Interac Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 19, 2019

2.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Co-working staffs are very kind and always trying hard to get rid of any barriers to live in Japan especially in rural, inconvenient areas" (in 13 reviews)

• "That being said, please don't become a teacher for the amount of free time sitting at your desk" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "They don’t pay into your pension or health insurance so it’s obly best to stay for a year or two and then move on to something better" (in 43 reviews)

• "full time/part time is essentially same pay" (in 23 reviews)

1. "Great Company That Will Assist You Every Step of the Way"

I worked at Interac full-time

Pros

Provides 5 days of paid training, arranges travel to city and a Japanese person to help you move in. Additional training provided a few times a year. They will call you once a month to check in and provide support and assistance. A fun year-end party for employees.

Cons

Unlike the JET program, you will have to pay taxes to both Japan and America. You have to start paying resident tax from your second year in Japan. The first year you will probably have to pay a large sum in taxes to America because you probably won't have lived there over 300 days. You will also have to purchase your own phone and choose a cell carrier, so you need someone who speaks Japanese to help you if you don't have a high level of proficiency.

Advice to Management

Management is friendly, they will check in on you once a month. Very helpful.

2. "Good benefits, questionable administration"

Pros

Monetarily supportive, okay about vactation time, encouraging to new ideas in some instances.

Cons

Very clique-oriented, some top administrators ignored and even supported bullying in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Training about bullying in the workplace needs to be conducted.

3. "Assistant Language Teacher"

I have been working at Interac full-time

Pros

Easy way to get to Japan

Cons

Work hours for the salary isn't compatible

Advice to Management

Increase salary

"A great way to see another part of the world"

I worked at Interac full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lovely opportunity to work with kids in a wonderful country.

Cons

Management can be very nitpicky and are more concerned with maintaining the illusion of well-being with their clients (schools) than you. You are very easily replaceable and not

"Overall good, but there is not much opportunity for upward mobility."

Former Employee - Assistant Language Teacher in Osaka, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Language Teacher in Osaka, VA

I worked at Interac full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a great start for people who are new to Japan and need help getting accustomed to working in Japan.

Cons

There is not much room for growth and upward mobility in the company. The pay also caps off at a certain point for most ALTs and the company refuses to budge on that. Also, there isn’t necessarily any job security because they often lose contracts.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees, especially the ones who have been with you for years, more. Also offer more opportunities for upward mobility and growth within the company.

"Not the best experience"

Former Employee - Assistant Language Teacher
    Former Employee - Assistant Language Teacher

I worked at Interac (Less than a year)

Pros

- This job gets you into Japan and allows you to live in and experience a different culture. So that’s already a plus.

- I loved my schools. I had the most amazing kids and teachers and enjoyed working with them.

- I really liked my town a lot. Even though I felt lonely sometimes, everyone there was very welcoming.

Cons

- My biggest gripe with this company is that they didn’t get me the medical help I needed when I needed it. I was severely sick in Japan almost immediately when I got there, and Interac brushed off my worries. My sickness was on and off for about 4 months before they finally decided I needed to be sent to the hospital because I had missed too many days at work. It turns out I had tonsillitis, and if they hadn’t caught it, I would’ve had to have surgery. They didn’t seem to care about my health until I started not being able to go to work. That is what bugged me the most and was one of the main reasons I left.

- Undue stress on their employees. My BOE didn’t understand that I had missed so many days because of Interac’s neglect to help me get to a hospital and diagnose what was going on with me, so they got upset. Several times, some of the managers and staff would ask to meet me in my town, and then basically tell me to suck it up, because they were going to lose the contract with that town. I had all intentions to finish my contract and I did successfully, but I became sick from the stress and had to hide it because I didn’t want to upset Interac or the BOE.

- Poor communication/not knowing who to communicate information to.

- Staff that didn’t know what they were doing/saying. I had trouble with being made to pay double pension when I first arrived and it took them 1 - 2 months to resolve that. There were also several instances where they told me one thing and the opposite ended up happening.

- The pay was not the best. Livable, but it doesn’t really allow for anything else besides rent, bills, and food.

I would really not recommend this company to anyone.

Advice to Management

Please, please get your employees help when they need it. Treat them like they actually matter. And get better with communication, because it honestly sucks.

"ALT"

I worked at Interac full-time

Pros

- faster interview process than JET

Cons

- disorganized management
    - no consistency in contracts among peers
    - poor communication
    - no growth

"Underpaid, but given support and freedom."

Current Employee - ALT
    Current Employee - ALT

I have been working at Interac (More than a year)

Pros

The company generally lets you handle things on your own, but will step in and help if requested.

Cons

Underpaid, company uses semi-legal loopholes to avoid providing benefits.

Advice to Management

The job is full time, stop using legal loopholes to make it look otherwise and start paying health insurance.

"Good if you want to experience authentic Japanese school culture"

I worked at Interac full-time

Pros

Integrated into Japanese public schools, opportunity to engage in Japanese culture, support with materials

Cons

Salary is low when compared with cost of living, company is disorganized, supervisors are often moved around so employees are unsure who to answer to

Advice to Management

More transparency and offer full-time opportunities! Employees want to do good work but they need the support both financially and emotionally in order to do so!

"Not bad but not something you could have as a career"

I worked at Interac full-time

Pros

- Assistance in finding housing
    - They file your Japanese taxes
    - Branch managers weren't too bad

Cons

- No pay increases
    - Meetings tended to rehash everything and never really felt important
    - Half the given time off was pre-selected by the company, usually placed days off on already given Japanese national holidays
    - Schedules are always just under 40 hours a week so they don't have to pay any benefits to workers

Advice to Management

While I realize that ALTs come and go quite often, I would highly recommend increasing pay for the ones that stick around.