HealthTap Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
HealthTap Founder & CEO Ron Gutman
Ron Gutman

Pros
  • But when you create a core team with these traits, you have a small group of people with which even the hardest problems are solvable (in 6 reviews)

• a place to truly have the impacts to change the world, (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Tough to find a work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• There is a lot of pressure to work long, hard hours and have a "healthy sense of urgency" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting, energizing, challenging, impactful"

Pros

The people here are smart, they work hard, they're good people. The tech we create will help people universally worldwide and is game-changing. The market expectations and social responsibility is huge. This is the place to be.

Cons

Based on what we hear in company meetings in terms of what is coming up in this year, the needs will be high for more hands on deck. We need to build hiring momentum SIGNIFICANTLY on all fronts

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing because clearly something is working well. But don't lose the goodness in the people and mission along the way. And never stop improving and optimizing the company!

2. "Best first week"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

I just joined HealthTap and had really high expectations about how passionate people are here, how smart the people are, and how big and inspiration the problems we're solving here. And my first week didn't disappoint. I have to admit I had read some of the reviews on here prior to joining, but I knew to go based on all my interactions I had with the team during the interview process, and not anonymous online reviews. And I'm so glad I did. I encourage all other candidates to do the same! This place is awesome

Cons

We need to invest a bit more into the onboarding experience in a more structured way for new employees. Everyone was so helpful and supportive whenever I had questions in the first week. And I met with tons of people. But it would be nice to get a more formal orientation to all the basics from multiple perspectives

Advice to Management

Excited about the potential office in SF coming up! Keep growing!!

"Puppies and doggies and smiles!"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

That's literally the first thing you'll notice when you walk into the office. It's very dog friendly and adds a lot of fun energy to the work day, and most definitely makes everyone smile with their canine antics!

Cons

The office is starting to get a bit crowded, so we'll definitely need to expand.

Advice to Management

Let's get a lay person's cappuccino maker in the office please! Something more automatic. The fancy coffree machines we have I don't know how to use.

"The proof is in the people"

I worked at HealthTap full-time

Pros

I urge everyone to look at the bios, accomplishments, education, and successes of many of the key people at the company. There are some *VERY* smart people here who come to work every day super motivated to make things happen. Why? Because the work we're doing is too important for humanity and not enough people are helping to catalyze a brighter future quickly enough!

Cons

The hiring bar here is high. Hiring managers often use the ratio of 600 candidates for everyone 1 hire! Many qualified candidates don't get the offer due to extremely stringent requirements on culture and background. I'm lucky I made the cut ;)

Advice to Management

Don't decrease the quality of the people as the team doubles and triples this year!

6. "I see the next generation of HealthTappers changing the culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

The people you work with are energetic and capable. We are pushing the boundaries of health care to new realm. The in-flush of new HealthTappers are alleviating the demanding work load. If you check your ego at the door, this is a great place to really change lives for the better.

Cons

Some of the negative reviews do have their base.
    - You get calls from work at night, at weekends. True, but I haven't got one for months.
    - You work long hours. True in the past, the work hours is much better now.
    - The management are delusional --> Plausible, but this really depends on how you define dreamers.

Advice to Management

all hand meeting should be less frequent or should be kept short. These meetings are very expensive and disruptive. Keeping everyone in the meeting after 6pm or even 7pm on Fridays are more likely to produce complaints even it is fun and casual.

7. "Global expansion is exciting"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

HealthTap is at a really big tipping point. There's a really solid foundation of product market fit, user adoption, validation from top partners and investors, and a humming product development and fulfillment operation. As we start entering new global regions including non-English languages, I can quickly see HealthTap's reach and impact snowballing to billions of people.

Cons

The work before us is a giant mountain which will require more people in our camp to climb and support the climbers. Come one and come all. Because there's a summit to peak. We are short-staff not due to our inability to hire, but due to our high bar of who gets offers and our hunger and ambition for how many people we need for where we need to go!

Advice to Management

Invest even more in growing the team. Consider opening an office in San Francisco to attract some of the candidates who don't or can't commut to South Bay.

8. "Compelling engineering challenges"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

I recently joined here as an engineer and kinds of things we can build for the world can scale and impact billions of people so fundamentally. What's more compelling that solving complex engineering problems with elegant lines of codes that SAVE LIVES?!

Cons

We need more senior engineering leadership and architects so make sure projects are built today in the most scalable way. We also need more engineers in general because there's a lot of context switching we need to juggle when balancing lots of different projects per engineer.

Advice to Management

Hire hire hire hire.

9. "Thrilling and fulfilling"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

There is never a boring day at HealthTap. If you're the kind of ambitious soul who wants meaning and purpose in their career beyond just a job. And you get restless thinking about what more you could be doing to make the world a better place, there really aren't many companies out there like HealthTap who will absolutely meet your needs

Cons

There's a healthy sense of urgency and intensity, and metrics orientation, and execution orientation that everyone here adheres to. So it's for people who like accountability and transparency on what matters and how to measure success. It's a transparent meritocracy that's less friendly to people who arent in one of two modes that we talk about here: "Success" and "Learning". (that is, don't keep failing for the same reasons. learn and pivot and then succeed)

Advice to Management

Hire more managers who can extract more potential out of each employee with a bit more hand holding and support and training and check ins. Right now it's a lean execution machine, but helping people cope with changes and get regular support will help everyone succeed even more.

10. "THE place for professional athletes"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

We talk here all the time about how the people we look for are the kinds of that climb Mount Everest. They are self-motivated to take on difficult challenges where most peopel don't. They push themselves to accomplish great feats. In light of setback, they push back harder. They train and build the skills they need in advance. They find more joy in the hke and experience than reaching the summit. These traits are the key ingredients to the kinds of people that thrive at HealthTap. Makes sense given that we're a company that also embodies healthy living. Being an entrepreneur requires a perserverance, positivity, and resourcefulness that comes from within. HealthTap is a company that needs to fill every rank with more entrepreneurs, regardless of functional area.

Cons

Volatility and unpredictability are a little bit "the nature of the beast" when belonging to a fast growing company. But we need to do more to control for the unnecessary volattility in planning and projects and scope and deadlines. Running 25 miles of a marathon and finding out you actually have 3 more miles to go instead of 1. It makes the experience feel more challenging than it needs to be.

Advice to Management

There's a winning formula here that needs to be replicated, catalyzed, and continued. On the other hand ,there are easy ways by making some investments in helping the company scale with internal processes, that will make the journey and adventure smoother for all on it.

11. "So much untapped potential still"

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

I've been at the company for almost two years now. When I joined I thought we had all the exciting potential in the world. But fast forward two years and the opportunities are even greater. Our biggest bottleneck is not sales, or technical constraints, or anything. The company has tremendous momentum already. But we could have SO MUCH MORE by just bringing in more of the right kind of entrepreneurial super smart very passionate good people to take on the many opportunities we are just holding on the bench due to bandwidth. We need more of the same people in the company today ... many more of them.

Cons

It's such a tension between executing in the short time while still investing enough time in hiring more people for the long-term. It's temping to not take all the interviews and phone screens of qualified candidates because you have deadlines or projects that need to move. But we all need to make more time to talk to more candidates.

Advice to Management

Find ways to making the hiring process even more efficient and higher throughput so we can minimize the time and bandwidth needed to offer and onboard each new company team member.