Linden Lab Reviews
79% would recommend to a friend
(118 total reviews)
84% approve of CEO
The latest conversations about Tech
Got a burning question about Linden Lab? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Linden Lab employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Fascinating work, amazing people" (in 22 reviews)
- "It is a great culture and executive team" (in 6 reviews)
- "key, management on our team was great, always willing to help and support whenever needed." (in 5 reviews)
- "The benefits are great (compared to my previous gig" (in 5 reviews)
- "Everyone is always willing to work together to achieve our ultimate goal of generating new users and recapturing the attention of our previous ones." (in 3 reviews)
- "Disconnected management combined with a general tendency of the employees to spend more energy moaning about problems than doing anything to fix them" (in 8 reviews)
- "Went through massive layoffs early on; then, too many management/manager changes and reorg." (in 5 reviews)
- "New middle and senior management constantly come and go without listening to longtime employees who understand the product and have seen the same mistakes made over and over again" (in 5 reviews)
- "Second Life could have innovated and stayed relevant but the lack of leadership in 2011 has buried the company." (in 3 reviews)
Ratings by Veteran Status
This rating reflects the overall rating of Linden Lab and is not affected by filters.
Found 118 of over 125 reviews
Updated Sep 20, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 1.0Jan 11, 2023Software EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 10 yearsSan Francisco, CA
This company is so averse to constructive feedback and improvement you can do a bad job for years and get amazing performance reviews. You don't have to worry about building code that works under load or is secure. As long as you drink the cool aid and praise everyone for their "amazing" work.
HUGE backlogs of bugs and tech debt that will never be fixed. Out of touch management who know nothing about the platform. Product roadmaps change on the drop of a hat from upper level management. Constant outages and fire drills due to years of neglected infrastructure and applications. Association with toxic pornography / adult content that comprises most of the Second Life service.5
- 2.0Oct 13, 2022Marketing SpecialistFormer Employee, more than 3 years
The pay is pretty decent, benefits are good and they give annual raises
I filed a sexual harassment complaint, complete with photographic evidence of bruises. They found that no company policy had been violated. So I quit. Linden Lab pays a lot of lip service to being socially progressive, but responses like this are part of why women are so reluctant to come forward. Absolutely shameful.7
- 4.0Jan 8, 2023Customer Accounts SpecialistCurrent Employee, more than 8 yearsSan Francisco, CA
Work remotely, great benefits, great people, decent pay, many hiring states.
Not enough opportunities for advancement2
- 3.0Dec 9, 2022Technical Project ManagerFormer EmployeeRemote
the people are awesome great benefits good collaboration
Management seems unsure of what they want and change direction frequently prioritization seems arbitrary
- 1.0Dec 21, 2021Computer ProgrammerFormer EmployeeSan Francisco, CA
Ebbe Altberg as visionary, board members only cared about $$
Laid off with little to no warning, when company sold but other people in office knew about it before I and others did Little to no organization, division of authority makes you not even know what you will be working on the next day Division in the ranks, employees don't want to help each other Social politics governing decisions, favouritism and abusive treatment of employees who 'don't fit in' Underpaid overworked6
- 5.0Nov 30, 2021Linux Systems AdministratorCurrent EmployeeAtlanta, GA
Remote work. Opportunity to learn from the greats Good and dependable co-workers You get shares of the company
Benefits are just Ok not the best
- 5.0Jul 27, 2021Anonymous EmployeeFormer EmployeeMilford, NH
Second Life is very important to its users, so they are passionate about it. If you can hear even criticism (not everything is criticism - they also send praise and appreciation) as being reflective of that importance, you’ll get lots of evidence that what you do matters. Many challenges. The company genuinely cares about all of the stakeholders, including employees. I’ve never worked anywhere where people laugh as often in the normal course of every day.
Legacy software that presents many challenges in part because the company is strongly committed to backwards compatibility (this is also a Pro, but does sometimes make considerably more work).1
Linden Lab Reviews FAQs
Linden Lab has an overall rating of 3.9 out of 5, based on over 125 reviews left anonymously by employees. 79% of employees would recommend working at Linden Lab to a friend and 55% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 9% over the last 12 months.
79% of Linden Lab employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Linden Lab 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 3.1 for career opportunities.