Interac Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fun way to live in Japan and get to know the culture working in elementary/junior high schools (in 10 reviews)

• That being said, please don't become a teacher for the amount of free time sitting at your desk (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Though it's still cheaper than you'll pay for private health insurance in America, so that's something (in 27 reviews)

• The company will always be on the Board of education side (in 9 reviews)

1. "Training and Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Training and Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Training and Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Interac part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Able to help aspiring English teachers to adjust and adapt in Japanese society
    Guide in immigration matter

Cons

I could not think of anything but only good things about Interac organization

Advice to Management

best organization ever

"Easy way to experience living and working in Japan"

Former Employee - ALT in Japan, MO
    Former Employee - ALT in Japan, MO

Pros

NOTE: I was in junior high schools some of this may be different from elementary or HS
    I spent two years with Interac and really enjoyed the experience. Here's some pros
    -Much easier to get into than JET who didn't even give me an interview
    -Pretty painless hiring process compared to JET and you don't have to wait around a year.
    -Much better than a lot of the other teach in Japan opportunities
    -They help set you up with an apartment
    -You can contact the office about whatever you need to (finding a doctor, trouble at school,etc...)
    -You get to work in Japanese public schools
    -The pay is more than enough to live on, I managed to save quite a bit, but you do need to be reasonable with your spending, don't travel/go out to eat/buy stuff constantly and then act baffled that you have no money.
    -They help with getting a phone, getting the national health insurance set up, etc...
    -They mostly stay out of your way and leave it to you to be an ALT at your school
    -They are really big so you can request a new location in Japan after you finish your year contract
    -Lots of vacation, all of August and lots of July off for summer break.
    -They help set you up with Japanese lessons if you want
    -Potentially pretty great hours, I had to stay until 4:45 everyday the first year but the second year at my new school I could leave at 3:30 which was great and gave me lots of time.
    -Co-workers are generally a good crowd, made some great friends.
    -Pretty chill about side jobs
    -Pay was always on time (With the exception of my last paycheck which had some complications with getting information from my landlord)
    -Some great placements in cities and suburbs as opposed to JET who have a reputation for rural placements

Cons

-Less pay/benefits compared to JET but if you could get into JET you wouldn't be here anyways.
    -You're experience will vary wildly depending on where you're placed/what school you get. You can get a school that expects you to walk in and do a 50 minute lesson the first day or a school that never expects you do do a lesson at all and just kind of assist the teacher with having kids repeat stuff in English, maybe play some warm-up games, it all depends on where you end up.
    Some schools are really into using ALTs some are much less so
    -Months with lots of time off have partial pay (the specifics are on the website)
    -There's about 2 weeks of training, but it's kind of up to you to figure out how to be a teacher
    -In my opinion this is not a long-term position, there are people who stay in it for a long time but there's no advancement you'll basically be in the same job at the same pay forever, but you can definitely take the job and look for better jobs throughout your year with interac, many places only hire people already in Japan
    -Supposedly they are into this dumb tearing you down and building you up mentality when it comes to training, my training only had a tiny bit of that element, but I've hear from people who had pretty bad training experiences particularly in Tokyo.
    -This is not a job for people looking to be like English teaching professor legends it's a job for people who want to goof around with Japanese kids and try to make their English class more fun while getting to experience living in Japan, I put this as a con because some people go in thinking they are going to be doing a lot more serious teaching than they are.
    -Co-workers who are bad with money and living way above their means complaining
    -Interac has to tell you to follow rules that nobody actually follows like no team teaching in certain areas which I did all year both years all the time mostly
    -Japanese schools are seriously lacking in ways to discipline their kids because they can't suspend them. That means if you get an awful kid everybody wants to strangle they can't kick him/her out, although you can talk to interac/the teachers you work with if there's a problem life a kid being rude to you a lot and they may be able to help out a lot with that.

Advice to Management

Provide some incentive for ALTs to stay if you don't want such a high turn over rate. Even providing a very slight raise from year to year would be tremendously encouraging and show your appreciation.

"Give and Take"

Former Employee - Language Consultant in Gretna, NE
    Former Employee - Language Consultant in Gretna, NE

I worked at Interac (Less than a year)

Pros

You will be paid on time. It's a great way to get a steady paycheck in Japan. Once there, it's up to you to learn Japanese, network, and find a job with better pay and a real career track.

Cons

They will nickel and dime you. You have little leeway to negotiate (you can always go back to your home country). Some staff is great, some are OK, and some are terrible to work with (just like any big company).

Advice to Management

Increase pay to allow enough disposable income to travel more.

"A useful option due to its ubiquitousness but you won't want to stay too long."

Former Employee - Native Speaker in Japan, MO
    Former Employee - Native Speaker in Japan, MO

I worked at Interac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get a job with. Positions all over Japan. Well-intentioned.

Cons

Very much a lottery as to teaching hours and working conditions. Training quality variable. Reduced salary in the vacations.

Advice to Management

Try to standardise more new staff's teaching hours.

5. "ALT"

I worked at Interac full-time

Pros

They help you set up a life as a teacher abroad, great branch manager and provide new teachers with trainings. Overall I had a good experience with them.

Cons

Look around before commit to the housing options they provide, you can find way better and cheaper housing options. Their regulations for trainings and scheduling have became a lot more difficult. Pay isn't the best compare to a lot of other teaching jobs in Japan.

6. "Comparable to JET"

I worked at Interac part-time

Pros

Good experience
    Great and helpful staff
    Great relationships with schools

Cons

Needs more training for new employees

7. "ALT"

I worked at Interac full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, lots of time off, great to work with kids. Great way to travel in Japan/Asia. Good Training.

Cons

You could get stuck in difficult schools, with students and teachers who don't want to work with you. Pay is low.

Advice to Management

Reward those who want to stick around, pay and promotions.

8. "OK"

I worked at Interac part-time

Pros

They pay on time. They get you to japan.

Cons

Many hidden expenses and tactics keep you from actually enjoying parts of Japanese life and culture. A less helpful/ non existent alumni group.

9. "Great experience"

Former Employee - English Teacher
    Former Employee - English Teacher

I worked at Interac full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Japan immersion as well as creating bonds with students/coworkers

Cons

Pay and location choice

Advice to Management

Pay raise

10. "Good first step into Japan"

Former Employee - ALT
    Former Employee - ALT

I worked at Interac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Helpful staff on call
    -Fun and energetic students
    -Meet plenty of interesting people
    -Work in Japan!

Cons

-Pay
    -Salary is reduced at times
    -No feedback on how you're doing