Localytics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Jude McColgan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Employee growth does not exist at Localytics (in 3 reviews)

• I talked to several other former employees who experienced the same exact thing (in 3 reviews)

1. "Cautiously optimistic with the recent focus"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager

I worked at Localytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The engineering management team genuinely cares about the team and wants to do the right thing for their people. They have a lot of great processes in place to help grow and manage the team, such as regular 1:1s and 360 Reviews. There is a great culture of learning; when things go wrong, they genuinely want to fix it and prevent reoccurance rather than blame.

There are a lot of smart people there with opportunities to learn from. They have a lot of great technology they are using in many places throughout the product. Definitely a great way to level up your skills.

There is currently a laser focus on getting the next set of features out, which provides clarity and a proper sense of mission. This is relatively new, and hopefully will continue (see cons).

Cons

There is a lot of product surface area for a smaller team to cover. There has been progress made and the recent focus has helped, but more needs to be done. Hard choices have been made, and I suspect a few more will need to, product-wise.

In the past, there was a tendency to change technology slower than possibly ideal for a company this size.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide clarity and focus. Figure out what you can cut, and get rid of the "unnecessary" surface area, it is dragging you down.

"Flashy exterior, but don't get sucked in."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Localytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some good people, and the office is really nice.

Cons

Lack of transparency with management, the company does not hit financial goals quarter to quarter, management does not make an attempt to communicate with employees.

Advice to Management

In general, get your stuff together. The new CEO was announced to employees BY ACCIDENT, which is totally crazy and unprofessional. Be honest with your employees, and provide clear-cut career opportunities so that you don't lose talent.

"Approaching 1 year at Localytics"

I have been working at Localytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best in the market product, transparency, cross-pollination between departments, established company + fun startup culture

If you clearly express your interests and passion, management is keen on helping you grow. Be prepared with a specific game plan, take initiative to network, and proactively ask for feedback.

Cons

Inevitable beer belly
    Unstructured onboarding compared to previous experiences at larger corporations, less focus on training (*startup culture, pave your own path mentality)

"Love this place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Localytics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super talented people who are passionate about their job. Great tech space to be in with incredible opportunities.

- Transparent management to the top
    - Awesome work/life balance
    - Top talent
    - Great career opportunities
    - Flexible on things and great ability to make adjustments
    - Great cross-department collaboration
    - Great office space/location
    - mmmm snacks & killer beers on tap

Cons

All companies have problems but this place is light on the cons in my opinion. To be honest I hate to even list things since IMHO they aren't anything different than other places.

Advice to Management

I've seen lots of change over the last 2+ years and the culture at this place has always been a top priority. Don't loose sight of this as we continue to grow and evolve.

"Great Start-up!"

I have been working at Localytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredibly intelligent people
    - Industry leading product
    - Top-tier enterprise clients
    - Fun environment
    - Unlimited PTO

Cons

- Market is starting to saturate a bit
    - Need to be self driven - you cannot expect to be spoon fed
    - Company vision can be solidified
    - No matching on 401K

Advice to Management

Work to continue inspiring the company. Routinely share your vision and metrics the company is tracking toward. Continue hiring top talent.

"Bumpy past, brilliant future"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Localytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Hiring has started up again and with that we are seeing promotions from within and general view of career progression again
    * This company is sitting on a unique opportunity as the only company with an amazing dataset in a world where data matters increasingly more every day.
    * Transparency is great. The last year was bumpy but I personally learned a lot about how a business thinks from this.

Cons

* Last year kinda sucked. As a result some people still carry some baggage.
    * The new office is great but the open atmosphere takes a lot of getting used to

Advice to Management

* Think about how to use the existing space better. Can we remove some desks and put more quiet spaces in?
    * Be more active in local events. We need to focus on being a big name in Boston again.

"I can honestly say I love my job."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Localytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The opportunity is yours for the taking here. Come in, work hard and prove yourself and the sky's the limit
    -Minimal red tape. Localytics is extremely agile and if you have a good idea you can pitch it and run with it
    -Autonomy to do your work. You feel empowered to make decisions and test out new things. There are very few micro-managers (at least on my team)
    -No startup is perfect at this, but the exec team tries to be really transparent
    -Flexible and excellent work/life balance. As long as you get your work done and continue to perform at a high level Localytics is really laid back about WFH and vacation time (there's unlimited vacation which is cool)
    -The people make Localytics what it is. They're incredibly smart and talented but also fun. Just great people in general who like to work hard/play hard
    -We've been know to throw a good party (or 10)

Cons

-It's a startup. You're along for the ride. If you can't handle that it can be a bumpy one at times, I'd advise you not to work at any startup.
    -Some teams have some managerial issues to work out

Advice to Management

Keep the culture the way it is today where everyone can be open, honest, and have a little fun. It's what makes Localytics a great place to work. Make sure teams feel empowered to run with new ideas or challenge the status quo. Occasionally, it seems like we do things based on a hunch and not data.

