Localytics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Raj Aggarwal

Pros
Cons
  • Employee growth does not exist at Localytics (in 3 reviews)

• I talked to several other former employees who experienced the same exact thing (in 3 reviews)

1. "I can honestly say I love my job."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Localytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The opportunity is yours for the taking here. Come in, work hard and prove yourself and the sky's the limit
    -Minimal red tape. Localytics is extremely agile and if you have a good idea you can pitch it and run with it
    -Autonomy to do your work. You feel empowered to make decisions and test out new things. There are very few micro-managers (at least on my team)
    -No startup is perfect at this, but the exec team tries to be really transparent
    -Flexible and excellent work/life balance. As long as you get your work done and continue to perform at a high level Localytics is really laid back about WFH and vacation time (there's unlimited vacation which is cool)
    -The people make Localytics what it is. They're incredibly smart and talented but also fun. Just great people in general who like to work hard/play hard
    -We've been know to throw a good party (or 10)

Cons

-It's a startup. You're along for the ride. If you can't handle that it can be a bumpy one at times, I'd advise you not to work at any startup.
    -Some teams have some managerial issues to work out

Advice to Management

Keep the culture the way it is today where everyone can be open, honest, and have a little fun. It's what makes Localytics a great place to work. Make sure teams feel empowered to run with new ideas or challenge the status quo. Occasionally, it seems like we do things based on a hunch and not data.

Also - Sift out the few bad managers who are causing employee churn.

"Full Time Employee"

I worked at Localytics full-time

Pros

The people are great. Everyone is busy but it is easy to have fun here. The office is beautiful - nicest office I have ever worked in.

Cons

Not sure if customers are not paying us but company feels poor.

Localytics Response

May 9, 2017 – Senior Director, Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback.

"I love working at Localytics!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Localytics (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging work, intelligent coworkers, fun events, good benefits, good beer

Cons

Everybody's great, so you have to really shine and promote yourself to get recognition from management.

Startup, so there are some ups and down but growing pains for a mid-sized startup isn't uncommon.

Most of the negative reviews must be from from disgruntled former employees. I don't find myself agreeing with anything that is said.

"Amazing people, leadership, and opportunity."

Former Employee - Director, Product in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Director, Product in Boston, MA

I worked at Localytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For anyone new to the Boston tech scene, Localytics is hands down in the top 3 hottest startups around. It's the poster child for TechStars Boston, they are working really deeply with the biggest apps in the world like Weather Channel, ESPN, Periscope, Microsoft, the list goes one... and they just moved into a sweet new office right across from Gov't Center downtown.

--Leadership
    Founders have some great experience - from developing app analytics platforms at Microsoft to working with Steve Jobs on the launch of the iPhone. Executive team is seasoned, accountable, and collaborative - all from big name Boston and US tech companies including LogMeIn, Constant Contact, Salesforce and Rackspace.

--Market
    The mobile analytics and marketing space is exceptionally dynamic, with well-funded startup competitors, incumbents, a frenemy-laden partner landscape, and expanding product possibilities being opened up by iOS, Android, and Web tech. Interacting with the product team there, surrounded by decades of cumulative mobile tech expertise, it's really like being able to see into the future everyday.

--Technology
    Same goes for the engineering side - engineering leadership has a strong relationship with the Amazon Web Services team in Cambridge and is always experimenting with new database and data pipeline tech. When you hit billions of daily data points in a competitive market like analytics you have to really push the limit when it comes to optimizing for the costs associated with processing, storage, and query. It's not big data, it's HUGE.

--What Localytics has given me
    I was able to leverage Localytics, as did my colleagues across functions and departments, to build my personal brand equity and become an authority in the market. Leadership also supported me in recruiting a new data science team that was critical to releasing a new product line I had been wanting to build for years, a positive and fulfilling learning experience. Finally, my colleagues there have also become close friends - I'd often go out for dinner and drinks with them, barbecue together on the weekends, and genuinely enjoy their company in and out of the office.

Cons

The company was slower than I liked to transition 'up-market' from high-volume, transactional SMB sales to high-ticket enterprise deals.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Stay scrappy and heads-down focused on our customers and the road to profit!

"Learned the startup trade"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Localytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

During my interview I mentioned I wanted to start a company one day and one of the founders told me that meant that Localytics would be a great experience for me because I'd learn the ups and downs of a startup which would make me more successful in my own venture. I can't stress enough how true this was. The team has been very transparent about all of their decisions and while I haven't agreed with all of them I have learned how a business of this size and scale is run.

Cons

Startups are hard. The pros above can also be seen as cons. There is a lot happening quickly and it is up to the individual to stay on top of it.

