HealthMarkets Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
HealthMarkets President and CEO Kenneth J. (Ken) Fasola
Kenneth J. (Ken) Fasola

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home at your own pace, Lead program, CRM" (in 8 reviews)

• "For those looking for a way to control your income, work hours, work-life balance, HealthMarkets is the right place for you" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Opportunity that you must work at to succeed"

Current Employee - Insurance Broker in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Insurance Broker in San Diego, CA

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are your own boss, able to balance family and work, very financially rewarding if you put in the effort, surrounded by great people

Cons

I have no cons for Health Markets. You have to work, success in this business is earned

Advice to Management

I've only met Southern California management. They are all GREAT!!!

2. "It’s what you make of it"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent

I have been working at HealthMarkets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, full control of your income, CRM, opportunity to work remotely, bonuses. Trips are a nice perk. Many people don’t make it because they don’t put in the effort. If people just picked up the phone and dialed, the money starts coming. First real month for me was last December. I made $5500 that month in my first month of calling and using the leads. Now only 9 months later I average 7k to 8k a month. My book is growing by the day and I will double these numbers in less than another year. No doubt. Has been really nice so far in the short time I’ve been with the company, and I haven’t even started Medicare yet.

Cons

None. You have to work at the job and get on the phone with warm leads. Not for everyone, but those that put in the effort will be rewarded for their efforts.

Advice to Management

I’ll think about this... So far so good

3. "Opportunity"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at HealthMarkets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home at your own pace, Lead program, CRM.

Cons

Just like any business, time and consistency before you reach a comfortable level to survive.

"Rewarding experience with excellent leaders"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in North Richland Hills, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in North Richland Hills, TX

I worked at HealthMarkets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

HealthMarkets is a wonderful company to build a career with. It is no wonder many employees have 10+ years of service here. The Marketing team, as well as many other departments within the company, has incredible leadership that really listen to your professional goals and will help you get there. My role was challenging but fun, and because of the guidance from my leaders, I have grown so much. Having effective communicators as managers is invaluable, and I was fortunate to have just that.

The are company events throughout the year that give employees the opportunity to meet and socialize with other departments, such as Summer Olympics, a holiday luncheon, ice cream socials, and more.

Cons

There is a limited number of company holidays.

5. "Sales agent"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at HealthMarkets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company. Generally well-run and forward thinking.

Cons

None. Good place to work.

6. "great for self starters who can afford to not be paid sometimes"

Pros

flexible hours and the ability to wear whatever you want. also uncapped commissions

Cons

work only for commissions, have meetings that take up time but that you don't get paid a cent for

7. "Insurance Agent"

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time

Pros

Great company to work for!

Cons

None to speak of, if you work your business every day.

8. "CORRESPONDENT PRODUCER"

Pros

Dynamic workforce and tools and eager for you to produce.

Cons

Laid off its tough argue with that

Advice to Management

Appreciate good people

9. "VP of Sales"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for if you are willing to work hard.

Cons

May not be for you if you are not willing to prospect over the phone.

"The Truth"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are in a place where you have no real opportunities because of a sketchy past (ex junkie, over 35 with no real education, etc..) this could be a good place for you.

Cons

This company is basically a more polished "Boiler Room". They find agents who know little to nothing about the industry, sell them on how great the company is & then use them up till they either quit or realize that they are being taken advantage and move on. Management cares nothing about anyone & they make nothing but short term greedy decisions to prop up the stock price so they can sell this lemon to some sucker. They keep 40-60% of the commissions & act like they "reinvest " it back into the agents. They don't.. they try & get agents to open up store fronts with their logos and brand (overhead). The CEO (Fasola) .... fast talking salesman, starts every speech (salespitch) with how good the "Company" is doing yet never asks how anyone is doing. He took over from the last crook (Hildebrand) who all but stole 20million from agents. There are probably 100 veteran brokers & agents who have been there for a long time (from back when it was a good place) that really keep the place going, but they are only there so when the company does sell, they can cash out the stock they've accumulated. When this place does sell, the Sr. Managment will all cash out with millions & walk away, those 100 brokers who keep this chop shop running will also bail & the sucker who buys it is going to have wasted a boat load of money. Very simple... the leadership here uses people, steals their money, lies about everything & continues to run this place into the dirt. Its shocking how well they con many of the agents & sales managers. They literally have sales managers who dont get paid anything for being managers to certain agents & they make them believe it's their fault (only agency in the country who does this & somehow they've conned these idiots into it). If you're thinking of working here, know this... 10yrs ago there were over 8000 contracted agents nationally. Today it's like 1800. They will tell you that they sell more with fewer agents and have learned to be "efficient " but that's just code for , everyone who has been around and is not a corporate employee has left this place .

Advice to Management

What's the point, you're all liers & are going to keep on doing what you're doing till you sell the lemon, make your money & leave this huge mess you've created to the next guy.