MISO Reviews

MISO CEO John R. Bear
John R. Bear

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years
    Featured Review

Excellent Company

Aug 16, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

MISO is an excellent company with many different career paths (engineering, IT, finance, legal, HR, etc.). Their work is important, their leadership is very capable, the workforce is generally very interesting and fun to work with, and the pay is very good. Also, they've become more and more flexible with remote work arrangements, improved overall work-life balance, and put real effort into D&I over the years.

Cons

The MISO doesn't have any major cons that come to mind. Anything that I add here would be nit-picking, really. Glassdoor makes you put at least twenty words here though.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company

May 12, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Treat their employees well and pay is great

Cons

I don’t have any negatives

Be the first to find this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for your comments. We at MISO value feedback from past and current employees and are pleased to receive your positive remarks.

3. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Apr 28, 2022 - Team Leader in Carmel, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits package. Colleagues can, and often do, donate unused vacation time to employees are experiencing an extended illness or other misfortunes. Relatively easy to make lateral moves to different areas of the company.

Cons

A bloated bureaucracy makes it difficult to get anything done. Management positions tend to go to people from outside of MISO who have friends or family on the executive team, or ties to other community leaders. For individual contributors, there is no path to long-term success, as frequent re-orgs will ensure that you get a new boss every other year, and that your past accomplishments and contributions will be forgotten. I cannot remember the last time we hired anyone with industry experience. Among staff, the common perception is that there is a dwindling number of people who do all the work, surrounded by a growing mass of bean counters who look over their shoulders and second-guess their every decision. People are rewarded more for throwing their colleagues under the bus than they are for helping each other out. Annual pay raises do not keep up with inflation, and talent has been fleeing the company for the last five years, increasing the workload for those who remain.

6 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We value our past and current employees’ opinions about MISO. We would like to learn more about your specific concerns and invite you to contact our HR leader, Allegra Nottage at anottage@misoenergy.org.

4. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

So many people so little focus

Apr 7, 2022 - Business Analyst in Carmel, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pays for training and pays bonuses Allows telecommuting at least 3 days per week

Cons

Insular, clannish culture Enormous middle management structure Carmel location Endless use of acronyms and business double talk

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We value our current and former employees’ feedback and want to learn more about your experience. If you haven't done so already, we encourage you to reach out to your manager or HR business partner with any concerns. We also invite you to reach out to our HR leader, Allegra Nottage at anottage@misoenergy.org

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

MISO where you can play work, unless your actually competent

May 13, 2022 - Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay and benefits are very good, but not the best. There are some good folks there, and work is interesting.

Cons

A small fraction of the employees do all the work. There is little accountability and if you try to enforce accountability you are seen as difficult. First line management is overworked, and not supported. The company is made up of haves Directors and above and their favorites and have nots the people that actually work. Candor is not encouraged it is punished even when there are compliance implications. Your management will not be honest about your career growth and they don’t mentor or better their employees. Priorities and reorganizations change the business every 6 to 10 months. This leads directors to get promoted when their plans don’t work out because we are pivoting. If you are a woman or minority good luck. The same manager that praises you in public will cut you behind your back. There are long tenured African Americans I know who don’t get opportunities due to “optics” concerns. There is a reason so many people are leaving for promotions.

1 person found this review helpful

6. 2.0
    Former Employee

Top heavy middle management & NO loyalty

Apr 20, 2022 - Compliance Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay and good benefits including an onsite health clinic.

Cons

Too many middle managers that are not good leaders. The company is not loyal to hard working employees - very cliquish. Promotion paths are not clear, and some managers never discuss performance (they email your review and bonus without 1:1). You are only as good as your last project. Yearly reorgs or layoffs especially if you are of a certain age.

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We value our past and current employees’ opinions about MISO. We would like to learn more about your specific concerns and invite you to contact our HR leader, Allegra Nottage at anottage@misoenergy.org or you can always contact your HR business partner as well.

7. 1.0
    Current Employee

House of Cards

May 9, 2022 - Senior Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

If new to the industry, just starting your career, or looking to coast this is a good place to be.

Cons

The "good" and "talented" people that are the highlight of every Glassdoor review are taking part in a mass exodus as the weight of the countless overpaid and non-performing executive directors, and echo-chamber of directors, is toppling this house of cards. MISO is running out of anyone capable of doing the actual work. This top heavy company, that lacks a single inspirational leader, suffers from lack of accountability and an inability to lead on anything besides self serving bonus tied metrics. Those without golden handcuffs are leaving now that opportunities exist with remote work. Approx 30 staff have left in the first quarter and these were high performers with past loyalty to MISO. With half the company spending half their time on "strategy," there is still non at MMISO. With no idea how to move forward, constant reorgs and shuffling of staff keeps most people guessing. Tenured staff have learned not to buy-in to any effort or program knowing that if you wait it'll just circle back. It's unfortunate that a company with a good mission and a monopoly on customers promotes the wrong type of people. The culture is one of self interest rooted in nepotism that rewards those that can spin inaction and failure as a success. Advice? There are still good people and good work being done, but the rot of a poor culture is too easy for all to see. New leadership, from people who have worked at more than just MISO is needed, and new leadership at the very top. Pray that you can continue to keep the BOD in the dark and keep spinning the news.

Human Resources

Thank you for recognizing that MISO does, indeed, have good people doing good work keeping the lights on for the 42 million customers who depend on us. We appreciate getting open and honest feedback, especially when it relates to our employee experience and our culture. We would like to learn more and encourage you to reach out to our HR Leader Allegra Nottage at anottage@misoenergy.org

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great place to start you career but not to finish it.

Apr 14, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive pay, great co-workers. Good location.

Cons

I averaged a new manager every 2 years for over a decade of employment. Company is extremely top heavy. Despite the abundance of executive directors and above they are extremely distant from the average employee. Not for profit structure makes company growth stagnant compared to the rest of the industry . Company goes through an identity crisis every couple years before conpleting last set of company goals.

3 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We value our current and former employees’ feedback and want to learn more about your experience. Please feel free to reach out to your manager or your HR business partner. We also invite you to reach out to our HR leader, Allegra Nottage at anottage@misoenergy.org. Her door is always open.

9. 1.0
    Current Employee

Disappointing Situation

May 6, 2022 - Reliability Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people in the Control Room to work with

Cons

CEO's, VP's Executive Directors, Directors...need a change of leadership to survive

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We value our current and former employees’ feedback and agree there are a lot of great people to work with here at MISO. We do want to learn more about your experience and specific concerns. We invite you to reach out to our HR leader, Allegra Nottage at anottage@misoenergy.org

10. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great pay with zero accountability - Join us!

Apr 6, 2022 - Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Consistent pay increase regardless of performance.

Cons

No recognition of performance or ability.

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We value our current and former employees’ feedback and want to learn more about your experience. We invite you to reach out to our HR leader, Allegra Nottage at anottage@misoenergy.org.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 208 Reviews
</>Embed

MISO Reviews FAQs

MISO has an overall rating of 3.2 out of 5, based on over 254 reviews left anonymously by employees. 53% of employees would recommend working at MISO to a friend and 49% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -16% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, MISO employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at MISO. This rating has decreased by -10% over the last 12 months.

53% of MISO employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated MISO 3.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.2 for culture and values and 3.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at MISO to be career development, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be culture, management, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with MISO Job Seekers