MarineMax Reviews | Glassdoor

MarineMax Reviews

Updated November 3, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.1
MarineMax Chairman, President, and CEO William H. McGill Jr.
William H. McGill Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "MarineMax/Gulfwind (Tampa) and Team Support (Clearwater)"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant/ECommerce Sales Manager in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant/ECommerce Sales Manager in Clearwater, FL

I worked at MarineMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked my tail off on the sales floor and made myself available way beyond the call for extra events beyond boat shows by captaining Getaways excursions and working 7 days a week. I LOVED my job and to me, I didn't need time off as my wife also worked for the company - she would take the needed time off for kid's activities, etc, lol. I also assisted the sales teams in both Tampa and Clearwater on computer issues and eventually worked myself into a promotion to Team Support! Hello SALARY and M-F 7-3 and weekends off and Holidays PAID! I made it! I loved the work, until "life" got in the way and needed to resign for personal reasons, however, without a certain incident, I believe I'd still be there today and still loving every minute of it!

Cons

While in sales, I believe the commission splits when another SC got involved, should have been a smaller than a 1/3 slice - especially when I had done all the relationship building and time invested - and then a custom comes in wanting to buy while I was outside of the office for whatever reason and the other SC gets a 'lay down' and then received a 1/3 just for essentially printing a contract and getting a deposit. I would then still need to meet the customer to deliver the boat and do all that work. I believe a flat $100 for another SC to "assist" an active SC's account would be fair - NOT a 1/3. That's my only gripe.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Bill, Brett and the other guys there at Team Support - you're obviously doing all the right things! Miss being there!

2. "Pretty good place to work"

Former Employee - Mechanic
    Former Employee - Mechanic

I worked at MarineMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You do your job & they will pay you well for your time & effort.

Cons

It's a corporation. That can be good or bad for some people.

3. "Not enough promoting from within"

I have been working at MarineMax full-time

Pros

Positive work environment, nice facilities

Cons

Not much opportunity for advancement for most employees, most of the management seems to be brought in from outside. Pretty obvious you are just a number to the folks at HQ

Advice to Management

Recognize hard work and dedication to the company, sometimes with more than just a pat on the back.

4. "No advancement or"

Pros

new office that is decently nice

Cons

management is deaf to employees and focused on old ideas

5. "Extremely supportive"

Current Employee - Manager in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Wilton, CT

I have been working at MarineMax full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work at MarineMax is because we change peoples lives. You only live once, why not experience life on the water.

Cons

There's only so much sunlight in the day. Boating in the Northeast is short, never really realized we ship our customer boats north-south seamlessly.

Advice to Management

Passion days out on the water with the team needs to be mandatory

"The Marine industry is very challenging."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lewisville, TX

I worked at MarineMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you have the goods you can make a pile of money. Recreational boating is a lot of fun and the culture of the industry tends to reflect that trait. Given the seasonal nature of boating management is often very flexible with employee scheduling during the slow seasons.

Cons

Given the small percentage of Americans who actually purchase recreational boats the sales pie, so to speak, is very small and there are always a lot of hands reaching for a slice, especially from within the dealership itself. Competition is fierce and you either sink or swim in this industry (no pun intended). You have to develop top-notch sales skills to maintain long-term success. Nepotism and politics can be a bit of a problem in this industry. The playing field is hardly ever level and a person will often windup on either the benefiting or suffering side of unfairness.

7. "Accounting Associate"

I worked at MarineMax full-time

Pros

Great people with high work ethics, some very knowledgeable and competent managers.

Cons

High deductible Health Plan

Advice to Management

Could be a little more employee friendly

"Not for the little guy..."

Former Employee - Headquarters in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Headquarters in Clearwater, FL

I worked at MarineMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most folks are friendly. Work schedules are the norm.

Cons

Company is growing & incredibly profitable. Financials are public check them out. However, this company just laid off tons of folks. No raises or acknowledgement from managers during time there. If you aren't an executive you don't count. Executives go on company paid trips & are highly compensated, lower level employees get a whopping $100 Christmas bonus. Does that sound right for a BILLION dollar company?

Advice to Management

Offer higher wages & make all employees feel valued. Not just sales staff, executives, & family members. Offer opportunities for advancement & treat people fairly. Stop pinching pennies when it comes to PTO & benefits.

"Take Advantage of Customers"

Former Employee - Sales in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Sales in Clearwater, FL

I worked at MarineMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cons

The pricing is way out of line. They call it free go boating package. There is nothing free. Way over priced. It's like a bad car dealership!

Advice to Management

Stop the greed.

10. "Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at MarineMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work hard you can make a lot of money. You get to meet some great people. Once in a while you get to take out the boats.

Cons

There are too many bosses. You never know who you should be taking orders from. Very cutthroat industry. Lead and customer "stealing" happens quite frequently. Not much room for growth. Your money is made on the weekends.

Advice to Management

Offer better compensation plans. Be more transparent with directions and the incentive programs.