Jasper Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jasper CEO Jahangir Mohammed
Jahangir Mohammed

Pros
  • Largely Untapped m2m/IoT market - still in its infancy (in 3 reviews)

• Work in small teams and learn new technologies in many different areas (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero work life balance for some people (specially young engineers ) (in 3 reviews)

• Terrible political culture stall the best performer (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Jasper full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super talented team
    Great feedback loop from management
    Productive work environment

Cons

Coffee needs a major do over.

Advice to Management

Start a better training and learning process so employees have a way to acquire and extend their technical learning.

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Jasper full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch one day a week. Snacks cost a quarter. Free coffee. Nice patio to sit outside on. Located close to Cisco HQ.

Cons

Very strange environment to work in. All of the comments that are Cons are absolutely true. Comments you see with high ratings, are just people filling in to make the company seem like a place you want to work at. I would not recommend this to a friend. No culture. Not much innovation or growth happening.

Advice to Management

Cisco can help out a lot.

"Acquired but nothing has changed"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Jasper full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hot space. Smart people. CTO's in particular are incredibly intelligent, extremely humble and friendly. Consistent business model over the years.

Cons

Political mess of management that has been there too long. No focus. Fire drills created constantly due to poor operation and poor planning, then a lot of patting themselves on the back when they resolve their own self inflicted issues. Whiny, pass the buck management style. Hired a bunch of young folks who think they know it all but are being ignored, so they have chips on their shoulder about it. Makes for a rather flat and discontented culture. Lack of product innovation.

Advice to Management

Realize that if you want to be the leader in an evolving space, you need to evolve, learn and develop quickly. Leadership is also about instilling confidence that you can lead - note: when you look stressed and in constant battle, it wears out the team under you and makes them feel like leadership is wavering or poor. Manage yourselves better. Focus priorities and make people accountable. INTERACT with others. The only VP that actually talks to and smiles at anyone lives on the east coast and is in Finance of all departments. When the Finance person is the most friendly and energetic out of all the exec group, it says a lot about the culture of the exec team. At least she tries and she has been here a long time. The rest have stopped trying a long time ago. The company needs some new energy.

"Some good people, terrible culture"

Former Employee - Channel Manager in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Channel Manager in Frisco, TX

I worked at Jasper full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really smart and cool people working at Jasper. Some of the brightest folks you'll ever be around.

Cons

Political culture leaves non-performers in their roles. Not a fun overall environment - work hard, play hard, without the play.

"not bad"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Great work life balance.
    Slow-pace.
    Work from home is a major plus

Cons

not have any process.
    HR is really really bad I've ever seen.

7. "Growing!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Jasper full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting field in the market with large growth both for the company as we'll as employee careers. Recent acquisition by Cisco levels the benefits gap with some of our competitors. Lack of structure and process can sometimes make it feel like a constant uphill climb getting features built and deployed but those same deficiencies also allow for quite a bit of innovation and experimentation for engineers.

If you can stick around you'll fund that the culture is pretty chill and your coworkers are really great people all with a solid head on their shoulders. Not every day is great and not every project is exciting but on the whole Jasper is a pleasant and enjoyable place to work.

Cons

Benefits package prior to acquisition was lacking in the stock and 401k. Liquid event is occurring so the chances of striking it big in an IPO is no longer there.

Advice to Management

Greater transparency about employee hiring and departures.

8. "Great work culture, lots of opportunity and a real mission"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

I've been at Jasper for almost 4 years and it's been an incredibly fulfilling journey. This is a growing company in a growing IoT industry and there are many opportunities for those wanting to contribute effectively while also growing professionally.

The executive team is really really good and I love the no nonsense culture. We get things done fast and there's no red tape. Communication channels are always open.

If you're a good performer, chances are you'll get pretty good salary hikes / equity from time to time.

Cons

Folks are generally fairly busy.. while we do take the time to celebrate what we do every now and then, we don't really socialize a whole lot on a day to day basis.

9. "Sound company to work for provided you are looking to learn and contribute"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Jasper full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I am a long term Jasper employee and i am proud to be associated with such smart and brilliant team members. Those who come in and learn the product we are selling and bring their technical and product talents with them do very well at this company. Also, the team has worked very hard to maintain positive culture and cohesive energy into the work environment and the goal is to continue with this trend going forward.

Cons

Being a small company brings the expected cons in terms of work pressures and aggressive product goals. This is not any different than other companies of similar size. If someone has come in with the idea they will float through and not contribute to the growth then this perhaps is not the right place for them.

Advice to Management

I do agree with the TUE lunch comment from some of the other comments. Please rotate between different caterers as the current one is getting very stale. And please work on improving the quality of coffee at the office.

"Reminds me of Mayweather vs. Pacquiao: Tons of Hype, Huge Disappointment"

Former Employee - Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Jasper full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Hot IoT market
    - Notable customers in key verticals (automotive, security, robotics, etc.)
    - Open facilities, patio area, plenty of lounge space
    - Catered lunch (once a week), fruits, snacks, breakfast, cheeses, yogurt, etc.
    - Strong partnerships with mobile operators around the world
    - Loads of upside potential

Cons

- Widening chasms between management and staff
    - Culture is not conducive to open and direct conversations
    - Moving goal lines => constant pivoting => poor morale
    - Individual success put before team/company success
    - Silo’ed groups and poor synergy across departmental lines
    - Lack of foresight around technology/program execution

Advice to Management

This is not so much ‘advice’ but a plea to inspire! Jasper takes an inordinate amount of pride in hiring “A Players” and on paper I have confidence that you understand what it takes to succeed specific to your field of discipline. However, what I find to be grossly (and unacceptably) deficient is the aptitude to BUILD those around and below; using “busyness” – explicitly or otherwise – is a poor excuse and should not be a vehicle to deflect said shortcomings. I hold a leadership team to higher standards. This, in my opinion, is the foremost difference between good and great, B Players and A+ Players. There are far too many examples publicly, personally, and within the mile long grapevine of questionable tactics and behaviors that gives me pause. As someone with a vested interest in company success, I find this to be supremely discouraging. I recommend putting less focus on artificially swinging the GlassDoor pendulum and more time on building, motivating, inspiring. It would be a travesty to see this unicorn devolve into a uni-corpse.

"Great if you like being micromanaged"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Jasper full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None. Talk about ipo all the time but who knows if it is seriously possible as projections are constantly moving.

Cons

Zero morale. People have lost motivation. CTO talks down to everyone. The middle managers are afraid of him and won't stand up for their employees. Culture is to keep your mouth shut and do what you're told. it is more like working for a mom and pop business with a penny pinching owner than it is a tech company. HR presence is invisible. As another reviewer wrote ethnic diversity is lacking in hiring. Talk of being pre-IPO is misleading. Number of stock options and exercise price has been like a big company would give for some time now.

Advice to Management

Solicit feedback from employees. The CEO only addresses employees once a quarter and takes a few questions. As someone else has mentioned he is not very visible otherwise. That is a meeting where only the sycophants will ask him a few creampuff questions. It is the polar opposite of the actual sentiment among the rank and file but they have no means of expressing their true feelings.