Malwarebytes Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Marcin Kleczynski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The people are overwhemingly positive and respectful, work/life balance is great, and compensation and benefits are excellent (in 6 reviews)

• The building (in santa clara) itself is amazing to be in and a great work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • We are a fast growing company so make sure you are ready to hit the ground running (in 4 reviews)

• Growing pains of a fast paced company (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Scrum Master/Program Manager"

Current Employee - Scrummaster in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Scrummaster in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Malwarebytes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great products and lots of opportunities to learn new things.
    - Senior Leadership are decisive and always works in best interests of the employees.
    - The culture is vibrant and very lively.
    - Very transparent and actually invests in employees growth along with growth of business.
    - New executive leaders are result oriented and highly focused for adhering to the core values of the company.
    -Culture & People team (Yes ,we do not have so called HR) are the real change agents and make it happen attitude.....

Cons

- Growing pains of a fast paced company.
    - A little communication gap and alignment within departments.

Advice to Management

Kudos !!!

Sep 8, 2017 – VP of People

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with some feedback, We are working through the growing pains, like any fast-growing company, but I'm sure we'll continue to build on the great stuff we have... More

"Best Company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Malwarebytes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership of Marcin is outstanding. He fixes everything that is broke, and can shift gears and his minimal ego helps him to refocus efforts on what makes sense

Cons

Currently out of office space

Advice to Management

Keep the focus and drive

"Change"

I worked at Malwarebytes full-time

Pros

Medical insurance and that is all.

Cons

Managment, non existent bonus structure, no moving up to company

Advice to Management

Pay people fairly, don't use disagreement as a negative, provide a reason for people to stay.

"Clearwater SRE almost 3 months in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Land O' Lakes, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Land O' Lakes, FL

I have been working at Malwarebytes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of pros, but the company culture is the biggest one. I've worked in enterprise IT for 11 years now and I've never seen anything like it. The CEO shares so much great info with the staff in a truly transparent monthly all hands meeting. The fact that he obviously cares so much inspires the entire company to work harder than I've ever seen before.

This cultivates an incredibly positive work environment. It is a fast paced, dynamic and never boring. I feel continuously inspired to do my best. There are also a lot of added perks such as free food and excellent health insurance.

Cons

The Clearwater office is jam-packed full of staff but I hear rumors that they will be moving to a larger office soon.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Jul 31, 2017 – VP of People

Welcome to Malwarebytes! I'm glad you are enjoying your time at Malwarebytes. Please feel free to reach out to me or my team if we can further help in your success.

"Workplace that feels like a 2nd home"

I have been working at Malwarebytes full-time

Pros

Transparency and leaders who listen to customers and employees!

Cons

Sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Advice to Management

Communication is key.

Sep 8, 2017 – VP of People

Welcome to Malwarebytes! I'm glad your first few months have been such a positive experience for you. Please feel free to reach out to me at any time if me or my team can further help in your... More

"Fun, challenging, overall great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Malwarebytes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture. They hire the right people with good attitudes and work hard, play hard personalities. All levels from top management down are honest, transparent, and friendly.

Cons

They are growing so quickly, desk space has become an issue.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Jul 31, 2017 – VP of People

Really glad the culture is resonating well with you, we do spend a lot of time thinking about our culture and how we can continue to make Malwarebytes a great place to work. Feel free to reach out... More

"Tons of upside, if we put it all together"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Malwarebytes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Nearly every employee is unified behind our CEO working to provide all of our customers a malware-free existence.
    -Senior management & the People team (aka HR) is working hard to identify areas of opportunity within the company culture, processes, training, annual reviews, everywhere possible.
    -A CEO that is truly approachable and not above having a beer with anyone in the company, schedule permitting.
    -A true sense of personal accomplishment and pride in your company at the end of the day/week/month that the work you've done truly has made people's lives better.
    -A beautiful HQ office in Santa Clara, fully stocked kitchen that the facilities team works hard to keep stocked as much as possible for a 1-2 person team.
    -A mostly universal woek/life balance company, though it's harder to achieve on the smaller teams.

Cons

-Overhiring in some departments has cannibalize budgeting for team growth in most other departments.
    -Quarterly sales territories, quotas, policies & procedures changing 3-4 times in the last year alone, plus a 2/3 reduction in inside sales seat count cap has ruined morale in most of the inside sales team.
    -No real strong voice or voice of reason to go against Marcin when it comes to large & important decisions seems to exist from the lower level looking up.
    -Most decisions appear to be knee-jerk reactions instead of calculated, well thoughout and internally debated before moving forward.
    -Poor release schedule for consumer products with a brief public beta before releasing, hurting support in knowing how to fix issues before release instead of figuring out as they go after release. Which also prevents the L&D team from creating adequate training materials for internal employees.
    -Some middle management have large plans for their teams without a lot of idea how they're going to achieve them when sales canabalizes budget.
    -Rules for timeliness, social media, web browsing habits, and time off policy vary widely from team to team.
    -Abysmal interdepartmental communication on what people are working on resulting in a lot of silo'd projects, what current work tasks are, what future goals are, and generally where we're going as a company other than Summit stated goals for the company as a whole.
    -Select individuals that seem to be paid to travel and only stop by the office from time to time.

