Linden Lab Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Linden Lab Interview Questions

Interviews at Linden Lab

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Linden Lab (Seattle, WA) in October 2009.

Interview

Very flaky interview process. Initial was a phone screen with an HR recruiter, then a technical phone interview with a developer. Was told to expect a call in the next couple of days to schedule a in person interview. Didn't hear anything or get any response back from checking in until 3 weeks later when they asked to schedule an interview, no explanation for the delay.

They flew me down to their headquarters for a 7 person all day interview battery. Was told I would hear about a decision within the next couple days. No response at all from them following that, not even the courtesy rejection letter.

Interview Questions

• What are some advantages/disadavantages of SOAP over REST?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Linden Lab (Davis, CA) in April 2008.

Interview

The interviews were fun in most cases. I was able to talk to quite a few really smart and interesting people. The frustrating part was that I had to go through 1:1 interviews with 7 people, 6 on the same day. That seemed kind of excessive.

Interview Questions

• An abstract question about ways to simulate behavior of workers who move stools around a workspace in some controlled way, and what the expected results would be.   12 Answers

Negotiation

It went well, I accepted their first offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Linden Lab (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

1. Phone Screen
    2. All-day on-site interview

Interview was okay. If the interview did not go well (even if it seemed like it did), they don't call back to tell you that you didn't get the job.

They are extremely focused on how to build REST applications so be prepared to answer architectural questions on how you would build certain types of systems.

Interview Questions

• What is Ruby on Rails good for? What would you build with it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Linden Lab (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I interviewed with environment lead, character lead, art director and product lead. One on one for about an hour. Very informal and casual. Everyone was very friendly and easy to talk to. Product lead asked the majority of the more challenging questions but over all a great group of people that at the end of the day want to make a good product while having a good time.

Interview Questions

• What would you be doing next week if you don't get this job?   Answer Question

Vice President of Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Linden Lab (San Francisco, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Interview with recruiter, interview with head of HR, interview with VPs and CEO

Interview Questions

• How would you change our revenue model?   Answer Question
    • How would I work with employees that communicate through their avatars?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Linden Lab (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was pretty quick. I found the position posted on CraigsList and responded. HR from Linden Lab quickly contacted me and did a brief phone interview. Then a Linden Lab engineer followed up with another phone screen. Then one final phone interview before they decided to bring me in for an in-site interview. During the on-site interview I meet one on one with five engineers from different levels. Finally I got to chat with the CEO for 15 minutes which was not previously planned. The interview seems to concentrate testing a person's general grasp of math and computer science, and general intelligence level, rather than testing memory of specific programming language features. At the conclusion of the interview it seems pretty much they decided they like me a lot. The HR promised to come back to me the next day, which they did. The entire job application process was quick and took less than three weeks from begin to finish.

Interview Questions

• I was tested on basic trigonometry knowledge which I never prepared for. But since I am solid on math that was not an issue for me. Another difficult question was that I was presented with two teams with identical settings of a competition and both teams are very smart people and I was to help team A to win over team B. Initially I was puzzled as how could one team win over the other if they have everything exactly the same. Comes out the question is to adopt a strategy that gives a team the best chance to win, but not necessarily win it. Once that is clarified the answer is easier.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiation. They understand that I had another interview opportunity and want to make sure I get an offer I am happy with. And I am happy with the offer. I was especially impressed with how the CEO pitched what the company is trying to do, at the end of the interview process. I think that is a part of the reasons I accepted the offer.

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Linden Lab (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview was quick and the response was quick as well. The recruiter reached out and was able to set up an interview within days. Had about three different interviews.

Lead Character Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Linden Lab (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I had my initial phone screen interview with recruiting, and was immediately followed up with a 2nd interview with the Art Director the next day. Once the interview was complete, I was then promptly contacted by recruiting to set up an in person interview for the following week. I met with each art team department lead as well as the Director of Product. The entire interview lasted about 2hrs.

I immediately felt very comfortable and welcomed by each interviewer. I was asked about my experience and knowledge of specific software. I was given a brief breakdown of the role and what would be expected of the role I was interviewing for.

Interview Questions

• Can you give me a breakdown of your character creation process and what software you use to do it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very smooth. I gave a range of salary I was expecting, and they came back with an offer within the range.

Software QA Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Linden Lab in October 2009.

Interview

I have done many interviews over the past six months that have run the gamut of experience. Linden Labs is by far one of the most positive experiences I have had with any company. They have been very professional in all communications and interactions. I have done interviews with Linden Labs on the phone, "in the world", and on site. I expect them to make a decision on my employment next week.

The people I have interviewed with are friendly and have made the experience much less stressful than most companies I have interviewed with. I was even given several status reports of where I stood with them during the process without having to ask. They have followed through on any and all plans and commitments.

Even if I don't get an offer next week, then I would still highly recommend this company as a great place to pursue for your next career opportunity.

Interview Questions

• - Have you ever used your creativity to solve a problem at work? If so, how?   1 Answer

Fraud Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Linden Lab.

Interview

The interview process was smooth and quick. After speaking with a few people I felt that this company knew what they were doing and did it very well. Thinks were speedy during the process and all my questions were answered quickly.