Measured Progress Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Martin Borg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work/life balance and flexibility as a working parent are the best I have seen" (in 7 reviews)

• "Great people to work with - dedicated to doing what is right and best" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "long hours, understaffed programs, upper management expects too much from low and mid-level staff" (in 8 reviews)

• "Poor decision making has crippled the group" (in 4 reviews)

"Nearly 6 years with Measured Progress"

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent time off benefits, competitive health benefit package, flexibility with your schedule, supportive team-based structure, access to senior leadership, open communication about state of the company, training, numerous fun company events throughout the year.

Cons

No major cons to speak of. Every job comes with good days and not-so-good days. At Measured Progress, they are mostly good days. In the team-based structure I work within, we support each other and do our very best to minimize and proactively mitigate unforeseen circumstances that lead to the "fire drills" that are often the reason behind not-so-good work days.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership has done a lot over the past several year to mitigate the "peaks and valleys" of the state contract-based educational assessment landscape. Efforts to diversify the business and tap into new revenue streams is ongoing and have been met with success. My advice would be to maintain the focus on designing and building a cohesive client-facing suite of assessment technology platforms.

"Layoffs, again"

Current Employee - Manager in Dover, NH

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, decent benefits, flexible environment

Cons

Unclear direction, annual layoffs, little chance for advancement

Advice to Management

The ED industry may be changing, but MP needs to find its footing and fast. Layoffs year after year have meant many talented people have been cut loose or just left, and everyone left is worried they'll be next. Relying more heavily on temps and H1b visa contractors doesn't help. Quality suffers.
    The work this company does is important and many great people work here, but thick with middle managers and direction from senior management is vague at best.

"Please really consider what you are getting into...do your research!"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dover, NH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dover, NH

I worked at Measured Progress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and nice campus. I was fortunate to meet a handful of people that where willing to support IT efforts and were wonderful to work with.

Cons

If you are looking for a job where favoritism is the norm, clients run the show, you will will have no support from your manager, no clear direction, no process to follow, no voice to be heard, instability (yearly layoffs), then this is the place for you!

Advice to Management

Needs a complete overhaul.

"Leadership and Directional Strength Lacking"

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent, bright and committed people. Great work done for students. Good benefits.

Cons

Unstable and out of touch leadership. Lower than fitting salaries. Poor strategic vision and decision making.

Advice to Management

What does an annual layoff and confusing messages say about a company? Perhaps it is time for a change in leadership?

"Program management"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Dover, NH
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Dover, NH

I worked at Measured Progress full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with - dedicated to doing what is right and best. Wiling to work together and explain how best to accomplish the necessary tasks

Cons

The clients run the company - it's hard to stand firm against customer
    demands. We were expected to cater to these requests even if they were outside the scope of the project.

Advice to Management

Support the program managers - they are caught between administrators and clients and it's hard to please both. One group will always feel let down.

"Unstable"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Dover, NH

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people, Benefits

Cons

Weak CEO, Mission is always changing or not accepted by all employees, Executive team run the company and as new folks come in the CEO follows their lead; lots of mixed messages. Because of this constant changes, the company is unstable and employees wait for who will be laid off next, or what department will be restructured or eliminated.

"Stop Linking Dissent to Tenure"

Former Employee - Statistical Analyst in Dover, NH
    Former Employee - Statistical Analyst in Dover, NH

I worked at Measured Progress full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice physical work space, good benefits, so-so salary, great colleagues. Seacoast location is another plus!

Cons

Each time a handful of key employees leaves the organization, a flurry of hyper-positive reviews appears on this site, whitewashing unbiased and unfiltered reviews of working at this organization. Is Measured Progress perfect? No. Is any organization? Absolutely not. But, to gloss over the imperfections, and to communicate a message of near-ideal state operating conditions, does a disservice not only to prospective employees, but to current employees, too. Shame!

