Kenexa Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 11, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kenexa Chairman and CEO Rudy Karsan Sr.
Rudy Karsan Sr.

Pros
  • I was able to work from home for over 2 years and for that I am grateful but it's not everything (in 14 reviews)

• Good work culture, better appraisals, Values employee's efforts and contributions (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance for field employees (in 12 reviews)

• Bought by IBM and everything changed (in 7 reviews)

1. "Kenexa"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

strong culture and brand. great products

Cons

Non e. It was a great company to work for.

"Do not work for them"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Kenexa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people on my team were nice I enjoyed being with them. That said it's all I liked about the job

Cons

1. They lied about the job I was hired for. I was interviewed and hired as a web developer. I did no web development, I did 100% data analysis. They lied.
    2. Shortly after I was hired I heard someone say that a work week was on average 65 hours long. I went to the HR department and they verified that. You do not work 40 hours you work 65 or more.
    3. A friend of mine there who started work at about the same time had sister who was getting married about 4 months in from when we started the job. My friend requested and WAS Granted the day off for the wedding. When she came back from the wedding she got in trouble because she didn't take her computer with her and work on her sisters wedding day and her day off. I then found out that you were 100% expected to take your computer with you on vacation and work.

When we did our own review of our work and I have the review results.......... we rated 15%. Yes, the lowest of ALL companies that used our reviewing.

Advice to Management

Lord what advice? See the cons above, punishing people work not working during vacations. Expecting people to work over 65 hours a week and lying about what hob you hired for? Advice? I'd quite the job if I were you.

"The Modern Day Slave."

Current Employee - SC TA LM in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - SC TA LM in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Kenexa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you have the chance to be a telecommuter, you have the flexibility to work from home. You have a good package of benefits (PTO/vacation, health and dental are ok, you may be eligible for variable compensation/bonus) that all sound great at first.

Cons

If you're considering joining this team, please do your research. The Kenexa Dept. of IBM is a hit and miss and depending on the RPO account you go for, you'll be in for the worst job of your life (example the UnitedHealth Group account is the worst). You'll be exhausted for working long hours, the workload you will be responsible and held accountable for is for 3 people. You want to take vacation off? Good luck. You need to find backups for you while you're out and expect to work 60 to 70 hours on the next week once you're back to keep up with all. Everyone, including your supervisors are drowning with work, always very busy and nobody has time to stop and think about what they are doing. You can kiss your personal/social life goodbye. People are rude to you and if you can't keep up with the work that is expected of you (which you won't, trust me) then they will make you feel like the worst person in the world.

Advice to Management

You need to stop asking your employees why things are falling apart. You must know that you are overworking everyone. You have recruiters, coordinators, Staffing Consultants (aka Talent Advisor, Liaison Managers) crying for help. Nobody is happy and those that try to speak up are chopped down quickly. If you ever give a damn about your employees (truly caring not just this hypocritical approach you have) then you need to stand up and either say no to the client's illusionary demands or charge extra for what you do. This will allow you to hire more people to do the job required. Having reports asking "what are we doing to close this req" is an example of how busy everyone is that nobody seems to care about what's truly happening. Perhaps if you wouldn't overwork your TAs there wouldn't be a need to explain to the client "what we are doing to close reqs" because guess what? The reqs would be closed faster. I know this comment will go right above management head, but if you're reading this review and you're thinking about applying, please be advised. This place is a revolving door - I wish I knew this before I turn down other offers just because "IBM" sounded amazing. IBM is really a great company, Kenexa? That's a whole different story....

"Infighting, Finger-Pointing, and Favoritism"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Lincoln, NE

Pros

Fast-moving company with some great colleagues. Tries hard to eat its own dog food. Interesting products and processes. Good executive leadership.

Cons

Rampant favoritism and managerial infighting. A year of nearly flawless performance and improved metrics--when the company itself his a much higher level of goals and revenues--I saw my bonus cut by 80% when it should have doubled or tripled, mostly as a result of a management coup that had nothing to do with me.

