IOActive Reviews | Glassdoor

IOActive Reviews

Updated May 22, 2019

Found 48 reviews

4.3
IOActive CEO Jennifer Sunshine Steffens (no image)
Jennifer Sunshine Steffens
Pros
  • "Incredibly smart people to work with, you learn a lot while here(in 6 reviews)

• "IOA has some of the most amazing technical talent on the face of this earth(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "As a small company, IOActive must continue to improve on the core business processes that will make it truly world class(in 5 reviews)

• "Morale and HR issues are addressed with booze, parties, and regular culling of the staff(in 3 reviews)

1. "IOActive is unique - a mix of amazing talent and a family oriented environment"

Current Employee - Director of Services in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IOActive full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really smart people, some of the best in world at what they do. By far the nicest senior management team I have every worked with. Very efficient support groups that accelerate processes unlike some companies where they act as a brake on productivity.

Cons

IT could be stronger. Sometimes it is hard to find an owner for some activities.

IOActive2019-05-22
  2. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at IOActive full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have found the people at IOActive to be smart, engaging and fun to be around. The work is interesting and the management team is open to helping you grow your skill set if you seek out the opportunities. It is great working in an environment which feels like a startup, but is a well-established company with a strong reputation.

Cons

The right personality fit will find success, but those who don't fit with the culture may struggle.

IOActive2019-05-08

"Continuously Improving and Supportive Environment"

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Folsom, CA

I have been working at IOActive full-time for less than a year

Pros

Open door policy with a management team that is set on continuously improving on all levels. Everyone's input is taken into account and welcomed. The research and security testing keeps you on the edge of your seat and it gives me a great feeling of making a difference that I have not gotten at any other job. Most positions at the company are remote, they support positions all over the world as well has... having some physical locations as well.

Cons

Smaller-sized company with a high volume of work and passionate employees - if you are a strict 9-5 just trying to get through your 40 hours a week - probably not the best fit. Filled with unique, brilliant individuals with a wide range of personalities - can be difficult for some to navigate.

Advice to Management

Keep continuing process improvement & documentation.

IOActive2019-01-29

"Fun and challenging place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people hands down, I work with some of the best and brightest in the industry. The clients and variety of projects is second to none. Everything from web app to hacking cars, if you can dream it up this team has worked on it and killed it. Your voice is heard. You can talk to anyone in the management chain including the CEO and owner. It’s a true open door policy.

Cons

Its a small company and that’s not for some people. If you like the big corporate machine then IOActive isn’t for you. Our direction can change in a moments notice and that’s the beauty of working for a small organization, change happens and it can be fast. We expect you to bring your A game from day one, if you are looking for a place to punch a clock and collect a paycheck, again this isn’t the place for you. ... You need passion and confidence.

IOActive2018-12-21

"Captain-less ship of pirates heading straight for the rocks"

I worked at IOActive

Pros

Security consultants are very good at what they do.

Cons

No vision, no leadership. No cohesive anything. “Management” is pathetically disorganized and chaotic, no cohesive sense of direction as to where the company is headed or even what they will focus on specializing in. All that seems to be required of those hired is that they agree with the CEO, no matter the topic. The “CEO” is immature, does not seem to possess any business sense whatsoever, and will monopolize... any conversation in her vicinity with anecdotes of self completely irrelevant to the subject matter. She has no sense how to lead a company, and this shop is headed straight for the rocks. Get out while you can. Do not work here.

Advice to Management

Complete overhaul is necessary at this point.

IOActive2019-01-20

"Fun place to work and love the people I work with! We are family."

I have been working at IOActive full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Incredibly smart people to work with, you learn a lot while here Challenging, interesting and exciting industry and the company is on the cutting edge Being a smaller boutique firm, we are all very close, like family. We can do our jobs successfully remotely Growth opportunity in many areas of the business, especially for the consultants.

Cons

Work hard- but play harder! not really a negative if you have the stamina!

IOActive2018-10-05

"Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Service Administrator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small company with a global foot print.

Cons

Company is spread out all over the world and most work is done remotely. Its hard to get to know your coworkers

IOActive2018-10-12

"Buccaneer Cruise"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at IOActive full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Team, awesome people leadership by Sunshine, cutting edge

Cons

Room for improvement when sharing vision and execution strategy

Advice to Management

Where is the ship going? Tell your people. Turn followers into leaders. Empower them. Ask, don´t assume.

IOActive2018-06-17

"In need of repair"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at IOActive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The industry is white-hot and their services are in need.

Cons

IOActive's business model is to sub-contract most of their technical consultants who leave on a whim whenever they get a better offer. The leadership team is a joke where the owner of the company doesn't have a clue how messed up things truly are. The CEO doesn't seem to have any business experience whatsoever and she has hired nothing but yes men who know nothing about growing a business.

Advice to Management

Sell the company while it still has some value.

IOActive2018-02-15

"Incredible place to grow your career and your skill set."

Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm coming up on the completion of my first year at IOActive, and I couldn't be happier. When I started I was inexperienced and quite new to the professional world. I'd worked in a variety of industries and honestly had no idea what to expect from IOActive. I rapidly realized that this was an environment filled with highly intelligent, driven people, who all care about and are good at their jobs. Not only that, but... they have been endlessly patient with me, and are always willing to take the time to mentor or show me how to do something new. As I have demonstrated my abilities, I have been recognized, and given increasing responsibilities, all in line with my expressed interests and career goals. If you work hard here, and do a good job, it doesn't go unnoticed. This review may seem overly positive, but I have honestly been blown away by this company, and especially my coworkers.

Cons

There is definitely a demanding work load and high level of organization required to succeed here. Being a small company, you must be prepared to take on multiple roles, and to always be flexible in your position. While some may view this as a "con", I also feel that it is an excellent reason to work here. You also need to know when to turn off work for the day. I was told early on that there will always be more... work than can get done in a day, and that I need to be comfortable with letting some things wait for tomorrow. This has been valuable advice, and quite true.

Advice to Management

Please maintain the open communication and availability that has been present for me in my first year. The moments that I get with Jennifer, or other members of senior management, are always very valuable, and teach me something new every time we interact. The recognition, and obvious care for employees goes a long way to make IOActive the healthy work environment that it is.

IOActive2017-06-09