Lab49 Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

Sort:

Agile Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY) in July 2013.

Interview

Was initially contacted by an internal recruiter (not a head hunter) 10-15min screening to see if I was currently looking for a new job, if my background was generally a good fit, what my salary requirements were etc. This was followed by 2 phone interviews. The first one was fairly high level "tell me about some of the projects you're working on now" "how much experience do you have with Fixed income", etc. The 2nd phone interview was a bit more difficult. this was much more detailed in regard to what are the different charts or tools used to measure success\risk\budget on projects. After the 2 phone interviews they had me come in for a 4hr face to face interview. This interview was very interesting. They started out by telling me that they only hire 10% of the people who make it to this point. They also tell me that project managers rarely do very well with the exercise they were about to ask me to do. They gave me a list of different types of projects, and asked me to create a project, identify all the functional components, stakeholders, everything. Then detail how I would plan it, how I would deliver it, how I would mitigate risk, what my product backlog would look like, how I would manage expectations, etc etc. This was about a 2-3hr process. Though this was intense, it was really a GREAT way for them to see how I actually manage projects and for me to show my style, creativity, etc. After this process I spoke with the regional HR manager about the typical things like Comp, benefits, travel, etc. As a final measure, I was asked to come back in for a 4th round and meet with the COO and the head of North America Delivery as a 2 on 1 interview. This interview was clearly designed to apply stress and pressure to see how I would react when put in an uncomfortable position. Throughout the whole process it was constantly reiterated that Lab49's project managers would be facing off against very senior members of hedge funds and investment banks, and that being able to deal well with stress and pressure was key to this role.

I think it is important to note, that through this entire gauntlet of an interview process, everyone was very encouraging. It was clear that no one, at any time, was TRYING to trip me up. they WANTED me to do well, and they knew that their process was stressful. As soon as I realized this it helped tremendously. So if I didn't know the exact answer to a question, I would just walk them through how I might " measure risk" or " set the length of a sprint" even though there probably was a textbook correct\incorrect answer. They seemed happy with this approach.

Interview Questions

• "name the 3 types matrices used to manage risk in a project using information taken from PMBOK (Project Management Book of Knowledge)

"If you have 5 projects running concurrently, describe a single matrix that would easily show how each of those projects were doing"   3 Answers

Negotiation

they told me up front, didn't really matter too much what I was making or what I was looking to make, they measured my experience, my background, and how well I did with the interviews and my comp would be in line with what others in the role they offered. When given the offer, I did say I had another offer on the table for the exact same amount, and they upped my base by 5K without me even asking for it. Truthfully, that extra $5K didn't matter from a monetary prospective, but was a major plus for me from an integrity prospective. Made me feel like my offer wasn't just the product of a cold calculation dropped into an excel sheet. Which is how I have felt at other places before.

Computer Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

They went out of their way to be accommodating to my very non-standard background. I worked for five years, then took off to be a stay-at-home dad for my two boys, from the birth of our first, until our second entered kindergarten. I spent the last three of those years ramping back up to the latest technologies. I never felt that I had to defend my lack of current experience. The interview was focused exclusively on my skills and social fit.

In fact, the spouse one of my earlier interviewers was in a similar situation (trying to re-enter their own field after taking care of their children), and they gave me very specific advice, both technical and non-technical, to assist me through the rest of the process. It felt like I was seen as a "diamond in the rough" and it helped me polish my act. I'm really grateful to that person.

As far as the specific process, I was contacted by email through Stack Overflow Careers, had a brief phone interview with that person (in-house recruiter), then an hour long phone interview with a senior manager-developer. Following that was another hour-plus phone interview, this time with a senior developer asking very specific programming questions. They allowed me a couple of weeks to soak in all the advice as I mentioned above, between the steps.

Then I was invited to a different city for an extended multi-interview, in-person interview. It was supposed to be 3-4 hours, but ended up being six, which was awesome, because (a) I got to geek out for six hours, (b) the view from the interview room was extraordinary and it helped me relax, and (c) I got a kid-free day.

My first interview was an hour long coding test, with a senior developer watching me the whole time (be sure to verbalize your thinking!). Second interview was with a manager-programmer, asking me very difficult questions, I think with the goal of seeing how I react to very difficult questions. The third interview was with a high-level programmer manager, just talking technology and programming in general. My final interview was with my HR host.

It was long and intense, but enjoyable throughout. Everyone was extremely pleasant, and extremely smart.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY) in April 2008.

Interview

The process is extremely tough.

