Inogen Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Scott Wilkinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor communication and lack of accountability from upper management" (in 12 reviews)

• "This is a company that is so far out of touch with the customer service effort that is mind blowing" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company, Great Product"

I have been working at Inogen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company that is growing that provides an opportunity for those that want to work hard and be successful. The core values are apparent and you can communicate freely. It is a good feeling to work for a company that sells a product that changes lives.

Cons

The company is growing fast so there can be a lot of change.

Advice to Management

Continue to ask employees for ideas and keep the communication open.

2. "Awesome place to work managers and management cares about their employees and the employee experience."

Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Inogen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, uncapped commissions, laxed work environment, laxed dress code, amazing employees.

Cons

Growing as fast as this company is doesn’t come without growing pains. Some kinks with lead distribution are still being ironed out along with communication issues that are being worked on.

Advice to Management

I would like to see more activities to help boost the floor moral.

"Job, not a career"

Pros

Flexible hours, relaxed dress code, and depending on your manager - no micro managing and ability to use your PTO as you wish

Cons

Limited opportunity for growth, you are just a number - no interest in employee development, job is advertised as “medical sales”, but let’s be real, you are a telemarketer. Leads are tough to come by, majority of “new leads” you pull are recycled old leads from long ago. I could go on and on with specifics but these are the main issues I have. Lastly I would just say that it seems the company is overly obsessed with pumping up their stock price and being considered a “hyper growth” company. It is understandable to want a good stock price but it seems they are over hiring. I started during this period where the mass hiring of 30-50+ began. Apparently they plan to start this up again soon and I can’t begin to understand why. It seems leads are spread very thin and it’s not like we get an overwhelming amount of inbound calls, so I’m just unsure where the need is. The only thing I can think is because of the high turnover?

Advice to Management

Instead of hiring anyone who has a pulse in mass numbers, how about being selective in your hiring and investing in your employees. The 2 week training wasn’t bad but it didn’t really give a realistic idea of what to expect when you are actually out on the sales floor. Maybe they’ve already changed this some, but allow new hires to shadow and listen to actual calls a lot more to know how most conversations with this customer base goes. In my training I got to shadow someone for about an hour in which he got no one on the phone, and we listened to 2 sample calls. One of which was someone calling in credit card in hand (which never happens) and the other was a call that was so obviously bad it was a great example of what not to do. But show examples of typical, average calls. Not just one of both extremes. Far from the worst job I’ve ever had but not all it’s cracked up to be. Like I said, it’s a job and not a career. Good for someone in between jobs or needing to get out of a miserable job. My rating of 3 stars is mostly based on the flexible work schedule and dress code

4. "Great place to SELL!"

Current Employee - Sales in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Inogen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is awesome! Plenty of opportunity to make money. I’ve worked in other telesales jobs and this is by far the best one! Managers are new, but, they are working to help their reps be successful. Trainers are great! Helping customers improve their lives with what we sell is the best thing about the job!!

Cons

Negativity of people. They need to go to real boiler rooms to understand what telesales is really like. People are “leaving” because they can’t sell, don’t want to work and have all the reasons why they can’t. If you come here to sell, you’ll truly be successful. If you spend all your time complaining and not working, why does anyone think they will be successful?! Those are the ones leaving or being asked to leave! Not a bad thing for those of us that want to be here!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Thanks!

5. "If you work hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen."

Current Employee - Medical Device Sales Representative in Willoughby, OH
    Current Employee - Medical Device Sales Representative in Willoughby, OH

I have been working at Inogen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve been with Inogen for over a year. I am a top performer and as I learn more about the company, I appreciate what we’re trying to do. First of all, as an incoming employee, it’s important to recognize you’re working for a high growth company that is disrupting an industry that has been stuck in mud for decades. That inherently comes with growing pains on the inside and an uphill battle on the outside (Doctor’s offices and patients used to doing things a certain way). A year’s worth of change happens in 3 months. New problems will arise along the way. That’s the nature of high growth. We have smart, fantastic leadership at the top. If you work hard, and if you have an opinion, state it in a way that’s fair to all stakeholders (THIS IS KEY AND I HAVE ESPECIALLY LEARNED THIS OVER THE LAST FEW MONTHS), you will be appreciated and be very happy here. The money is FANTASTIC if you’re willing to work for it. The Employee Stock Purchase Program is a goldmine. (To the many reviews who complained about the company focusing on the stock price: you do realize you can be a shareholder too at a nice discount, right?)

Cons

It is extremely hard to see outside your own job title because of the nature of a mostly commission-based job. I would not recommend this as a first sales job, or if you don’t have that burning desire to be great. If you don’t want to work hard, don’t even bother applying. There’s an organizational disconnect between Texas, California and Ohio that needs to be fixed ASAP (but it’s improving). We are treated as one but each major branch has different regional cultures, needs and time zones that may not be taken enough into account when organizational decisions are made.

