Hoopla Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Hoopla Software Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2016

Found 17 reviews

4.2
Hoopla Software CEO Mike Smalls
Mike Smalls

"Couldn't have asked for a better place to be!"

Marketing Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Hoopla Software

Pros

I've only recently joined Hoopla at the beginning of this year, but the time I've been here has just flew by while learning so much every day. The culture at Hoopla is amazing. Everyone is genuinely friendly, here to learn as well as teach, and ready to work for a product they really believe in. Great pros - there is a zen room available for R&R, a fully stocked kitchen, bean bags and sofas across the room. Our HR... team is truly the best and stay on top of everything to make it a great workplace. I never buy breakfast and have the option of staying in for lunch. Because we are in a prime location in downtown San Jose - there are literally over a hundred restaurants to choose from. This is the place to be. I was nervous about working at a new place, especially coming straight out of college, but Hoopla has made it an easy transition. I can see a sense of urgency in everyone to perfect their work and an organized management team with execs who care. I love coming to work everyday and not dreading the day ahead of me. Couldn't have asked for a better opportunity!

Cons

Because we are a startup, everyone is still working out some kinks. The great thing about this is that you get to grow with the company and learn a lot in the process. I love that everyone makes a difference here.

Hoopla Software2016-02-07

February 17, 2016CEO

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear that you feel welcome and enjoy the culture as that is very important to us. Startups are not for everyone, but for those looking for a chance to spread their wings and wear multiple hats, it is a great place to learn.

"High turnover"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Hoopla Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Good and friendly people - Start up style office - Epresso machine and snacks

Cons

- High turnover: I saw a lot of people had gone in a short time. - Management: no clear directions and goals.

Advice to Management

Set a clear goal and vivid plan to reach to the goals.

Hoopla Software2016-07-01

"Fun Work Environment & Committed Teams"

Current Employee - Office Coordinator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Hoopla Software part-time for less than a year

Pros

As a full-time student Hoopla has been able to cooperate with my sometimes complicated schedule. I'm in charge of making sure the environment the employees work in is prime for productivity. All employees seem to enjoy what they do and have high hopes for where this company is going.

Cons

Since I am fairly new here I do not have an applicable cons to speak of. As with any start-up, there is a lot of room to grow and everyone here seems to know that.

Advice to Management

Try to get more people involved and excited about Hoopla Hands (our volunteer hours). There is so much potential to this program and I don't think people see it yet.

Hoopla Software2016-01-29

"My Second Home"

I have been working at Hoopla Software full-time

Pros

I have been with Hoopla for about 3 years now, and could not have had a better experience working at a company straight out of college. I work with a group of kind, passionate, and intelligent individuals who foster a warm environment where you never feel uncomfortable asking for help. The CEO sits out on the open floor with the rest of us and makes himself available whenever anyone wants to talk about anything...... and he ALWAYS does it with a smile! Hoopla has given me the opportunity to grow within the company and experience three different roles to help jumpstart my career. I'm not sure where else I would have had the chance to choose my own career path, practice diverse responsibilities, and form such life-long relationships.

Cons

Too many free snacks forcing me to get a gym membership.

Advice to Management

Continue making yourselves available to help everyone be successful :)

Hoopla Software2016-01-06

February 17, 2016CEO

Thanks so much for your feedback. It is truly a pleasure to watch someone like you grow and advance in your career over the years. Please keep us aware of ways we can continue to make Hoopla the best possible place to be.

"A place to grow as a person and employee"

Account Executive in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Hoopla Software

Pros

The people are bar none the best part of Hoopla. We are a growing, but very tight knit team of intelligent and reliable people. Everyone wants to learn which creates an "open door" environment across departments. As someone who works in sales, I work with marketing, product, engineering, and top management on a weekly basis. The culture is also a major pro. Happy hours, catered lunch every other week, fully... stocked kitchen (and bar :) ), customizable desk set up for each employee, zen room, company outings/parties, colorful office, and a great HR team that does everything humanly possible to make your work environment great. Hoopla cares not just about your work life, but your life in general. The product is a must have for companies all around the world. Hoopla changes the way companies celebrate wins and communicate, doing so in a visual and exciting way. It's a fun product to sell and use internally every day. You are not a kink in the chain here. What you do on a daily/weekly basis truly impacts the outcome of the business. You learn so much in this kind of environment. Very competitive pay/compensation. Flexible vacation. Plus, I don't spend money on breakfast or lunch as there's a fully stocked kitchen and fridge.

Cons

This is a software startup, so there are growing pains and shifts in priorities...but the beauty of it is that your voice is heard throughout it all (if you want your voice to be heard).

Advice to Management

A few more catered lunches ;)

Hoopla Software2015-12-10

February 17, 2016CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share this. We really want to foster an open and collaborative environment where people can continue to grow. It is at times a bit crazy and hectic, but people like you who thrive in a startup environment really make the company great. Keep the feedback coming!

"Hostile Work Environment"

I have been working at Hoopla Software full-time

Pros

Snacks, benefits, time off (you'll want it)

Cons

No direction, lack of foresight and focus throughout departments. Management is consistently scrambling and doesn't offer any support. The environment is very negative, each team is pitted against each other and you feel like you're being watched. It's a very stressful and a hostile environment. Your work is also never appreciated. The only opinions that matter are those of management, everyone else is just a pawn.... It's no surprise retention is very low, whole departments turn over frequently.