Many reviews point to work-life balance. If you're one of the lucky few (as in, you work in a pure overhead department, and do not directly contribute to the bottom line), then, yes, this is a great place to work, and work-life balance is phenomenal! If you work in a department that directly contributes to the bottom line (aka - the people with skills in demand), you do not work a regular 37.5 hour work week, and you have a significantly diminished chance of enjoying any semblance of sustained work-life balance.

Professional development and training opportunities? Sure, these exist, I suppose, but they are entirely subjective and based on the whims of your manager. As do promotions, corresponding titles, pay, etc., almost exclusively based on who your "buddies" are within the organization. It's transparent, and with each move, trust and confidence continue to erode. Keep patting yourself, and your pals, on the back. For an education company, there sure is a penchant for elevating people without, err, actual education!

And, to address the cliche "volatility in this industry" blanket excuse for poor decision-making and leadership capabilities, if leadership was doing its job, industry changes and shifts wouldn't be a surprise that trigger a knee-jerk reaction, they would be anticipated, planned for, and either mitigated or exploited. This is basic business 101. Please, stop trying to play the cheerleader role, when it's painfully obvious that many of you rushing to provide this defense are, completely and woefully, inadequately prepared to be successful in your own roles. I know, reality is a tough pill to swallow, but you're continuing to lose more and more of your senior members. Ironically, you'll try to entice them to stay, but you'll simultaneously tell them that you don't need them, and take to these boards to single them out as being "difficult" or "stubborn." Consider this, please: perhaps these people know more than the less experienced and ill informed members of your team, and instead of identifying them as being difficult or resistant to change, maybe they're trying to save the village idiot from making a fool of himself?

Advice to Management

Stop treating your experienced people as a liability. People don't simply resist change to resist it. That's absolutely silly! Experienced people do, however, resist stupid, unnecessary, or ill-defined change. Don't allow these people to continue to leave the organization. Encourage them to stay, to grow, and to find new ways to support the organization. Measured Progress does incredible work. But that work requires incredible people. You're slowly filling your ranks with mediocre sycophants who'll abandon you when it's most convenient for them. Get rid of the people that play office politics. Send packing those who protect their immediate peers at the detriment of the organization and its clients. Stop the bleeding while there's still a chance to retain key talent; otherwise, your competitors are going to reap the benefits, at the organization's expense.

"Proud of my work"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dover, NH

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for about 5 years and I've seen us make various transitions to keep pace with, understand and anticipate an exceptionally volatile industry. Through all of the challenges the focus has remained on the students. I'm exceptionally proud of this and the people I work with. The group I work with in particular is really amazing. We pull together and get things done when the chips are down. This is an incredibly complex business with lots of moving parts but we always get the work done and the pride the group feels is obvious. I truly enjoy the work and the people.

Cons

If you're looking for typical beige corporate environments then this is not the place for you. If you're inflexible, hate change or just want to do the same thing over and over, day in and day out, this is NOT the place for you. If you don't enjoy being challenged and discovering what you're made of then this company is a hard pass for you. Could I make more money elsewhere?.. Perhaps, but there's a reason I've been here for 5 years.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the students and how to get the most from the assessments they take... and force Stuart to speak at company functions, he's always a breath of fresh air.

"Specialist"

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time

Pros

Some very interesting and hard working people work at Measured Progress

Cons

This company does not know how to build a strong relationship with it's employees.

People in Management positions have no skills nor knowledge of Management techniques. Just because you have a degree in education does not mean you know how to lead. All activities are developed and managed under a "crisis mode". Nobody knows were or how to start a process to really develop quality products. Management believes in over promising , and End of the year reports are based on a "best scenario" situation, accounting for contracts they have not acquired. Leading to a panic situation when yearly profits do not happen.

"Great environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dover, NH

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment and benefits! It has Positive work atmosphere. It is a great learning opportunity and a good place to get my feet wet in the program management arena.

Cons

There have been ups and downs, but it seems to me that it is mostly because the industry is always changing and we are a small company competing in a crowded market. Due to the frequent industry shifts, it can be difficult to plan for the future. This requires employees to remain flexible in their priorities. Sometimes, this can be a challenge and there are many who are not comfortable with change.