Inland Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Inland CEO Mark Glendenning
Mark Glendenning

1. Featured Review

"Love coming to work every day!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Inland full-time

Pros

Inland is a family owned company led by people who really do care about their employees. I felt that when I first walked in the door and I still feel it today. The culture at Inland is evident by the large number of long term employees that work here. Many people have been here for 20+ years. The pride in the work done day in and day out is unbeatable. Inland also really values growing their employees, often promoting from within and providing educational opportunities to employees. Aside from that, Inland is a very family-friendly place to work, with great work-life balance. Pay is excellent, work is appreciated, and people are friendly. It's truly a team, and I love coming here every day.

Cons

Inland is a growing company spread out over numerous locations. Any company in the same situation is going to experience some growing pains. However, while change can be difficult, I think it's important to look at it for what it really is: opportunity. I feel that the continued growth and success of Inland as a company only means greater opportunity for all employees.

Advice to Management

Keep communication open to all employees and find ways to seek their feedback.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Inland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are good. Plenty of opportunities to grow. Great support from management.

Cons

Occasionally leadership seems to be focused to far in the future and loses site of the near term goals.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in more high caliber people.

3. "Ever Evolving at Inland"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Inland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Inland is a fast passed company that is growing rapidly. They are investing in capital equipment and embracing continuous improvement. Top down leadership that care about today and long term goals that end up benefitting employees resulting in profit sharing and job security.

Cons

Inland is so fast paced they are often reactionary. Direction changes quickly and plans are not fully developed before launching initiatives. There are so many big things going on that it is sometimes hard to put attention to details.

Advice to Management

Communication can always be better. Maybe look at increasing hourly pay ranges that will lead to getting the cream of the crop and higher expectations. Hourly employees touch the product, they make the difference for customer satisfaction.

5. "Great Employer - Treats employees right!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Inland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Inland is small enough to not feel like your a number in the big machine of corporate America, but big enough to have the resources to treat their employees fair and well. 401k match, excellent benefits, I've been here for over 2 years and have gotten 3 good raises in pay and get 120 hours paid time off per year.

If I have a problem or need better resources to get my job done, I ask and they listen. If I need to go to the doctor they are flexible and work with me to accommodate. I can't say enough about how well they treat you at Inland.

Cons

All their locations are spread out, so some positions require travel. Some require daily travel, which can be frustrating (but though they do compensate you for mileage).

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your team, keep innovating so you stay ahead of your competitors.

6. "Inland Packaging- La Crosse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Inland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Inland facilities are well maintained and the company is continually investing in itself. The company cares about quality products and customer satisfaction.

Cons

With the added expansion and growth, additional personnel should be added in a number of departments to help with the workload. Pay is average for the area, could be better, could be worse. Many mid-level/ salaried employees are putting in a high number of hours on a regular basis to keep up with work demands.

Advice to Management

Meet with department managers and assess staffing needs. Do not cap the annual raise percentages, give raises based on the true value an individual brings to the organization.

7. "Growing Company - Job Security - Opportunities to Advance within"

Current Employee - Production in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Production in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Inland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As mentioned it the "title" - Inland is a vast growing company offering fairly, good pay & competitive benefits, job security, many avenues to advance from within, and a decent environment to work. Production workers have a unique rotating-schedule, that offers work/life balance (@ La Crosse Plants), but unfortunately when it slows down workers only get 36/hrs a week (losing Sundays with premium pay and shorting you on hours = potential earnings lost). Inland does offer a program to make up hours to guarantee 40/hrs, if you are willing to sign up. Inland is a good place to work over all.

Cons

Sadly there are many downsides with management (upper & executive level) with poor communication, terribly backward way of picking out "shining stars" - S.Q.P. (Safety - Quality - Productivity) is the model, but it seems that only PRODUCTIVITY is of concern; if you care about your job enough to speak up and shed light on areas that need improvement, you get shut down and labeled a "bad apple", but if you shut your mouth, don't give a crap and produce high yield, upper management will tip their hat to you and sing your praises - all the while the company loses money on your carelessness, yet they don't look at the full picture. Training process in production is a mess; inconsistent, with no good follow up from management to ensure you are doing well or where you need to improve. Again with COMMUNICATION, there is a huge disconnect between departments, which makes it frustrating when trying to offer improvements or express concerns.

