Measured Progress Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Martin Borg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work/life balance and flexibility as a working parent are the best I have seen (in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits - lots of vacation time (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Company needs to review upper management (in 8 reviews)

• Terrible wages for the education required to perform the job; has a reputation for annual lay-offs (in 4 reviews)

1. "Technical report document specialist"

I worked at Measured Progress (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

prone to layoffs due to funding.

"True to it's mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dover, NH

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a not-for-profit that truly believes that every business move made will improve learning for students. I took this job because I trust in that mission and feel that everyone that works at Measured Progress believes the same.

The expectation to work hard and produce quality work is equally met with a focus on family first. With a young family, I greatly appreciate that. I don't feel like I am overworked or under paid. I also know that management has my back and supports my professional and personal goals.

In the end, it's about enjoying the people around me. I really enjoy coming to work because I get to work with a group of smart, dedicated, and professional people.

Cons

Due to the frequent industry shifts, it can be difficult to plan for the future. This requires employees to remain flexible in their priorities. Sometimes, this can be a challenge and there are many who are not comfortable with change.

"Great Environment, Great People, Great Employer!"

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Benefits are fabulous! I'm the envy of all of my friends. The amount of personal time given is unheard of, the 401k plan is unmatched by anyone around, and the company culture is very open.

The company puts a lot of emphasis on the company culture being flexible, open, and very supportive. They support professional growth of employees through a variety of programs. They succeed in producing a relaxed, yet hard working, deadline driven environment. The work can be hard at times, which is normal for any deadline driven company, but we're all in it together and we're all working to a common goal.

Cons

More so than any specific cons to Measured Progress, it's the industry of large scale assessment that gets my attention. The industry itself is an ever changing landscape. The industry responds to many state and federal education initiatives, which can swing rapidly from year to year, or election to election. It's unfortunate, but I believe Measured Progress does a great job of adapting, and responding to changes swiftly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep treating your employees with gratitude, and respect, and we will do the same in return.

"Wonderful Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dover, NH

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance
    37.5 hour work weeks
    PTO given up front
    Great benefits
    Positive work atmosphere
    Casual dress code
    Free Coffee
    Company is not for profit so money is reinvested into the company and it's employees which is appreciated
    They keep you busy without being overworked or overstressed
    They have a charitable contribution committee which donates money to the community, education programs, and scholarships
    Company had multiple events throughout the year to boost morale and make the work environment fun
    Paid volunteer days either for company sponsored volunteer work or volunteer work that you may be involved in on your own
    Communication on the current status of the business is transparent to all employees
    The President is wonderful and really gets to know all of the employees that work there
    This is a company where you are not just a number but a valued asset to the business

Cons

I think the only con I have is that there are some people who have been there so long and have been doing things the same way for so long that they are resistant to change and process improvement which holds the company back in some ways.

Advice to Management

My advice to Management would be to reach out to employees a bit more to get their feedback on new ideas and improvements they may have .

"Building valuable skills within a great team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dover, NH

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Measured Progress is a great place to work. The work/life balance and flexibility as a working parent are the best I have seen. The company also has many female executives which is really refreshing. I greatly appreciate the fact that whatever training or professional development I may need in my job, I am able to take part. I feel that over the course of my employment, I have grown so much professionally with skills that are truly valued within my department and the company. Plus, I love the people I work with.

Cons

There have been ups and downs, but it seems to me that it is mostly because the industry is always changing and we are a small company competing in a crowded market.

"Walk Away, It Is Not Worth It!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dover, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dover, NH

I worked at Measured Progress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, hard working low and mid-level employees

Cons

I had high hopes for this company and it was the worst job experience of my life. I took a large pay cut to work here because I was sold on advancement opportunities. Once I began working, I was told I only had enough experience to be hired, not promoted. I was given more and more work and watched all of my amazing, under valued co-workers drown. Many of them cried every day. I left of my own accord and for my own sanity.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites and appreciate the good employees that are left. When someone is a bad employee, fire them. Don’t promote them, create a job for them, or change their department.

"If I could leave 0 stars I would"

Pros

Benefits, PTO, free lunches sometimes

Cons

Office politics, drama, rude managers without any management experience, HR is non responsive to employee concerns, you will get laid off if you voice concerns.

