KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

HealthMarkets Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2022

Found 337 of over 440 reviews

3.6
HealthMarkets President Mark Smith (no image)
Mark Smith

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great Training followed by fantastic support in a office that wants you to succeed!(in 36 reviews)
  • "Great people to work with.(in 13 reviews)
  • "The insurance industry is a great income for those who work very hard, and HealthMarkets makes it easy to get up and going.(in 7 reviews)
  • "Health Markets provides a great opportunity to begin a career building your own business.(in 7 reviews)
  • "Great leadership, technology and sharing of best practices.(in 7 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of HealthMarkets and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years
    Featured Review

Working at HealthMarkets

Jul 28, 2021 - Senior Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working environment and high compensation. They care about their agents and brokers and do everything they can to support them

Cons

None. A license is required of all agents. Periodic Certifications for specific product lines are required

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company

Jun 29, 2021 - Insurance Broker
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Very difficult to start out in.

3. 3.0
    Current Employee

Changing leadership and changing pace

Apr 21, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pays well Immediate managers are amazing

Cons

Lots of changes to senior management Pace, direction, and projects shift often

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

So so company

Apr 5, 2022 - Customer Service Representative in North Richland Hills, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and great employees

Cons

Micromanagement was quite irritating most times

5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not a bad place to work

Feb 19, 2022 - Insurance Agent in Brentwood, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of independence, lots of support, good offering of carriers and supplements, decent commissions.

Cons

Lots of chargebacks, high lead cost.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good company

Feb 20, 2022 - Market Area Representative in Omaha, NE
    Business Outlook

Pros

Scott was an excellent manager. Had plenty of prospects to call. Other agents were helpful. Atmosphere of teamwork.

Cons

Many training modules to go through.

7. 3.0

Tech

Jan 28, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

good company, nice work environment

Cons

not too many cons for here

8. 1.0

Just don’t.

Feb 17, 2022 - Sales Agent
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can make your own hours

Cons

Unethical sales practices Horrible sales leaders Low commissions Fees for leaving the company

9. 1.0
    Former Employee

Don’t work for this disingenuous company.

Jan 27, 2022 - Licensed Insurance Agent
    Business Outlook

Pros

The online courses they have you do before you can write your own business is a great learning tool, especially for a green agent like myself. That was pretty much it!

Cons

Whatever you do don’t get sick and have to stay in the hospital for an extended length of time or they will first suspend you then terminate you without even calling you to see why you’ve been no contact for 6 weeks. As I was finishing up my online coursework and signing up with all the medical carriers I fell gravely ill. I was hospitalized for a little over 6 weeks, with 4 of those weeks in a medically induced coma for a neurological issue. Not once did anyone from my office call either my phone which my husband had, nor his phone, he was my emergency contact. When I was finally able to call them on Jan 4 I got no answer and the voicemail was full. I sent an email explaining that I was in the hospital and that I wanted to either finish up my course work or start over once I got an all clear from my doctors. I was told sorry about your health but because you didn’t contact us we had to suspend you. And after we didn’t hear from you about your suspension we terminated you. I again said I was very sick in the hospital and that I couldn’t communicate with anyone let alone call the office. I implored to please allow me to be reinstated due to medical issues as I could not help that. She said sorry but that’s the way it is. I then get a letter in the mail stating I can’t sell any health insurance until 6 months and if I owe any money I must pay it before I cdd as n start writing business again. Well since I wasn’t completely done with their course work and never wrote any business why are they holding me captive?

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Awesome Career

Dec 14, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to build your last Career. Great support and Great Opportunity for someone looking to set their own income.

Cons

Must have self discipline and personal drive.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 337 Reviews

HealthMarkets Reviews FAQs

HealthMarkets has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 440 reviews left anonymously by employees. 80% of employees would recommend working at HealthMarkets to a friend and 73% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -12% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, HealthMarkets employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at HealthMarkets. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

80% of HealthMarkets employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated HealthMarkets 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at HealthMarkets to be culture, management, career development and the cons to be senior leadership, benefits, compensation.

Popular Careers with HealthMarkets Job Seekers