Lab49 Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Lab49 CEO Luke Flemmer
Luke Flemmer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Plenty of work life balance and project flexibility" (in 6 reviews)

• "Extremely smart people, lots of innovation" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "No company is perfect, upper management can be a little clandestine but it rarely affects Sydney" (in 4 reviews)

• "everyone who's ever been their client no longer wants to do anything with them" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great chance to work with smart people on interesting projects."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Lab49 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the main reason I stay here. Bright, engaged and passionate about their work. I think it's a rare chance to work with people who are experts in their field. Lots of interesting and challenging projects to work on. .

Cons

Colleagues are at different projects around the city and can't see them as often as you would like - so you need to be intentional about connecting when you are both in the home office.

Advice to Management

Keep improving communication about company goals and direction so we can all be on board. Town hall meetings are usually very helpful and inspiring.

"No good"

I worked at Lab49 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Met some good people (but they've all abandoned ship)

Cons

Consulting grinds you down. No training, no learning. Too many late nights and weekends. Paltry bonus, if one was even granted. Dead end.

Advice to Management

Retire.

"Great place to grow skills"

I worked at Lab49 full-time

Pros

Extremely smart people, lots of innovation

Cons

Work may be very exhausting

"Smart, Driven Engineers who love learning"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Lab49 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part of working at Lab49 was working side by side with bright, talented engineers who actively wanted to do a good job. I learned so much there from my coworkers and they provided invaluable career experience. While the hiring process is very rigorous and challenging, the software engineers they hire truly are top notch.

Cons

The clients in the DC office were using antiquated technology and the work was not always exciting. Due to the lack of diverse clients in the DC office at the time, work was not

"LOOK ELSEWHERE, This Place is Toxic: Bizarre Sexism and a Poorly Managed Business"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Lab49 (Less than a year)

Pros

The people working the reception were very friendly.

Cons

Sexism runs rampant in the office. People would make awful, offensive jokes assuming I would be cool with it since I'm also a man. Deplorable.

Sample quote: "You'll notice we don't have any female engineers. Women are not up to our standards."~Said to me at lunch on my first day by another male employee

Was fired after 9 days without cause other than a vague "performance" response.

Advice to Management

The sexism allowed to foster in this workplace is unacceptable, not to mention the way the way they fired me without cause.

"Once great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lab49 full-time

Pros

- Decent work-life balance
    - Good compensation

Cons

- No longer tech leaders/innovators
    - Working with clients that dictate antiquated tech stacks, ancient hardware and terrible architectural decisions
    - Projects ranging from same exact as last one to same exact as 10 years ago
    - Same basic project across engagements means little opportunity to learn new technology on the job
    - Staff aug-like environment, as clients demand on-site presence, leads to non existent company culture

"Great Career Opportunity"

I have been working at Lab49 full-time

Pros

I am surrounded by high functioning, team-oriented, and intelligent co-workers. The unity of the company is self-evident in the way we approach work. From sales to development there are strong communication lines that allow us to understand our strengths and weaknesses from a delivery stand-point. This allow us to continually analyze and improve on our processes as a company.
    Managers are understanding and listen to those they are managing. Mistakes are considered learning opportunities rather than an opportunity to assign blame.
    I enjoy the fact that I have flexible hours and all that matters is that the work is done responsibly; not how many hours are worked. We also have a kitchen filled with healthy snacks and beers. ION is also heavily involved and is always looking for ways to create opportunities outside of work to create a more unified environment.
    In all, the future is bright and you would be wise to look into Lab49 as a future employer.

Cons

Not all is perfect. Lab49 has some deficiencies. Compared to top consulting firms vacation days are less than those, but it is made up with the work/life balance. Clients can at times be difficult to work with and when business is going really well like it is now we find ourselves stretched more than the usual.

Advice to Management

We need to hire faster.

"Worklife balance has no meaning"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Lab49 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opporrunity to work with talented team members.

Cons

Lab49 either lost projects or completed the contracts, and is deparate for new work. Giving unrealistic expectaions to customers and trying to meet them in short time. That is driving the employees to work long stressful hours without any support from management and clients. No one has time to work together, team work is a big joke in Lab49.

Advice to Management

Treat employees respectfully, remember that they have life outside of work.

"You can take them by the short hairs."

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Lab49 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This used to be the place where the smartest people would get hired, and their talents would see the project through to positive results.

The parent company drove so many people off, that they are about as starved for any type of talent. Why is this a "pro"? You have them by the shorties at the negotiation phase, if you can show that you're relatively talented, and can deliver.

After you're fed-up and quit, there are some people out there who still think Lab49 is a standard of quality.

Cons

It is now a place where mediocre talent is hired for slightly above-market pay, with a vague promise of a possible bonus (maybe), and then you are worked 60-80 hours with little to no thanks.

The sales team looks at the technology team as a blunt tool that can be engaged at a moment's notice, with little feedback (let alone appreciation) with regard to their efforts.

Management sees technology as fungible assets, because the projects in technology are mostly not that interesting anymore; single page applications that have little-to-no relationship with actual finance, building powerpoint presentations that are supposed to be compliance reports (yes, really), etc.

You get to work with an ever rotating cast of off-shore "talent".

Advice to Management

Go find another job, Ion probably doesn't care about your either.

"Talented People with too much red tape"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Lab49 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is very smart, driven, and collaborative. We chose projects that were challenging and transformative for our clients.

Cons

Contracts seemed to be rushed and there was usually a disconnect between what was achievable and the "golden" idea sold to our clients. There needed to be more cohesiveness between sales and the actual teams that would be in charge of delivery.

Advice to Management

Be open to suggestions and criticism.