Advice to Management

Create a solid plan and focus the company. Stop trying to cover up the truth about the status of the company. Stop the negativity and actually create a flexible work environment and appreciate your employees.

Hoopla Software2016-01-06

January 6, 2016

We appreciate your time and feedback. Hoopla strives to support, value and appreciate our employees. Employees are provided with opportunities for continued growth and professional development through wearing many hats, broadening their skill set and continually being challenged. Hoopla strives for transparency through holding frequent Company Updates where our executives communicate openly the state of the business and offer opportunities for employees to ask questions. Additionally, like many start-up office environments, Hoopla has an open floor environment where our executive team sits. This allows employees to freely approach any executive at any time. To this end, Hoopla has an open door policy and encourages employees to share feedback with executives. Our managers strive to have regular meetings with their employees and teams, which is another opportunity for employees to ask questions and seek support. Employee feedback will help us continue to refine and grow our Company. Being a start-up in Silicon Valley, Hoopla is competing with the best of the best in a booming marketplace. While we want to retain all our employees and hate to see them go, Hoopla understands that working at a Company in Silicon Valley for one year or two years is considered a long time. Hoopla makes every effort to give credit where / when credit is due; and through our Service Award program rewards and appreciate employees who's tenure reflects 3 month and their annual years of service. Regarding a flexible work schedule, we have a mixed culture of employees who are just starting their career blended with employees who have families. Hoopla always allows the flexibility to meet family needs while balancing exceeding expectations in your daily job. If any employee ever feels this benefit isn't being met, we encourage you to talk with our executives or your manager.

"no growth, no guidance and no support from the management"

I have been working at Hoopla Software

Pros

It certainly is a startup by all means.

Cons

As the VP of Marketing pointed out below, the engineering team makes up half of Hoopla's employees. That indicates that all focus is on building a product, rather than teams that can support the product with marketing and sales efforts as well as a customer success program. All budget is allocated towards the product/engineering team which leads to layoffs in other areas in the company because of no available budget.... No efforts are made to retain talent. There is no education and training to grow or even a proper on-boarding program.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your people and offer room for growth

Hoopla Software2015-12-12

February 17, 2016CEO

Thanks for your review. We absolutely want to hear from you and I would encourage you to reach out to your manager or come talk to me. I would be happy to sit down with you and hear your concerns and share more details about the business and why we are investing in the areas we are. The opinions and feedback from all of our employees is very important to us and there are always ways we can improve.

"Hoopla is where to be!"

Current Employee - QA Automation Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Hoopla Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've only been at Hoopla a short time but it has been a great experience so far. It's been the best on-boarding experience of my career. The people here are the best and the company is clearly laser focused on success! ZERO dead weight! We're all in the same boat - execs are available and accessible and the path ahead is clear. We know how to make people self motivated. Period. That's about the highest praise I can... give a company. You sit down here and realize you are with some of the best and brightest and it's game time! Step up and deliver!

Cons

None that I am aware of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and strive to maintain/increase transparency. The fact the we are self motivated is a huge testament to your efforts.

Hoopla Software2015-09-09
  9. "Fantastic Company to Work At"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Hoopla Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is really nice, fun and great to work with. The vibe in the office is very friendly and open. I always look forward to coming into work! It's also a startup still so this makes it 100x better in my book since I have a direct impact on where the company is going. Hoopla rocks!

Cons

There are no cons here!

Hoopla Software2015-05-22

July 8, 2015CEO

Thanks for sharing your experience. We are truly trying to create a special and memorable culture where people can contribute and grow as the company succeeds.

10. "Great Start Up Experience"

Sales in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Hoopla Software for less than a year

Pros

Great group of people, really changing the way companies motivate and empower their employees. Exec team is very hands on and transparent, they treat you like an equal, there are no cushy offices for VPs, they sit in the same area as everyone else. We clearly hire for team and culture fit first, so you don't have people with big egos or anyone who wants to "hide" in a role. Still building out the platform and... making changes/improvements always so you get to be part of actually building something here, not just stuck as "you build widgets, just do that" or "you're in Sales, you don't get to help the Marketing team". Creates a fantastic culture where everyone feels like we're in it together. If you want to not only work at a great company but feel like you're TRULY part of building something GREAT, Hoopla is the place for you. We host Company Updates every 2 weeks and on the off weeks we host an "Open Mike" forum where anyone who has any questions can just walk into the cafe and ask any questions. Fun company events like Go-Karting and Sports Events, great Social Hours, fully stocked kitchen, 1 block off San Pedro Square so you've got more than 50 places for lunch within 2 blocks either direction.

Cons

Like any true start-up, still putting processes and guidelines in place, but that can become a benefit if you want to be part of shaping the direction those things go.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring for talent, culture and team fit!

Hoopla Software2015-05-08

July 8, 2015CEO

Great feedback! I'm so glad you feel part of building something great. We will continue to work on putting the right level of process in place without crushing the culture we have worked hard to create.

Found 17 reviews