Advice to Management

As a company, we are disrupting an industry but I think we need to do a better job creating an overall organizational infrastructure where we aren’t fighting for the same patients and can work across departments more collaboratively and efficiently (too many silos). We have a lot of great perks and I would like to see that continue to grow (including employee development). In other words: We should disrupt ourselves as aggressively as we are disrupting our place in the industry...it’ll allow us to work smarter and foster internal innovation. You already know plenty of my ideas, though :-)

"DTP REP"

Current Employee - DTP in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - DTP in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Inogen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very chill work environment. Nobody dresses up.

Cons

Inogen plays with our money. Lots of favoritism. Lots of rules that don't get followed except what to say to medicare shoppers.

Advice to Management

stop with the canned responses. The employee surveys are a joke. Managers don't manage anything but email & resending messages. They have no clue what goes on.

7. "9/10 bad reviews are because they’re salty they got canned for being lazy"

Current Employee - Medical Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Medical Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Inogen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly all the negative reviews are from lazy people who want everything handed to them. The same people crying foul are the same people who don’t hit their call metrics, spend 75% of their day on their cell phone, and get up to gossip every 15 minutes. How are you going to be shocked you’re getting fired when you only make 30% of the required calls a day and your trash sales numbers are a direct reflection of that. There are no favorites, no single person gets better leads than anyone else. Personally it makes me a little angry when I overhear people say these things and read the reviews on here because it does not accurately portray the way things are. Especially when there are employees, like myself who bust their butt everyday making the calls and for the people who do actually work and hit the call numbers, we do not have a problem hitting our sales goal month in and month out. I started here with the first class of the big new hire expansion and can tell you I have hit my sales goal every month since I started. It’s not hard if you are a legitimate hunter willing to put in the work. I was the most skeptical person about this job while I was going through the hiring and training process because I thought there was no way you could make 70-100k the first year. But having just completed my first calendar year I can tell you it’s not unrealistic as I made 87k before taxes, and that does not even count the insane employee stock purchase program that basically guarantees you make at least 15% of your investment. Good 2 week training, you will make the advertised salary if you put in the work, if you respect management they will stop what they’re doing to help you, pretty much wear whatever you want, as long as you hit numbers there is virtually no stress, best work/life balance you can get in a job while making this kind of money, pretty much impossible to be late due to the way the time clock works. Able to use PTO at will depending on manager even same day, employee stock plan is outrageously in favor of the employee it’s actually impossible to lose money unless the company goes bankrupt which will not happen. Can go days without a manager bothering you in your cubicle, a real self starter job. Mass expansion opening up management positions that they have said they will be promoting within for a lot of them so the opportunity for actual growth is here.

Cons

Negativity among coworkers, constant complaining, Managers do tend to use their PTO as freely as us often leaving us having to go to other supervisors, can go weeks without a team meeting and one day have one with an hours notice. If you take anything from this review, it’s that you get what you put in at this job and if you come in thinking you can sit on your hands all day, you will be out the door quicker than you came in. But if you come in eager to make money and work for 8 hours then it’s the best decision you’ll ever make.

Advice to Management

Try and be available more.

"Not a long term solution"

Pros

Company is full of friendly people. Coworkers are extremely friendly. Flexible work schedule. Free coffee. One really gets to experience what it’s like to help someone who needs it

Cons

How to get through this section without taking up too much space. FYI this is a very accurate depiction of my experience having worked for them more than a year. First of all -I sincerely hope the CEO and upper management took a pay cut in commissions the same way DTP reps did. Effective January 1st.. It’s not a very ethical nor long-term effective goal of a company interested in keeping stock prices competitively high.It just shows that they do not care about their employees who are the bread-and-butter of the company. They will clearly take anybody who is breathing maybe even an ex convict. Like I said 40% reduction in commissions for January 1 is absurd if you wish to keep employees happy and content. Otherwise you will continue to experience extremely high turnover rate with the reps who are the best educated flying the coop. Be sure to keep running new employees through your training classes. I suppose that proves it’s cheap to keep retraining a constant turnover of employees. Personally I am very disappointed with the promises that were made and not fulfilled. The lead system is running very poorly. For the company to use the instrument of commission reduction is unconscionable. Like I said I hope the CEO and management also implements this advice on their own salary. I feel extremely lucky that I had somewhere else to go. The stress constant monthly and weekly of quotas is ridiculous. It overshadows all the other enjoyment of this job including the enjoyment of those who you work with.

Advice to Management

Get your act together and fix the lead system. Luckily most of us are not stupid and we understand how leads work And are capable of finding other jobs. Remember nowadays you can’t hide a bad company to work for thanks to social media.

"Started off great"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Richardson, TX

I worked at Inogen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, casual work environment, stock options, commission. I made a lot of money the first 2 years then it declined because of the new hires and lack of leads. It's too bad because it's such an easy job. No stress. I would've stayed there forever.

Cons

I liked my manager who isn't there anymore but wouldn't work for any of the other managers. You can't keep raising goals and reducing commission. If you're going to make it a call center, then just do that.

"Unfair lead distribution and poor managment"

Current Employee - DTP Sales in Brooklyn, OH
    Current Employee - DTP Sales in Brooklyn, OH

I have been working at Inogen (More than a year)

Pros

flexible work day, stable hours,

Cons

inability to work more than 40 hours, poor managers, manage by fear