IOActive Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Jennifer Sunshine Steffens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Incredible place to grow your career and your skill set."

Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm coming up on the completion of my first year at IOActive, and I couldn't be happier. When I started I was inexperienced and quite new to the professional world. I'd worked in a variety of industries and honestly had no idea what to expect from IOActive. I rapidly realized that this was an environment filled with highly intelligent, driven people, who all care about and are good at their jobs. Not only that, but they have been endlessly patient with me, and are always willing to take the time to mentor or show me how to do something new. As I have demonstrated my abilities, I have been recognized, and given increasing responsibilities, all in line with my expressed interests and career goals. If you work hard here, and do a good job, it doesn't go unnoticed.

This review may seem overly positive, but I have honestly been blown away by this company, and especially my coworkers.

Cons

There is definitely a demanding work load and high level of organization required to succeed here. Being a small company, you must be prepared to take on multiple roles, and to always be flexible in your position. While some may view this as a "con", I also feel that it is an excellent reason to work here.

You also need to know when to turn off work for the day. I was told early on that there will always be more work than can get done in a day, and that I need to be comfortable with letting some things wait for tomorrow. This has been valuable advice, and quite true.

Advice to Management

Please maintain the open communication and availability that has been present for me in my first year. The moments that I get with Jennifer, or other members of senior management, are always very valuable, and teach me something new every time we interact. The recognition, and obvious care for employees goes a long way to make IOActive the healthy work environment that it is.

"Excellent company to work for. Exciting Opportunities, excellent management, and a fun pirate culture."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at IOActive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was an employee at IOActive for over 5 years, and it was fun from the very beginning. Working with Jennifer (the company CEO) made my job easier, and her guidance allowed me to grow and prosper in my role. This company has grown immensely since I started there, and this provided so many opportunities for me to expand my skills and abilities. I really felt like I could have an impact on the company, and I was building something meaningful. Every year presented new challenges, especially when the company’s global expansion kicked into high gear. I learned how to think on my feet and succeed under pressure, and all along the way, I had the constant support of management.

The CEO always had an open door policy, and she would encourage me to ask her the tough questions and challenge her thinking. Most of the time, she knew exactly what to do, however, there were many occasions where she changed her direction based on my ideas and input. This is the sign of a good leader, and I am very happy that she was one of my mentors in life.

The company has a fun pirate culture that presents a unique theme that ties in with the company’s services. My colleagues enjoyed being called pirates, and we all had fun at work everyday. We had regular company events, such as our Halloween party, and amazing company getaways as a reward for great performance. I have moved on now, but I always consider myself a pirate. I highly recommend working here if you want to grow and challenge your career.

Cons

IOActive is a company that rewards good performance. However occasionally, an employee would become upset because they thought they should get paid more for doing less. I never liked this type of attitude, but I have to admit that management always handled this well, and they made sure everyone was treated fairly. I always agreed that hard work and good performance were necessary to succeed anywhere, and IOActive is certainly a company that rewards hard work.

Advice to Management

With the accelerated growth of the company globally, I would recommend that IOActive hire more executives into key positions (which they seem to be doing now). This will support the overall success of the organization, and allow leadership to steer the ship in the direction of success.

"Great company driving the security industry forward"

Current Employee - STPMM in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - STPMM in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The on boarding experience was great--very seamless. Benefits are strong for an innovative, boutique security firm and are consistently evaluated for improvements. Management and leadership have a great sense of where the company is headed. Innovation and research into solving security problems for industry is a priority here.

Cons

You need to be comfortable with innovation here. This is probably more of a pro than a con, I guess. Great culture.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing--it's a great place to work.

"6 month employee"

Current Employee - Vice President of Operations in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Operations in Seattle, WA

Pros

Innovation, creativity and opportunity.

IOActive is a young company so any employee can influence the company's future. I am very excited to work with such a dedicated technical team. A very unique and cool place to work if you like looking at problems in unorthodox ways.

Cons

It is a young company so doesn't have many of the established processes that you would see in an older company. You have to be ok with that or better yet, help define the processes without adding bureaucracy that is so common in most larger companies.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring dedicated and uniquely skilled people that like to help customers secure their products from nation-state attackers.

"Exciting, Engaging, Entertaining and Evolving!!!"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Windham, NH
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Windham, NH

I worked at IOActive (More than a year)

Pros

IOA has some of the most amazing technical talent on the face of this earth. As a BDM, knowing the type of quality work enables you to not sell on price but on quality of the work to be performed. Two amazing labs for embedded penetration testing as well as consultants in over 26 countries. Management will always listen to you and return feedback directly. Also, the fact that this company has such great talent and can make decisions quickly for the BDMs is a huge plus!!!!

Cons

As a remote BDM, sometimes info takes a while to get to you, but if you ask, they will always respond. Do not promote just to promote. Quality at all levels is a must to continue success!

Advice to Management

As stated above, quality at all levels is a must for success. It is better to wait and get the right people into positions than just move people that are not ready or do not have the right temperament.

"half full"

Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time

Pros

IOActive is good if you are a true geek with skills looking to work on fun, challenging projects you would never see in the real world. If you are looking to just hide and collect a check, take a pass, you will be managed out.

Cons

There could be more cross over between the hardware and software teams and for those of us looking to get more into breaking gates, time on the FIB!

Advice to Management

Keep sending cookies.

"Rarefied Air"

Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have contributed to research that has reshaped the way the world perceives and adopts technology; I find this hands down amazing. I have seen news stories and white house policy change as a result of my and my co-workers research effort. I'm not sure where else I could do that but I'm happy its happened to me here and look forward to the next break.

Cons

Sometimes client projects slip and we have to be rerouted to another site. Not a show ender but a hassle none the less.

Advice to Management

Hack the planet!!

"Gravity of Genius"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IOActive is a great place to work if you want to work with the best and the brightest in the industry with no pretense. We check our ego's at the door and focus on doing good work for ourselves and our clients. I have never been somewhere with such a dynamic team willing to go the extra mile for one another; two thumbs up.

Cons

We could use some a few junior consultants to fetch my coffee.

Advice to Management

Keep it funky.

"DO NOT COME HERE"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

Pros

Smart people for the most part

Cons

You've heard of MBO? Here it's MBB- Management By Bullying. CEO thinks we are all there to serve her, not the customer. Very poor morale; everyone I know here is looking for a new job.
    The founder of the company needs to get a REAL CEO- our current one has no business acumen; if you don't kiss up to her, she won't like you. Expected to spend every waking hour working-no work/life balance.
    The parties are inappropriate- part of the reason so many of the decent people are leaving here.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO- current one should be in sales- but then that would mean she would need to learn what we do.

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Security Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Security Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at IOActive full-time

Pros

Tons of Opportunities to grow. let me first say this is not a company that will hold your hand as your go through the process of building your career, but everything is there for the taking. There are tons of smart people and lots of resources, a large variety of work, and opportunities to even travel like crazy if that is your thing. If you can take responsibility for your own career then this is a perfect environment to help you grow or to set you up working with the top people and clients.
    There is a place for everyone in terms of company culture and outside of work life. If you like to party there's a strong party scene, even if you like to kick back or have a quiet evening there are opportunities. I personally tried out both, I found a deal of encouragement, brotherhood, and friendship working at IOA.

Cons

There are a lot of strong personalities and different structures within IOA that initially seemed a bit unstructured.
    However, I quickly realized sitting around and doing nothing got me no where, reaching out, connecting and asking for things got me everywhere.