HealthTap Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
HealthTap Founder & CEO Ron Gutman
Ron Gutman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • But when you create a core team with these traits, you have a small group of people with which even the hardest problems are solvable (in 7 reviews)

• a place to truly have the impacts to change the world, (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Tough to find a work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• There is a lot of pressure to work long, hard hours and have a "healthy sense of urgency" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting, energizing, challenging, impactful"

Pros

The people here are smart, they work hard, they're good people. The tech we create will help people universally worldwide and is game-changing. The market expectations and social responsibility is huge. This is the place to be.

Cons

Based on what we hear in company meetings in terms of what is coming up in this year, the needs will be high for more hands on deck. We need to build hiring momentum SIGNIFICANTLY on all fronts

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing because clearly something is working well. But don't lose the goodness in the people and mission along the way. And never stop improving and optimizing the company!

2. "Awesome People - Lots of great stuff to do!"

Current Employee - Marketing Team Leader in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Team Leader in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HealthTap has an amazing group of people. They are super excited about what they are doing and mission driven. Tons of passion. They work hard but have a lot of fun doing it! I'm really glad to be here. The opportunities for this company are truly open ended.

Cons

The company is growing fast and going through the transition from a small startup to a large startup. With that comes the usual things - not enough process for getting things done and a lot of switching gears all the time. If you like a rigid structure - this is probably not the best place for you.

"Troubled leadership"

I worked at HealthTap full-time

Pros

HealthTap is doing ambitious and inspiring work to improve healthcare. They have been able to build a strong team and have been around long enough to have some good industry connections as well.

Cons

Top leadership has issues around supporting or trusting their people with little sign of things getting better in the future. Morale at the company is shaky, and there has been a string of departures of good people.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee retention. The aggressive goals around hiring will get steadily more difficult if the underlying top-down issues driving down retention aren't addressed.

"Troubled Senior Leadership"

I worked at HealthTap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who work at Healthtap are incredible. They are intelligent, resourceful, and dedicated. In some cases, the company has finally reached product-market fit.

Cons

The company is run by 3 people, with almost everyone reporting directly to one of them. Micro-management is encouraged by senior leadership. People are pitted against each other, and paranoia and fear run high. Focus is a huge issue, with many silly side projects leading to distraction from overall company goals. The company is also plagued by a brain drain, with employee retention being incredibly low. Many great ideas are unable to be implemented due to senior people leaving constantly. Vanity metrics are abundant.

Advice to Management

Figure out why employees are leaving and find a way to focus on what matters.

"Do Not Go"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at HealthTap part-time

Pros

Vision and idea are strong
    Good office location
    Catered Food
    Massages?

Cons

Poor engineering culture
    Engineering-Management rift
    Pays under market
    Shady employment practices (does not pay non-summer interns, gives only 24 hours to respond to offer)
    Product extremely fragmented

HealthTap Response

Nov 17, 2017 – Talent and Happiness Team

Thank you for your review and your time with us as an intern. We hope you, like many others before you, had a rewarding and enriching experience!

We agree that everyone at HealthTap is extremely... More

6. "great mission, big market, lots of momentum, tough standards"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Mission - it's real and it's right.

The Market - There are 7.2 billion people who could be living healthier, happier, longer lives. That is a lot people covered by a lot of health systems, all of whom are prospective customers.

The Momentum - This company is moving quite fast at both the enterprise and consumer levels.

Cons

The Pace - This is a very driven, demanding start-up environment that often requires long hours of high activity. It's not comfortable and it's not for everyone.

The Volume - The current Palo Alto space is really crowded, and the upper floor can get really loud. I'm told the San Francisco location (way bigger) will open in a week or two, so then there will be two offices from which to choose. For now, finding a conference room or even a quiet corner is a challenge.

Advice to Management

Open the new SF office fast please

"The real deal"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

* High work satisfaction. You get to work on real problems that have a real impact on real people.
    * Great teammates and culture. You’ll work with very smart people who enjoy working together.
    * A+ benefits. Competitive pay, good insurance, and options with lots of upside.
    * Growth opportunities. You’ll get a lot of responsibility and ownership if you have the desire and the skills to take it.

Cons

The team needs to grow to accommodate all the work coming In, and finding candidates that meet the company’s high technical standards takes time. I’m glad the company is not growing for growth’s sake, but teams need to speed up finding and onboarding the best people.

Advice to Management

Keep at it and grow the company at all levels of skill and experience.

"Some good, some bad"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

Like most people have mentioned, your coworkers are great people and awesome to work with. The office is highly dog-friendly. The company holds weekly volleyball games and other fun activities, like beach days, BBQs, etc. Lunch and dinner are catered every day, and the office is always well-stocked with snacks and drinks.

You'll be given a lot of responsibility even as a new hire, which can be stressful but also gives you chances to learn a lot and show leadership.

Cons

I'd say the biggest con is the pay: it's quite low, I would say far below industry standards for the area. Hours are slightly long (roughly 9:30am - 6:30pm). You'll sometimes have to work weekends or evenings, but this doesn't happen too frequently and is pretty standard for a startup.

The culture is product-driven and not engineering-driven.

A minor complaint, but since the company doesn't have its own parking lot, you have to move your car twice a day, which can interrupt your work and interfere with meetings.

I've heard that it's very difficult to work with the CEO, and the stress of dealing with him and upper management contributes to high turnover. There was a long period where 2-3 people were quitting every month, and many employees quit within a few months of joining. I haven't had much experience with this myself, but if you're considering a position where you would have a lot of contact with management, watch out.

Advice to Management

Move the Friday "town hall" meetings to an earlier time. No one wants to be stuck at work at 6:30pm on a Friday, discussing company values. It comes across as a blatant attempt to keep people in the office.

Create better processes, to reduce chaos, shifting product requirements, and rushed development.

Stop prioritizing rushing new features out, and start seriously tackling technical debt and code cleanliness--in other words, stop always taking product team's priorities over engineers'.

Finally, reign in Ron. He has driven a lot of good people away. Time and effort poured into hiring are wasted when your employees keep quitting within months of joining.

"Be Careful"

I worked at HealthTap full-time

Pros

Dogs in office, most coworkers are great

Cons

I'm not going to say anything bad about healthtap. If you are interviewing you should read all the reviews and understand that the bad ones have merit and are not all written by one person, unlike the good ones. If you are thinking about working here PLEASE go on linkedin and look up people that used to work here and reach out to them. Note that a lot of ex employees only worked here for a couple of months. Talk to them and you will get a much better sense of what it is actually like to work here than during the recruitment process.

Advice to Management

Be nicer to your assistants

"Honest review"

Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good mission and 90% of the people are smart, kind colleagues. The first few weeks will be great for you and you will get a very meaty job with much room for growth.

There is high turnover but those that can push through will be rewarded.

If you are open with your manager you can get a more flexible schedule.

Cons

Leadership could be better and there's a rumor that one of the leaders on the phone with Glassdoor asking to boost their rating because it was so bad. I'm not sure if this is true but it wouldn't surprise me.

Working hours are 9:30am - 6:30pm and some people can't handle that. Phone calls come at all hours of the night and weekend and that can bother people. However, it's a startup and this is pretty normal.

Very few people have been here for more than six months. It's awesome seeing new people join the team but concerning that we lose people so fast.

Advice to Management

It would be good to have more people stay for over a year. I've had a great experience but clearly it's not the same for everyone else.