Advice to Management

Overall, I love my job and my company, and I have little interest in considering a job elsewhere. But with repeated missteps with product releases; poor interpartmental communication even after the years of this existing and a lot of talk with things improving; poor sales training, constant changes to the sales team's procedures, substantial reduction in seat count cap for inside sales to prop up the field sales reps to make their quotas; a sub 25 person B2C support team and a 7 person B2B support team; and a QA team that has a team in the single digits wormong their butts off trying to fix all of our products on crazy deadlines is insane. There are a lot of changes that need to happen in the coming year. Because we flat out cannot continue to make these constant mistakes, missteps, misdirected hirings, selective department hirings at the expense of other teams who badly need help, and having an actual culture in HQ which used to exist at one point but has completely disappeared in the name of increased productivity has hurt this great company. And I don't want to, but if I don't see our company get better from Marcin & Pedro on down, then considering other opportunities elsewhere in Silicon Valley will become very real for me come next year. Because as much as I love being a Malwarenaut,l and how much it would hurt to leave, to stay here and see another year of errors, mistakes, and seeming indifference from senior management towards non-management & non-executives hurts far more. And the recent change to our referral payouts is the first time in my almost 3 years with the company that a change within the company truly infuriated me. Executives know executives, engineers know engineers, salespeople know salespeople, support people know support people. So as a salesperson or a support person who already don't have 6 figure incomes, the previous referral payout was a nice boon to our pocketbooks after the 40% taxes were paid. But now, it's but a blip on the radar for us, while those with already high incomes in engineering and executives reap much larger reward to the tune of 66-133% more. The rich get richer as they say...

"Good company, wouldn't want to make it a forever type of job"

I have been working at Malwarebytes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a fun place to work, good people, and it is enjoyable to go to work. Ok pay and extras.

Cons

No real career pathing, feels a lot like high school with many of the types that go on between the relation ships, which effects raises, promotions, and anything else that is important with a job.

Advice to Management

None really

"Great Product"

Current Employee - Sales in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Malwarebytes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great product
    -Great environment where everyone is willing to help
    -Awesome office
    -Annual Summits
    -Brand recognition
    -Taking initiative to listen to employee needs

Cons

-Better Pay
    -Communication across every department
    -Keep everyone in the loop about product road map

Advice to Management

Great product. I appreciate that management is taking a better initiative to invest in the employees. Pay could be better.

"Used to be a great workplace but everything is going downhill"

I have been working at Malwarebytes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Really cool office space (although the open office can get distracting)
    -Bar stocked with beer and wine
    -Kitchen stocked with food and snacks
    -Annual company summits (when organized efficiently and planned well)
    -Friendly people working at Malwarebytes
    -CEO’s passion and vision
    -Open Time Off (if approved)
    -Great work life balance
    -Employee Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life – 100% coverage for employee)

Cons

-Management - some managers have no idea what they are doing or what they are supposed to be doing. Inexperienced managers all over the company because people get promoted to manager roles when they shouldn't have been. It’s not always best to promote from within. If you are well liked, nothing will be done about poor behavior (not just with managers but all across the company).
    -Culture – no events (sporting, happy hours), team outings. Is Summit the only event we have all year? And even then, why isn’t it organized or planned well? Everyone is miserable at the office; no one seems to enjoy coming into the office anymore. Everyone just complains about everything; horrible environment to work in. You walk around and can clearly see that everyone is unhappy. We need to find a way to improve culture but I don’t think we have the resources or the right people to do so. When we do have events, all there is is an open bar, is this all that our culture has come down to?
    -Location of office in Santa Clara is worse than Downtown SJ; can’t really walk anywhere for lunch or go anywhere for breaks. Makes it hard to get away from office for a bit so we are all just stuck around one another all day.
    -HR/Recruiting – To be honest, what does this team even do here? Department with the least visibility when they should have the most. Communication within team is lacking - they always seem confused. Implementing new programs but can’t execute well (for example: Superheroes on Honey (new program) – why should we use that? At least give us an incentive to use it).
    -Executives – no clear direction - are any of them on the same page? Likes to blame lower level employees for anything that goes wrong.
    -Sales - fratty and clique-y. All the employees there seem to be more focused on personal drama and “having fun” than being professional.
    -Support - Why do we not hire more support agents when the rest of the company is growing so quickly? Shouldn’t support grow as well so we have enough people to actually support our customers? Sales has tripled over the past 2 years but support has barely hired on any FTE in that time frame, so who do they expect to support all our enterprise customers? The support agents make close to nothing and are always stressed out because there are so many support cases and not enough people to handle them all.
    -Open office floor plan - no sense of privacy. Impossible to “get away” to take a break. All phone booths and rooms have clear doors. Desk are all next to each other with no wall or separation. Can’t do anything without someone making a comment about it. It’s supposed to increase collaboration but it actually decreases productivity and makes everyone sick of each other.
    -Salary - VERY low pay compared to other tech companies in the area. How are employees supposed to survive in the Bay Area when pay is not up to market? Lots of “perks” but salary is very low and if raises do happen, they are not significant.
    -Awful computer systems - for a tech company, you would think the systems would be much better. Instead, they all crash and are slow and outdated. How do they expect employees to be productive when we spend all our time trying to fix our computers? IT is super responsive and helpful though.
    -PM team consistently roll out products and programs for customers without communicating beforehand with the teams that directly work with the customers ie support, marketing, sales. How do they expect these departments to properly do their jobs when PMs aren’t transparent?

Advice to Management

Take a look at yourselves first. LISTEN to employees when they voice concerns. Do MORE with the culture (or lack thereof).

Jun 6, 2017 – VP of People

Thanks for taking the time to write your review! I really appreciate you taking the time to give feedback on your experience. Please know Senior Management frequently checks these reviews, and your... More