Advice to Management

Read Above! and think about it -- you have a lot of skilled and knowledgeable folks on the floor, who want to see this company thrive, don't shut them down. Even if it seems they are angry and frustrated, or maybe the approach they use to communicate is not ideal, listen - Truly LISTEN, they care enough to bring issues up! -- Get to know your real shinning stars, the one's that take the time to care for your expensive equipment, produce Quality work and heed safety precautions. -- Provide more avenues to communicate, like regular inter-departmental meetings/gatherings (Include your night employees - whatever it takes!!!) so questions and concerns can be dealt with in an appropriate manner & timely fashion. -- Improve Training process, keep it consistent, have actual trainers who desire to pass along their knowledge, and let people know how they are doing along the way (not just in reviews and not just from the floor Leads - Upper management needs to be involved in this).-- Don't be lazy about letting people go. You have an unfortunate amount of lazy workers who don't take there job seriously, because there is no evidence that you care (so why should they) - Crack down on those people and weed them out - show everyone that you're a company of high standards and integrity. The more they see you take it serious and hold to your standards the better off Inland will be as a whole.

8. "Job satisfaction"

Former Employee - Rewinder in Neenah, WI
    Former Employee - Rewinder in Neenah, WI

I worked at Inland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work. Some what clean.

Cons

There are several down sides. 1st. management love to cover themselfs. They had me sign contracts & then broke the rules. The highest raise is only 3% & when Inland bought out Valley most of us lost all our vacation time. They cheat a lot of there employees, the management has no clue what it's doing. Most employees end up leaving. Personally I'm fine with others working there, I just could not take lies. Oh cameras are every.

Advice to Management

I'm not really sure. All management needs training. I would suggest Fox Valley Tech.

"Low Pay for Skilled Men"

Current Employee - Lead in Lacrosse, WA
    Current Employee - Lead in Lacrosse, WA

I have been working at Inland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Air-Conditioning, work environment is clean compared to other places. Plenty of overtime. Lots of travel and my own office.

Cons

They tend to promote the uneducated brown nosers who say yes to everything. A degree will get you nowhere. Wages aren't keeping up with the rest of the state.

Advice to Management

Take care of your men and take a better look at the pay scale. You are going to be loosing men real soon because you aren't paying enough.

10. "I helped make web apps for the company and am involved in a lot of the projects for the IT team, very welcoming."

Current Employee - Programming Intern in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Programming Intern in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Inland part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They let you work independently, but at the same time you'll be an integral part of the IT team. It's a great experience for an intern. The people are really friendly and knowledgeable. They are passionate, but at the same time have lives and won't work you to death. They let you work whenever you want. Everyone is willing to answer questions and help you out. The compensation is way higher than other internships I was looking at. The owner of the company is just a call away and if you felt that you needed to talk to him, there are no barriers. Their values as a company are very respectful; everyone does their best to increase safety and quality. They are also trying to expand vigorously which makes for a very exciting environment.

Cons

Some of the technology they use is a little old, but they are continually upgrading. If you want your hand to be held or aren't willing to put in extra time to bring yourself up to speed with the technologies they use (.NET) then you might not do to well.

Advice to Management

Keep the relationship with interns just the way it is. It's a perfect balance of independence, involvement, and respect.

"Good Company but drives good employee's out the door."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Inland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people on the front line and middle management. Willing to invest in the future of the business, through equipment and technology.

Cons

Lack of training, management will criticize without knowing all the facts. Trying new things but not understanding that these things take time. Some items don't exist in the market place and need to be developed. Management will select favorites. It is a company of "good old boys" as indicate in other reviews.

Advice to Management

Don't hide journal information, you never know who will have access to it, and will read it and know you did not give that feedback directly to the employee. Offer help and constructive criticism. Don't play favorites.