KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

MasterControl Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2021

Found 111 of over 117 reviews

4.1
MasterControl CEO Jon Beckstrand (no image)
Jon Beckstrand
Pros
  • "Good employee culture and work life balance - HR puts a lot of effort into really good events(in 20 reviews)

• "Great people, excellent environment, lots of perks with free snacks and drinks(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "401k match is low compared to previous employers(in 5 reviews)

• "Health Insurance is free, but has a high deductible(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company with awesome benefits

Jul 6, 2021 - Data Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great employee benefits such as paid insurance, activities, and many office events,

Cons

MasterControl is still developing its processes which isnt a bad thing. It means you need to hit the ground running and show up.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

People and employees come first.

Jul 2, 2021 - Engineer Manager in Cottonwood Heights, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been at MasterControl for a little over 3 years now, and I think it's safe to say I understand the business enough to leave a review. If anyone is familiar with the Arbinger principles, this pretty much sums up MasterControl. They try their hardest to see people as people. This was proven to me shortly after I started. It was my second day. I had invited my family to eat lunch with me. We're outside eating and one of the Executive VPs walked up, knew my name, and started shooting the breeze with my family. I know he had a lot of other things he could have been doing, but he took the time to learn about us. Since that day, I've been in a lot of leadership meetings. MC wants each person to have a positive leadership experience, and they empower their leaders to help make the best choices for their teams. I'll work at MC as long as they'll have me.

Cons

Although they are constantly pushing for positive culture and leadership, keeping the pendulum of positive culture held high is a tough problem to solve. We recently went through a small phase where I could feel the culture drop a bit, but HR was very aware and started trying to fix the problems immediately. I guess if I had to come up with some advice, I'd let HR know they can reach out to any leaders and solicit ways to make things even better. The leaders can then reach out to their teams and come up with ideas that represent changes that positively impact the employees at an individual level.

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Lead don't follow.

Jul 4, 2021 - Software Engineer in Cottonwood Heights, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

I think the humans are fantastic, one on one. You can have a fantastic lunch and personal relationship with anyone there. They hire genuinely kind people who wish to see you succeed in your career. They avoid, or try to resolve, drama and for the most part my 4.5 years there have been super chill, no drama and a great place to make good lasting friendships. HR really wants to have a good culture and sometimes maybe come off as trying too hard to fix something that isn't broken. The culture, the social aspect of the job particularly, is the best part of the job.

Cons

There isn't a good work load distribution, there are people who work much harder and much longer hours than the less motivated individuals such as myself. That can't possibly be healthy. If you look up the pareto distribution I believe the workload naturally follows this pattern and I think having smaller teams help redistribute the load but also puts a ton of pressure on one or two individuals. I felt particularly guilty letting my small team down when things got very hard for me and my family during the pandemic. I lost my mother as we welcomed our son into our growing family and my wife became very ill. The team and management swarmed around me to help which was literally life saving. However, the pressure I felt to establish and maintain new expectations as I balanced life at home and work was too much for me and I broke. Several black swan events contributed to me breaking mentally. The silver lining was how amazing it was to see how the team and managers worked together to help me and others make it though a rough year. I also saw employees donate their PTO to others in need. It was great to see the individuals step up in those times of need, I just wish there were less of those times of need. Had we had more than one week of paid paternity leave I believe we would have been much better off. I didn't plan financially to take the 3 months off because my wife and I didn't think we would need it. But I was wrong, covid hit. My wife had a very rough pregnancy, and weeks after my son was born my mother unexpectedly died from complications that would have been resolved in a normal year. There was no way I could carry my weight at work. They lightened my load, gave me time to recover, but l still couldn't alleviate my guilt and my fear of loosing my job because I couldn't pull myself up by my bootstraps. My wife's post partum was very hard on her. At one point her doctor thought she was showing signs for multiple sclerosis. I was finally given notice at work that I needed to up my contributions and I believe that became too much for me as I pulled out all the stops and focused only on work so I didn't loose my job and my health insurance. I was torn in two as my wife struggled to manage things at home as I desperately tried to focus my mental faculties enough to produce and avoid being written up. I wanted to just be allowed to not think or worry about work so I could focus on my families health, but that just wasn't in the cards as far as I could see, and I was not seeing clearly. To be fair, this is the system we all have to work with, and I now see why people say you should save up for these black swan events even before you pay down student loans or invest in a house. I should have listened to Dave Ramsey, I get it. But I didn't think things could get thaaaat bad. So I adjusted my risk management according to my overly optimistic world view. So I don't know how to rank this company when it makes up just a small part of the cooperate and social model that needs fundamental repairs. The pareto distribution of wealth has gone wild and it is becoming harder and harder for more and more people to fulfil their basic needs. I'm in an above average paying career! I can't imagine the year the rest of the world must have had and it broke me when as I woke up to see how bad things have gotten. My two grandpas fought in WWII for their baby boomer children who then went on to fight in other wars. My fathers father watched his best friend give his life in WWII. They all fought for a better world than this. I am one of millions in this country who fall into the unemployment gap because we can't check the right boxes as to why we are shattered. I will survive without unemployment, it'll just set me back on paying down studdent debts, but to the rest of those who really need it, I hope they can find what they need and I am changing my career path to see what I can do to help fix this broken system. I can't write another line of code until we fix the real pipeline issue, I learned that from working here. Pull the red lever, stop the train, get the thing back on track. I understand we can't all do that, and I am in a privileged position to now work towards that end, and maybe all I can do is come on sites like these and write out my two cents, but it sure makes more sense to me to do that than try and write average code. I will miss working with the people though. I should stop rambling, but I just want to say this. In my heart I want to leave this company all 5 star reviews, the people are great, but they have adopted so many industry standards rather than lead the industry. I think they could do more.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

