Measured Progress Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Martin Borg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work/life balance and flexibility as a working parent are the best I have seen (in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits - lots of vacation time (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Company needs to review upper management (in 8 reviews)

• The company bills itself as a non-profit, but is more accurately a corporate not-for-profit (in 4 reviews)

"Nearly 6 years with Measured Progress"

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent time off benefits, competitive health benefit package, flexibility with your schedule, supportive team-based structure, access to senior leadership, open communication about state of the company, training, numerous fun company events throughout the year.

Cons

No major cons to speak of. Every job comes with good days and not-so-good days. At Measured Progress, they are mostly good days. In the team-based structure I work within, we support each other and do our very best to minimize and proactively mitigate unforeseen circumstances that lead to the "fire drills" that are often the reason behind not-so-good work days.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership has done a lot over the past several year to mitigate the "peaks and valleys" of the state contract-based educational assessment landscape. Efforts to diversify the business and tap into new revenue streams is ongoing and have been met with success. My advice would be to maintain the focus on designing and building a cohesive client-facing suite of assessment technology platforms.

"Stop Linking Dissent to Tenure"

Former Employee - Statistical Analyst in Dover, NH
    Former Employee - Statistical Analyst in Dover, NH

I worked at Measured Progress full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice physical work space, good benefits, so-so salary, great colleagues. Seacoast location is another plus!

Cons

Each time a handful of key employees leaves the organization, a flurry of hyper-positive reviews appears on this site, whitewashing unbiased and unfiltered reviews of working at this organization. Is Measured Progress perfect? No. Is any organization? Absolutely not. But, to gloss over the imperfections, and to communicate a message of near-ideal state operating conditions, does a disservice not only to prospective employees, but to current employees, too. Shame!

Many reviews point to work-life balance. If you're one of the lucky few (as in, you work in a pure overhead department, and do not directly contribute to the bottom line), then, yes, this is a great place to work, and work-life balance is phenomenal! If you work in a department that directly contributes to the bottom line (aka - the people with skills in demand), you do not work a regular 37.5 hour work week, and you have a significantly diminished chance of enjoying any semblance of sustained work-life balance.

Professional development and training opportunities? Sure, these exist, I suppose, but they are entirely subjective and based on the whims of your manager. As do promotions, corresponding titles, pay, etc., almost exclusively based on who your "buddies" are within the organization. It's transparent, and with each move, trust and confidence continue to erode. Keep patting yourself, and your pals, on the back. For an education company, there sure is a penchant for elevating people without, err, actual education!

And, to address the cliche "volatility in this industry" blanket excuse for poor decision-making and leadership capabilities, if leadership was doing its job, industry changes and shifts wouldn't be a surprise that trigger a knee-jerk reaction, they would be anticipated, planned for, and either mitigated or exploited. This is basic business 101. Please, stop trying to play the cheerleader role, when it's painfully obvious that many of you rushing to provide this defense are, completely and woefully, inadequately prepared to be successful in your own roles. I know, reality is a tough pill to swallow, but you're continuing to lose more and more of your senior members. Ironically, you'll try to entice them to stay, but you'll simultaneously tell them that you don't need them, and take to these boards to single them out as being "difficult" or "stubborn." Consider this, please: perhaps these people know more than the less experienced and ill informed members of your team, and instead of identifying them as being difficult or resistant to change, maybe they're trying to save the village idiot from making a fool of himself?

Advice to Management

Stop treating your experienced people as a liability. People don't simply resist change to resist it. That's absolutely silly! Experienced people do, however, resist stupid, unnecessary, or ill-defined change. Don't allow these people to continue to leave the organization. Encourage them to stay, to grow, and to find new ways to support the organization. Measured Progress does incredible work. But that work requires incredible people. You're slowly filling your ranks with mediocre sycophants who'll abandon you when it's most convenient for them. Get rid of the people that play office politics. Send packing those who protect their immediate peers at the detriment of the organization and its clients. Stop the bleeding while there's still a chance to retain key talent; otherwise, your competitors are going to reap the benefits, at the organization's expense.

3. "Proud of my work"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dover, NH

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for about 5 years and I've seen us make various transitions to keep pace with, understand and anticipate an exceptionally volatile industry. Through all of the challenges the focus has remained on the students. I'm exceptionally proud of this and the people I work with. The group I work with in particular is really amazing. We pull together and get things done when the chips are down. This is an incredibly complex business with lots of moving parts but we always get the work done and the pride the group feels is obvious. I truly enjoy the work and the people.