Also - Sift out the few bad managers who are causing employee churn.

"Hire an Employment Lawyer Before You Leave"

I worked at Localytics full-time

Pros

Highly accessible to public transportation.

Cons

The only reason I'm writing this review is because of the highly unethical practices me as well as several other employees I've talked to that have been laid off or cut over the last couple years have experienced after we leave, not getting the money we owed on time or at all until. It is unacceptable for any company, no matter how big or small or how much financial trouble they are in to not pay the money it owes to its employees, especially with no warning or reasoning. It is highly unethical and illegal. It took many unanswered emails until I finally received my payment (very late). I talked to several other former employees who experienced the same exact thing. Some didn't get responses or their final paycheck until they threatened a lawsuit.

I highly suggest any current employee preparing to leave Localytics have an employment lawyer ready so that when they don't pay you in a timely manner you can quickly recoup your wages owed.

For a company that primarily hires people in their young 20's so they can keep their costs low it is shameful to try to take advantage of their lack of experience by not paying them after they leave. Many of these employees are dealing with the financial struggles that come with being in their early 20's.

As for working at the company the biggest issue I ran into is that several of the managers in the company are highly immature and selfish in nature. To have multiple managers who only care about their image in the company and not the growth or advancement of their employees was one of the most frustrating experiences to be a part of. There is a good chance you will never have a conversation with your manager about where you want to go in your career. Again, for a company that primarily hires employees coming out of college it is an extreme disservice to them not to give them the managers and mentors they need to grow. Promotions for anyone not a manager or director is extremely rare. If you want happy customers I would suggest work on making the employees happy first. Career growth and professional advancement are far more effective at creating culture than a keg and ping pong table in the kitchen.

At this time I cannot give the recommendation to work at Localytics.

Advice to Management

First, pay your employees on time, especially after they leave. Sooner or later it will eventually come back to bite you.

The rest is up to you, if you really care about employee happiness you don't need a Glassdoor review to tell you how to fix it.

"Smart People - Some Questionable Decisions"

I worked at Localytics full-time

Pros

High energy atmosphere with some highly intelligent and competitive counterparts, throughout all departments. Decent transparency form senior leadership and a nice office location. Pay is at the lower end of competitive for the market.

Cons

Certain management members have ineffective styles and seem unqualified. Lots of sub-groups form and create an uncomfortable work environment. The concept of advancement seems to be present, but little-to-no employee development goes into the advancement, rather people get promoted to fill vacancies due to attrition or simply creating a new title.

Advice to Management

Re-focus on the culture that you wanted in the early days. Identify threats to that culture and give them an opportunity to buy-in. Do enough to keep investors happy, but spend the rest of the time making employees happy, because they are the ones who will make customers happy.

Localytics Response

Mar 1, 2017 – Senior Director, Human Resources

Thanks for the constructive feedback! We’re always looking for ways to improve, so I appreciate your candor. Employee development and culture is extremely important to us, and is a big focus for our... More

"The ship is sinking"

I worked at Localytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office and location. Nothing compared to other successful startups in the area.
    Sorry I'm having a very difficult time thinking of any positives for this company.

Cons

Without a doubt the most poorly managed startup in all of Boston. They had something good at one point in time but now have completely lost it. An acquisition is best case scenario, but even that is a stretch. This ship is sinking very quickly.

They struggle to keep the lights on and must make cuts year over year, to the point where offices have been shut down. Employee growth does not exist at Localytics. They are only looking out for the C-level execs and the VC's who unfortunately decided to invest in Localytics. Current employees, make sure you know what happens with your stock after that most likely acquisition...

Being generous the company probably has until 2018 before needing to shut down or take another round of debt financing. Hopefully that acquisition happens before then.

Advice to Management

Just be honest with your employees for once. You have already lost all of your top talent and any remaining positive reputation you once had.

Localytics Response

Mar 1, 2017 – Senior Director, Human Resources

Well, that wasn’t a fun one to read. I’m sorry to hear you had a bad experience at Localytics. Like any startup, we are not without our hardships or faults. With that said, we strive to create a work... More