MasterControl Reviews | Glassdoor

Jon Beckstrand

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - SQA Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - SQA Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at MasterControl full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great approachable and reactive management team
    -Open Agile environment
    -Great peers (almost everyone that works there is an exceptional person that is skilled or quickly gaining the skills they need to fill their role)
    -Fitness clubs (soccer, hiking, cycling, fencing etc)
    -Stand/Sit desk options
    -Great team environment
    -Competative benefits

Cons

-no 401k matching
    -possibly growing to quickly some growing pains with ramping up and training all the new people

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and keep the culture fun!

2. "Highly Satisfying"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at MasterControl full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is, hands down, the best company I've worked for. I've worked for a few others and interviewed at even more and MasterControl stands out above the rest. The company really cares and is constantly trying to improve. Upper Management is approachable and friendly. The culture is amazing. This is a very unique company who's product actually helps improve the world.

Other Pros:
    - High trust environment
    - You receive appreciation and recognition for a job well done
    - Employee empowerment
    - Very understanding and flexible schedule
    - Fun company events and activities
    - Company condo's
    - Most of the benefits that "great companies to work for" offer, MasterControl offers
    - Fitibts for everyone
    - Fitbit challenges with great awards
    - Training budget
    - Fitness clubs
    - 40 hour work week
    - Work from home program
    - Sensible business model
    - Great new building
    - Free snacks
    - They really care about their employees and it shows
    - They invest a lot in their employees to help them be the best they can be in their careers

Cons

- There technically is a matching 401k, but to have the employer contribute, you'll need to pay part of your health insurance premium
    - Experience can vary by department, but overall they're all great to be a part of
    - If you're not self-motivated, your experience may vary
    - Some parts of the Software Development Process aren't as Agile as others (but it's improving quickly)

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Don't forget where you came from, stay humble, and keep doing what you're doing. Matching 401k would be nice.

"Decent company, outdated product"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at MasterControl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Most of the people I dealt with were pleasant and hardworking.
    -Benefits are better than most places out there.
    -Company makes an effort to improve the office environment via fitness clubs and other types of fun activities.
    -Upper management is usually pretty transparent and approachable.
    -Company is modest in terms of its growth strategy which I found to be a breath of fresh air.

Cons

-The core product is buggy and outdated despite efforts to update the UI to a flashier new version. Attempts to have internal development teams fix bugs usually fell flat. Several senior team members left during my tenure due to a growing sense of frustration that upper management wasn't receptive to advice or critical feedback.

- Most of the management team has been with the company for 15+ years which is both good and bad. While most of the management team was decent enough to work with, my direct report was not. There was a feeling amongst my team that my manager was 'untouchable' due to the amount of time he's invested. His overbearing and overly-critical management style is ultimately what pushed me out the door.

Advice to Management

Take employee/manager feedback seriously.

5. "Never Leaving"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

MasterControl is by far the best company I've ever worked for. They are truly invested in the success of each employee. The culture is collaborative and team oriented. They do a lot of fun events and activities. There is a great work/life balance in the most employee-centric environment I've worked in. It's awesome to see employees move up and around the company and the support of management behind it. The new building will be great as well!

I LOVE the flexibility of the benefit allowance. Either 100% medical premium coverage or thousands for a 401K = awesome.

Cons

Any cons I could think of seem trivial when compared to other companies.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

6. "Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at MasterControl (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy is key to a company's success, and management works with new employees very well, and let's seasoned employees do their work successfully. Very reward driven, taking care of us!

Cons

none that i can think

"Energizing Culture and Smart People!"

Current Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at MasterControl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This may end of being the best job I ever had. I assumed that it was normal to dread going to work, until I got a job at MasterControl. There is always something fun going on, they do a lot for their employees, and they live their core values (not just hang them on the wall somewhere). I am surrounded by smart professionals and I am proud to call them colleagues. The company pays 100% healthcare and promotes healthy living. New building location is being designed and is looking to be quite nice.

Cons

Not many cons but every company has a few. No 401K match. Open seating takes some getting used. By the book budgeting and utilization targets may overshadow common sense occasionally. Poor meeting etiquette company-wide.

Advice to Management

Please don't lose all the cool things that make this company so fun to work for even if MasterControl is growing fast. There is a reason so many employees have worked here for over 10 years.....keep it that way!!!

"Best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Management in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Management in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at MasterControl full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is amazing. Midsize growing company with a small company feel.The level of industry expertise is off the charts. Exceptional people all around. I am driven to be my best and continually pushed by those around me. The employee benefits are very competitive - great insurance and plenty of PTO. I have been able to grow my career here with internal promotions. Good pay and great people! I love what I do and who I do with!

Cons

It would be nice to have 401K match or some kind of alternative but no real complaint about the benefits.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Continue to keep the culture and benefits.

"Regional Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great company, great market, ok products, great service. overall good people

Cons

just an ok product. It does the job, but should be a lot better

Advice to Management

improve the products

"LOVE IT!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

So many pros - great people, medical premiums are covered 100%, fitness clubs, company events, employee recognition (quarterly/annually), snack program, ping pong, soda machine, massage therapist, beautiful building, flex scheduling available, work/life balance, opportunity for growth, etc. It is awesome! Love working here.

Cons

There's nothing significant to report.

"Great company culture but terrible feeling of self-worth"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at MasterControl full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company does a great job with scheduling events for their employees and company meetings were well constructed

Cons

Opportunity to advance was extremely limited. Advancement was based on seniority over actual performance. Higher level positions were filled with external applicants which led to decisions not centered on strong employees. Pay was not competitive with other similar positions outside of the company. Medical benefits will force employees to take out a second mortgage due to high deductible only plans.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Don't hire people to an executive level who have not been able to truly connect with current employees. Those type of decisions lead to loss of valuable employees that are tired of being nothing more than disposable chess pieces.