Merkle Reviews

Updated May 17, 2020

3.5
Merkle Chairman and CEO David Williams
David Williams
Pros
  • "You'll be working with a lot of smart people, mostly(in 71 reviews)

• "It is also nice to have the option to work from home(in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • "It would have been nice to negotiate my salary, but the work life balance made up for the compensation in my eyes(in 68 reviews)

• "There are many long hours on the job, so the workload can be demanding(in 42 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Tremendous Leadership By Craig and David"

Current Employee - Vice President in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Have read the recent reviews, nearly all related to the current pandemic in a negative light. Felt the need to respond to this unprecedented situation. This is not a fake or planted review, I am a long term employee in the Pittsburgh office. * The leadership team (Craig and David specifically) plus the crisis management team have been outstanding. These are scary times, the transparency, calmness and focus are reassuring to the employees. Myself and many others sincerely appreciate. * Merkle has built an incredible, economically strong company that can weather alot more turbulence than other marketing firms. The org structure, portfolio approach to services and focus on growth are giving leadership alot more options than other companies. * The sense of community and camaraderie has really come through this past month. Employees checking on each other, the social media posting, working from home advice, the virtual happy hours. The culture that has been built since 1988 is still what keeps me here and motivated.

Cons

Right now, personally do not have any. Minor concerns about Dentsu integration, but not a high priority in near term.

Merkle2020-04-05

April 8, 2020HR Administrator

Thank you for this feedback. Yes, we do have great leaders like Craig and David, but we also have amazing leaders, such as you. We want to thank you and all of our people that work hard to make this company a tremendous success. In regards to Dentsu, our integration is going to bring amazing opportunities for all of our employees in 2021, and we are looking forward it.

"Excellent employer"

Current Employee - Marketing Director

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits (including flexibility) Team Career opportunities Support for employees Culture

Cons

The only constant is change.

Merkle2020-04-22

April 22, 2020HR Administrator

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to have you as part of the Merkle team!

3. "good company"

4.0
    Current Employee - QA Automation Engineer

I have been working at Merkle full-time

Pros

It is a nice experience to work there

Cons

nothing really bad about this company

Merkle2020-05-11

May 13, 2020HR Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on this platform. We’re really thankful to have employees like you, who contribute to Merkle’s great success. We hope you will continue to grow and develop your career at Merkle with all the wonderful opportunities that are available to you.

4. "Solid"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Growth oriented, strong culture with long term view

Cons

fast pace not for everyone

Merkle2020-04-20

April 22, 2020HR Administrator

Thank you for your feedback. Here at Merkle, we understand that our work environment is fast-paced, and we are proud of the work that our employees do. We also pride ourselves on the fun, yet hard-working, culture that we have cultivated here at Merkle.

5. "If you have drive and want to learn - this is the place"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people get noticed and get opportunitites

Cons

If you want a "nurture" company - this is not it - it's a "growth" company and if you like that you with thrive. Growth doesn't just mean business, personal and professional growth - being pushed to grow.

April 22, 2020HR Administrator

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you recognized that we are a “growth” company. We’re particularly proud of our growth with our existing clients because it shows that our employees truly deliver value to our clients.

6. "Best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation, Leadership, Communication, Opportunity, Vision, Employees are all good people

Cons

Very distributed, most work from home so if you are junior need to be close to office location, for senior people remote flexibility is a plus

April 22, 2020HR Administrator

Thank you for sharing your experience. Here at Merkle, we work with great people and great clients and all the positives you shared above flow from those two foundational aspects. Thanks for all your hard work. We agree, our leadership has done a tremendous job guiding us through the times of COVID-19, and it is amazing to see our employees strive to support each other through these unprecedented times.

7. "Some of the smartest people in the biz"

Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leadership, flexibility, collaborative, smart, growing

Cons

Remote work approach for some can create lack of connectivity

April 22, 2020HR Administrator

Thank you for giving your feedback on this platform. We agree, working at Merkle means working with some of the best people in the business!

"Toxic place to work"

1.0

I worked at Merkle full-time

Pros

salary, health insurance, dental insurance

Cons

The culture: Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Merkle2020-05-12

"Poor Leadership and Toxicity in Austin"

1.0
     in Austin, TX

I have been working at Merkle for more than a year

Pros

Great bonding among those not in the top four leadership positions.

Cons

An unprofessional, toxic, dictatorship like work environment. Management has never really asked for feedback, yet seems to think everyone is happy. Leadership in this office will do anything to make a buck. Promotions are handed out based off of popularity. Merkle should really take a closer look at what's happening in Austin. I'd avoid the company for the near future as you won't get paid fairly for work (salaries were reduced bc ONE client cut back media spend) no 401k matching or promotions happening in 2020. God forbid something happens to the bottom line!

Merkle2020-05-09

May 13, 2020HR Administrator

Thank you for your feedback. COVID-19 has had an unprecedented effect on the economy as a whole, as well as Merkle. While our clients still value the work we do for them and remain partnered with us, many have put off new projects and that has had an effect on our business. As a result of that, Merkle made the decision to enact a company-wide pay reduction, with our senior employees taking the highest pay cuts. Because of this, we were able to save jobs and avoid laying off any employees. We’re very proud of our employees as they pull together as a team to support our clients through these difficult times.

"Fulfilling Work, Not Enough Pay"

Current Employee - Paid Media Manager

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People you work with are great, and you're able to really hit the ground running at lower levels, gaining a lot of valuable experience very quickly

Cons

The biggest drawback of Merkle is that pay is not competitive with other agencies, despite management repeatedly claiming it is

Merkle2020-04-14