HealthMarkets Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
HealthMarkets President and CEO Kenneth J. (Ken) Fasola
Kenneth J. (Ken) Fasola

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • For those looking for a way to control your income, work hours, work-life balance, HealthMarkets is the right place for you (in 8 reviews)

• The group here works together and are willing to help (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The health insurance industry is not an ideal industry to be in ever since Obamacare (in 15 reviews)

• Not all but most supervisor level (Sales Leaders) want you to succeed for them not for you (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great environment"

Current Employee - Independent Agent in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Independent Agent in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office I work out of is VERY supportive of new agents; every one of the veterans are more than willing to answer questions and provide assistance to newer people. As a newbie to the insurance industry, this is very important. The times I've called corporate help lines, they have provided fast and concise answers to my questions. Commissions are paid fast (within days of the policy being issued). If you're looking to break into the industry, this is the place to be. If you want to be self-employed, this is the way to go. The support of a job, with the freedom to work as much or as little as you want. You decide what you want.

Cons

You have to manage yourself and your own time. If you're the type of person who has to have a boss telling you when to start and what to do, look elsewhere. Nobody is cracking the whip over you.

Advice to Management

None

"Too many Chiefs"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in North Richland Hills, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in North Richland Hills, TX

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good flexibility in work schedules . Business seems to growing again now that they are removing the outsourcing of internal business.

Cons

Lots of market uncertainty causes fear among employees. Management does not connect with the employees. To many chiefs and not enough workers.

3. "Company steals from their AGENTS!"

Current Employee - Agent in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Agent in Detroit, MI

I have been working at HealthMarkets part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When your new clueless and have never done insurance before they do give you a base of tools to help get you off the ground floor as long as you are willing to put in the work. If you get the right manager they will care and really help you in first 6 months.

Cons

COmmission. Commisison is a joke. I was there for 7 years. I have been independent for 3 years. I don't even like to think about how much money I gave up in that time. The stock program is a joke too. If you took the money you put in it and I would have put it on the market for those 7 years I would have done 10 times better than what the stock did. Fools gold just to justify them stealing from your commissions. At Healthmarkets they take about 50% of first year commissions from you of what you would get if you went to a smaller more independent agency or independent. Second year and beyond is where they really steal from you. They take over 75% of your 2nd year and beyond. That is a joke!!!! Anyone there as an agent who thinks that they make up for it is out of mind crazy dillusional!!!! Lead forward is a joke as well. Great you get lead forward money. Ok your still paying for the leads and most of time lead forward price is more than what you would pay if you just negotiated with one of those vendors yourself. Even if they do contribute some it does not even close to make up how much comp they steal from you. It is honnestly laughable. WHen I go to insurance events and see these clown agents still thinking they are at the best place I just feel bad for them. They are in denial and they don't realize it takes them to write 3 policies to make what I made on 1.

Advice to Management

Stop stealing from your agents!!! your comp is a joke!!! The Sales leaders won't say anything because they steal some of that comp too and if they leave they don't get to keep their over ride renewals. The Sales leaders are stuck there. Do not listen to their BS.

4. "Insurance Agent"

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been an agent with this organization for 28 years!!!!!
    Love this company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons

I would not still be here if I were not happy!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks so much for the opportunity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Joining HealthMarkets was the best decision I ever made."

Current Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lead generation program, stock program, ongoing training on every aspect of the business, 24/7 support.

Cons

None right now, so many good things happening with this company.

Advice to Management

So excited about the positive changes in store. Keep doing what you are doing,

"Great Career"

Current Employee - Insurance Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Insurance Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of support and help is available! Provides a self regulated schedule which gives you the freedom to create your own schedule. The income potential is incredibly high.

Cons

Not great for those that are not self driven or willing to put in hard work!

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love the culture and environment of HM. I was a single mom with two kids and I was struggling to find a career where I could be a mom and work. The cost of Day care was the same as my base salary at other careers. I really wanted a career where I could be my own boss and not give up raising my own kids. When I found HealthMarkets I only had 500 dollars to my name. The fast pay and commission schedule allowed me to start making money with in the first 30 days AND work from home. Best part is my income in not capped. I can earn as much or as little as I need. I am strictly commission. I know that scares people but it empowered me. The only person that could fail was me and that was not an option for me. I had two kids I had to feed. Healthmarkets allowed me to be a mom and own my own business. I create my own schedule and I love it. Everyday I Thank God for where I am at. Family comes first and I can do that here. I am also a Veteran. The support and love they give to us is amazing. Healthmarkets is my 2nd family. It just isnt a place I work at. Its a place where I help build my future and others peoples futures. I now teach people to do what I did. I know the struggle of being broke and not able to breath. I now know the taste of success and I wont allow myself to go back to that place. That place , made me hungry and helped me be successful here. There is so much opportunity here. The key for me is to be able to help every single person that crosses my desk. I do not turn anyone away. Being an independent broker allows me to be an advisor to my clients Not a sales person. If you want a place that cares about its people and cares about your success this is your new home.

Cons

Commission and Creating your own schedule
    You need to be a self starter and able to focus on the action steps to help you succeed.

Advice to Management

I am Thankful for my leadership and those who have guided me over the years. I would not be here with out them. This is a fast pace industry that changes fast and Healthmarkets always seems to be one step ahead. I believe that is due to listening to the agents and watching the market trends. Embracing change and not running from it.

"Agent"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at HealthMarkets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good training program but after that...

Cons

After a year I still have not been paid for policies that I sold.
    They are impossible to contact.
    They do respond in a timely basis.
    They are not helpful or considerate.

9. "An Unbelievable Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many pro's but a few of them is HealthMarkets is on top of everything happening with this crazy time in health insurance. The technology is awesome. HealthMarkets gives you everything you need to be successful. The opportunity at HealthMarkets is beyond anything you can imagine.

Cons

Well a con would be if you are not disciplined enough to be a self starter then this is not for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Blessed to be a part of HealthMarkets"

Current Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Austin, TX

I have been working at HealthMarkets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Words cannot express my excitement and appreciation for the opportunities the future holds with HealthMarkets. I feel I have found my forever home in my career, and having the support and knowledge that everyone is so happy to share, has made this such an exemplary experience. It has enabled me to do what I need to do for my family and also spend time on my passion of helping people. I have had many personal obstacles throughout the time that I have been here at HealthMarkets and cannot wait to start showing my real potential. Having the meetings with everyone there was every bit of motivation I needed and really lit a fire under me. The strategies that were shared from the top producers really gave me everything I needed to organize my time and life in a way that will launch me into success that I never could have imagined

Cons

No downsides, just follow the process, be diligent and resilient, and with the work you put in you will see the fruits of your labor.