Ipswitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Kevin Bisson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Company benefits and work-life balance are excellent (in 13 reviews)

• The company offers pretty good benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of upper management turnover (in 4 reviews)

• Make a decision: be an active part of a growing company; or, pursue other opportunities for yourself (in 3 reviews)

"Was great at one time but no more"

I worked at Ipswitch full-time

Pros

Good benefits, options for skills development, top-down concern for employees and the local communities.

Cons

Constant pressure to meet arbitrary release dates, constant trimming of head count and increase of workload on remaining employees, upper management are distant and disconnected

Advice to Management

Get the founder out to visit a remote site again and take notes

2. "Low Pay, Great Benefits, Poor Upper Management."

I have been working at Ipswitch full-time

Pros

The people are good, the work is rewarding, and I haven't found another employer with benefits that compare.

Cons

Our pay scale is significantly lower than industry standard for the working-class employee. In my years at Ipswitch, my monetary compensation has never reached the bottom of the pay range (on Glass Door) for my experience/location/position.

Upper management. As part of a VSIP, they essentially paid one of our worst employees to leave the company (along with a lot of our best employees). They then re-hired the least competent employee for more $$ and gave them more responsibilities.

They followed that up recently by letting go a handful of our most competent employees due to 'budget constraints' - and scheduled a useless and way-too-expensive company meeting that requires every employee to travel to Massachusetts in January.

Advice to Management

Hire a better talent acquisition team, then let them hire your replacements.

"Great Team"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Ipswitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, enthusiastic teams in development

Cons

Quality Assurance is not valued at this company

Advice to Management

Take more stock in QA dept

"Pretty good place to work"

Former Employee - SQA Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - SQA Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Ipswitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work , life balance, the salary is fare as compared to the market. Supportive environment, flexible work from home policy

Cons

Benefits are not as good as other companies it's size. Room for growth is not available. The is limited ability to acquire additional skill set

"A good place to be"

I have been working at Ipswitch full-time

Pros

Company cares about employees, significant focus on charitable giving. Strong executive leadership. Products are successful.

Cons

continual process churn related to bringing 25 year old software company up to current best practices

"Great opportunities for growth. Ipswitch loves it's employees and customers."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Ipswitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Ipswitch for almost 3 years, and I have to say that everyone at the company has been a joy to work with. Management is honest and clear about expectations. I trust everyone I work with and that's a rarity in itself. Ipswitch's culture is about it's people and treating employees with utmost respect, and that is reflected by a customer base that is extremely loyal and happy.

I've had the opportunity for growth right out of the gates which has been a huge motivator. I've worked at companies that professional growth meant leaving and Ipswitch is not that, nor does it want to be that. Ipswitch cherishes its employees and does what it can for everyone to be successful.

So far, it's been the best company I've ever worked for and I look forward to years of growth here.

Cons

Not so much a con as it is the fact that Ipswitch is positioning itself for future growth. Ipswitch has gone through a lot of changes in the past few years and tough decisions had to be made. Having started here during an interim period of change, I know that organizational change has not benefited everyone, but I also heard of some of the business practices that were taking place for several years before I showed up, so honestly it's all been for the best for the company and its future, if what I heard was true.

Some products that are not necessarily considered flagship have been neglected a bit but is on everyone's radar now and we're trying to fix that across the board.

Advice to Management

Don't bite off more than you can chew. We're on the right track and patience and hard work will reap the benefits.

"Spirit is really low here and those fake reviews they put on Glassdoor, don't make it better"

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Lexington, MA

I worked at Ipswitch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not much, really, all the pros were in the past

Cons

The company doesn't even pretend to value its employees. Anyone can be fired from one day to another. What matters here is not the work you do, but who you know and what vocabulary you use. If you know the right people, worked with them before and if you publicly approve company strategy, you're ok. But don't even think of disagreeing with a policy or a decision, you'll be fired in no time. Best people have left already, I joined them a few weeks ago.

Advice to Management

I'm afraid its simply too late... This company is stuck in the 90s with its mentality.

"Account Manager"

I have been working at Ipswitch full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing company as far as benefits, relaxed dress code, great teams, great people! PTO is good but can also be a con, vast amounts of it, but no time to take it. Overall its a fantastic company, and I have really enjoyed working here.

Cons

Zero room for advancement if you are not in the main corporate office. Satellite offices sometimes feel very remote and do not have all the same mobility and perks as the main office. PTO although generous is limited to actually having the ability to take it, the execs teams are getting very heavy and starting to have a feel of not enough workers to support the way the company direction is taking us, so people/ teams are being stretched thin, with no room for advancement and exec teams are growing.

Advice to Management

Try and remember that customer service is the reason customers love our products and people. If you get rid of the personal contact between customers and the company, it's not going to bode well.

"Pivoting towards Innovation - Exciting times"

Current Employee - Vice President in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Ipswitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The leadership team is laser-focused on growing the business profitably, while looking for new opportunities on a global basis. Selling software to 42,000 customers in 168 countries is a very big deal.

Cons

The Lexington, MA office does not afford the hallway and water cooler interaction that one would hope for in a growing company.

Advice to Management

Keep your eye on the future!

"Former FT Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

I worked at Ipswitch (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits (health, 401k, etc), community/charity involvement. I had the pleasure of working with a couple awesome managers. Ways to move up within company.

Cons

Too many people at the top- not getting enough input from the people actually doing the work. Didn't feel like my opinion mattered to the direction of the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people other than management- most of them know what they're talking about