ID Tech Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 30, 2017

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Least respectful place to work. Other good reviews are for a kid's camp with same name, not this company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellflower, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellflower, CA

I worked at ID Tech (More than a year)

Pros

Most people are friendly. (Reason I gave 2 stars)
    401 K though not much, health insurance.

Cons

* Low pay.
    * Business owner broadcasts someone's name whenever he want's to talk to him/her. If you don't show up in his office right away, you may get into trouble. Feel like treated as a kid.
    * !!!Don't mess up with his family member in the company no matter work or personal reason. !!!

Advice to Management

Not just find people based on nepotism.
    Respect expertise please.

"Not a really serious company.... guided by voice of 1 man (owner)"

Former Employee - Manager in Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Cypress, CA

I worked at ID Tech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Quick decision taker company (could be pro or cons).
    Engineering dept. Very flexible (something rare)

Cons

Obsolete technology handler
    Company can change direction very quickly, without any advice to you and mainly customers.
    Engineering dept flexible but very slow on R&D.
    Since it is small company of one owner, company direction could change very quickly ( and why not say up to his mood).
    Do not fall into temptation of good benefits without require a formal and reasonable time commitment.

Advice to Management

Need hire experienced professional in market and give them time and space to re-organize company. Need hear voice inside and outside of company.

3. "Anon"

I have been working at ID Tech full-time

Pros

There are truly dedicated people in this company that inspire the rest (myself included)
    Most people in this company are jack of all trades - good for people who are looking to do many things and learn fast.
    Owner of company appreciates good wine - you'll be taken out to good events often, good for networking as well if you play the cards right.
    Owner is very involved in day to day operations, and maintains good connections with key customers.
    Our customer support is highly lauded, as the majority of people who come to us (ID TECH products) is due to abysmal support or lack of support altogether from competitors
    Good understanding of the entire payment industry and our current connections puts us in a very competitive spot as we shift towards EMV.
    Owner has 'open door policy' and is generous , encourages you to show passion for what you are doing.

Cons

It's a very niche industry to work in.
    Vast majority of company speak Chinese more fluently than english, making for a sizable communication barrier.
    Basically no social events are held by HR.
    Managers are all too tanked / busy with work to look after the people they manage (and going all the way down the chain, you are often left on your own)
    People double and triple book themselves often - speaking to an earlier review, we are too eager to please, but not fast enough to execute properly.
    We're archaic and behind the times in terms of the technology and processes we use.
    Change is slow and generally met with heavy resistance.
    Lot of people have grown jaded, and the common response from the more senior people is, 'this isn't my job, make somebody else do it'.
    Surprises are a norm - customers who were "ok" one day could be exploding the next, causing the entire office to have to quickly adjust and shift.
    Late hours are expected if you don't want to fall behind.
    More senior management are being hired when we need more people working at ground level.
    Also as stated before - there are people in the company who will get you into the red zone easily if you get on their bad side, as they are very close to the owner. I personally have not experienced this, but have heard about this from other people when I joined.

Advice to Management

You made a declaration a while back that we wanted to focus on employee growth programs.
    Our managers are all too busy with their current job roles, never mind the additional program.
    All the people that have knowledge or are capable of training are generally not available.

We need dedicated personnel to manage training, rather than asking product managers or engineers on the fly to train, and then everyone forgetting.

Our edge is that we are smaller, more responsive, and that we lead in terms of integration / support.
    We need to hold that edge, no matter what.
    And to that end, we need to focus on hiring new, fresh young blood, and instituting a growth program that will quickly propel them into positions where they can actively influence and contribute.

More managers and shotcallers is nice if we have people to do the work.

To be completely blunt - working with card readers is hard to sell in terms of recruitment.
    A lot of kids would leap at a chance to work on games, work on the next big social media thing, work at a top 100 tech company.

They will not leap to work with a card swiping manufacturer.
    We need to change our image so we are more attractive to the younger / current generation of students, if we want to stay relevant.

Our advantage is (again) being smaller and more responsive than the big titans in the industry, nobody wants to work for the competitors EITHER given the same argument presented. And from my own research, I know that the situation there in terms of staffing, nepotism, career opportunity is even more dire. So we need to make a good argument here, and not be "slightly less crappy" and instead excel at attracting the younger generation.

"It's not a company yet"

Current Intern - : )
    Current Intern - : )

I have been working at ID Tech as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice field chosen with tremendous opportunities.
    Less competitors.

Cons

Management doesn't understand the difference between dreams and vision.
    No management as such.
    No policies ( means no policy exists: Nobody is aware of what company policies are).
    Promises a lot to employees as well as clients, motive is just to please them by words; words never meet with actions.
    All employees are made to do everything, their personal capabilities and goals are not even taken a note of, finally making them jacks of all trades, master of none.

Advice to Management

Being in business with a technology that has so much of potential, what is needed now is to learn how to manage things well.
    Employee satisfaction (salary, growth, respect) and ethical ways of working are two mandates of business.
    Market never remains same (as it is today- without competition).
    May learn from some of the best IT companies how they train and keep their employees and how they manage business (internal and external).

"worked there for 2 yrs, like the people there but don't like the working environment."

Pros

Fast growing company. Can learn a lot if you want.
    Stable.

Cons

Long working hours. Work overtime almost everyday and no pay...The company's culture is work overtime. They just want you stay there though most of people are doing their own things... I guess the company doesn't know it against the state law...
    Schedule is unreasonable tight if you are capable, however, you can also don't do anything as long as you know who to flatter.
    A typical small company. Don't have too much potential to become a large company.