Lab49 Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 24, 2017

3.4

Internal Product Owner Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

The process included 2 phone interviews and 3 on-site interviews. One of the on-site interviews included a workshop where I was presented with a theoretical project and I was expected to demonstrate my approach to product management and execution. The interviewers were a mix of peers and senior people within the organization.

User Experience Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Friendly and professional, all the interviewers knew UX very well, smart people asking smart questions. Everyone was warm and welcoming. The entire process took over 2 months but HR kept in constant contact to inform me of how things were progressing. I had a portfolio presentation, a white boarding exercise, followed by a visual design exercise and final phone interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you interact with a client if they talked to you in some financial jargon you don't understand?   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I went through numerous interviews in different companies, this one was one of the comfortable / friendly ones.

I was given two coding tasks in the first couple of hours, then it's mostly talking. Coding problems didn't go too deep into the computer science theory, but they seemed to be focused on how much experience I had behind. Most questions were about producing quality software, fixing or improving existing code base. Concurrency and coding style questions dominated. They ask specific questions that one can answer only having worked with the technology (Java in my case) for reasonable time. Closer to the end of the process you get to speak with very senior people.

Overall good experience, except they keep you there the whole day with no food. This might be part of the test though.

Interview Questions

• A bank has a system that processed orders sequentially, how can we speed it up blah blah blah   Answer Question

Senior User Experience Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

I felt that the process was well considered through the number of initial calls through meeting a number of people that focused on a different area of UX. Early on were the initial screening calls to understand where my focus and interest was. That carried on to walking through a number of projects. The questions about my work were well considered and appreciated the depth of them. From there I met a number of team members that each were curious to hear how I would approach certain situations. Continuing the process, there was a whiteboard exercise that was challenging but interesting none the less. As I passed those steps the final people I met a couple more people one on one.

Overall I appreciated their thoroughness in the process, time and questions. It made me feel that they were focused on a certain type of candidate and not just anyone that sent in a resume. I also felt they made a huge effort to make me comfortable during the process.

Interview Questions

• Was there anything you would redesign from this particular project now?   Answer Question

Senior Agile Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

It was a pretty thorough process. initial phone screen, 2 phone interviews, then 4 in person interviews. Had 2 in one day, then another a week later, and finished up with an HR interview the following day. A week after that they asked me for references, and I got an offer a few days later. Total process took about 4 weeks.

The phone interviews were basically trying to get an idea of what you know in terms of management and agile expertise, as well as financial services industry experience and knowledge. The first in person interview was with 2 Principal Agile Managers, and it was in some ways more of a discussion. Talked about agile understanding and philosophical approaches. Went through a scenario/case at a theoretical client and how I'd go about doing certain things. And depending on how I'd answer, different questions/discussion points would be brought up. If you are an experienced manager and know agile principles well (you don't have to be a coach level expert), this interview should not be too difficult. They don't try to trick you or stump you. It's not easy, it's just solid.

They look for communication skills, how you'd handle yourself in front of a client, how you'd manage risks and difficult situations... you know, typical management skills. You can even disagree on a philosophical concept. So don't worry if that happens. They also ask more financial knowledge. You should have some, but don't need to be an expert. if you don't have industry experience but know a good bit about capital markets, and have an interest in finance, you should be good. If you don't know anything about the stock market, bonds, mortgages etc, then this would be a tough spot for you.

After that initial in person interview, i got the impression that the next 2 were more of trying to get a feel for who you are and if you'd fit in with the culture. They were more relaxed and conversational. The final one was with HR, which I think is actually a good way to do it, because they ask you about the soft skills a manager needs - how you handle conflicts, or a poor performer, managing clients etc.

Interview Questions

• Go over how you'd sell a client on Agile, and the go through steps of starting an agile project.   Answer Question
    • Financial services knowledge questions like go through the life cycle of a mortgage.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer In Java Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (Washington, DC).

Interview

Two Phone screens: Truly speaking I did not prepare for these interviews. They asked basic Java questions. As a Java developer, if you know your stuff, these should be very easy. Funnily enough a lot of applicants cannot tell difference between static and volatile coherently.