Advice to Management

Remember you are a startup. Sometimes you make decisions in the name of 'scale' which are too early. We should prioritize speed above everything.

"Startup environment, real-business work"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Localytics full-time

Pros

There are lots of startups I've worked at or looked at that have great feels to them - hip places, fun products, etc. Localytics has a really unique balance of a small-company real-startup feeling, but working on a product with big-business scale and impact you can feel. It's really cool to know the work you do on a daily basis has a bottom line impact measuring in the millions of dollars. No offense to the SoLoMo / uber-for-cat-sitting companies out there; i've worked on lighter B2C products before, which is fun, but this is another level for feeling your work impact.

Cons

It's still got a startup feel, which means things are always moving, on and off the clock. Going totally off the grid is a more deliberate act (not super difficult, and no one will give you a hard time about it, but it's got to be deliberate). This isn't like an early-stage startup - not a ton of calls or emails that require immediate action come in at 10 PM, and engineers aren't coming in on most Saturday mornings - but things do happen on off-hours more than they probably would if you took a job at Fidelity or something.

The departmental organization feels like it's still in flux sometimes - mostly in a good way; we're willing to try new things to get customers through to success - but there's a level of shifts that happen that some folks don't love when it comes to job responsibilities, titles, etc. If you're a jack-of-all-trades type this probably won't bother you in the least, but for folks more focused on a traditional single job responsibility it might be an issue.

Advice to Management

Keep everyone's eyes on the prize, even though it's easy to get bogged down in the tactical - the 2+ year vision is what we're all bought into this for.

"Not as bad as it looks"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Localytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Engineering peers are very knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with
    -Everyone is focused on improvement of the product and our processes
    -Technical/infrastructural debt is understood and working it down is planned into roadmap
    -Stay pretty close to the bleeding edge on technologies, especially within the AWS ecosystem
    -Lots of opportunities to learn a lot and grow quickly and get experience with services at scale. Your interest level is your only ceiling, unlike some software jobs that just need warm bodies to make web form #1001
    -The flexible work/life balance is in the right place, the company does not value grinding you into dust with hard hours and has the respect to trust you to manage your productivity
    -Financials are discussed and transparent to the team during various levels of company meetings held multiple times a month

Cons

-Poor growth planning in 2015 severely damaged the company reputation. Hiring too quickly and without enough organization forced a layoff in January that was unfortunately timed with the ebbing of VC funding in the industry. The fallout from this has ruined employer reputation for hiring the new employees we need to keep the company rolling forward. Look at the ratings trend on this site, the rating was amazing until January and it was tanked by the layoffs.
    -Organization around employee growth like career paths, performance reviews, and such never got implemented, which is odd for a company of this size.

Advice to Management

Keep working to restore the organization's reputation so we can start hiring talented people again. Also keep a close eye on attrition as it can quickly become a feedback loop if not careful.

"Localytics is the true startup experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

- Unlimited career and personal growth. I was promoted in my first year.
     - Amazing people. There are so many brilliant individuals to learn from.
     - Company culture is top notch. Sales, Engineering, Support, Marketing, and Product all get along very well.
     - Very challenging and rewarding work
     - Great product with the best client base
     - Exciting space
     - Exec team is full of thought leaders

Cons

- It's a startup, it has its ups and downs
     - Not really a con, but you must be able to handle constant change

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. As this is a startup, change is constant and employees need to be aware of upcoming changes. Don't lose the incredible culture you have created.

"Forward Progress"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

I think most of us are looking for a job where we can make a tangible impact, and Localytics provides just that. Working with some of the biggest companies in mobile gives you the opportunity to make a visible change in the way massive organizations do business. There are few things more rewarding after a long day than receiving a campaign you suggested and watching the results come in on the Localytics dashboard.

I can honestly say that I have established relationships with individuals spanning every department in the company. Everyone I've encountered has helped facilitate the growth of my career and overall mobile knowledge base. The name of the game here truly is collaboration from your peers all the way up to the executive board.

Cons

Any job at this company requires hard work as a prerequisite to success. It's not a con by any means but do understand what's required if you want to work here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I can already see our new strategy taking shape. The future here is bright.

"Great - but requires strong work ethic"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Localytics full-time

Pros

Great Product
    Great Customers
    Great Growth Opportunities
    Good Benefits
    Good Salaries
    Great Options
    Solid Leadershi[

Cons

High expectations for employees to work long hours and do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. Need to have more guidance internally from management.

Advice to Management

Overall this is a really good place to work. It is amazing how happy clients are with the product and some of the real business gains that can be achieved. However, we need to slow down and hire more competant people to deal with the workload.