Marketsmith Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 18, 2019

4.3
Monica C. Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Each employee is intelligent and it is refreshing to be surrounded by smart people each day" (in 3 reviews)

• "I still learn something new every day" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Requests to upper management and HR often go unheard which leads to a high rate of employee turnover" (in 3 reviews)

• "Find more young, hungry, smart and qualified people who want to make a difference faster" (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Prepare to be Challenged, and Rewarded"

Current Employee - EVP in Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Current Employee - EVP in Cedar Knolls, NJ

I have been working at Marketsmith full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good, smart people that challenge one another to be better versions of themselves. An intense intellectual curiosity permeates the company that sparks inspiring, sometimes challenging questions and invigorating debate. A great mix of large national and regional clients as well as smaller ones offers wonderful opprtunity for exciting work and personal growth. The technology that is created here is nothing short of breathtaking. The company is dedicated to its clients and their outcomes, and is just as dedicated to its employees their personal outcomes. It's a place where people have one another's back--not stab one another in the back. It's not for everyone, and that's what makes it so refreshing and rewarding. CEO demands a lot from her people, but also gives a lot back, cares, and is utterly transparent (in the good way).

Cons

The location is lovely, but a little sleepy.

"Great experience working with Marketsmith"

Pros

This is a great company with great company culture. My short time with the company as a Marketing Associate was great and a was a great learning experience in my young professional life.

Cons

Could not find any cons

"Great company"

Former Employee - Client Performance in Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Former Employee - Client Performance in Cedar Knolls, NJ

I worked at Marketsmith full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really talented people. Everyone works hard. Awesome teamwork. The best of the best. Technology is great.

Cons

A ton of new business. Very fast moving.

Advice to Management

Happy to be a part of something great.

"Top heavy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Knolls, NJ

Pros

Free snacks and drinks. Nice couches

Cons

Management top heavy, disorganized and they play the blame game.

Advice to Management

You talk a good game about the day to day staff being important, but you really don’t care. You hire and promote senior management, but leave the everyone else to drown in work.

"Dream Team"

Current Employee - Media Analyst in Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Current Employee - Media Analyst in Cedar Knolls, NJ

I have been working at Marketsmith full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are a great company of smart, talented and kind people. Each week I see or participate in the growing of our clients businesses. We are recognized by our clients, the CEO and by the new executives in leadership frequently for going above and beyond and even telling us we are loved. The work and the atmosphere is exciting, always something new happening. The office is fun decorated crazy for Halloween, getting ready for Bring Dinner Home and we just finished Penny Wars. Our hearts and our minds are always working for someone or something. Laughing and being good teammates is at the heart of what we do. We are a dream team.

Cons

The company keeps getting better overtime. Meetings are run better, workloads are distributed to all and there is a lot of it for everyone. The atmosphere now that certain management is gone is calmer. Existing clients are growing and new business is exciting we have to always be hiring. Looking for true talent that helps consistently not pretends to be active. Everyone is participating. We need great talent, do not hire anymore drama ridden old agency players that do not want to make an impact or complainers that do not want to learn new tools or just feed off of us. Find more young, hungry, smart and qualified people who want to make a difference faster.

Advice to Management

This is a really good place with really good people that are doing really good things, we must make sure we stay a team. It makes a difference when executives are in the foxhole working side by side with us. It is impressive the collaboration levels in the organization and the number of clients that want to come and be in this environment with us. I believe it also speaks volumes to where we are. We have something very special and each department is now so talented. It is important to always focus on the glue that keeps us strong no more distractions and no more drama.

"Smart and Caring People"

Current Employee - Vice President in Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Cedar Knolls, NJ

I have been working at Marketsmith full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smartest people in one place.
    An agency that has evolved overtime and never gives up on its people or it’s clients.
    Fun events.
    Community focused.
    Continuous learning.
    Leadership is the best it has ever been.
    All the teams are using IP it is awesome.

Cons

New leadership engagement and practices shook up the agency for the better. A few folks went away because of it, that was good. But it was hard short term.

