serious about developing a career and growing a business have cash flow to do so.
     From a career perspective HealthMarkets invest in the career agent through a stock program. First year agents receive shares of stock based on their production in our office we have several agents that have received $30,000 plus and couple of agents that received $36,000. All agents have an opportunity in their 2nd year forward to participate in a stock matching program and receive a 50% match.
    As an agent I am still amazed with all the technology advantages I have compared to others in my industry. HealthMarkets provides all agents with a Mobile Phone Application to reach clients within seconds of receiving leads, plus the mobile application is a way to track leads, live transfers and pre-set appointments and have access to a wealth of knowledge on the HealthMarkets Resource Center.
    In addition, every agent has access to Microsoft Dynamics CRM tool (Customer Relationship Management) for managing their clients, following up on policy reviews, identifying their best clients all with a few clicks of a button. Today in our Weekly Sales Meeting one of the Sales Leaders demonstrated how he pulled a list of his client’s and prospects that live near a community event he will be involved in and showed us how to send out a personalized bulk email. Of course, he can call and personally invite everyone on that list too.
    In recap if you are hard worker, willing to learn, open to change and looking to be a business owner HealthMarkets Independence office is a great opportunity.

Cons

This is a business that requires discipline, organizational skills, willingness to learn, positive mental attitude and doing what is right always.

If you are up to the challenge HealthMarkets is a great opportunity.

Advice to Management

Continue to Top Grade and challlenge us to be the very best in the industry.

2. "Agents Beware It's Easier To Lose Money than Make it"

Former Employee - Agent in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Agent in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at HealthMarkets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young agents can get access rather broad training information online.

Cons

Agents pay for everything and you will spend a fortune on gas, tolls, maintenance. marketing, licensing and other costs before you will see any commission revenue.
    Live Leads cost $65 each whether they close or not. Agents working Medicare business could wait 6 months before seeing any commissions. Agents in Under 65 Market can spend time enrolling people in Exchange for no commission. Depending on your local office you may not have your preferred carriers and the office can be rife with nepotism like the office in Silver Spring MD.
    Difficult to track commission earning and get paid. When you leave the company will quickly forward your account to a collection agency even if their numbers are inaccurate. They will also refuse to grant carrier releases and keep any future commissions paid on your clients.

Advice to Management

Invest in new agents instead of making your profits off their backs.

"Good Startup ROI service company"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at HealthMarkets full-time

Pros

Good work environment. No micromanagement.

Cons

Low pay. Management needs to look into benefits package and revamp!

Advice to Management

Increase salaries ASAP especially for sales.

"Awesome Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a great place for those looking to be independent yet have the support of a large organization. Along with that support you receive many very valuable currencies including by not limited to:
    * A Proprietary Lead Distribution System
    *Access to Multiple Carriers in Multiple Lines of Business
    *Access to Great Training and Mentors that are really focused on your success
    *A Home Office leadership team that is always looking around the corner for new opportunities in a consistantly changing Health Care landscape. This keeps us one step ahead of the competition
    *Something No Other oragnization in our space is giving Independents.....ownership in the company that they are helping build
    You must be willing to work hard. No free lunch. But an Awesome Career Opportunity

Cons

The Insurance industry is a changing landscape. You must come in with your eyes wide open and understand that it will take work to get up to speed and work to stay up to speed with the changes. But this is also the beauty of this organization. They are always one step ahead.

"Great place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many carriers and lines of business. More products being added. Excellent training.

Cons

Soooo busy during open enrollmnent, lucrative but tiring

Advice to Management

Keep adding carriers and new products

"Great Company for Go Getters"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training, education, product availability, personal support and assistance with growth, helps YOU build your OWN business.

Cons

Mindset of current agents, they are not agents they are advisors.

"Good Company, Bad Product"

Former Employee - Independent Agent in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Independent Agent in Raleigh, NC

I worked at HealthMarkets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The technology is incredible, you are provided a professional email address, website, office location if needed and periodic training. The people and leadership are top notch, but once you fall below the top performers you are left on your own with no support.

Cons

I was only given 3 training opportunities originally and not one of those made a sale. You are representing healthcare.gov, but you are not getting paid for any of those sales, that representation is simply a key to get in the door. You are expected to sell supplements for your income. By the time a client is paying for their healthcare premiums there is not a lot in their budget for supplements. If you do get lucky and sell a vision plan your pay is only 22% of the annual premium.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to get your agents paid for the health insurance sales. Field training should include at least one session with a sales leader and should offer at least 3 different senior agents and not just one to see different styles and techniques.

"Former Agent - Now they have sent debt collectors after me."

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Atlanta, GA

Pros

They have good technology - CRM application was a good asset.

Cons

Went to work there as an agent in good faith to sell health insurance only to find out that you do not get paid for selling those policies. You are put under high pressure to sell their own proprietary SureBridge supplemental policies. Furthermore, after leaving, HealthMarkets has sent a collection agency after me claiming I owe them money for my time spent there. Given that I am trying to provide for my family as the bread winner, I find their conduct in this regard completely incomprehensible.

Advice to Management

None

"Not Your Typical Agency"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH

I worked at HealthMarkets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and decent client management technology although it's not required to run an insurance business.

Cons

This is a sinking ship. Agents jumping ship left and right. They are named after an insurance product "Health" that does not pay any commission. The name does not help at all with other lines of business. You have to wonder about the managers who made that decision. Also this company will not have your back if you follow their sales strategy of packaging supplemental insurance with health and get a complaint. Bottom line you are independent when it's convenient for them. Best practice for any job search is to talk to former employees not current ones because they are not afraid to lose their jobs.

Advice to Management

Agents make you profit so treat them better. Listen once in a while.

"Constant Change to match the change in your pocket"

Former Employee - Agent in Independence, OH
    Former Employee - Agent in Independence, OH

I worked at HealthMarkets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

there is not pros to this place

Cons

single out 1 or 2 agents weekly.
    want you to work 24/7
    want you to buy their junk leads
    want you to call their junk leads
    driving to leads, calling leads, churn and burn selling leads
    time to play insurance agent

this place is a total joke, want you to open a storefront to get very, very little commission

Advice to Management

i cant believe you guys are even still in business. give it up and close the doors, writing is on the wall. When I was there they couldnt even keep an agent I stayed as long as I could to make less than $9k for a year