Huddle Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Morten Brøgger

Pros
  • Have learnt a lot from the senior management team (in 7 reviews)

• 500 tax free to spend on what you want), free breakfast/drinks, Huddle lunch every Wednesday, share options pension and pru healthcare (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of change of people and limited internal knowledge due to this in certain areas (in 2 reviews)

1. "Awesome company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Huddle is a truly inspiring place to work. Exceptionally talented, determined team that really enjoy building and selling a product that makes an impact in the world of collaboration. Nice sized company with strong global presence. The management team is extremely talented and diverse. Great perks and good work-life balance. An all around great startup where employees work hard and have fun!

Cons

Early mornings to accommodate different time zones but that's normal in any company with offices and clients in different continents.

Advice to Management

Continue to attract and retain top talent to grow Huddle to its full potential.

2. "Smart People, crap management"

I worked at Huddle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decently cool office in SOMA, SF
    Smart people at dev, sales and CS teams

Cons

Salaries are not competitive to market
    Massive "boys club" mentality in upper management (aka misogynist)
    No room for advancement

Advice to Management

Encourage growth within teams and departments
    Pay your people better

"Opportunity wasted"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Huddle (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great to work with

Cons

No innovation, product is not suited for enterprise customers the company is targeting

Advice to Management

Fix the product

"Loving it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Huddle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great vibe and energy of a startup
    - Awesome product - creating a whole new category in content collaboration
    - Terrific team - diverse team across 2 countries, loads of fun to work with

Cons

- Early start to accommodate meetings with London office. Not so bad for people who live in the city, but with a long commute it can be tough.

Advice to Management

Need to improve our marketing and sales execution. We are probably the best kept secret in the industry, just need to be more visible with potential customers.

"So much potential..."

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Huddle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers and the ability to travel to London. Good vacation. Nice office.

Cons

Product never caught up to marketplace demands. Executive staff was never aggressive enough when it came to marketing. Relatively low pay compared with competitors.

Advice to Management

Seek acquisition.

"Total lack of diversity in management. Frustrating environment. Time to go."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Huddle full-time

Pros

I like many of my colleagues, but many of them are leaving or have left. Valuable experience to be had which will be useful in getting a job at company that is not slowly dying.

Cons

I have a real problem with the "Awesome Company!" review from June 29. It's obviously written by management:

They claim "management diversity." The reality: The US executive team is 100% male and almost entirely white (one gentleman is from India). There are NO african americans, hispanics, or women on the US executive team. There is ONE white female executive leader in the UK, everyone else is a white male. Diverse?

They claim "strong global presence." The reality: UK/EMEA sales are flagging. Huddle claims 100,000 organizations use their product, and this is an outright lie. Box has just signed with Huddle's most well-known customer, the UK government.

They claim Huddle "makes an impact in the world of collaboration." The reality: "No new features in years plus they are rapidly losing to Box, Asana, Slack, and Hive." Hive itself was started by a former Huddle employee.

Whichever corporate ghost writer Huddle ordered to write that review should be ashamed of themselves.

But really, this is the problem with Huddle overall: instead of focusing on the good parts of the company, and working to fix the bad, they prefer to tell ridiculous tales and ignore the real problems (and solutions) that could have existed. I think it's too late for Huddle, but there are lessons to be learned.

Advice to Management

None. Management wouldn't listen anyway.

"Terrible Management, Dead Man Walking"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Are there actually any pros? Its a job I suppose so you can pay your rent. Let's move on to the next section shall we?

Cons

Management is terrible, from middle up to the head of the company. Morale was at an all time low when I left and nothing was being done.
    Management does not seem to know how to manage! This affects all departments.
    The company culture feels very forced. Don't be fooled, this is not a start-up atmosphere.
    Pay is consistently under market for everyone(except management) and the bonus scheme doesn't even merit mention as targets are never reached.
    There is a huge divide between the US employees and the UK employees at Huddle. If you work in the US, you are a second class citizen and that will never change.
    90% of employees haven't been there more than 2 years.

Advice to Management

Stop treating the US like it is the same as the UK.

"From BAD to WORSE"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Huddle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Huddle had a great team in place in early 2013, however due to changes in the management team and C-levels not having the business knowledge to make educated decisions most of SF office was gone by the end of 2013. They have tried since to re- build their team and gave a promotion to a sales leader that was not respected throughout the organization (in fact when it was announced in an all hands meeting not one person clapped). I gave the review 2 stars instead of 1 because despite all of the commotion through 2013-2014 I was able to meet my revenue goals because I stayed focused and did not let the commotion derail me. Make sure to do your due diligence before joining this company... data storage is now FREE!

Cons

With just a few US reps left in place in early 2014 they brought in a new leader who looked us all in the eyes on day one and said "don't worry I am not here to hire a new team", even though from day one they were already interviewing candidates (who have ZERO experience in tech sales). The rest of the US team was let go shortly after (with full pipelines and making monthly goals) HUGE MISTAKE. Huddle has had a BAD 2014, missed all revenue targets and somehow has gotten some funding.

We had asked that our compensation be looked at and revamped for 2014, they promised they would re-asses the plans and make them competitive. The changes they made took money directly out of every-single sales reps pockets as well as the base pay is $20k+ below market rate. We pushed back (as a team) and they forced us to sign or not get paid.

Advice to Management

C-level execs. need to step up there game or be let go. All of the 2012-2014 team (throughout the SF office) is gone, does this mean anything to you? I recently looked at a picture from our 2014 kickoff- out of the 45 people present 6 are still at Huddle (includes 2 of the execs).

Huddle Response

Dec 19, 2014 – Head of Resourcing

Thanks for your comments. We have made some significant changes to our sales team as we increased our focus on enterprise customers. 7 of our biggest 10 deals ever happened in 2014. We have brought ... More

"Exciting!"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Huddle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great being part of building this company. Definitely feels like more than just another job but more like we are creating something meaningful.

Offices in UK and across the US gives plenty of opps to move around.

Young and fun place to work and the food not too bad either!

Cons

Too much change and it would be good to have a more structured career plan

Advice to Management

Listen to the troops more and take some time to chill.......we all know its exciting but calm down a bit

"Feels like it's a good place to be. Learning lots."

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Huddle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive structure. Have learnt a lot from the senior management team. I feel that people care about my success. Everyone knows who you are and you're not just a number. I know what I need to do to get my next promotion.

Cons

It's hard work! That can be rewarding, but it still means you’ve got to push yourself to succeed. Also, there were a couple of people here that were very negative because they weren't hitting their quotas. That worried me at first, until I learnt to ignore them.

Advice to Management

Don't put up with the negativity. If people are like that, they shouldn't be here. Morale improved as soon as they left.