Merkle Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Merkle Chairman and CEO David Williams
David Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home capabilities are nice" (in 39 reviews)

• "Merkle hires really smart people who are also great team players - people you enjoy working with every day" (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hard to establish work life balance" (in 54 reviews)

• "Long hours due to client demands" (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Wonderful company to work for"

Current Employee - Account Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, management listens, great leadership and mentoring, flexibility to balance life and work, excellent learning and growth opportunities, transparency from executive leadership, good programs to recognize contributors and successes at all levels of the company

Cons

Hours can be long and sometimes resources are stretched thin, but it's expected given the industry, and there are ways to balance it

Advice to Management

Continue to stay transparent and informative in the face of growth and acquisition - hearing from and having access to approachable leaders at the top of the company is one of the things that really works at Merkle

Sep 21, 2017 – People Department

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review! We really appreciate your feedback and advice to management. Thank you for being a dedicated part of the team for more than five years... More

2. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits, collaborative teams, community involvement, friendly culture.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

3. "Great Company!"

I have been working at Merkle full-time

Pros

The entrepreneurial spirit at Merkle mean it is a company you can create your own career path. You will work with some of the smartest people in the business!

Cons

Matrix environment, and different goals can create tension within the teams. This will be dissipated with good communication.

Merkle is a fast growth company and as such has some of those rapid expansion pains. I don't find them any worst than that of any other company.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the employees as your focus. They are an important resource and can make or break you.

Aug 8, 2018 – HR Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to write a great review! We agree that Merkle has some of the best people in the industry and we are glad to have you on our team!

4. "Campaign Analyst"

Pros

Good Opportunities, growing client base

Cons

1. No pay increases or compensation- even when meeting 100% of goals
    2. Overworked - frequent travel and employee put in positions superior should be handling
    3. Little communication in the form of company direction

Advice to Management

I know it’s nice at the top, but don’t forget the minions that help support your position. A little recognition in the form of a small pay increase goes a long way! You’re going to keep losing people if something does not change soon.

"Started great, now going downhill."

I have been working at Merkle (Less than a year)

Pros

Work is easy, being part-time is more flexible than full-time, paid holidays, able to cross-train, and starts off as a friendly & welcoming atmosphere in the beginning.

Cons

Once you go full-time it's mandatory to work overtime. Not always guaranteed fulltime hours due to their "budget." The wonderful warm welcome I received when hired no longer seems to exist. New hires don't get as much encouragement anymore. Career goals that are promised to you are not kept.

Advice to Management

The #1 reason why I wanted to make Merkle my final place to build a career was because of the warm welcome I received when hired. I was given a "Welcome" packet and a paper signed by almost everyone in the department (which I have framed). During training, I thrived on the encouragement and constructive feedback they gave. It made me want to do better and work harder. I was given confidence for once. Except now, all of that has disappeared. I'm training new hires that still get "Welcome" packets with only 1 or 2 signatures, if any at all. We now get told to do better, but not how we should do so. There is no longer constructive feedback. We don't have the weekly department meetings. There's so much more, and a lot of this is more personal. However, at the rate this all happened I'm reconsidering my decision to make this place a career. It's just another job to hold until I find another that pays more with consistant hours.

Jul 31, 2018 – HR Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your feedback. We are glad you are enjoying our flexible work environment and some of the other great benefits we provide like cross... More

"Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Senior Media Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Media Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best people I have ever known are the people I've worked with at Merkle.

Cons

Great support and knowledge from managers but most Directors are horrible.

Jul 19, 2018 – People Department

Thank you for writing a review! We couldn’t agree more with your comments about our people – we absolutely have great people doing cutting edge work, and that is really what makes Merkle such a great... More

"Media - LA"

I have been working at Merkle full-time

Pros

Great resume builder. Entertainment client.

Cons

Senior management team are too junior and lack experience to effectively lead. No room for growth. Most people only get promoted when someone quits or gets fired and a req becomes open.

Aug 8, 2018 – HR Administrator

Thank you for your review. We continue to enhance our career development tools like the Career Framework so that our hardworking people can acquire the skills that are needed in preparation for a... More

"Prison Conditions - toxic work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Merkle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to home but really no other positives. If I think of any I will add them, but no holding breath

Cons

Management, salaries, nit-pickiness but also inconsistent. You get punished for being sick, something you can't help at times.

Advice to Management

Get some training! Also, stop playing corporate head games with employees. Also, allow notes, and treat the employees like persons rather than objects; we are ends in ourselves and not your mere means!

Jul 20, 2018 – HR Administrator

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that your employment with Merkle has not been a great experience. We encourage you to reach out to your HR point of contact to discuss any issues or concerns.

"Vice President"

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at Merkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Digital space is interstitial. You can work from home.

Cons

Management really don't care about anyone. There are layoffs, firings more frequently than I have ever seen 20+ years of working. I would describe it as "random" you literally never know what is going to happen week to week. If that is your thing work for this company oh and be prepared to work 55 hours plus a week.

Advice to Management

Pointless giving advice. Company leadership is so arrogant they won't listen.

Jul 19, 2018 – People Department

Thank you for sharing your feedback – we’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. Our leadership team cares deeply about our employees, and the decision to lay people off is... More

"What You See Is No What You Get"

Former Employee - Email Developer in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Email Developer in Columbia, MD

I worked at Merkle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talented co-workers. Flexible time off. Work with high profile clients.

Cons

Flexibile time off, but you get noticed if you actually use it (taking 8 days off in 6 months became an HR issue). Long hours. I was working sometimes 18 hour days but got questioned about what I was working on. Management had co-workers reporting to them on my performance behind my back, but not giving me direct feedback so I could correct issues (managers claimed I was given feedback on work where some things were missed, but I was not. I was basically called a liar when I defended myself). I only ever received positive feedback so I had no idea there was an issue until one day a manager 1:1 call was actually a call with HR telling me I was in trouble. Completely disrespectful professionally. I was trained on one way of doing things, diverted to a separate project for 5 months, then expected to return to my normal workflow like a seasoned veteran in one week, and the entire process was different when I returned. No project managers, only account managers who just bend over backwards for the client. There are no boundaries with the client, so everyone is constantly stressed out.

Advice to Management

Don't pretend to be proactive and supportive when you are not practicing it. If there are issues with someone's work they need to be told about it so they can take steps to correct it, not be ambushed with a bunch of quotes from a co-worker's feedback in a call with HR that is your 30 day warning before you lose your job. Just because managers don't have visibility into someone's work does not mean they are not working; how is it the employee's fault that no system exists for tracking their work and efforts? Apparently glowing feedback from the client itself is not enough.

Jul 19, 2018 – People Department

Thank you for the feedback. Merkle’s vacation plan is designed to allow employees flexibility around balancing work and life while still meeting the needs of the client and the business. On average... More