Minted Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Minted Founder & CEO Mariam Naficy
Mariam Naficy

Pros
  • It is the best drama free work environment (in 13 reviews)

• Great Environment, Great People, Great Perks (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • It takes 1 full year working full time to even qualify for benefits, so good luck if you have to go to the dentist (in 14 reviews)

• Very busy during the holiday season (in 13 reviews)

1. "Opportunity for growth, if you really want it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Minted is a great place to get your foot in the door during their seasonal opportunities. I started as a seasonal design associate and have moved up into a comfortable position within the four years i've been here. With positivity, dedication and passion for the brand I have really grown so much personally and seized many opportunities for growth that were presented to me. I am happy to say that I love my job and am enthusiastic to come in everyday and be exposed to the amazing designs & products we all work so hard to get on the site in front of our customers. Some people may see contracted positions as a con, but if you put in the hard work and present yourself as a culture fit for the company there are people paying attention and willing to work with you to help you create a career. Gorgeous office, fun working environment, and creativity is everywhere!

Cons

I will say that we are paid below market value in most positions at minted, it would be awesome to get up to the industry standard in san francisco.

Advice to Management

Be willing to go above and beyond for those who go above and beyond for the company.

2. "Good, Honest, and Creative Company to work for"

Current Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Representative in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Representative in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Minted part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation good and higher than most for the job
    Team Leaders, while busy, keep their cool and gave great advice
    Nice offices, snacks, start-up company environment
    Offered escorts to our cars when working late - very considerate

Cons

Stressed out customers during busy holiday season
    Need to be a quick learner and be tecch-savvy. Not really a con but rather a heads-up

Advice to Management

None

3. "Foot in the door"

Current Employee - Seasonal Custom in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Custom in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive environment. Great co-workers.

Cons

At will contract. No benefits until after a year. Low pay for Bay Area.

5. "Customer Service Rep"

I worked at Minted full-time

Pros

Snacks, Right off of BART

Cons

Unprofessional, lots of ungroomed coworkers

"senior manager"

I have been working at Minted full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fast paced environment, execute many campaigns and projects faster then most companies with great partners' support, travel opportunities

Cons

there is no culture, lack of challenging projects, employees are not given a chance to come up with strategy and make decisions

Advice to Management

need to put more trust in the employees hired to make decisions and learn quickly from the decisions. the lack of planning is also something that needs to be worked on in order for this company to be strategic and scale.

"Great culture. Low pay."

Former Employee - Design Associate in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Design Associate in Oakland, CA

I worked at Minted full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the Oakland office, a great place to learn on the job and to be cozy-casual. Everyone is genuine, kind, and hard working including management. My favorite thing is that there are many races, ages, family status, disability status, and sexual orientations / genders there including a few transwomen. Happy about the free tampons/pads in the bathroom, snacks and coffee in the kitchen. They make some accommodations for vegans/vegetarians. There's also a mother's room, and a good family leave policy.

Everyone is super friendly and can be themselves, and also mentor each other sometimes. There's lots of formal trainings as well, so you can get into Graphic Design. Developing more Illustrator, Photoshop, inDesign, and customer service skills is great. You can certainly learn more on the job and get a great eye. Then develop your talents.

No one is pressured to stay for game night or beer o' clock night, but that's there and it's awesome Some family events occasionally as well. The San Francisco office is a bit more "button-up" in comparison. You get random assignments sometimes either in SF, or in Oakland if your talents show through or if you internally apply, and this can be a mixture of rewarding, and confusing taking on more responsibility for the same pay or having to sign a new contract.

At first the pay seems nice because it's better than Oakland minimum wage, but eventually the more you work, the more you notice how scrappy the company is - and is currently outsourcing a lot of the tasks in this office to overseas. And so they take your requests for a a raise to a live-able modern SF wage as childish, even if your talents and productivity are through the roof... So with that, let's go to the cons...

Cons

Low retention rate. Most quit after a few months, or are let go after seasonal work (this is explained thoroughly in the contract), and it seems like max is about 3 years even at higher positions. It takes 1 full year working full time to even qualify for benefits, so good luck if you have to go to the dentist. Advancement is sort of smoke and mirrors. Minted is more like a stepping stone or a "comfortable job", than a serious career choice. Everyone tries to pick up side projects or side work, and talk about wanting to quit constantly. They feel like a forever "permatemp", and work gets repetitive and monotonous. The seasonal hours are especially tough on the body and mind.

Advice to Management

It may be cheaper to keep people on and give them benefits after 6 months, and invest in their education, and provide more serious advancement, then to keep swapping around desks and teams like it's a 3rd grade project.

8. "If you work hard and think creatively, you will go far here"

Current Employee - Associate Merchandising Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Merchandising Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive, fun work environment. Much opportunity for growth.

Cons

Priorities deadlines are constantly shifting.

9. "Project Manager"

Pros

the company hires smart and hardworking employees

Cons

overworked with little room for career development or mentoring

10. "Software Engineer"

I worked at Minted full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn a lot from this company

Cons

There is something missing in terms of culture

Advice to Management

Culture requires a fixer-upper of a job

"May the odds be ever in your favor"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks and coffee in the office. The managers really are the backbone of customer service. They work SOOOOO hard and rarely get the credit they deserve. The management team in amazing.

Cons

They string people along. I have worked here twice, last year and this year. Last year they cut our hours down little by little, 10 hr one week 5 hr the next, then none. I was shocked when I got my schedule and had NO hours, with NO notice. This year has been horrible. They only brought us in for a month before starting to cut our hours down. I feel bad for the people they string along. They kept 5 out of 200 people last year. The floor supervisors and leads run around crazy all day because there is no coverage. The new specialties are nice but they have too much work as well. The specialties on my team are always on projects or something so they are never actually sitting with our team answering questions.

Advice to Management

Be honest from the start. Tell people this is SHORT term and TEMPORARY. Do not make people think that if they "do a good job" they will get a job. I see coworkers doing an amazing job everyday and they are never getting kept. Hire more leads and specialties, they are stressed out and stretched to the max.