MarineMax Reviews | Glassdoor

MarineMax Reviews

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MarineMax Chairman, President, and CEO William H. McGill Jr.
William H. McGill Jr.

"Marinemax"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at MarineMax full-time

Pros

Great technicians to work with and upper management is very friendly. Everyone is like a family member there. Very relaxed atmosphere even in a fast paced work place.

Cons

The company is a corporation so it is all about the money versus the people that bring in the money. It is nearly impossible to get a raise or get them to appreciate your sweat, blood, and tears while they sit in the air conditioning with their criticism on your work all because they don't have to give out a raise.

Advice to Management

Respect the people that battle the elements every day bring you the best marinas in the United States. Without good pay and benefits the workers moral and job performance starts to wither away. There is nothing worse than being at a place of work where they don't recognize you for the excellent work you produce with lack of pay.

2. "Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at MarineMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work hard you can make a lot of money. You get to meet some great people. Once in a while you get to take out the boats.

Cons

There are too many bosses. You never know who you should be taking orders from. Very cutthroat industry. Lead and customer "stealing" happens quite frequently. Not much room for growth. Your money is made on the weekends.

Advice to Management

Offer better compensation plans. Be more transparent with directions and the incentive programs.

3. "Business manager"

Former Employee - Business Manager in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Clearwater, FL

I worked at MarineMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the hours and pay scale where great

Cons

too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

Advice to Management

delegate responsibilities in each department.

5. "Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Clearwater, FL

I worked at MarineMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company and leadership in Marketing. There is lots of opportunity to be involved in everything from copy writing to supporting grassroots events at local stores. MarineMax uses Microsoft Dynamics CRM, so be prepared to be using this tool for marketing functions

Cons

There are no cons, MarineMax is an amazing place to work, especially in marketing. The Marketing department is relatively small. It's an ideal place to develop ideas and actually see them implemented.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep up the great work with the MarineMax brand. As part of selling Sea Ray, Boston Whaler and other high profile brands, MarineMax brand name is just as important.

"Get Onboard!"

Current Employee - Headquarters in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Headquarters in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at MarineMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would disregard the most recent complaint, I didn't get hired through any connections. I've worked all over the country and and since I transitioned my career with MarineMax two years ago, I couldn't be happier. It's true that boating success depends on the economy but MarineMax survived one of the most devestating recessions in history with flying colors. Don't believe me? Look at their quarter results. They just opened two more stores. But i'll break it down:

Culture: The company culture is great here, especially if you truly love boating. HR is always putting on events to bring people together. My department managers organize happy hours for us.

Wages: I've seen MarineMax offer a very competitive wage to talented people and truth is I'm making almost double vs. my previous employer in practically the same position. No complaints.

Work-life Balance: Vacation time offered is average but the company is very flexible. I have had numerous issues pop up and they have allowed me to work from home or take half days without any objections.

Vision: The owner's son is one of the most caring and genuine people I have worked with. He dishes out praise and takes the time to meet with other departments to see how employees are doing. I have always felt like a part of the team.

Benefits: Standard healthcare but not terrible. I've had some great plans in the past where I've had to pay $0 but those plans are nonexistent these days. So far I've had no trouble getting the doctors I want. The employee stock option plan is a great incentive and their 401k plan is matches much better than I previously had.

Cons

Only con I would have is the holiday calendar. We get very little national holidays off but I can't really complain when they often let us out early on Fridays.

Advice to Management

The company is doing well, keep up the great work into next quarter!

"This boat is in rough waters and sinking"

Former Employee - Individual Contributor in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Individual Contributor in Clearwater, FL

I worked at MarineMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay you market rate but health benefits are bad.

Cons

This is from headquarters:
    - People come and go. The turnover rate is high and people are fired on a whim. Those admins that were cool and friendly...all of the sudden poof and they're no longer with the company. Nobody talks about what happened. Employees that have been there for 5, 10, or even 20 years were suddenly let go. Sometimes they're replaced with a friend of the family (CEO) or someone with no clue and earning a lot less.
    - Seems like they're cutting every corner to save a penny. Christmas bonuses are nearly non-existent for regular employees and parties/events are the same. Executives on the other hand go on cruises and get rewarded very well.
    - Boating industry is very dependent on the economy. When things are bad, things are really bad. When things are good, things get slightly better.
    - They will constantly give you more work and ask you to work more hours if you are salary but raises are non-existent.
    - They have the worst health plan in the city and blame Obama for the rising costs that are shared with the employee. Doesn't make much sense.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your brother, son, cousin, friend, and instead hire some smart people with proven track record of success. Diversity is good.

"Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at MarineMax (More than a year)

Pros

Great travel for work and team atmosphere.

Cons

Poor hiring of upper management.

"It depends on your location"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at MarineMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits- a little expensive, but good coverage
    People- Co workers are great, locally and at the home office
    Hours- Variable schedule depending on weather
    Ability to be on the water, access to boats
    Great Customers....most are great peolpe

Cons

Fiefdoms on a regional basis..... napoleonic tendencies, with fascist overtones
    Refusal to make changes when needed....old relationships are more important than business decisions

Advice to Management

Rely on advice from location managers. Nothing changes until things change

10. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Clean in North Atwood, KS
    Former Employee - Clean in North Atwood, KS

I worked at MarineMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good at scheduling and laid back management

Cons

Having to bottom clean a boat

Advice to Management

You guys are great

"Great company... focused on its people."

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Orange Beach, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Orange Beach, AL

I worked at MarineMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Pay
    Relocation Opportunities
    Large Dealer Network
    Strong Training Programs
    Great Brand Portfolio

Cons

The biggest struggle I faced was the competing agendas among top management (C-Level), regional presidents, and general managers in relation to my career development. The lack of communication between each level and myself is what led me to pursue other opportunities.

Advice to Management

Open up the dialog a little more with your employees who wish to take on additional responsibilities.