Mad Science Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Ariel Shlien

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great experience working with kids if you are interested in pursuing a career where you work with kids (in 12 reviews)

• Valuable experience for anyone interested in a career working with children (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of driving, must have access to a car (in 18 reviews)

• I took the job for part time work but found it to barely even be that (in 11 reviews)

1. "Paid to play with fire"

I have been working at Mad Science part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teaching kids has become one of the most rewarding things for me. It's made me realize my next potential career path, all thanks to Mad Science! It's always great to see their faces light up when you do experiments, especially ones with dry ice and flash paper! Great job to work at while still in school.

Cons

Depending on how much programming they're doing, it's very part time. You may have to have another job alongside this one.

2. "Great"

Current Employee - Mad Scientist
    Current Employee - Mad Scientist

I have been working at Mad Science part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its very rewarding working with kids to create a future generation of scientists and engineers!

Cons

Kids can sometimes be a handful, but nothing wrong with the company itself

3. "Great If You Love to Teach Kids"

I have been working at Mad Science part-time

Pros

The schedule is very flexible. You can work every day during the school year, or only one day. The curriculum is very good, engaging hands-on science activities.

Cons

You have to pick up teaching kits at the office once and sometimes twice a week. This is unpaid time.

4. "Instructor"

I worked at Mad Science part-time

Pros

The many different After school Programs that are available for all children in school. They also do private events .

Cons

the mileage reimbursement program needs to be changed. The pay $.35 or less after driving 30 miles in a day and also using your own vehicle.

Advice to Management

try to understand that we are trying to make a living and not like being taken advantage of.

5. "Instructor"

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at Mad Science part-time

Pros

Working with kids. I never learned so much about myself. Best experience.

Cons

You get paid per class. Example: $25-30/per 1 hour class. Sounds awesome right? But then you have to set up your class, clean/pack up material. Also driving everywhere is annoying.

Advice to Management

If you notice that instructors are getting making you shine compared to other instructors, recognition is greatly appreciated.

6. "Amazing People and Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Mad Science full-time

Pros

Work hard to keep their staff, making for a knowledgeable staff with a diverse depth of the different programs they offer.

Cons

I loved this company and would recommend it to anyone.

7. "Great for College Students"

I have been working at Mad Science part-time

Pros

Flexible hours
    Great pay
    Fun teaching material
    Different material each week
    Rewarding

Cons

Sometimes there weren't a lot of hours available depending on when shows were schedule and your availability. You'll definitely want availability between 3 and 5pm.

Advice to Management

I loved our management, but it is a franchise, so I can't speak much to any other regions.

8. "Instructor for camps/after school programs"

Former Employee - Instructor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mad Science part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible work schedule (you can take as much time off as you want as long as you ask 2 weeks in advance).

Pretty easy job, fun working with kids, and training isn't difficult. Plus the pay is pretty good for the ease for job.

Cons

They release schedules for the next week the Friday beforehand. So you don't know if you're working the next week until Friday, which makes it really hard to be able to make plans outside of work. And on friday, if you find out you ARE working the next week, you then have to go to the office sometime that day to pick up your kit for class the next week. Also, depending on whether they have a lot of people hired at any given time of the year, they might not put you on the schedule for multiple weeks in a row.

Also, after every day of camp (or after school program), you have to deliver the kit you use and pick up the kit for the next day on site at the Mad Science office, which is in kearny mesa. So it's a lot of driving, which is annoying. (But they do compensate you for driving if it's above a certain mileage).

Advice to Management

Please please have a way to assign schedules with more advance warning. Even the mon-wed beforehand instead of on fridays, it's so inconvenient.

9. "eh"

Current Employee - Mad Scientist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Mad Scientist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mad Science part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you'll get lots of money for the hour you work but spend it all on gas and basically waste your time driving. they do give back 20 cents a mile but its from their office to the location (which is lower than the IRS -- thats 55 cents a mile)

Cons

management doesn't help you. you have to pick up your kits and that is unpaid. i've seen my manager twice in the 3 months i've worked there. if you are trying to work there for the summer camps -- don't. i did and i haven't gotten a single camp yet. some weeks you can make $300 but most you will make about $60.

Advice to Management

get organized. stop cancelling classes last minute. make sure that everything that the employee's need are in the kits.

10. "I wouldn't...."

I have been working at Mad Science full-time

Pros

If you like dealing with kids, this job is a plus.

Food when you get back to the office (sometimes)

Cons

Way too much driving
    TOO much back and forth from office
    Lack of Professionalism
    Equipment is sometimes missing from kit
    Method of Training is the worst

Not worth it at all....