Three 1:1 interviews: I brushed through some JVM and memory management in Java 6 details before the interview and that was enough. If you have coded for a few years sincerely, you should be able to answer any and all of the questions. Most of the interview was more like a discussion.

A lot of applicants do not make it through phone screen or 1:1 may be because they do not have hands-on experience.

Interview Questions

• They ask you to design a system to solve a specific problem   1 Answer

Front-End Web Developer Interview Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Lab49 (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by an in-house recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Lab49 (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

I was contacted by internal recruiter and had an initial multiple-choice interview with her. Not hard questions, but would weed out people that don't actually know web development. Then I had an online/phone interview with a developer.

This was conducted through CoderPad which worked well. He had an initial outline of a program and had me fill in a missing part. He explained CoderPad, the problem, and what he wanted. As I worked on it I did do a few things wrong, ran the code, saw the problems, and corrected them. He kept me talking as I was debugging. He then expanded requirements and I changed the program to suit. Overall not too hard, but I considered it a good phone screen (my previous employer started using CoderPad after I told them about this interview, it's a good tool). I liked that they had a well defined program with tests already done that I could run as much as I needed. It felt more like collaborative development then an interview.

I interviewed in DC. This office is only a few years old, so most employees have been there 1-2 years or less.

In person I interviewed for about four hours with five people--mostly one an one but with one section there were two people (both of which were more junior). The first two parts were technical and both again used CoderPad in person. The first had some sample code to start and asked me to implement an algorithm in JavaScript. It happened to be one I didn't know so he had to explain it to me. Once he did that it was fine. Again I had one problem while developing it and quickly debugged. When I was done he looked at it and said it was not like any solution he'd seen before and how does it work without "setTimeout"? I walked him through it in detail to explain my solution and I also asked how other people do it, which he explained. Again it felt more like a pair-programming session than an interview and I definitely felt like I'd enjoy working with the interviewer.

Second interview was more a technical q&a, went through resume a little, also had a short CoderPad session, and asked a bunch of specific questions I don't remember right now.

Third interview was with prospective boss, more typical management type interview (although he's not really a manager, more of a lead).

Finally I talked to HR and she mostly just explained things about the company and office and we talked about some logistics and timing.

One thing that threw me a bit was when I asked questions the company is very secretive about many aspects of their business. I had hoped to know more about exactly what type of work they do or who clients are, but in the end I felt satisfied that the people I interviewed with all seemed very good and I'd be happy working with them.

I had an offer the next day. HR sent an e-mail answering some more questions that I didn't get answers to in-person and I accepted the offer the same day.

Interview Questions

• Implement an algorithm in JavaScript.   Answer Question
    • Explain some code with edge conditions in JavaScript behavior regarding inheritance, object methods, detached functions, callbacks, closures.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was very clear with what I needed during the in-person interview with HR and the offer matched. I didn't negotiate once the offer was made (it was a good competitive offer).

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

One phone screen and one in person interview. Fast process! I felt very welcome with everyone I spoke to, which made me do well on the interviews. They asked typical interview questions but also wanted to get to know what type of person I am. I knew if I had the job within a week.

Senior Frontend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview was in-depth and fairly impressive. It started with a phone interview in which I was asked general questions about my experience, and then the recruiter asked me a series of multiple choice questions which spanned front-end engineering and general software engineering. In all honesty, I was a bit put off by this part of the process, as I always find technical questions to be opportunities for discussion, and having these questions directed from someone who isn't knowledgeable about them can be frustrating. Regardless, I passed this phase and went on to a phone interview in which I was asked a series of algorithmic questions by a current engineer at Lab49. After passing this portion, I moved to the on-site interview which was a series of 5 interviews including white-board interviews, JS coding problems on a laptop (in a very well setup test environment), and solution design questions.

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

1st. initial phone interview -30 min
    2nd. second phone intervirew- 45 min
    3rd. Skype interview with office in DC- 1 hour
    4th. In person interview met with 5 differnt people- 4 hours

Crazy process for such a junior position. I had to take a 1/2 days at work for the interview to just waste my time. I met with an employee who didnt even know the position I was applying for and couldnt even answer any of my questions.