Minted Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Minted Founder & CEO Mariam Naficy
Mariam Naficy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It is the best drama free work environment (in 13 reviews)

• perks like free snacks, bagels, lunch & beer o'clock every week support a strong team culture (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It takes 1 full year working full time to even qualify for benefits, so good luck if you have to go to the dentist (in 14 reviews)

• Very busy during the holiday season (in 13 reviews)

"A great company to work for and it keeps on growing!"

I have been working at Minted full-time

Pros

- Continuous growth of 60-100% each year
    - Talented and diverse staff
    - Entrepreneurial and artistic environment
    - Application of cutting edge management/learning/execution techniques/styles

Cons

- Additional/over expected work goes unpaid
    - Continuously pays under market salary for its brand recognition
    - Must require flexible work style (be able to understand and flourish with different flux of work volume during peak and off seasons)

Advice to Management

- Continue to match salaries according to industry and location standards
    - Offer better incentives to senior employees who have dedicated their time to the brand

"Software engineer"

I worked at Minted full-time

Pros

Gorgeous products, software and physical merchandise.

Cons

Things get repetitive and growth is limited.

3. "Amazing Team Culture"

Current Employee - Recruiting in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful, team spirited, friedly, they care about your future goals and are willing to help you grow. Casual and welcoming environment!

Cons

The pay is on the smaller side but they will promote from within. Sometimes it's a little quiet, but is comfortable and welcoming.

"Team Lead, Design Associate"

Former Employee - Associate Designer, Team Lead in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Designer, Team Lead in Oakland, CA

I worked at Minted full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a Team Lead and Design Associate, you get to build your design teams, assign roles and tackle a pipeline of standard, custom, escalating and customer service orders. Design Associates hone design editing skills, especially photo editing, scripting for color correction (using Photoshop) and InDesign for fine typesetting on all orders—accents on expedience and flawless editing combined. Working with a diverse group or multi-faceted designers from different backgrounds and disciplines. Really it’s about the people, at the end of the day—knowing that you all check eachother’s work mutliple times and work with customer service and QA/QC on reprints on really tough orders.

Cons

Little to no opportunity to shift over (promote or move from within) to Production side of things, or Operations where products are made. Talented Designers feel resentment at the high level of division of labor and siloed teams. The culture ends up feeling very clique-ish and tiered for little reason. At times, during the high-volume Q4, the work environment shifts so much, can feel very cramped as temporary, seasonal and sometimes unqualified designers come through for this 2-3 month extreme period. The nature of the business is predicated on seasonal cards, wedding and special products like art prints or letterpress. Working on these special areas takes a long time to break into the group and there seems to be a lot of unnecessary competing personalities and turf battles.

Advice to Management

More promotion and hiring from within Design Associates over to Production or Operations. More opportunities for Design Associates to have their input from both a stakeholder and UX advocate standpoint. More opportunities to move into different roles, advance in the company and grow with Minted. It feels highly stagnant after about 1 year. The down times (slow seasons of the year) bring tremendous opportunity for DAs to work on myriad other projects to bring bottom line growth, change policies and systems for streamlined results.

5. "Merchandise Associate"

I have been working at Minted full-time

Pros

-beautiful office
    -nice upper management
    -training sessions are helpful!

Cons

-work is repetitive
    -salary isn't great

Advice to Management

allow your contractors to help with other projects :)

"It wasn't right for me"

Former Employee - Lead Product Data Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Product Data Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People. You will work side by side some extremely talented folks.

Cons

To start, there's very little training into the vast, internal structure. There is a ton of in-speak, acronyms, and politics to understand to be effective.
    You will be expected to know everything with no training or proper on-boarding support from mangers.
    Managers tend to focus on harshly exploiting your weak points with no recommendations or support for improvement. Managers will barely acknowledge your strengths or achievements. If you have a bad relationship with your manager don't expect much help or mediation. When I asked HR who to talk to about being mismanaged and verbally abused by a co-worker I was told that I shouldn't bring it up and just power through. (This pissed me off.) One manger in particular has been known to gossip, if you work In merch ops expect every private discussion with your manger to be spread amongst your co-workers.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate yourselves & others mangers. Placing someone as a manger just fill a spot creates frustration & bad moral. Peer to peer reviews are not a good idea when tension & frustrations are high. Many people received rather harsh peer to peer reviews, why HR or mangers gave these to employees is beyond me.

"Quality Auditor Supervisor"

Current Employee - Quality Auditor Supervisor in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Auditor Supervisor in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Room for growth, benefits (after 1 year of employment), flexible hours, fully stocked kitchen with staff, friendly environment, good pay.

Cons

I have none for this company! :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and ideas you bring to the team. Continue to thrive and help others grow and achieve their goals.

8. "Good people, but communication needs improvement."

I have been working at Minted full-time

Pros

Operations is an overall positive environment. If you can work through the cons, people pull together to make things happen.

Cons

Massive disconnect in communication between corporate office and operations.

Launches of new products are often last minute, not tested and without notification of operations teams.

Workforce is young, in need of structure, and a degree of maturity.

Wage is lower than average, seasonal employees are considered expendable.

Advice to Management

There needs to be much more transparency and communication between departments, not just within operations, but spanning the divide between operations and corporate.

9. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at Minted full-time

Pros

Good work Culture great work good learning experience

Cons

Tough interview process and great experience

"Design Associate"

Current Employee - Design Associate in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Design Associate in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Minted part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at the Oakland office is great because the atmosphere is very easygoing. The things I love:

- The flexibility of clocking in within an hour time period in the morning
    - Team meetings and various training for consistency
    - Snacks are provided, amongst other free goodies
    - The strong brand value

Cons

There are some things that are below expectations. I share these things as someone who absolutely loves Minted, first and foremost as a customer and participant in the design challenges:

- The pay is far below the minimum, especially for the Bay Area. This is not a place to have a career as a graphic designer. When I asked my manager if my degree would ever be considered in terms of pay, she said no. Though I have more knowledge than my superiors of design principles and also technical aspects of Adobe programs, I receive lower pay than others who do not have such skills, but have worked for the company a bit longer. If the company was truly based on metrics, then it would make sense to correlate pay with performance.

- It seems to be the norm for people to feel like permanent temporary employees, because many people are on contracts that have lasted for years. This leaves me to feel like I shouldn't expect to become a permanent employee anytime soon.

Advice to Management

There are so so many talented artists and designers working at theOakland office. Seeing as many people feel underpaid and also like they need to find other means of creative outlets, it would be great to see skills utilized and compensated for.