Merkle Reviews | Glassdoor

Merkle Chairman and CEO David Williams
David Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to establish work life balance (in 53 reviews)

• Long hours due to client demands (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Wonderful company to work for"

Current Employee - Account Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, management listens, great leadership and mentoring, flexibility to balance life and work, excellent learning and growth opportunities, transparency from executive leadership, good programs to recognize contributors and successes at all levels of the company

Cons

Hours can be long and sometimes resources are stretched thin, but it's expected given the industry, and there are ways to balance it

Advice to Management

Continue to stay transparent and informative in the face of growth and acquisition - hearing from and having access to approachable leaders at the top of the company is one of the things that really works at Merkle

Merkle Response

Sep 21, 2017 – People Department

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review! We really appreciate your feedback and advice to management. Thank you for being a dedicated part of the team for more than five years... More

2. "Happy to be here!"

Current Employee - Media Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Media Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Merkle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great and smart people, team work atmosphere. Pay and benefits are ok, definitely above average though.

Cons

Can be stressful at times, but I guess that’s the industry.

Advice to Management

More team bonding events would be great! When you see talent, make sure it doesn’t leave!

3. "Amazing Place to Be"

Current Employee - Media Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Media Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Merkle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture, efficient org structure, great benefits, prioritize work-life balance, seek to challenge and engage employees

Cons

None. I feel very lucky to be here!

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

4. "I have been working at Merkle full-time (More 10 years)"

Current Employee - Ops Lead in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Ops Lead in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been working at Merkle more than 10 years, Nice co-workers and working environment. Great leadership and mentoring and flexibility to balance life and work.

Cons

Sometimes additional work on week ends. but there are ways to balance it.

"Good pay, very siloed job paths"

Pros

Unlimited vacation, good pay, 401k match is decent but nothing that great, some smart people that are good for helping to achieve career objectives.

Cons

HR is very unorganized with onboarding. Very complicated and nit picky expense process, unrealistic travel budgets, SO MANY EMAILS from people emailing the entire company about nothing, lots of firm structure stolen from big 3 consulting companies and very siloed in your job paths, unprofessional and sleazy male top management, lots of drinking.

Advice to Management

So much information about the company and so unorganized. Expense system is absolutely horrible and is awful for those who have to travel often. Need more overall process and HR. Help desk is also a joke and no process.

"Great Company Going Through Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/life flexibility even though there are some periods of typical agency over-working.

Laid back environment with a lot of fellow employees that I would consider to be friends.

Work opportunities with large industry-leading clients across a variety of verticals.

A lot of opportunity for growth and promotion starting at the entry level if you're willing to put in the effort.

Cons

Culture has grown increasingly more corporate in my 5 or so years here. The transition from a small, local agency to a mega-company has come with its share of corporate setbacks.

Attrition has been increasing as it has become more apparent that Merkle's wages have not remained especially competitive, at least in this region.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping your company culture intact in the wake of massive growth, especially at the various offices that still view themselves as individual companies in some ways. I understand that we want to foster a unified culture but don't lose sight of what made the original companies and employees unique in the first place. Make sure there is clear leadership in each of your offices.

7. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Merkle full-time

Pros

Innovative and hard-working environment. They care about their people.

Cons

As the company grows, leadership changes and high turnover can slow progress.

"Tiring chaotic environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can work from home
    Some smart people (not in senior leadership)
    Interesting sector to be in
    A decent coffee machine

Cons

Churn and burn working environment
    Endless acquisitions not implemented properly causing chaos
    Layoffs which seem to be more and more frequent
    Upper management seem to be reactive rather than proactive
    Low morale across the company

Advice to Management

Maybe stop laying people off?

"Review"

Pros

Work from home capabilities are nice.

Cons

No bonuses or profit sharing.

"Chaos"

I worked at Merkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some very smart and dedicated people. Opportunities to work with some world class clients. Ability to work with a broad spectrum of marketing stack technologies and services.

Cons

I came in to Merkle via an acquisition. I've been through several acquisitions in my career. This was the least well managed of all of them. There was no concrete plan for how to integrate our capabilities into the broader Merkle offerings. We were thrown into a chaotic, poorly managed ecosystem with a bunch of cobbled together companies and capabilities and basically had to figure it out pretty much on our own (even though we were told that our offering was strategic for the companies future). Just as we were starting to gain some traction and actually integrate our technology offerings with other business units so we could go to market together and actually deliver the integrated technology solutions Merkle was talking so much about in the marketplace, Merkle management started multiple rounds of layoffs that focused almost solely on individual utilization rates, as opposed to a strategic reduction in force that would maintain the ability to deliver the technical solutions my original company was purchased for in the first place. As soon as someone rolled off a project, they were an immediate target if they didn't have an immediate follow on project. Overall, it was a disheartening experience. Most of the really talented people I worked with have left.

Advice to Management

Put together a plan for how to integrate the marketing stack technologies you manage and make a commitment of resources to actually build the integrations.