Lab49 Reviews

Updated May 29, 2020

3.1
Lab49 CEO Luke Flemmer
Luke Flemmer
Pros
  • "Smart people who are generally good teammates, with the exception of some senior management(in 12 reviews)

• "Good work-life balance with WFH days, relaxed hours, team lunches and events and good trust between staff and management(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management team mostly work from home which leads to a lack of direction and an empty office(in 15 reviews)

• "Lab is a consultancy and suffers from the usual(in 6 reviews)

"Exciting Times"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Lab49 full-time

Pros

Its current small base means real opportunities for growth with inspirational new team being formed

Cons

In short term theres a somewhat toxic atmosphere where boorish old guard behave more and more badly as new boss brings in his own people

Lab492019-12-20
  2. "Managers and management need to step it up"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Lab49 full-time

Pros

Smart, competent, fun people (for the most part) Interesting projects and technologies Flattish hierarchy / more of a meritocracy Nice offices, decent snacks

Cons

Lack of transparency which is exacerbated during coronavirus. To date, we have received a total of 0 communications from leadership regarding the crisis (let alone on performance reviews and comp expectations). Extremely disappointing especially when we see other companies handling these times with grace and compassion. As another reviewer mentioned, fixed-price contract model is bad: "hero" mentality where certain individuals take on too much (long hours and weekends), boots on the ground end up absorbing all the non-commercial pain. Very few are actually qualified to be managers. Others can be inaccessible and/or outright mean. Lots of turnaround and unexplained layoffs. Very little is done to try to unify people and foster sense of culture.

Lab492020-05-28

"Consider alternatives"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Lab49 full-time for more than a year

Pros

There do seem to be some very smart people here

Cons

You know how to really judge a company by how they respond to a crisis, whilst the major tech and financial corporates extended leave and promised no redundancies during coronavirus. Lab49 laid people off, postponed bonuses and cancelled online training subscriptions despite no material impact to their business.

Lab492020-05-13

"Toxic Culture"

2.0
    Former Employee - Product Owner in New York, NY

I worked at Lab49 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people who are generally good teammates, with the exception of some senior management.

Cons

Fixed price delivery model means there is consistent pressure both on the teams but also on the client to ensure delivery risk is mitigated to preserve the firm's margin. Scrum is used, but its values are not followed and it's used as a cudgel coerce the teams and the client. A "just-in-time" staffing model also means teams have little preparation prior to engaging on a project and precious little organic ramp-up time.

Lab492020-02-27

"Make sure you know what you're getting into."

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Lab49 full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I worked with while at Lab are among the best engineers I've worked with. Not only did I learn a great deal from them, the relationships I built while at Lab continue to be important to me. Lab projects were also generally interesting and short enough that if they weren't, it didn't matter that much.

Cons

Lab is a consultancy and suffers from the usual consultancy issues. There's a lot of turnover in the workforce, and projects can be highly variable. The particular projects you land on can have a lot more impact on your experience than anything else. The ION acquisition was also highly disruptive to the historical Lab49 culture. Do your research, and read the news stories you can find on ION group acquisitions and the way they've been perceived by ION's employees, customers, and lenders.

Lab492020-02-10

"Great place to work on various projects in different environments and learn a ton"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Lab49 full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will be around some of the smartest people you've ever worked with. The expertise of every team here is unparalleled. While every project is different, you will be generally implementing the best and most current tech using best practices. Due to the nature of consulting, you will get a feel for different environments and will have the experience of various projects under your belt. You won't get siloed into supporting a small part of a system for the rest of your career. You'll also have many opportunities to go across the stack and learn things you are unfamiliar with. This was definitely the job to take my career to the next level. I learned way more here in a shorter period of time than at any previous role.

Cons

The work is mainly in the finance/fintech space, so that may be a turn-off to some people (however there is obviously tons of room for innovation in that space). Issues typical to consulting: - constantly-shifting teams - having to work around some environments with old or proprietary tech (sometimes this is unavoidable) - difficult to have a cohesive engineering culture when most people are frequently deployed to client sites (this is changing, though, as there are more events and the engineering team is having regular meetings, tech talks, etc)

Lab492019-11-10

"Great people to work with"

Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Lab49 full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are the best reason to be at Lab49. Everyone in engineering is so passionate about what they do. Everyone is always open to collaboration and eager to learn. Lab49 is where I've learned the most the fastest. I've enjoyed the Lab49 quality standard that (most of the time) is upheld.

Cons

Communication from senior management is not a good as it could be. The town halls are great, but more could be done. It's a shame the performance review and bonus process take so long into the year, but I believe it's the fault of the parent company, not Lab49.

Lab492019-11-06

"Stay away or get ready for the flood"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Lab49 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent resume builder / breadth of experience in different topics. Some good people left. Benefits aren't bad. Seem to have some good people in London and DC. Everything seems easy after working at Lab49.

Cons

Bonuses scheduled to be paid in April, actually paid between June - Nov even though you read online that the global CEO pays himself 9 digits a year as he buys more and more companies. Company sells itself as doing attractive front office projects with great design but banks don't actually outsource that kind of work. Hero culture where you are asked to work weekends to deliver on some unrealistic deadline instead of good management and setting projects up for success. NY culture is toxic, especially heads of strategy and project management who are verbally insulting. They seem to get it that way from the CEO and then quickly pass the buck. No support system for training / learning and development even though you get graded on it at eval time. CEO actively avoids having to interact with the proletariat staff. Low-ball all the offers and you have to fight annually for market pay directly with the lab CEO. It seems like the positive Glassdoor reviews are written by a select group of new people that management is trying to isolate and treat well and encourage to write glassdoor reviews for the sole purpose of saving their rating.

Lab492019-12-03
  9. "A great company, team and portfolio of clients"

Current Employee - Data Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Lab49 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lab49 went through a transition and has been expanding it's team and projects exponentially Very smart people and a dedicated management team Clients are top tier 1 investment banks, asset management firms, retail banks and other financial services institutions Great career growth opportunities and a lot of autonomy Plenty of learning opportunities and very interesting and challenging initiatives

Cons

The snack could be healthier

Lab492019-09-22

"To be avoided"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Lab49 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of benchtime and dead projects so plenty of free time.

Cons

- Bullying culture - asked to work weekends to meet unattainable deadline on failing project. - Backwards culture - tech lead: "why do you guys always go on about refactoring?"

Lab492019-10-07