ModCloth Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 3, 2018

2.7
Antonio Nieves

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The employee discount is insane" (in 19 reviews)

• "The work environment was great everyone did their best to solve problems and leave no one in the dust" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "I sincerely hope increased funding from Walmart gives everyone still working there the job security that’s been absent for over two years" (in 20 reviews)

• "You can exceed all expectations and advancement will all depend on how close you are to upper management" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Loved working at ModCloth!"

Former Employee - EA to the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Technology Officer, Chief Financial Officer, CPO, CCO in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ModCloth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely loved working at ModCloth, my entire time there was amazing and I value the opportunity to work there! It was a privilege to work for and among so many talented, visionary, intelligent, warm hearted and supportive C level executives and colleagues. I would recommend working here to anyone that asked, its been an amazing 2 + years there and am so supportive of the direction they're going in. I will be following their future success closely as I know they're destined for more amazing things to come!
    Pros include:
    - The Executive level team is wonderful to support
    - So many opportunities to be involved with various campaigns and departments
    - Social media involvement and insight opportunities
    - Amazing co-workers
    - Great benefits
    - Fun team building activities
    - Fun office events / parties
    - Transparency throughout the company
    - Body positivity and all inclusive message and practice
    - Amazing support for growth
    - Feedback is encouraged
    - Amazing training / on boarding
    - Free snacks
    - Fast paced environment so theres never a dull moment

Seriously can not gush about how much I loved working here, I hope all future and current employees enjoy it as much as I did!

Cons

- Would be great to have more meeting rooms at the SF office
    - Bathroom situation is less than desirable

2. "Why to work at ModCloth"

I have been working at ModCloth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with will become like family! There fair benefits and additional perks!

Cons

Typical cons of the business such as cost of Health insurance. Also there's almost always system errors and glitches.

Advice to Management

Don't overlook Customer Care and the Warehouse. They are the foundation of the company. Also...please grow the tech team!

3. "Fun"

Pros

Fun work environment
    Fun team

Cons

Slow during the week
    Customers do not understand the model

"No recognition for hard work!"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Crafton, PA

I worked at ModCloth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are diverse and friendly.

Cons

Advancement depends on standing with management not numbers. You can exceed all expectations and advancement will all depend on how close you are to upper management. CEO has shown no intent to address problems brought up by the lower level employees and HR threatened to fire me when I brought up significant problems that should be addressed in a professional manner.

Advice to Management

Quit promoting your friends and focus on the workers that actually contributing to the day to day functions that make your company run efficiently. Hiring family and friends is a clear conflict of interest.

5. "Good People and Culture"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ModCloth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are amazing, work feels fun, great executive transparency, awesome employee discount!

Cons

Still a small company so there's so growing pains as they figure stuff out. would also appreciate more growth opportunities (especially in the Fulfillment Center)

Advice to Management

Care and foster people, give them more opportunities to grow and change with the business.

"I wouldn’t suggest working here to anyone !"

I worked at ModCloth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch once a week for full time employees ( temp employees have to pay )

Cons

First off my pay check was short more times then I can count , human resource will blow you off and do very little to help , many over times hours I wasn’t paid time and a half for even when they were mandatory !

Poor salary , no advancement what so ever , upper management is lazy and because of this employees are forced to work twice as hard as necessary to meet dead lines , favoritism , the employees that work in the office positions upstairs get treated way better and look down on employees who work in the warehouse , the warehouse is dirty... even by warehouse standards, they are always under staffed and will enforce over time at the last hour of the day. custodians never

There is no questioning why this place has the turn around that it does !

Advice to Management

Quit playing favorites , stop treating employees like they are stupid , stop talking about employees behind their backs ! Grow up ! Pay the employees better , every other warehouse position in the Pittsburgh area pays much better !,

7. "Easily the best coworkers I've had"

I have been working at ModCloth full-time

Pros

The title says it all. Just about all the people I work with day in and day out are smart, kind, and interested in doing their best work. And while there have been a few people here and there that weren't that great, most people, especially the ones that have been around for awhile, are what makes working for ModCloth different and why I'm actually for real giving it 5 stars (rounding up from 4.5). It hasn't always been 5 stars but right now it is.

Cons

Most fundamental problems with ModCloth, and there were some truly serious ones, have largely been addressed with the leadership change and the company is moving in the right direction. Get your money upfront, with talented people responsibilities get ahead of compensation and the company is slow to adjust.

Advice to Management

Things are looking up, great transparency, stay on the current path, invest in people

8. "One of the truly great 'culture' companies in the bay area"

I worked at ModCloth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. great co-workers
    2. the culture was great, they really tried hard to have everyone have their say and include everyone
    3. managers were very transparent and constructive in their feedback
    4. that discount was insane
    5. good benefits

Cons

1. maybe give MLK as an actual holiday, it just felt weird to have them talk about diversity but not mention him at all
    2. the bathroom situation at the SF offices were um, complicated, I just didnt want to be that intimate at knowing my co-workers bathroom habits
    3. there was a lot of talk about taking on more initiative but often times that a sort of ambition could be seen as political in its motive
    4. CEO needs to have a better plan to ensure job security (although he's a very likeable and personable person that was open to all opinions)
    5. The stories I heard about Pittsburgh need to be addressed

Advice to Management

rebrand is desperately needed at this point, stay open to everyone's ideas

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - N/A in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - N/A in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ModCloth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working there

Cons

Management is horrible. They do nothing for there employees. To much favoritism. Management comes and goes when they want. They cover up all the problems that employees have. Cant answer the basic of basic questions. Dont trust anyone in management and be very selective who you trust on the floor. They discriminate towards women. Try and make you feel dumb. Its a horrible environment. The ceo likes to talk a big game. But he is just as bad. Covers up for there incompetence. Just because there friends. Thats the biggest problem. There all friends and only look out for themselves. Management is also the laziest bunch of people i ever worked for.

Advice to Management

You guys are the worst people i have ever worked for. You should be ashamed of how you run your store. You guys / women are deplorable.

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ModCloth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you're management you can spend all day online shopping and drinking on the job.

Cons

Favoritism is ModCloth's brand.Full of cliquish bad managers who have a pack mentality. It breeds resentment, destroys employee morale, and creates disincentives. The management in Pittsburgh feels like a frat or sorority. It has strayed so far from it's roots.