KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Localytics Reviews

Updated Aug 2, 2021

Found 69 of over 76 reviews

3.4
Localytics CEO Jude McColgan (no image)
Jude McColgan
Pros
  • "Localytics was an amazing company with amazing people(in 21 reviews)

• "The engineering team was the best in Boston, the scale and technology we worked with was unbelievable(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I don't know much about the current state of Localytics post-acquisition(in 9 reviews)

• "It's important to note we have had recent employee churn(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

Current Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing ride

Aug 2, 2021 - Senior Director of Engineering in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Localytics was an amazing company with amazing people. The engineering team was the best in Boston, the scale and technology we worked with was unbelievable. Great location too.

Cons

The company never made it over the hump and was acquired by Upland. I don't know much about the current state of Localytics post-acquisition.

2. 3.0

Turnaround Attempt

May 25, 2021 - Manager, FP&A in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Executive team did what they had to do even though some of it was tough to swallow for employees Culture takes a hit when business gets stagnant, but they always tried

Cons

Bookings performance suffered and churn became the norm

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best place I've ever worked.

Apr 24, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Young, energetic, smart, amazing people with a learning / teaching culture - Startup vibe allowing the opportunity to find places to plug in and make change and add value - Great technology and in a great sector (digital engagement) - Strong business model and financial growth - Investment in personal growth - Love the culture and the feeling of team & family - Fun environment with pool table, ping pong tables, kegs, food, etc - Our customers are some of the biggest and best brands. Like CBS, Bose, GoPro, TWC, Comcast and the list goes on

Cons

- Speed up backfilling positions (maybe this is ok. we do hire great people) - I would like to see more folks eager to find opportunities and make change. We aren't so big that we cant make this place what we want. I have been at a few startups and part of the excitement to me is that we own it. You can't put it all on the company. - Identify high potential/performers faster If you have every had a job, you know the perfect place doesn't exist. There will always be something. With that said, I am a positive person who finds the best in things rather than dwelling in the things that could bother me. If I don't like something I just try and change it.

Localytics Response

HR Manager

Thanks so much for the review. Our learning of culture is very important to us, and we continue to gather feedback on how we can really help folks with personal and professional development.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

It's too bad because Localytics could have been something

Apr 29, 2020 - Account Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Solid compensation & benefits. Great people at most levels of the company. Opportunities to advance yourself personally.

Cons

Poor management from Jude contaminated the culture. He was consistently absent, rude, & truly miserable to work for. I'd usually say work "with", because any leader would convey that unity - but Jude lead with an insecure-driven dominance and a bizarre need to validate his own status / alphaness. Meetings with him were uncomfortable, unproductive, and left employees leaving with more questions. I do not write this review to harp on the past or bring anyone down - including Jude. I simply want others to avoid the mistake I made not vetting him.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good place to work, tough market to be in

Sep 4, 2019 - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

· Strong culture and values. A lot of company decisions are driven by desire to do good by their employees and their customers. There were multiple times when I witnessed how the company could have done "the wrong thing" and easily get away with it, yet they chose to do "the right thing" only because it was the right thing to do. A rare level of integrity! · Their customers are household names. For those in customer facing roles experience gained in Localytics would be much more valuable than experience at some other companies that market to mom-and-pop shops. · Big, hairy challenges on the engineering side. Very few companies in town operate on a comparable scale. And most of those other companies are giant corps where one's impact is limited to a tiny part of the system. · One of the reviewers mentioned this in the Cons column, but I see this as a Pro. Very picky when it comes to hiring. I was involved in hiring for the Product, Engineering, and Design departments and at least in those departments a lot of good candidates were rejected. One had to be a truly great candidate to be offered a job at Localytics. As a result the caliber of the team was unmatched. (But to be completely honest I felt that some other departments had much lower bar) · One of the coolest offices in town. Great location in Government Center, steps from every T line.

Cons

· Not sure if this belongs in the Cons column but it's not a Pro either. The comp package is not great. The base salary is average. But there's no performance bonus, and the equity is stock options in a late stage private company. Benefits package is also average at best. · Total lack of transparency. Sometimes it reaches comical levels. For example, there was a VP departure where at some point said VP cleared their desk and stopped showing up at work and yet there was not a single word from the Exec team. Of course, news travel through the grapevine, often distorted and uncontrollable. · The Exec team doesn't trust themselves and their employees to make the right decisions. As a result no decision are being made when needed. Great ideas were conceived and prototyped by the product and engineering, never got buy-in from the execs, and wound up abandoned. There is maybe a couple of people on the exec team who think strategically and develop vision but apparently they are not getting much support.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0

It's only up from here

Jun 18, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company really pushes you to be self-driven. You're in charge of having a real impact, affecting bottom line, and they sponsor an all company executive coaching program that helps people of all levels for now and in their future.

Cons

There are still some people who are around from "pre-layoffs" that are a bit stuck in their ways and aren't open to innovation. I can understand it, it's scary, but if this company wants to succeed, the employees need to be more open to things being different, and a little uncomfortable at times. Comfort doesn't breed success.

