MicroTech Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Tony Jimenez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The CEO recognizes hard work, loyalty and dedication to succeed and appreciate a team work atmosphere (in 5 reviews)

• The people are great and come to work understanding that there is a mission and work cohesively to accomplish great things (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • but others may prefer to give less and expect that no one will notice (in 4 reviews)

• Morale was low even when business was booming because of constant reorganization (every 4-6 weeks) and a lack of training (in 2 reviews)

1. "Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! Fantastic growth oppotunities! Very talented people!

Cons

Company sold off two divisions and significantly downsized from 500+ to 100+ people

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing, but make sure the ends justify the means.

2. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at MicroTech full-time

Pros

Many benefits to working here. The people are great!

Cons

My only complaint is my commute - traffic can be rough - but that's anywhere in NoVA!

"It is What You Make of It"

I worked at MicroTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a lot of dynamics at work within the company, so I hope I will be able to capture all, if not, definitely the salient ones on this review.

MicroTech is unique in that it's labeled as a small company, but the workload is tantamount to a mid-sized company's, if not bigger. The experience and the knowledge you get here will definitely help you go far in your career. The co-workers are some of the most wonderful people I have met and I sincerely hope that I will be able to meet people like that in my future employments.

As stated before, since it's a small company, your encounter with the CEO will be relatively frequent in the office so I believe it's necessary to mention him in this review. I understand that there are varied views of the CEO and my interactions with him wasn't as frequent as those who work closely with him so I can't provide you with an accurate picture. However, based on my experience, the CEO is a genuine and compassionate person who is very driven to succeed which may come off as abrasive to others. Outside of work, the CEO is one of the most down to earth person you will meet and you can't help but admire what he has accomplished and overcame from scratch as an entrepreneur.

Lastly, MicroTech is not a perfect company, but there's no such thing as a perfect company since there are always flaws even though it's minor. That being said, the company could definitely improve on training, areas of responsibility, and work process which can significantly improve the company's environment and long term growth.

The grass is may be greener on the other side of the fence, but MicroTech has the potential to be just as green if not more verdant than the other side.

Cons

Depending on the department you are in, the workload can be onerous which can lead to burnout and dissatisfaction with the company. Before that happens, please inform the management so that they will be able to help you. If you keep it to yourself, it's going to hurt both you and the company.

The company has a high turnover rate. Each case of departure is different so I'm not going to elaborate on it, but because of the turnover rate, the company's infrastructure is slightly unorganized.

Advice to Management

Improvements in training, delineating roles and responsibilities, and implementing a well-defined work process. This advice might not apply to all departments, but one thing I have noticed is that because of lack of training materials, set responsibilities, and clear work process, whenever an employee would leave the company, the knowledge of their work would leave with them, leaving a knowledge and experience vacuum that is detrimental to the company. The replacements would then spend valuable time trying to learn their new job by themselves, understand what the previous person did and implement a new work process all of which can be avoided if the company has an established work process and training materials in place.

"Small Company. Big Opportunity"

I have been working at MicroTech full-time

Pros

Pays well. Competitive Benefits. Good people.

Cons

Currently there is no telework policy

Advice to Management

Allow the flexibility to work from home on occasion when requested.

"Very Good Career Move"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at MicroTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MicroTech allowed me to get exceptional experience in a very short amount of time. I know as much about the federal procurement process after 1 year as most people do in 5. You will be given as much responsibility as you ask for or can handle. I left (with Tony's blessing) after a year because the experience I received made me very competitive for a new career advancement opportunity at another company-- but I know that I wouldn't be where I am without MicroTech. If you look for a mentor at MicroTech, you will find one.

Cons

Management is demanding, because Tony is demanding. MicroTech is a career, not a job, and you need to be available and responsive. The stakes are high and the pressure is real. There is high turnover for those who don't catch on quick. Tony's expectations are fluid. There are times when you will get inconsistent feedback. Ask yourself if you can roll with the punches and change course when needed. If you're easy-going enough to handle the pressure, MicroTech can be a career changer for you. It was for me.

Advice to Management

I know management is doing the best they can to offer consistent feedback and direction in quickly changing environment.

6. "A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroTech full-time

Pros

Everyone is incredibly dedicated and hardworking. Wonderful staff. I learned so much about business and government contracts working there.

Cons

Not a downside, you just have to apply yourself and work hard.

Advice to Management

None

7. "Does it matter"

I have been working at MicroTech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management allows you to work without micromanaging.

Cons

For those working at client sites; will never meet your manager and do not receive the same benefits and perks as those working at the corporate office.

Advice to Management

Keep your promises and quit treating those working at client sites as numbers.

8. ""The Secret""

I have been working at MicroTech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a current employee and my one year anniversary with MicroTech is approaching. There are bad days and good days with any company. Overall, I am very pleased with the team accomplishments. The CEO recognizes hard work, loyalty and dedication to succeed and appreciate a team work atmosphere. MicroTech corporate objective is to succeed profitably while maintaining a family atmosphere.

Cons

The past is hard to let go. Live in the present and look forward to the future success of MicroTech.

Advice to Management

At MicroTech, we live, laugh, drink and eat eight hours a day. To maintain a competitive edge and improve efficiency through out the company, staff and practices are challenged daily. How individuals choose to interpret these changes is where professionalism is compared with personal opinions and views become mixed. I enjoy our dynamic team. Top Flight Management Team!

"Emotionally rewarding place to work!!"

I worked at MicroTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing, emotionally rewarding atmosphere. Did y'all know Microtech won an award from SmartCEO as a best run company in Virginia? It's so well run that 5 of the 12 people in the photo for that award are no longer there. You might say that seems counterintuitive. It's not! First, 7 out of 12 is pretty good. Second, as stated in the fantastically well written SmartCEO article: "The training at MicroTech has been so good that the firm has sometimes struggled to hold on to its talent." Come get that good training!!

The CEO is a super fun guy. He seems to have a lot of frustration to vent about a great many things, which mostly (about 51%) takes place in weekly 3-4 hour meetings where he does all the talking. His smirk just melts your icy heart. If people just listened to him better the potential for his success would be infinite.

And all the positive reviews on here that might sound especially fake and manufactured are probably all totally genuine. No way the CEO personally wrote literally every single one. Couldn't be.

Cons

There's really nothing negative I can say. They are very litigious after all. Go apply now and start your adventure!

Advice to Management

Run!!

10. "MicroTech is a fine place to work"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Arlington, VA

I worked at MicroTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family atmosphere with dedicated top flight IT pros

Cons

I was put into a 401k plan w/o my permission after I specifically told management I would NOT do it

Advice to Management

Continue to provide the same top flight IT support and NEVER put employees into plans w/o their permission