"The Assessment Industry's Dumpster Fire"

Current Employee - Analyst in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Analyst in Dover, NH

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you'd have asked me to describe the pros about working at Measured Progress a year or two ago, I'd have rattled off a laundry list of awesome things; however, at this point, the only good thing left about working here is the camaraderie that the front line employees demonstrate. This camaraderie has been forged over time, through demonstrated ability and mutual respect, and is what keeps the remaining talented employees breaking their backs to meet unrealistic expectations.

Cons

Several departments, and their talented people, have been subjected to the whims of mid level managers who lack the appropriate leadership skills to bring about meaningful, positive changes. Great people have been burned out time and time again, being told that they can bring concerns to their managers for assistance, only to be ignored, turned away, or placated, all the while the work keeps piling up, and work/life balance ebbs away. In particular, the organization continues to lose its best and brightest from the realm of its data and reporting services team. This team is the organization's backbone, but recently, has been maligned by those who do not understand the complexities involved in completing this mission critical work. Most of those that have left have done so of their own volition, after sheer exhaustion and frustration does them in, but others have been the victim of political maneuvering at the highest levels of leadership, proving that intellectual laziness is easier and more convenient than trying to understand the reasons that people are perceived in a particular way.

Executive leadership continues to shift strategy, often times with significant impact on all levels of the organization, and continues to demonstrate a lack of understanding for some of the organization's most basic functions. Recently, there has been a massive push to (as it's colloquially described) "automate stuff." Existing employees are being forced to identify and implement ways to automate their current work, all the while continuing to complete their regular work, and are being told that this will allow them to focus on "different things" in the future. The writing's on the wall and people aren't buying it. Coupled with the organization's massive push to adopt a widespread "variable workforce model" (aka using more temporary staff and continuing to burden top performers with a non-stop stream of work from other teams), it's hard to see how Measured Progress can still claim it's non-profit status, let alone argue that it's being true to its mission. It's all about student learning, huh? Seems to be more about revenue now than ever before!

This used to be a great place to work. Like many before it, the rise and fall of this once-great organization will serve as a case study for how to completely destroy employee engagement and morale through poor policies spun out of a leadership team with its head in the clouds. If you're thinking about working here, think again. But don't just take my word for it. Take the job! And in six months' time we'll be reading your review on this site, too.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites. IT? Really? The organization's IT department is a joke in the industry. Try building and delivering something that works (reliably and consistently). You have some departments that already do that (and have done it well for years). Stop criticizing these teams because you don't understand their work. They have saved the organization time and time again and their reward is to be constantly singled out as being "difficult." Unfortunately, the damage is already done, and the next wave of departures has already begun. Please recognize that this makes the organization weaker and it is happening, and worsening, under your watch. Support your people when they ask for help--don't just pick them up and drop them in another department. When did that ever solve the problem? Please learn from your past mistakes and stop repeating them.

"Solid company but needs improvement"

I worked at Measured Progress full-time

Pros

hardworking people, collegial atmosphere, workers try their best to meet job responsibilities

Cons

long hours, understaffed programs, upper management expects too much from low and mid-level staff

"Used to be a great ship, but it's going down..."

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time

Pros

Nice benefits
    Comfortable, clean environment
    Interesting work, some smart people (on lower levels)
    WANTS to be family friendly

Cons

Management is deaf to legitimate concerns of lower level employees.
    Management devalues the most hardworking, often most important, people.
    Poor decisions carried out "to entertain the whim of" out-of-touch CEO, despite massive evidence of impending failure.
    Technology has a lot of flaws, but CEO is willfully ignorant of them. He seems to believe that machines can replace people without need for maintenance, despite massive evidence to the contrary.
    Told to sacrifice accuracy by not QCing, but but if errors make it through "maybe that person isn't right for that job", creating a hostile work environment.
    Efforts to save money don't take long-term effects into account, can be shady.

Advice to Management

People who do the job every day know more about the work than you do... they aren't just trying to pull one over on you or too stupid to consider better ways of doing things.
    "Kicking the ball down the road" or skipping vital steps like QC doesn't save money in the long run, and especially doesn't save you money if it gets you sued or lose contracts later.
    Please pay attention to evidence. If a department is very busy, constantly makes miracles happen, has your lowest error rate, and constantly picks up the slack of other departments, don't try to save money by taking away their resources or trying to get rid of them. They are busy for a reason, you obviously need them, and you need to acknowledge their importance. Please make an effort to understand how a business actually works and acknowledge the ground you're standing on.