InnovaSystems International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Chris Wollerman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great Place for Motivated People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at InnovaSystems International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is a great place to thrive, learn, and build leadership skills. They are open to a lot of the ideas their employees suggest. I have suggested quite a few things that they have let me run with and organize which has had a huge impact on my professional development. I learn so much and build so many skills every year I work here.

Everyone is extremely friendly. The company promotes cross team collaboration and likes to make sure their employees have several opportunities to build relationships and get to know each other. They have a strong focus on keeping their employees happy. The company also has a lot of practices in place that help ensure you have a great relationship with your supervisor. This was a big deal for me after having a few not-so-great experiences with supervisors at past jobs.

I also appreciate the fact that everyone I work with is very smart and really knows their area of expertise. There are great mentors for just about any career direction.

You get to set your own schedule and have the opportunity to flex time and save on vacation days. The benefits are really good.

Cons

Like any company, there are a few people that are set in their ways and a few strong personalities, but I've seen many of those people on my team slowly change over the years. It is very process driven, but they can't really avoid that as a DoD contractor. There are some weird dynamics between satisfying your project needs vs company overhead requirements, but there's still a silver lining here. The company overhead requirements are there to make sure you are focused on reaching big goals three times a year as well as maintaining a good relationship with your supervisor and direct reports.

There are varied opinions on work/life balance here. You sort of set the tone for that yourself based on the goals you set and the things you initiate. I work a lot, which has been a personal choice since I see personal value in what I've chosen to do here. Once you start something, they'll expect you to continue doing it. Another thing that's not a complete con...

Advice to Management

There's a bit of a push for everyone to read from the company selected reading list, however, a lot of the concepts can be found in other books that better align to certain industries and/or departments. It's good to have the suggested reading list, but it would be nice to promote reading anything that aligns to the company direction to promote a wider variety of perspectives. I've wondered if it looks bad that I haven't read any of the company suggested books, but I've got a backlog of industry suggested books I really want to get through, and thoroughly enjoy reading, that would still benefit to the company.

As different individuals read different books, we can all talk about different lessons learned from each, rather than all digesting the same content.

2. "Great Company, Limited Growth Opportunities"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at InnovaSystems International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innova is a great place to work, Great Benefits, Awesome People, and Flexible Schedule. Management really cares about making it a great place to work.

Cons

There are not a lot of growth opportunities, it is hard to get ahead if you are not part of the inner circle. Can often feel siloed from others not part of your team.

Advice to Management

Encourage more cross-functionality and interaction between teams.

3. "Not bad but not great"

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Average Salary and benefits. Flexible Schedule

Cons

Too much Franklin Covey BS.

"Software Developer"

Current Employee - Asp.net Software Developer in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Asp.net Software Developer in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at InnovaSystems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible work schedule. Management has taken some initiative due to (My) previous Glassdoor comments referenced during town hall meetings for career development and I am interested in how this will be used to progress the careers of current team members.

Cons

Takes a very long time for team positions to be filled leading to some teams with overloaded developers with no direct supervision or guidance. As a developer, 80% of my position is maintaining legacy applications and being bombarded with bugs (any time a bug is found, regardless of what it is, becomes #1 priority. This is true even it is not currently affecting users or was developed that way years ago). Due to this, committed sprint work is very rarely finished which makes the company look bad.

Advice to Management

Open the coffers and hire competent lead developers and management who can steer us on course

5. "Lead"

Current Employee - Team Lead in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in San Diego, CA

I have been working at InnovaSystems International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company with great values. Been employed for a few years now and the culture and the people make it one of the best places I have ever worked. There is a family atmosphere around here with flexible hours and support at all times from the leadership. I can't imagine a better place to work in San Diego that affords the same opportunities to grow and work with our many Military clients. Pay and benefits are tops from what I can tell.

Cons

Not many cons other than some of the projects lack some key talented individuals that are needed in some of the projects. Good development talent is hard to find and wished we had more developers interested in innovative solutions. The company sometimes seem to be ahead of our customer base when it comes to our Agile development approach.

Advice to Management

Start hiring some talent to fill the many positions we have. Many of the projects could use the support and some new talent.

6. "Software engineer"

I have been working at InnovaSystems International full-time

Pros

Great work / life balance. Ability to work from home.

Cons

Company wide goals tend to lose focus from the top down.

"Enjoyable Company to work for!"

Current Employee - .NET Software Engineer in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - .NET Software Engineer in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at InnovaSystems International full-time

Pros

I feel that I am compensated fairly! It is a very friendly work environment, I think a lot of my coworkers are friends outside of work too!

Cons

Sometimes having to worry about their W.I.G. or wildly important goal and their whole Inspire goal setting program can get a little annoying, but I think it can help people stay on task!

8. "Good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at InnovaSystems International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has competitive salary and benefits and the work is in supporting the Military hence very motivating. Company culture is good and training in leadership skills is provided to all employees.

Cons

Salary and benefits are competitive but not tops. Opportunities for promotion are limited and as a private company there is no employee stock purchase program. Focus of the company leadership is in reducing costs to be successful in winning contracts.

Advice to Management

Innova is a good company to work for and the company culture is good. Make sure to have a balanced mix of leaders from the Software Development and former DOD professionals. Reduced manning will bring a lot of new opportunities and I hope you can capture them.

"For a certain type of developer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at InnovaSystems International (More than a year)

Pros

Innova is a great place to work if you are looking for something lowkey. Their PTO/telecommute policies are the most flexible of 5 companies I've worked at by far. Work load is below average. Many developers actually work around 25 hours per week. It is a great place to relax if you have a busy life outside of work. The people here are all very friendly.

Cons

Pay is below average. Technology is outdated and limited to Microsoft products. Don't plan on getting a significant raise unless you ask. Promotions come largely on a fixed schedule. This is not a place to work if you are looking for a fast pace, both in terms of work and career advancement.

Advice to Management

Innova can be a 5 star or 1 star place to work depending on what an employee is looking for. Be more honest about the work environment to prospective hires. There is a clear trade off here of flexible hours and lighter work load for below market compensation.

InnovaSystems International Response

Jul 15, 2016 – Corporate Administrator

Thank you for your feedback. All positions, current and posted, are full-time, which indicates a misconception about some of our work schedules being only 25 hours. Developers, like all employees... More

"Good company"

Former Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA

I worked at InnovaSystems International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work is challenging but never dull. Was quickly given the right amount of freedom to make important decisions. Teams self-organized and always improving. Family feeling to ownership and great work/life balance. Pay was good and raises happened on yearly basis. HR/timesheet system was better than other contractors I have worked for although still not great.

Cons

Commercial leadership products being developed seemed to split the company into two pieces: (those who believed and those that did not).

Advice to Management

Break the company into two. One for DoD and one for commercial.