Inflection Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Matthew Monahan

Pros
  • Work/life balance: 2 days WFH policy, family-friendly culture (in 16 reviews)

• I am able to successfully work with teams across multiple locations, and very much enjoy work from home days (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management - there really aren't any great middle managers (in 4 reviews)

• Really, congratulations to Inflection and the upper management there (in 4 reviews)

1. "I love Mondays!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Inflection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Inflection we kick off our week with high energy. Monday team meetings include agreement on our priorities and plans for the week ahead. I dreaded Mondays for 20 years of my corporate life and now I can't wait to see my team and get started. It's rewarding to make an impact and work with such talented professionals.

My proudest moments at Inflection are when our team members are recognized for their hard work and creative solutions. I work primarily on the employment screening side of our business and the GoodHire team is a fresh, eclectic and diverse mix of geniuses with a lot of energy moving in the right direction. I have seen more product growth in my 11 months at Inflection than in 5 years at any other company I've worked for. Our customers love our product and the support team is world class, which makes my job even more fun.

Inflection is a truly transparent culture. Most all organizations in the valley claim to be but Inflection lives this value and we all are better equipped to meet our goals because of it.

Cons

Previous restructuring caused some shifts in morale but the ace team in place is focused and determined.

Advice to Management

Remain transparent.

"Another round of lay-offs"

Former Employee - Experience Senior Director in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Experience Senior Director in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Inflection (More than a year)

Pros

Some people consider working from home on some days to be a pro. A good first job right after college.

Cons

Another round of layoffs, sad news for the company that can't make the payroll and need to trim to stay relevant. Not for long, there is the writing on the wall...

Advice to Management

Sell before it is too late. Another fundraiser just prolongs the agony. Karma.

Inflection Response

Dec 13, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

We regret that you feel you had a negative experience. As a member of the HR team at Inflection, I can confirm that we have not had any layoffs or reductions since our RIF in March of 2016

3. "I cant see myself anywhere else!"

Current Employee - Level II Support in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Level II Support in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Inflection full-time

Pros

I LOVE my job! I have been employed with Inflection for a little over a year and there has not been a single day that I woke up dreading going to work. They offer great pay and amazing benefits such as affordable healthcare, amazing PTO from day one, and a matching 401K. There is so much room for advancement and they truly believe in promoting within, withing a year I have had a job transfer and two promotions! The benefits are amazing, free catered lunch daily, amazing team building and company outings, monthly bonuses that are easily obtained, and best the thing I love most of all are my co-workers and leadership team. Everyone is extremely helpful and want to see you succeed. God willing, I will retire from this company many many many years from now!

Cons

The only con is that one day I will have to retire and I wont be able to come in to work to my co-workers smiley faces!

Advice to Management

You're awesome! Don;t change!

"Great people, great culture, great vision."

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Inflection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone enjoys their job and their place in the company. People WANT to come to work. The benefits are top notch and the perks are even better.
    The companies direction is strong. They have made tough decisions to maintain its direction and did so with extreme professionalism.
    Upper level executive transparency really impresses me.

Cons

The CA office has a very competitive employee pool and as such gets some very talented, but slightly "spoiled" people in the door due to the Silicon Valley culture. Key emphasis is on talented.

"Omaha Proud"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Inflection (More than a year)

Pros

I am proud to be a part of the Inflection team, and truly enjoy the people I work with in Omaha, remotely, and in Redwood Shores. My leadership team trusts me to make sound decisions, and supports me when needed. I believe they care about me as an individual, and have created a culture that allows me work/life balance, career opportunities, and a voice in the company.

Benefit package is highly competitive (Coverage from day one at 90%); Compensation is based on performance and continually evaluated against the market; Perks for Omaha market are outstanding (Free catered meals, drinks, snacks, SWAG, and events).

Open Door Policy-Employees have numerous ways to have their voice be heard; for example, comment boxes, town hall meetings, and surveys. Omaha hosts Center Meetings once a month to hear business updates.

Career Progression-This has improved over the last year in Omaha. Employees are now able to cross-train in other areas; thus, improving their skill set and compensation. The Training team has elevated the new hire training and on-going training to improve production. Additional performance reviews and peer feedback opportunities are now a regular occurrence.

Cons

At a time when the company is restoring trust and working to improve employee morale in the wake of a strategic re-structuring, leaders are often influenced by the voices of a few. While retention is paramount, allowing people's sense of entitlement should not dictate business decisions.

If you're not willing to be agile and flexible to changes in business priorities, Inflection would not be a wise career choice.

