Merkle Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Merkle Chairman and CEO David Williams
David Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible including remote work-from-home options for many positions" (in 39 reviews)

• "Flexible start and end times, strongly focus on ensuring you have a healthy work-life balance" (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • "My advice would be to ask the teams you're interviewing with about their culture, work-life balance etc" (in 57 reviews)

• "Long hours due to client demands" (in 34 reviews)

"Great career opportunities and people"

Former Employee - Client Services in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Client Services in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Merkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is solid opportunity to take ownership of your career direction and growth at Merkle. The people are smart, collaborative and enjoyable to work with on a daily basis. The projects are often fun and challenging. Clients are credible and commonly appreciate the value delivered. The leadership team is very supportive.

Cons

With multiple office locations and new acquisitions each year, it remains an opportunity for Merkle staff to instill a cohesive office culture and bring together such a vast team.

Advice to Management

Continue to share goals, leadership team objectives, financials and acquisition updates with full transparency to keep your best employees engaged.

"Not recommended if you want to grow your career or skills!"

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Merkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

“Unlimited vacation”
    Flexible work location (sometimes)

Cons

Leadership is more or less non existent.
    No clear career path or job descriptions but expected to set goals to “level up” even though the next level and expectations are not given.
    Sales were non-existent to new clients in my sector, basically a dying company from the side I was on.
    Absolute chaos on what the company is doing / where it is headed.
    A zillion emails spamming daily with pointless stuff you care nothing about nor do they apply to you.
    No clear manager / expectations on who does what on a project - total free for all “kill or be killed” model.
    Lack of structure in every part of the company.

Advice to Management

Watch your employees closely, listen to them and take concerns seriously about hostile work environments. Maybe start with some structure and organization. Do not expect employees to set goals when they don’t have clear knowledge of “how to progress” to the next level because it has never been given to them.

"Good Idea, Bad Execution"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some smart people, it really depends on the team

Cons

Merkle lures people in to work with them boasting about unlimited paid time off, excellent people, and a good work-life balance. In practice, it is the opposite. The unlimited PTO is actually flexible paid time off, the people are great but management sucks, and there is no work-life balance. Refrain from coming here.

Aug 29, 2018 – HR Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. You are correct, our vacation plan is flexible, not unlimited. It is designed to allow our employees the ability to maintain a healthy work-life... More

"Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Senior Media Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Media Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best people I have ever known are the people I've worked with at Merkle.

Cons

Great support and knowledge from managers but most Directors are horrible.

Jul 19, 2018 – People Department

Thank you for writing a review! We couldn’t agree more with your comments about our people – we absolutely have great people doing cutting edge work, and that is really what makes Merkle such a great... More

"Prison Conditions - toxic work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Merkle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to home but really no other positives. If I think of any I will add them, but no holding breath

Cons

Management, salaries, nit-pickiness but also inconsistent. You get punished for being sick, something you can't help at times.

Advice to Management

Get some training! Also, stop playing corporate head games with employees. Also, allow notes, and treat the employees like persons rather than objects; we are ends in ourselves and not your mere means!

Jul 20, 2018 – HR Administrator

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that your employment with Merkle has not been a great experience. We encourage you to reach out to your HR point of contact to discuss any issues or concerns.

"What You See Is No What You Get"

Former Employee - Email Developer in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Email Developer in Columbia, MD

I worked at Merkle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talented co-workers. Flexible time off. Work with high profile clients.

Cons

Flexibile time off, but you get noticed if you actually use it (taking 8 days off in 6 months became an HR issue). Long hours. I was working sometimes 18 hour days but got questioned about what I was working on. Management had co-workers reporting to them on my performance behind my back, but not giving me direct feedback so I could correct issues (managers claimed I was given feedback on work where some things were missed, but I was not. I was basically called a liar when I defended myself). I only ever received positive feedback so I had no idea there was an issue until one day a manager 1:1 call was actually a call with HR telling me I was in trouble. Completely disrespectful professionally. I was trained on one way of doing things, diverted to a separate project for 5 months, then expected to return to my normal workflow like a seasoned veteran in one week, and the entire process was different when I returned. No project managers, only account managers who just bend over backwards for the client. There are no boundaries with the client, so everyone is constantly stressed out.

Advice to Management

Don't pretend to be proactive and supportive when you are not practicing it. If there are issues with someone's work they need to be told about it so they can take steps to correct it, not be ambushed with a bunch of quotes from a co-worker's feedback in a call with HR that is your 30 day warning before you lose your job. Just because managers don't have visibility into someone's work does not mean they are not working; how is it the employee's fault that no system exists for tracking their work and efforts? Apparently glowing feedback from the client itself is not enough.

Jul 19, 2018 – People Department

Thank you for the feedback. Merkle’s vacation plan is designed to allow employees flexibility around balancing work and life while still meeting the needs of the client and the business. On average... More

"A lot has changed"

Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart People, Flexible environment, good pay. Work-hard, play-hard culture (that can also be a con....depends on you)

Cons

Increases have dwindled to nothing, even if you're a top rated performer. All about the margin, no matter the cost to the employee (meaning no more work life balance, which Merkle used to tout in recruiting). Too many unhappy people, means crappy attitudes all over the place. Not how it used to be!

Advice to Management

Get back to focusing on employees and clients. Make Merkle fun again. Give more than 2% to top employees. Scope clients accordingly - and don't make employees pay the price for being short-staffed.

Jul 20, 2018 – HR Administrator

Thank you for your review. We agree that we have incredibly smart people and are glad that you enjoy being part of our flexible and supportive environment. Regarding pay increases, Merkle continues... More

"Unpredictable work environment with demanding clients"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Merkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Remote opportunities
    Unlimited vacation
    Supportive management (but have little power to actually change anything because they are as stressed as you)

Cons

Clients walk all over you
    Unpredictable and long hours
    Stressful work environment

Advice to Management

Stop letting clients stress out the teams. 60-80 hour+ work weeks are not uncommon and many people work weekends. Set boundaries with clients so they are not walking all over the account teams. Then the account teams stress out resource teams.

Jul 20, 2018 – HR Administrator

Thank you for writing a review. We do work hard at Merkle (but most of our employees do not work a 60-80 hour work week). We have the opportunity to work with incredible clients, and sometimes client... More

"Typical Corporate Company"

Former Employee - Search Marketing Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Search Marketing Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Merkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment and colleagues were great.

Cons

Management lacked communication skills. Very corporate style company with little benefit to hard work. Preformed multiples layoffs with little to no reasoning. The company seems to have a retention problem with employees - "Revolving Door".

Advice to Management

Your employees drive this company. Communication is key when it comes to continued success.

"A Typical Agency"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Merkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Transparent communication from CEO to all staff; outstanding client list and opportunity

Cons

The DAN acquisition has the company making (bad) short term decisions

Jul 20, 2018 – HR Administrator

We agree that we are fortunate to have an excellent CEO who values being highly transparent with our employees on the status of the company. With respect to your comments on DAN- the Dentsu Aegis... More