1. A testing the waters interview, where someone will fire away really tough CS and <Your Language choice> questions.

2. Round 2 is a little high level, but still going through tough tech questions.

3. If you are from out of state, then there is a web cam interview. They are just making sure here, that you are worth their time and money

4. If you made it this far, there is a 10% chance that you will be hired, yes, 10%, They tech you out, check your personality throw design questions at you. Even if you don't get the offer, you have definitely learnt something about your trade here.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I actually got an offer, right at the end of the interview. I asked for 10% more than I was expecting, waiting for a counter offer, but they didn't even blink, and added a bonus on top of that.
    I was from out of state, and they paid for my relocation, gave me a nice pad in new york city for a month. Overall I didn't have to negotiate at all.

Java Developer Interview

Interview

Terrible. Idiot apparently didnt realize that Java developer != Java Jepordy....oh...and the next time you try and trip someone on concurrency....you might want to actually know something about concurrency.

Interview Questions

• Why are you asking questions about how exactly the jvm handles memory management? Why was this important? Was this a Java dev interview or an interview for a C/C++ developer?   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 in February 2014.

Interview

The company found my profile in LinkedIn, the vacancy looked interesting so we decided to start the interviewing process. The process itself consist of several parts: at least two technical phone interviews, one Skype interview with a Senior Stuff Member.

Technical interviews were quite professional: the first one was about OOP, Java Basics(collections, structures), the second one was about Threads, non-blocking algorithms, Design Patterns and how to apply them, we also designed a hierarchy of objects for a given business domain.

Everything was really promising and enjoyable by me as a Java Developer because until the third interview I hadn't got any weird, odd and unsuitable questions as we do in many cases having interviews around.

So the third interview was with a Senior Stuff Member, who I didn't get the position of, but after that interview I received a very short answer that they are not going to proceed with my candidacy without any explanation why. All questions were about me become a Java Developer, have I ever heard about other Java-based languages and if I used them, about projects I participated in and which problem I faced there. So it was just a chat between two people.

I feel frustrating and don't really satisfied with the result because they didn't clarify the purpose of decline.

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 in April 2015.

Interview

It is very much professional. Prompt communication.
    Overall well taken care. Waiting for final process to be completed. One telephovery interview. I had coding challenge. It was really challenging I really enjoyed it. I have to really appreciate interviewer thought process.

Interview Questions

• Core java question based on scenario   1 Answer

Javascript Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

A couple of phone screens, then a brutal 4-5 hour in-person interview in their NY office. It was the toughest interview process of any company I've interviewed with.

You essentially do several 1 hour blocks of pair coding with current developers, mixed in with some personality questions. Apparently a lot of people don't even make it through the full day of interviewing. They really are looking for the best of the best.

Interview Questions

• Write your own unit testing "spy" function.   1 Answer
    • Calculate the weighted average of a bunch of produce.   1 Answer
    • Sketch (on paper) the UX and basic functionality of a billing system for power consumption in large office building.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 in February 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter from this company who was impressed by my on-line profile. The recruiter strongly praised the company. I decided to give a try. The interview process started with two technical interviews by phone. Almost all questions were about Java Core and Multithreading. They were quite average. I didn't have any problems with them. Then I was given a programming task. That task was intended to check Multithreading skills, which I successfully performed. So far so good. The next interview, which turned out final, was with an inadequate person, who in around 15 mins interrupted me with phrase if I had any questions for them and stopped the interview. After that I got an excuse email that I didn't pass the last interview. So, I very much doubt about the competence of that person who made the decision obviously without regard to my huge technical background and previously successful interviews. In conclusion I want to mention that all this embarrassment took 1 month.

Interview Questions

• All technical questions were quite average (in my opinion).   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 in December 2013.

Interview

Great HR team. They were probably the smoothest, quickest HR to deal with in my entire life. That part they have nailed down. Interview process included a couple of phone interviews, on-site interviews. Questions included were general .net framework questions, some threading questions, a little bit on data structures. On-site interview included some questions on WPF, they made take a computer test where I had to tweak a little bit of the code there, which I thought was awesome. Then some questions on WPF in general, which should be easily answerable for some one with a few years experience in that domain. Seemed good bunch of people. The office looked very sharp and slick with a great view.

I think overall if you want to stick to UI work, or web design, HTML 5 this seems a great place. They seem to have bunch of primarily web design folks in their office. But if you interested in more intense server side stuff, or more in computer science, this probably isn't the place for you.

Interview Questions

Found better offer elsewhere.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49.

Interview

Contacted via Linked in. Short phone interview, than 2.5 hour in person interview with 2 managers, then 40 minutes with a VP.

Interview Questions

• Detailed, in depth end-to-end software design questions. Designing the front/back end for a mobile application.   Answer Question

Got a better offer elsewhere