MicroTech Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tony Jimenez

Pros
  • The people are great and come to work understanding that there is a mission and work cohesively to accomplish great things (in 4 reviews)

• The CEO recognizes hard work, loyalty and dedication to succeed and appreciate a team work atmosphere (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • but others may prefer to give less and expect that no one will notice (in 4 reviews)

• Morale was low even when business was booming because of constant reorganization (every 4-6 weeks) and a lack of training (in 2 reviews)

1. "MicroTech is a fine place to work"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Arlington, VA

I worked at MicroTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family atmosphere with dedicated top flight IT pros

Cons

I was put into a 401k plan w/o my permission after I specifically told management I would NOT do it

Advice to Management

Continue to provide the same top flight IT support and NEVER put employees into plans w/o their permission

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at MicroTech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The coffee is good and the location isn't bad

Cons

Everything else is just horrible. Where to start? The CEO is a joke. One day he is walking around giving away concert tickets, the next day he scolds everyone because there is a pretzel on the floor. No one wants to work here and everybody who is here is looking for another job. The only people that get hired are those who are unemployed and need a paycheck. There are 1 or 2 decent managers here but they all walk around on eggshells because they never know when Tony is going to get upset and fire them. Turnover is ridiculously high. If you are desperate and need a job this is the place for you because they will hire anyone. If you have any other options don't even think about Microtech because you will regret it like the rest of us.

Advice to Management

Sell the company

MicroTech Response

May 29, 2017 – President and CEO

What a bitter and totally inaccurate review. Even if it were accurate why would it matter if people were unemployed before they were hired? Sounds like you believe unemployed people are not worth ... More

"My Experience with the company started out good and ended not so great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at MicroTech full-time

Pros

I worked under a good team in which my manager was there which is really all you can ask for in a manager .

Cons

As the review stated there definitely is a big turnover rate with this company. Job security is most important to any new employee coming on when I first started I literally saw 10 to 15 people coming go in less than a six-month. I know that some people find better opportunities and I also know that some people fire themselves but this is still concerning especially since this is a small business.

Also there is not a lot of discretion at this company to be totally honest when I first started there there were so many things that I heard that I knew I should not of heard and that should have been kept private. I never got involved with office politics and I always thought it was best to keep to myself.
     This review certainly is not from a bitter former employee leaving that job was a blessing in disguise.

Advice to Management

Upper management definitely needs more training.

4. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Sales in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroTech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only been here about a month, but the CEO is certainly knowledgeable and driven to what it takes for an IT company to succeed in the Federal space. Nice and competent people to work with, nice facilities, decent pay. Many other companies have come and gone, I don't feel that uncertainty here

Cons

Company has some issues with former employees and some Federal partners. But that is normal for an IT company, some toes are always stepped on.

Advice to Management

Keep on driving the people to bigger and better things.

5. "Fast-paced, growing company"

Current Employee - Director, BD in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Director, BD in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MicroTech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always plenty of responsibility, energetic environment, can wear lots of hats. Upward mobility is almost endless due to growth. The CEO is active in opportunity pursuit. VPs and Directors are dedicated. Lots of talent within MT across the board.

Cons

As with any small company, there is always change.

"The Best Run Company in Virginia"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Pros

Know where they have been and know where they are going and are not just treading water! The people are great and come to work understanding that there is a mission and work cohesively to accomplish great things! People are good at what they do and the ones that are not don't last long!

Cons

The commute to Tysons Corner is not easy, but considering it's a great place to work that's OK!

Advice to Management

Clean out the dead weight and replace them with people who are mission focused and understand the work. Takes quality ingredients to make a quality team!

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Vienna, VA

Pros

I have been in the marker for Ten years and in that time I have had three jobs and have been made dozens of offers and non top what I have at MicroTech. Companies like MicroTech are rare. The people are great the work environment is fabulous and my bosses bend over backwards to make it a great place to work.

Cons

The constant attacks from people who either don't work at MicroTech, but say they do and the constant attacks from others outside the company who can't handle the fact that MicroTech is always in the winners circle and many of them can't even find the track! If you did work at MicroTech and you were shown the door there is probably a reason! Live with it!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, but make sure you continue to keep us informed! CEO & Management team need to keep doing what they are doing because they motivate the rest of us and makes us just that much better!

8. "Doesn't recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

Pros

Really nice coworkers, decent benefits, CEO is really hands on.

Cons

Horrible retention. Employees don't stay long and most of the people working are waiting on the next best opportunity.

Advice to Management

You can't succeed if you don't retain the talent and you replace them before they walk through the door!

9. "Offsite software developer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at MicroTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Liked my job and colleagues.
    Nice folks, and pleasant to deal with (via email and phone)
    Communications with HQ (HR, and so on) was OK, but rarely in person.
    Good support for continuing education

Cons

They gave away my tax info in a phishing scam, and my IRS account was hacked. But they did own up to it, and offered identity theft protection. Loss of one star in rating.
    Very rarely met anyone, including the PM from HQ. Loss of one star in rating.
    Sudden lay off was kind unexpected and painful.

Advice to Management

Seem to have an awfully high turnover of management staff.

10. "Great Opportunity for Career Acceleration"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

Pros

I have worked many places in the DC Metro area in the last 15 years (for large corporations and small companies), and MicroTech is one of the best I've encountered. The environment here is one where your hard work is recognized and rewarded well. I appreciate the access to managers at all levels who are willing to provide information and insight to increase efficiency in our daily work processes. There is also a palpable team spirit, which comes from a CEO and senior staff who are always in the trenches with us.

Cons

You need to be on your A-game and provide creative solutions to work challenges that arise. I personally think that challenging, faster-paced work is an opportunity to shine...but others may prefer to give less and expect that no one will notice. MicroTech expects you to give your best at all times.

Advice to Management

It is hard to make a good name for a company, and MicroTech has done just that! Keep up the great work!