Mind Candy Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Community Safety
    Current Employee - Community Safety

I have been working at Mind Candy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great flexibly. Work from home.

Cons

None. They were wonderful to work for.

Advice to Management

You were awesome

2. "Good while it lasted"

I have been working at Mind Candy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits, ever changing environment

Cons

Lack of communication, ever changing environment

Advice to Management

Communicate

3. "Best job ever!"

Former Employee - Senior Producer
    Former Employee - Senior Producer

I worked at Mind Candy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredibly talented team and exciting projects! Great work life balance and office.

Cons

.....nope, I can't think of any!

Advice to Management

Keep up the openness and great communication

4. "Anything is possible!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Shoreditch, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Shoreditch, England (UK)

I have been working at Mind Candy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having worked in various start-ups, this is the most creative environment with the hardest-working team I've had the pleasure of working with.
    Everyone is held accountable for their actions and there is a genuine drive to work your absolute hardest.
    Opportunities are there for anyone willing to work hard enough for them.
    Anything really is possible!

Cons

There's not enough hours in the day to achieve what I want to achieve!

Advice to Management

Keep doing a fab job!

5. "enjoyable but not the same"

Former Employee - Designer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Designer in London, England (UK)

Pros

Loved working there, some of the most talented people I've ever worked with

Cons

The company has done through 3 or 4 rounds of redundancies so I imagine a very different working environment now

Advice to Management

Good luck

"Downward Slide"

I worked at Mind Candy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, big aspirations. It used to be brilliant.

Cons

It's an empty shell of a company

Advice to Management

There's not much that can be done now! Maybe get rid of the top heavy senior management team?

"Best Job I’ve had…"

I have been working at Mind Candy full-time

Pros

Mind Candy has been an amazing place to work for the past year and has really motivated me not just at work but also in my day-to-day life. Coming from 2 companies that were fairly large, I always felt like a cog a in a huge machine, going through the same motions everyday with little in the way of exciting work or ability to get involved outside core responsibilities. Since joining Mind Candy, I have been stretched in learning a host of new skills in my field but also actively involved in other areas of the business (I even helped with testing games!). If there is something I want to do or suggest, I feel comfortable enough to approach leadership and bring my thoughts or concerns to the table.

I also feel like I have a great degree of autonomy to get on with my work and Mind Candy trust that I am going to do a good job and deliver. This trust in my ability has increased my confidence over the year and motivates me to do more and achieve more. I feel Mind Candy is in line with more modern perceptions of what motivates people in terms of the desire to make an impact and the autonomy to express themselves and their ideas.

Another part of my Mind Candy experience that I have enjoyed is the level of exposure to senior staff and leadership, which has further increased my confidence and general business knowledge. Just being in discussions or delivering presentations to the senior management team, the board, product directors or financiers, has improved my public speaking and taught me a lot about the inner workings and challenges of running and building a business.

Mind Candy offers a good work-life balance, fun culture and flexibility. If you need to work from home for any reason, my manager has been more than happy to accommodate, as the company understands that there are sometimes personal circumstances that crop up across the year. The office environment and culture is great and I was amazed to find refreshments provided every week and beer 0’clock on a Friday. I never had anything like that at offices I worked in before so for me it is a big luxury!

Above all, Mind Candy is a challenging yet extremely fun place to work that I enjoy getting up in the morning for and is filled with amazing and talented people!

Cons

For me, there aren’t really any that I can think of. There have been some tough decisions made by senior management in recent times, but this isn’t a negative for me. I fully understand that this is a business after all and businesses need to make tough decisions sometimes. Any young SME or start up in the tech/entertainment sector is in an unpredictable environment and so needs to adapt and make changes when necessary. The change in the technology sector is and has been rapid, as we all know, with many breakout successes as well as failures. I find this exciting and would rather this than being in a more predictable & stable large corporation.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open and approachable as you have been as this is great for people who want to contribute ideas, thoughts and concerns. Also, continue with the entrepreneurial spirit and enthusiasm, which really helps with motivation. Thanks for the opportunities so far!

"Too far gone to be saved"

I have been working at Mind Candy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The majority of the people I worked with day in day out were driven, knowledgeable and great fun
    Mind Candy know how to put on a party and celebrate

Cons

The company suffers from horrendous executive management at the exec/director level.
    They missed the move to mobile with Moshi. Deciding to halt multiple mobile projects that were largely complete. Pushing teams to crunch hard and suddenly moving the goal posts. Then making people redundant sniper fashion. The stories I heard of the way colleagues were spoken to 1 on 1 were disgusting. A hire and fire mentality is rife
    A culture that initially fostered openness was steadily eroded. Key management getting further away from their teams, thinking the worst of them. Newly hired directors throwing their weight around. You could go from flavour of the month to being thrown out in a very short space of time.
    There’s an old guard that operate as a clique away from everyone else

Advice to Management

There’s been a lot of damage done. Of the many countless people that have left the business, I don’t know a single one that would recommend you as an employer. Your name in the industry isn’t a healthy one. You have to treat people with respect and stop believing your own hype. Trouble is that from what I’ve heard recently I don’t think anything has changed.

"Great place to work with great people"

Former Employee - Android Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Android Developer in London, England (UK)

Pros

Great very smart people with fantastic industry connections and experience. Great business and agile practices.

Cons

Confusion with product direction. Very fast paced requires intelligence and hard work to meet goals.

Advice to Management

Focus on smaller iterations of products that can fail fast.

"Tough experience"

Pros

A must for fake grass fetishists. Some great people hidden away in the shadows.

Cons

This is my personal opinion...

I think management is particularly directionless and run the shop like Lord of the Flies. Grand statements and devious cliques plotting to stay in the spotlight by undermining anyone who shows signs of brilliance. One day you're working your heart out on your life's passion, the next you're being 'managed out' because of some knee-jerk change of direction.

You're one of five types at Mind Candy:
    1) Management - Either new (and bold/reckless) or old (and super-cliquey).
    2) The Slytherins - mates of the management - been there ages - will undermine you in their secret social meetups only the cool kats are invited to.
    3) The Freshers - new, excited, talented. Lured by the potential.
    4) Muggles - Been there, super-talented but know how it works. Keep their heads down and don't make waves. Park their aspirations and enjoy the ride.
    5) The Walking Dead - you said something challenging in a meeting last week or one of the management u-turns mean your a scapegoat. Very rare they are aware of this situation as it's usually so random and fast.

Too many talented people have been through the mill at Mind Candy. Such a shame.

Advice to Management

Maybe check Glassdoor more often and read the historic comments that people have taken the time to compose. They all read the same, nomatter how long ago there were posted. This would tend to suggest a deep cultural issue rather than a localised blip.
    Good folk leave reviews because they care or because you made their lives difficult. That is the legacy and reputation you are creating. In short, learn from Google across the road "don't be evil."