MISO Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
MISO President and CEO John R. Bear
John R. Bear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great (possibly the best) pay and benefits for the Indianapolis area (in 7 reviews)

• Good salary, nice people, work life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was not the best (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management is disconnected from reality (in 6 reviews)

1. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Engineer II in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Carmel, IN

I have been working at MISO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Profit sharing
    End of year bonus
    vacation and sick time given at beginning of year, not accrued

Cons

Lots of over educated under qualified folks are hired
    quarterly update schedule can mess up holidays for the whole year

"Be cautious when considering them"

Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Carmel, IN

I worked at MISO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very competitive pay, solid benefits including medical, clinic (Carmel), 401K, etc.
    Highly educated workforce in the ever evolving industry of electricity transmission. Lower level staff are conscientious and try to move the company forward regardless of area. Interns and early career individuals: great place to get work experience, particularly in technical areas.

Cons

The politics! Tragically, this enterprise is characterized by a "good ol' boy" network within the executive ranks. The priorities of the enterprise are often determined by the executive sponsor and not always based on critical need or economic merit. The rank and file employees left to implement these directives have become disillusioned and often feel "trapped" by the golden handcuffs (see above comments on pay/benefits). Add to that the long history of hiring many associates from the outside of the company rather than promoting from within, and you get a workforce that is largely growing disengaged with an eye towards the door.

Advice to Management

The comments on Glassdoor are shared with the Board of Directors' HR committee - while this is a positive, the Executive team seems willing to dismiss these comments as a group of malcontents. Please take to heart the need to stop the endless political decision making and rely more on your talented workforce to develop potential solutions rather than perpetually hiring high priced consultants.

"Toxic"

Current Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at MISO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are highly competitive. One of the biggest challenges for those of us working here is being unable to leave, not matter how miserable we are or how much we are mistreated, because the pay is so competitive.

Another review mentioned this, but it is worth repeating. The leadership at MISO is aware of the bad reviews on here, but have decided that they are irrelevant because it is "just a bunch of people that are disgruntled". Unbelievable. Negative feedback is dismissed because the person providing it is upset or disappointed. Is that not the very nature of negative feedback? Would someone be inclined to leave negative feedback if they were not disappointed or upset? So, MISO leadership, help me understand. Would't that reasoning invalidate all negative feedback?

Cons

Do you miss the 90? Would you like to re-live the glory days of spreadsheets, word documents and powerpoint presentations? Do you think that graduate school is only for losers? Do you still believe that Taylorism is the management system of the future? Do you love top-down, authoritarian leadership? Are you a white man in his 40's or 50's? You are in luck! MISO is the place for you!

If you are reading this and are contemplating working for MISO, think hard. Read the comments left by those of us who work here. Compare them to those of other companies in the area and ask yourself if you want to work with a group of people this disillusioned with their leadership and work environment.

The leadership at MISO will dismiss this review and carry on with their shenanigans. Little can be done about that. However, you do not have to deal with this. Take my advice - don't. The money isn't worth it.

Advice to Management

You are out of your league and we all know it. You got to where you are by being in the right place at the right time, but you've no idea how to run this company. You are the problem.

Creating a Women's Resource Group and then promoting men who mistreat women (you know who I'm talking about) won't fix MISO. Creating a Lifelong Learning initiative when the vast majority of your leadership hasn't darkened the door of a university in three decades isn't doing anyone any good either. Creating an "Open Concept" work space while clinging to 20th century management and HR practices won't fix anything.

You are not fooling anyone but yourselves.

Sadly, there is a cadre of new management that is working to fix the company. However, one-by-one they tire of tilting at windmills and leave to other opportunities where their talents and efforts are not wasted. Whenever this occurs, the good-old-boy network grin, slap each other on the back and congratulate one-another for "getting rid of that troublemaker".

"Rewarding work and good place to get experience in energy industry"

I have been working at MISO full-time

Pros

Good benefits and great company for those coming right out of college. Great place to gain knowledge about the energy industry for those just beginning their career.

Cons

Lacks development and retention program for current employees. Extremely political. Company makes it harder for existing employees to have upward mobility and easier for external candidates without any experience to get upper management jobs . Lots of folks in management that were hired because of who they know and not because they were qualified.

Advice to Management

Need to connect more with the employees and quit holding two different standards for hiring internal and external candidates . Post positions that are open to give existing employees an opportunity to apply. Give more attention to diversity efforts as your workforce is changing and leadership does not represent your workforce. Hiring the same people since you started will not and does not make you an employer of choice .

5. "MISO 2017"

I have been working at MISO full-time

Pros

Culture, Salary, Location, Flexible Work Hours, Food

Cons

I have nothing to say.

"Advisor"

I have been working at MISO full-time

Pros

Challenging and interesting work. Opportunity to work with people in different areas.

Cons

Politics, too many useless meeting, bad management

Advice to Management

Focus on value creating real work

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Carmel, IN

I have been working at MISO full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits are excellent.

Cons

Work and life balance can be a struggle at times.

"People are great, management is a mess."

I have been working at MISO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The individual contributors here are awesome. The people in the trenches are easy to work with and very friendly. Good place when it comes to getting along personally with most people.

Cons

Management. The most lacking characteristic missing in management hete is accountability. Don't get me wrong, managers do a decent job of protecting their teams from typical office politics but when it comes to holding people accountable for NOT doing work, good luck getting someone with authority over the individual or team to do anything about it. MISO is a pretty political place to work. Upper management is often MIA and while their schedules are indeed loaded, I've never been at an organization where I can go weeks at a time without seeing folks from the director level on up, and remember this isn't a huge company. Trust me, I don't expect to see the CEO every week or anything but seeing a director once a month is odd, to me anyway.

Also be ready for constant, and I emphasize constant, last minute demands and fire drills. This company is driven by compliance. It is the main factor in all decisions and drives business work in IT, money is secondary. Not necessarily a knock since MISO is a non-profit but be ready to bow to compliance here as it typically has the final authority.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management of MISO is to hold people accountable when they don't do their jobs. Adults in a professional, corporate environment are expected to do what they were hired to do and what is expected of them. Shielding them because they've been around a while and are likeable doesn't help anyone. Constant fire drills and lack of accountability are the main drivers behind the high turn around here. The problem won't just go away, give people a reason to stay.

"Just say no"

Pros

Free coffee. Lots of free lunches paid for by our tax payers. Mothers rooms are a great place to hook up with coworkers.

Cons

Save your bonuses and high salary. Eventually you will succumb to the soul sucking environment and need years of therapy and rehab. Corrupt corrupt corrupt. Did I mention corrupt?

Advice to Management

CEO needs to go. Consistency is king. One day you are a rockstar the next day you are on a PIP (performance improvement plan). HR should attend FMLA training immediately and often. IT should consider monitoring what is sent on company phones.

10. "Great Place"

Pros

This is a great place to work.

Cons

There are not any negatives.