7. 4.0

Fun, challenging workplace

Jan 22, 2016 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

+ Generally friendly workplace, can be a little clique-y on some teams, but overall, people here are easy to get along with. + Can't speak to the other departments, but engineering hires very well. Coworkers are all very smart, capable people who are bullish on improvements, care deeply about their craft, and don't settle for stupid hacks. + The work is both challenging and interesting. + People actually care about tech debt here. + The work environment is relaxing and offers generous vacation time (untracked) and work from home policies. + Management encourages a culture of openness and transparency that while not perfect, at least makes you feel comfortable voicing your opinion. Whether anything comes out of that probably varies by manager, but my managers are all good folk so I don't worry about that =).

Cons

- If you work here you gotta be capable of giving yourself direction and making/clarifying important decisions on your own because management sometimes drops the ball by throwing out half finished requirements and expects you to fill in the blanks. I'm probably making it sound worse than it actually is, but regardless you gotta be a go-getter. - There is a major lack of communication between departments and this hurts product focus among other things and is pretty much the reason for the consistent annoyance of direction and scope changes for feature work and why the product can't always get the improvements it needs. - No matching 401K. - Free lunch is provided on Tuesdays, not Fridays. I know the complaint is petty, but I can't get over it.

8 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Every company has it's issues- the Good far outweighs the Bad

Mar 9, 2016 - Senior Employee in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Localytics has a team in place to take the market by the horns and do great things The technology stack is innovative and the engineering team is among the best in Boston Localytics works with some of the best brands in mobile and has, far and away, the best customers in the market The compensation across the board is, by every review here, pretty great If you're able to self manage and self motivate there is a ton to learn and so much opportunity if you're ambitious and fight for it Some recent, major changes have given new focus and motivation for everyone to be successful

Cons

Micromanagement at the top has caused some processes to slow to a crawl Some changes have been made without an apparent plan in place There shouldn't be a need for the CEO's signature on every decision made- it often holds things up and gives the perception of a lack of trust in leadership at the top Not a con for Localytics but former employees are using GlassDoor as their personal vendetta site and slandering a company that has it's flaws but ultimately is still a great place to work is disappointing. If you worked here for 3 years and had so much built up anger and resentment then that is clearly a you-problem.

7 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0

Not as bad as it looks

Sep 11, 2016 - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Engineering peers are very knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with -Everyone is focused on improvement of the product and our processes -Technical/infrastructural debt is understood and working it down is planned into roadmap -Stay pretty close to the bleeding edge on technologies, especially within the AWS ecosystem -Lots of opportunities to learn a lot and grow quickly and get experience with services at scale. Your interest level is your only ceiling, unlike some software jobs that just need warm bodies to make web form #1001 -The flexible work/life balance is in the right place, the company does not value grinding you into dust with hard hours and has the respect to trust you to manage your productivity -Financials are discussed and transparent to the team during various levels of company meetings held multiple times a month

Cons

-Poor growth planning in 2015 severely damaged the company reputation. Hiring too quickly and without enough organization forced a layoff in January that was unfortunately timed with the ebbing of VC funding in the industry. The fallout from this has ruined employer reputation for hiring the new employees we need to keep the company rolling forward. Look at the ratings trend on this site, the rating was amazing until January and it was tanked by the layoffs. -Organization around employee growth like career paths, performance reviews, and such never got implemented, which is odd for a company of this size.

7 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A Phenomenal Place to Learn, Grow, and Make an Impact!

Nov 23, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

-AWESOME team, everyone is hard working, extremely talented, and most importantly easy to get along with. Working at Localytics has helped me built an awesome network and coming to work feels like seeing great friends every day. Everyone is encouraged to be their true self, which can be hard to find in the work place! -Great learning opportunity. I have learned more in the past two years than I learned in the prior six years of my career combined. Localytics has given me the opportunity to learn both technical and business skills that have proven invaluable for my career -Localytics is constantly working at its culture, and if you care enough, any employee can help drive that culture -The exec team values the contribution of all employees and with that comes a high expectation for what employees deliver - this is a great opportunity to make an impact, which has also proven invaluable for my career growth -Autonomy in your work! Great opportunity to take leadership in your team

Cons

The company has had to learn how to be lean in light of difficult times (like all other companies in 2016), so one needs to be creative in their solutions when approaching a project/task/initiative

6 people found this review helpful
    Viewing 1 - 10 of 69 Reviews

Localytics Reviews FAQs

Localytics has an overall rating of 3.4 out of 5, based on over 76 reviews left anonymously by employees. 58% of employees would recommend working at Localytics to a friend and 50% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Localytics employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Localytics. This rating has decreased by 0% over the last 12 months.

58% of Localytics employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Localytics 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.3 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Localytics to be culture, career development, coworkers and the cons to be benefits, management, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Localytics Job Seekers