Heap Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Heap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really awesome culture, very open to new ideas and novel solutions. People are genuinely interested stuff you're working on. Co-workers are all very intelligent and have lots of industry experience to learn from. Fast moving, so expect to be working on a lot of different things from day 1.

Work-life balance is good so far, lot of cool perks and company events to keep things interesting.

Cons

There's a bit more internal politics then I would have expected at a company of this size. Coming from a big company, there's definitely a LOT less, but it can still make navigation a bit tricky until you learn the landscape/develop relationships.

2. "Great So Far"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative

I have been working at Heap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management focuses on leading indicators of success. Because we're a lean team, no one has time to micromanage and make sure you're at your desk at a given time during the day. Everybody is busy and has high expectations of each other.

- catered lunch daily
    - catered dinner Mon - Thurs
    - Spotify, Lyft, and Gym perks

Cons

Not everything is buttoned down pat process wise, which can be a good thing if you like the flexibility but it's not for everyone.

3. "Amazing company to be apart of!"

I have been working at Heap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the values I appreciate about Heap is its level of transparency. Everyone understands how the company is doing and how their part will make an impact to the growth and improvement of the product. Everyone is willing to go the extra mile and those actions can be recognized through props and thanks announcements on a daily or weekly basis. Sometimes it’s the little things that keeps people going. If this sounds like where you want your career to blossom, Heap is where you want to be!

Cons

Just like any startup, there are growing pains and lots of moving parts. Be ready to put in your 110%!

4. "This team is building something special"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Heap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Heap as a technology is revolutionary, but it is the people here that make it all possible.

Heap's leaders value transparency and genuinely care about their employees and customers. Everyone's ideas are weighed equally, we brainstorm as one team, measure our options, and make decisions based on data....not based on title or tenure. The company is growing quickly and I couldn't be happier to be along for the ride.

Cons

With rapid growth comes growing pains. The team is always looking for ways to improve the product or internal processes, and sometimes we make mistakes. You have to be able to roll with the punches and adapt quickly in this environment.

Advice to Management

As we continue to grow, stick to what got us here.

5. "Great people, technology and culture!"

Current Employee - Vice President Channel & Partnerships in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Channel & Partnerships in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Heap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having been in the industry for 20 years and been thru start-ups and public large tech firms, Heap is one of the few companies I have come across that has the triple play - great people, technology and culture! It is very hard to bring these three together especially starting a business in the Bay Area with the draw of other tech giants. Everything stated during the interview and on-boarding process was clear and true and still holds strong after being with the company several months.

Cons

It is a fast paced environment with at times not a lot of structure defined - so you must be comfortable at times with taking your own initiative to drive things forward.

Advice to Management

Keep the transparent communication going and keep everyone involved in helping drive the company forward - trust who you have hired and their success and experience they bring to Heap.

"Smart, down-to-earth people building a super cool product"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Heap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Interesting work and amazing people; after interviewing at Heap I knew it would be an easy acceptance given that they met my compensation bar (which they did)
    - It's abundantly clear people care a lot about what we're building and making sure we're delivering the best possible experience
    - Highly transparent; execs + management aren't afraid to answer tough questions and feedback is welcome at all levels
    - Minimal social segregation between departments; people don't just talk to those on their team. With the way the cafeteria is set up, and various new hire orientation initiatives, it's really easy to meet new employees and people on other teams
    - Awesome and thoughtful perks; people are always really surprised and impressed when I tell them about Heap's perks

Cons

- We wanna build a lot of awesome things fast but don't seem to be able to build the engineering team fast enough (+ lofty engineering hiring goals)
    - Sometimes people get fired or leave and you only hear about it through the grapevine (there's value in being able to know that people have left, even if it's not in a super public way)
    - Product/market fit is not yet clear

Advice to Management

Keep on pushing! Doing great so far, and really appreciate the work-hard/play-hard culture you're bringing to Heap

7. "Work for Heap! Seriously...do it!"

I have been working at Heap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Heap is a great company. I have been blown away by the investments that they make in their employees. Standing desks, Lyft credits, unlimited time off, happy hours, lunches, snacks, career coaching, career planning, treat yo' self days! That was a small list of tangible ways that they invest in their employees but this is more of a cultural value in the company that they exhibit daily. The management really cares about the success and happiness of their employees and regularly asks for feedback...and then actually acts on it!

Cons

The only con that I can come up with is the fact that we are growing quite rapidly which always mean that there are processes and procedures that need to be created in order to catch up.

8. "A bunch of smart people that work hard and play hard together"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Heap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- the "A" team
    - company is very agile as a whole - you need this in a rapidly evolving industry
    - the right mix of hunger and experience company-wide.
    - many of the early employees are still with the company. The tribal knowledge is invaluable.
    - company is doing very well despite some areas being very greenfield (lots of untapped opportunity)
    - we have a large "people" team that is doing a great job with culture and ensuring we continue to bring in top-notch colleagues

Cons

- the company has grown very fast in the last 12 months, which means some of the typical infrastructure is underdeveloped vs. your normal 100-person company
    - sometimes the being so agile can lead to over-steering

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Be agile but also continue investing in areas that've taken the company to where it is today. Don't forget about employee retention as we continue to grow!

9. "Smart Team, Excellent Product"

I have been working at Heap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Incredibly smart, hard-working, thoughtful, and fun people
    -A differentiated product helping shape a new market
    -People love our product. That makes work fun.
    -A growing team with an evolving culture
    -Solid benefits including lunch, dinner, gym stipend, 401K, Lyft credits, etc.

Cons

-As a growing team with motivated people, it can feel a bit like the "wild west" at times with little process or structure.

Advice to Management

-Stay the course, and don't let growth stifle our tendency to move quickly and listen to everyone.

10. "Great place to advance your career"

Current Employee - Manager of Business Development in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager of Business Development in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Heap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Heap has so many benefits I don't know where to begin. First everyone at Heap is motivated, hard working and extremely intelligent. Health insurance has great coverage and Heap pays 95% of the premium. Free lunch and dinner daily and great conversations with coworkers. Heap gives you a chance to advance your career as well. They promote people who lean in and put in extra work. I have only been here a few months and have been promoted. They are great at recognizing hard work and rewarding you for it.

Cons

Heap has a high standard and expects hard work. This means you might be in the office a little later a few days a week. If you are afraid of hard work and a few late nights then this may not be a good fit.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Management is willing to be agile and try new suggestions. This makes a creative culture that people want to be a part of.