Amazing place to work

Jul 3, 2021 - Software Administrator in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and culture. Innovative company full of smart and hard working people.

Cons

We don’t have unlimited PTO

5. 5.0

Great product, Great company, Great People

May 27, 2021 - Product Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mastercontrol has a great culture that emphasizes supporting people and making it a fun place to work. The MasterControl product has real impacts that help make life saving (and some just fun) products easier to develop, manufacture, and ensure quality.

Cons

Growth is both a good thing and a hard thing. Adapting to the changing environment means some trial and error as we address new challenges within the company and with the growing client base.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee

Misguided

Jun 22, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

You'll learn a lot. Dev managers legitimately care about you and your progress as a developer and a person.

Cons

Program teams and management are fully off in their own world. The lack of focus and direction as a company is startling.. It's like some exec hears a buzzword and that's the new focus for the company.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great people and decent place to work

Jan 25, 2021 - Labs in Cottonwood Heights, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people The company is always striving to always improve HR is awesome to work with Company management is very enthusiastic Compensation is good The employee recognition program is great Pretty good compared to other companies in Utah

Cons

I can only speak for the Labs department of MC when it comes to cons: Poor communication Divide in engineering/architecture/product (which comes from poor leadership communication) There have been several empty promises from labs management Lack of diversity - the majority of labs are white males with some females but even the female diversity is lacking in ethnicity. Too many pointless meetings The amount of drastic changes in Labs have been hard to keep up with and it's getting really exhausting. People are moving all over the place and worrying about the stability/viability of their jobs.

4 people found this review helpful

MasterControl Response

Talent Acquisition Manager

We really appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. Thank you so much for recognizing our efforts to continuously improve; we are always looking for new ways to grow, develop, celebrate, and recognize our people. We are sorry to hear that the recent changes in our engineering department have been difficult. As you know, we are currently in the middle of a massive Greenfield project and we are changing a lot of our processes, tools, and technologies to keep up with customer demand - and that can surely be stressful. This is a great reminder that we can do better at communicating change within the organization so thank you for that feedback! As for diversity, we agree on the importance of differing perspectives within an organization. We are committed to hiring the best candidates from the most diverse candidate pool that we can - and we are so excited to see more diversity within our engineering department in the near future. Thanks again for leaving us a review and please don't hesitate to reach out to HR with any questions or if you want to continue this conversation!

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best company I've ever worked for

May 27, 2021 - Enterprise Support Engineer in Cottonwood Heights, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome culture, room for growth, helpful collaboration within teams, very generous benefits allowance that covers the cost of health insurance for families.

Cons

The workload is a bit high but management does a good job setting realistic expectiations

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Collaborative Team Culture

Jun 2, 2021 - Software Quality Engineer in Cottonwood Heights, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people work here. I was on an awesome team and we worked well together. Fun perks and benefits are decent.

Cons

Very top heavy management organization.

MasterControl Response

Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for leaving us a review! So glad to hear you love the people and the perks. Sorry to hear you feel it is a top-heavy company. We do try our best to get insight from individual contributors and make decisions based on what's best for our customers and our employees. Feel free to reach out to HR if you want to discuss further.

10. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great Company

May 26, 2021 - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

People are all great to work with.

Cons

The product although good, is on an older tech stack.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 111 Reviews