HealthTap Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
HealthTap Founder & CEO Ron Gutman
Ron Gutman

Pros
  • a place to truly have the impacts to change the world, (in 6 reviews)

• But when you create a core team with these traits, you have a small group of people with which even the hardest problems are solvable (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Tough to find a work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• There is a lot of pressure to work long, hard hours and have a "healthy sense of urgency" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting, energizing, challenging, impactful"

Pros

The people here are smart, they work hard, they're good people. The tech we create will help people universally worldwide and is game-changing. The market expectations and social responsibility is huge. This is the place to be.

Cons

Based on what we hear in company meetings in terms of what is coming up in this year, the needs will be high for more hands on deck. We need to build hiring momentum SIGNIFICANTLY on all fronts

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing because clearly something is working well. But don't lose the goodness in the people and mission along the way. And never stop improving and optimizing the company!

2. "The best company I've worked for"

I worked at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've recently had to leave HealthTap for personal family reasons and I wish I could stay. It was by far the best place I've ever works for and the best team I've worked with. The CEO and his executive team are very talented and mission driven and working incredibly hard. It's inspiring to the entire team that's creating high quality products at a rate that is completely unprecedented. I loved working on the product - it's super smart and serves a huge amount of people all over the world. And with some current partnerships, some of the best medical institutions in the world too. I highly recommend the company to anyone who's looking for a great place to work, get compensated well, and do good in the world at scale.

Cons

I love yoga and would have loved more people in the company to be into it and join me to do it

Advice to Management

Open more offices around the world - great people worldwide want to work with you but have to be elsewhere sometime

"Toxic culture - shady practices"

I worked at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented people work here.Everyone joins drinking the koolaide wanting to change the world. Unfortunately your peers maybe great but the management - CEO and founders are a different story. They are out to exploit and use.

Cons

CEO and his ego. He is mentally unstable. Most folks work happily in their bubble till they have to deal with him. i second the other reviews about strangely worded contracts - if you are thinking of joining this company hire a lawyer to go over the contract. Trust your instincts.

Advice to Management

overhaul the management team. Lose the egos.

Mar 6, 2017 – HealthTap Talent & Happiness

Thanks for your interest in HealthTap, helping millions live healthier, happier, longer lives. We want you to have an accurate picture of what it's like to work here, and one that’s based on data ... More

5. "Great work environment"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the most diverse companies in the valley. the company has diversity in gender, age, ethnicity... Very smart group of people. Makes every working day lot of fun.

Cons

Overly stringent in hiring in my opinion. As a result it is growing slowly even though there are a lot of open positions.

Advice to Management

Improve hiring procedures. Don't filter out candidates that are not from top colleges. Maintain the diversity as you grow the team.

"Dream Job"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wow. Folks in my team told me that some trolls (probably competitors) are trying to tell false stories about what's really going on at HealthTap- so let me share with you the reality - HealthTap is the real dream job for everyone who's looking for a real Silicon Valley success story of a company that's building value rather than hype. Where else can you find a combination of creating software that impacts hundreds of millions globally, and at the same time work on great products and the latest technology and also have a ton of company sponsored events and outings and lunches and dinners and full health benefits and most importantly, an amazing team, including execs, who are mission driven, always supportive, smart, collaborative and nice. I'm having so much fun every day and that eclipses any hard work that's going into making all of us so successful. It's the real dream job!

Cons

HealthTap doesn't have an office in San Fran. I'd love to move to the city and would love to work from there. I've heard from people around that there are plans to open a satellite office in SF (just like HealthTap did in London recently). It would be a great perk to work from London for a bit too :)

Advice to Management

Open an office in San Francisco!

7. "By far the best health care start up"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product
    Free gourmet lunches and dinners
    Onsite massages
    Yoga classes
    Subsidized gym membership
    Everything is designed to provide a healthy work environment.

Cons

Parking is a pain in downtown Palo Alto
    Office space is getting a little cramped because of the recent growth

Advice to Management

Open an office in San Francisco

"DON'T BE FOOLED"

I worked at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission COULD be great. Some of the most talented co-workers in the Valley that end up being your best friends. Have the opportunity to learn a lot and quickly...at least at first.

Cons

Like many other reviews say: long hours, terrible (WAY below market value) pay, poor upper management w/ egos that are preventing the product from advancing forward, deals from being closed, and you most certainly will not get those bonuses that are written in those shady contracts you sign (doctors, employees, and partners alike). If you find a mentor that likes you or who at least recognizes your talent, you may do okay here...at least for a little while (but be careful who you trust, because at the end of the day the people at the top will do anything - and I mean ANYTHING to protect themselves and the company - no matter what you've done for them professionally or personally. Fabricated data, false promises, lack of follow through and execution is the way this place operates. Watch for red flags if you are considering joining this place or partnering. Publicly posting and saying that Trust and Transparency are company values is laughable and should be a crime. Do your due diligence and ask the right questions and explore EVERYTHING (including the product). It has the potential to be great, but some things certainly need to change for that to happen. Trust your gut.

Advice to Management

Stop saying things like, "everyone is an entrepreneur...if you don't like it you can change it! :)" That is not how leadership works. It starts from the top. Stop throwing everyone under the bus, and lose the ego. Listen to your people. The one thing you used to be good at was hiring top talent. Well, start investing in them and start listening to them. There is a reason they keep leaving and you are struggling so bad right now.

Mar 6, 2017 – HealthTap Talent & Happiness

"Toxic co-workers and environment to be in"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Office location, free meals, office dogs

Cons

Terrible CEO, People who are senior love to step on people who have just started, high school like environment with bullies, chaos at all times, no work life balance

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and honest with employees and yourselves. Be more welcoming and less fake. Hire a new CEO.

"Try not to go crazy!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are some of the nicest people you will find! HealthTap has a great mission and as a result, the people who end up there are truly caring and ambitious. Personally, I loved my first few months there since I was caught up in the excitement of the mission. During that time I was more than happy to work 12 hours a day, but of course that wasn't sustainable..

Cons

Even though most of the engineers are great, HealthTap suffers for its poor management. As an engineer you will be sitting in the dark basement level and pushed passed your breaking point. Management has no boundaries. You will get calls at dinner, on weekends, and at 2am. You will also be forced to attend weekly meetings where the CEO will berate anyone who hasn't made their slide the way he wants or hasn't met their weekly targets. No matter how unappreciated and undervalued you feel, management will claim to "care" about you by forcing people to thank each other on Fridays and by making everyone sit through a 2-3 hour Christmas "party" while they give a random award (probably with your name misspelled) to every person in the company.

Advice to Management

My advice is to the other engineers/employees: GET OUT OF THERE!! You will be sooo much happier and healthier. Being at HealthTap brought out a really sad and mean side of me that I didn't even know existed. After leaving I felt a huge weight lifted and finally feel like my true self again. Plus, I got more than a 50% salary bump. Management will make it really difficult for you to leave, but if you stay strong and push through, it will be worth it!!

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Intern in Stanford, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Stanford, CA

I worked at HealthTap (Less than a year)

Pros

The team is filled with really great people

Cons

There is too much pressure to work long, hard hours from upper management, and there is no work-life balance to speak of for most employees.
    Also, unfair payment for interns - everyone made different amounts, and some didn't get paid at all.