Clients are coming on fast and we have high expectations .

Learning curve is fast if you don’t work smart this is not an easy place.

Advice to Management

Never stop pushing all of us to be the best we can be. Please do not let those that have challenges home and bring them here and they stay too long. Sometimes you are to nice.

"Work Hard, Play Hard"

I have been working at Marketsmith full-time

Pros

I’ve been an employee at Marketsmith for two years now. I started with little experience and have since been given endless opportunities to learn and grow my career. Marketsmith is a place that you get what you put in. If you work hard and are motivated to do well by your clients, you will be rewarded and recognized to no end by your colleagues. You work with amazing, smart marketing and advertising professionals who have been in the industry for decades. You will never stop learning as your clients constantly challenge you and push you forward. If you’re interested in learning all things marketing and advertising (digital/traditional/etc.) and work on a diverse set of businesses, this is the place for you!

Cons

Marketsmith is not for everyone in that it pushes you to your limits at times. Your work can be challenging with short deadlines. There are some long nights. You must be superior in time management and confident in your work.

Advice to Management

Continue to push those willing to learn and succeed. Always value work / life balance as work should not always come first. Promote a stress-free environment. Implement senior leadership that can make fundamental changes in the way the agency functions.

"A master of illusion"

I have been working at Marketsmith full-time

Pros

While my overall view of Marketsmith is rather bitter, there are many genuinely good people at the company that bring their all and create incredible things. There is immense talent in the building, but those that have that spark tend to be the ones that are overworked and burn out. The facility is relatively clean, well decorated (as long as you don’t mind red), has good snacks (though not very healthy), and a great couch area to work at, eat lunch or just decompress. Marketsmith has the potential to be the perfect job for someone, but for many it spirals into a nightmare.
    The biggest positive of working at Marketsmith is that it does prepare you to work anywhere else—if you can find a way to navigate the stress and management here, any other job you ever hold will seem easy by comparison.

Cons

Marketsmith is a master of illusion. While some employees do thoroughly enjoy working here, many are miserable and looking for an out—just because there are smiles in the pictures they post online, doesn’t mean they are actually happy. Work/ life balance is only a real thing for some, with the same group of people being the ones that are overworked constantly. I can only speak to my own experience, but during my time at MSI, I’ve been completely drained of all life. I worked a minimum of 10 hours a day, with many weeks exceeding 60 or even 70 hours. When I asked for support, the request was ignored for months. There is growth and development, but so much of it is self-taught because there is no real mentorship. Award recognition, praise and promotions are sometimes well earned by employees, but often they get political or they go to the managers of the people that actually did the work. There is definite undermining within the company, with some upper management taking credit for the work their reports did, or just stubbornness where management doesn’t want to believe they don’t always know what is best. While the fear tactics have gotten much better over the past year or two, they still exist with the possibility of getting screamed at residing as a fear in the back of everyone’s minds. Maybe if the pay was better, this would all be a bit more tolerable.

Advice to Management

Foster an environment that matches that of what you post online.

"Room to Grow, Opportunity to Shine"

Current Employee - Senior Executive in Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Executive in Cedar Knolls, NJ

I have been working at Marketsmith full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A supportive, nurturing environment with all of the benefits of working with large, successful clients on campaigns that deliver real outcomes for clients without the hollow drama, poor value proposition, and lack of real commitment to client success you see at larger agencies. Visionary CEO is truly committed to the people here.

Cons

Hard to find people qualified people quickly enough to staff open roles.

"A Great Workplace for the Right Individuals"

I have been working at Marketsmith full-time

Pros

If you want to feel that your work, ideas, initiatives and contributions are making a difference to the company and/or the client, this is the place to be. If you have a thirst for knowledge about the ever changing world of marketing, and applying that knowledge to real life business challenges, you will love this place. You will be working with a diverse, fun, energetic, smart group of professionals who give all they've got to make a difference.

Cons

If you're looking for a 9 to 5 job with no connections to your co-workers, this is not the place for you. If you need to be spoon fed everything you want/need to know, keep looking for something else.