Advice to Management

Continue to find opportunities to collaborate with your remote employees, leverage their knowledge, abilities, and enthusiasm for the business. Logistically, it may take more time to coordinate; however, the benefits are far reaching in improving the employee experience. Are there other opportunities to fill vacant roles in either Omaha or remotely since San Francisco can be a more competitive market to draw talent from?

"Omaha Location"

Current Employee - Nebraska in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Nebraska in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Inflection full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people! This is probably everyone's number one Pro. The people are great, family atmosphere. Perks like free lunch.
    I enjoy working for a company that makes me feel like my opinion matters. I have suggested changes and they were implemented within days. Open dialogue.

Cons

Since the home office is in California, there are times when we need someone to approve an invoice, or similar, and must wait until they come in. That can be 10 or 11 CST. Not a huge deal.

Advice to Management

Better communication between the two offices. Sometimes Omaha can be a couple of days behind. There has not been any critical delays because of this. Usually it is just procedural.

"Smoke and Mirrors"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Inflection full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home 2 days a week.

Cons

If you want to know what it is like to work at inflection I suggest you read "Disrupted: My Misadventure in the Start-Up Bubble" by Daniel Lyons

"Sinking Ship!!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

Casual dress and some of the perks.

Cons

Horrible Management/Leadership, Lackadaisical employees, extremely poor training, and a High School atmosphere. Leadership is constantly in hour + pointless meetings multiple times a day and is never willing to handle escalated issues when their actually at their desks. Definitely not a top place to work like they preach.

Advice to Management

Giving advice wouldn't matter!!!

"Matter of time....."

Former Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Inflection full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture and casual dress code. Definitely a family-oriented company...very transparent Nice people and professional.

Cons

Everything seemed to be fine, was working toward goals established, then the bomb got dropped on us that 35% of us would be laid off and that's just what happened...a lot of it in marketing, business development and sales I knew that we needed to make some real big deals, to offset the high engineering costs that they didn't have the forward-thinking to think about a few years back before they were implemented...but not the Marketing, BD, and Sales departments fault....we were going out there trying to make things happen.....the engineering costs along with spending to much money on overpaid "fresh15" supposedly high talent graduates...also lots of wasted money on perks like catered lunches....if they get rid of the meal program they could have saved 5 jobs at least.....guess food is more important than keeping talented and loyal people. Overall, I fought hard for this company and was let down in the end. They will end up being sold to a big corporate entity in the end I believe.....just a matter of time.

Advice to Management

I really don't have any advice..... on how to fix what's broken.....the business model appears to be flawed. Maybe make minimum purchase requirements for customers.

"Intelligent Team Solving Large, Complex Problems"

Current Employee - Business Development in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Inflection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Integrity: Warren Buffet once said, "I look for 3 things in hiring people: integrity, intelligence, and a high energy level. But if you don't have the first, the other two will wreck you." When trying to build the trust layer on the internet and when dealing with something as sensitive as digital identity, it is very important that integrity and morality is at the forefront of all decision making. I truly believe that the co-founders, Matthew and Brian Monahan, have a knack for understanding human sentiments, a keen sense of the moralistic and right path forward, and have chosen time and time again to side with morality throughout decision-making processes. Integrity is core to any successful business and Matthew and Brian have been great stewards of integrating it throughout the business. This is reflected in the type of people that they hire and the types of decisions that are made at critical junctures.

People: The company's greatest asset are its people. The level of cohesiveness and teamwork exemplified throughout the organization is unrivaled and makes for seamless collaboration on new and ongoing initiatives.

Mission: In this day and age, building trust on the internet is a herculean but absolutely worthwhile task. With increased hacks, with cyber fraud becoming one of the fastest growing crime, the market is demanding solutions to solve these problems. Inflection is driven to help provide greater levels of trust on the internet and has extremely intelligent people striving towards the solution.

Transparency: As a testament of both the flat org structure and the willingness to keep everyone apprised, there is a great effort across the company to make business practices, decision-making, and collaboration as transparent as possible. Employees can anonymously submit questions throughout the week to be answered by the co-founders on Friday.

Cons

Focus: As with all organizations, a laser-like focus on the most important initiatives is of absolute importance. Inflection has several smaller business operating under the umbrella so focus and resource appropriation towards the right initiatives will be key moving forward. This is recognized by management and the greater company, and there are active steps being taken to prioritize.

Advice to Management

As you have done so far, keep integrity and morality at the forefront of your decision-making. Integrity is key in business practices, is key in hiring, is key in product development, is key in market making, the list goes on and on. It will win out and everything else will take care of itself.