Cons

If you're looking for typical beige corporate environments then this is not the place for you. If you're inflexible, hate change or just want to do the same thing over and over, day in and day out, this is NOT the place for you. If you don't enjoy being challenged and discovering what you're made of then this company is a hard pass for you. Could I make more money elsewhere?.. Perhaps, but there's a reason I've been here for 5 years.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the students and how to get the most from the assessments they take... and force Stuart to speak at company functions, he's always a breath of fresh air.

"Specialist"

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time

Pros

Some very interesting and hard working people work at Measured Progress

Cons

This company does not know how to build a strong relationship with it's employees.

People in Management positions have no skills nor knowledge of Management techniques. Just because you have a degree in education does not mean you know how to lead. All activities are developed and managed under a "crisis mode". Nobody knows were or how to start a process to really develop quality products. Management believes in over promising , and End of the year reports are based on a "best scenario" situation, accounting for contracts they have not acquired. Leading to a panic situation when yearly profits do not happen.

"Great environment!"

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment and benefits! It has Positive work atmosphere. It is a great learning opportunity and a good place to get my feet wet in the program management arena.

Cons

There have been ups and downs, but it seems to me that it is mostly because the industry is always changing and we are a small company competing in a crowded market. Due to the frequent industry shifts, it can be difficult to plan for the future. This requires employees to remain flexible in their priorities. Sometimes, this can be a challenge and there are many who are not comfortable with change.

6. "Technical report document specialist"

I worked at Measured Progress (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

prone to layoffs due to funding.

"Great Environment, Great People, Great Employer!"

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Benefits are fabulous! I'm the envy of all of my friends. The amount of personal time given is unheard of, the 401k plan is unmatched by anyone around, and the company culture is very open.

The company puts a lot of emphasis on the company culture being flexible, open, and very supportive. They support professional growth of employees through a variety of programs. They succeed in producing a relaxed, yet hard working, deadline driven environment. The work can be hard at times, which is normal for any deadline driven company, but we're all in it together and we're all working to a common goal.

Cons

More so than any specific cons to Measured Progress, it's the industry of large scale assessment that gets my attention. The industry itself is an ever changing landscape. The industry responds to many state and federal education initiatives, which can swing rapidly from year to year, or election to election. It's unfortunate, but I believe Measured Progress does a great job of adapting, and responding to changes swiftly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep treating your employees with gratitude, and respect, and we will do the same in return.

"True to it's mission"

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a not-for-profit that truly believes that every business move made will improve learning for students. I took this job because I trust in that mission and feel that everyone that works at Measured Progress believes the same.

The expectation to work hard and produce quality work is equally met with a focus on family first. With a young family, I greatly appreciate that. I don't feel like I am overworked or under paid. I also know that management has my back and supports my professional and personal goals.

In the end, it's about enjoying the people around me. I really enjoy coming to work because I get to work with a group of smart, dedicated, and professional people.

Cons

"Wonderful Place to Work!!"

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance
    37.5 hour work weeks
    PTO given up front
    Great benefits
    Positive work atmosphere
    Casual dress code
    Free Coffee
    Company is not for profit so money is reinvested into the company and it's employees which is appreciated
    They keep you busy without being overworked or overstressed
    They have a charitable contribution committee which donates money to the community, education programs, and scholarships
    Company had multiple events throughout the year to boost morale and make the work environment fun
    Paid volunteer days either for company sponsored volunteer work or volunteer work that you may be involved in on your own
    Communication on the current status of the business is transparent to all employees
    The President is wonderful and really gets to know all of the employees that work there
    This is a company where you are not just a number but a valued asset to the business

Cons

I think the only con I have is that there are some people who have been there so long and have been doing things the same way for so long that they are resistant to change and process improvement which holds the company back in some ways.

Advice to Management

My advice to Management would be to reach out to employees a bit more to get their feedback on new ideas and improvements they may have .

"Building valuable skills within a great team"

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Measured Progress is a great place to work. The work/life balance and flexibility as a working parent are the best I have seen. The company also has many female executives which is really refreshing. I greatly appreciate the fact that whatever training or professional development I may need in my job, I am able to take part. I feel that over the course of my employment, I have grown so much professionally with skills that are truly valued within my department and the company. Plus, I love the people I work with.