Advice to Management

Still waiting for my 2011 bonus.

"Was an OK Company to Work at in 2013"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Weimar, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Weimar, CA

I worked at Kenexa (More than a year)

Pros

-Decent pay
    -Flexible work allowance
    -Some co-workers were awesome

Cons

-Horrible HR department
    -Inept "managers" ran the day to day business
    -The sales people always sold promises that were impossible to deliver on

Advice to Management

Promote those from within that actually are talented, not the people who are good at kissing your rear end.

7. "Great place before IBM"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Kenexa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super fun, great, talent people. Best place to work before IBM.

Cons

Once IBM bought Kenexa it all went downhill. You have to start each conference call telling the callers who your "upline" is.......titles are everything here.

Advice to Management

Keep the Kenexa culture alive!

"The good, bad, and ugly"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Frisco, TX

I worked at Kenexa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a good place to start. You learn a lot and if you're smart and produce results, you'll be recognized...in the form of accolades. You can work from home, too. You can move up and get raises, too.

Cons

Depending on the account you're working on, the management has a shoulder-shrugging approach and likes to use the "it is what it is" phrase. There are too many hand offs and not enough communication. The teams tend to be full of a mix of competent, high-performers and completely incompetent colleagues. They are very 'quick to hire, slow to fire' which is very disruptive and counterproductive to those who are actually coming to work and doing their jobs everyday. Working from home is a pro in most cases, but many "team members" take advantage of this and can't be found for hours at a time with poor excuses for not delivering.They move those people to other teams instead of addressing the problem. Again, Kenexa is great place to start and it wasn't always like this. I really used to love working here, but the lack of support and the heavy workload made me dream of the end of the day (usually 10-12 hour days). Despite my personal experience, I would still recommend this company as a place to get your foot in the door in the recruiting world. The experience was invaluable to me and opened the door to a lot of other opportunities.

Advice to Management

Lose the "It is what it is." attitude. This should never be said by a manager when you're supporting a client. Make sure your new members are properly trained and have the support they need.

"Biggest Bunch of Unprofessionals I've Ever Worked With"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Frisco, TX

Pros

Flexibility, Good clients, Good benefits

Cons

This place is a joke and the biggest bunch of unprofessionals I have ever worked with. This company has the worst management ever. It is a popularity contest at it's best. If you act like you are in high school and like to play the cool kids club, you will fit right in at this place. Adults act like children. Management only promotes who they like or their friends and their friends kids. You are not promoted nor treated properly for your skills, it is all who you know and have on your side. Management is beyond crooked, acting like a bunch of teenagers in high school, singling out perfectly good employees that "don't fit in". They will find a way to manage you out, guaranteed. Whether it be to another account or fire you altogether. Now if you know people and are their friends, you can coast by for years doing absolutely nothing and still get paid for it as well as promoted. If you are in "the club". Crooked, crooked management creating false jobs and tasks to keep their friends on. If you are looking for legitimate growth, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Quit hiring your friends and letting their friends hire their friends. Start hiring truly qualified people and quit letting crooked management let perfectly good employees go to keep their friends employed. Weed out the ones that really don't do anything instead of promoting them, give credit to the employees the REALLY work.

10. "Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Staffing Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staffing Consultant in San Jose, CA

Pros

IBM's Leadership is very transparent. You know the companies focus, where they are driving, and what role you will play. The access you have to your senior leadership is impressive. The mentor program is a key indicator of employee value. I love that I know where my career is going at Kenexa and can work with my manager to develop a clear path. Compensation is good and there is plenty of advancement opportunities.

Cons

...I have been able to talk with Watson yet. :) There are no Cons.

"RPO"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Frisco, TX

I worked at Kenexa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Long-term project management
    Wants to be the best in the RPO Industry

Cons

No work/life balance for field employees
    Compensation is below market
    Management needs to show employees that they are valued, seems to be more of a Big I and little you kind of atmosphere
    Integrity

Advice to Management

Ensure that all employees receive fair increases and promotional opportunities when available