ModCloth Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Matt Kaness

Pros
  • There was occasional work from home days when weather was bad, which was nice (in 13 reviews)

• Plus, great discount and benefits, wonderful work life balance, and there is a lot of opportunity to do things outside of your role if you want to (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • I sincerely hope increased funding from Walmart gives everyone still working there the job security that (in 18 reviews)

• I was hired for the holiday season but was let go just before completing my 90 days (in 15 reviews)

"Amazing Co-Workers, Terrible Upper Management"

I worked at ModCloth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with some of the most amazing people in the Customer Care department, and they really rose up to every task dealing with customer inquiries. Not only were they great workers, but they were genuinely the nicest people that I've ever had the pleasure of working with.

Cons

Upper Management. After I left, I found out that a ton of folks got laid off, most of whom didn't deserve it and were integral parts of the operation. I feel that upper management (CEO, CFO) made decisions that covered themselves rather than caring about the lives of all of the employees that were let go. It's truly disheartening to see such little care going into a company's employees when they preach the pillars of Servant Leadership (the upper management stick up for and help to serve their employees).

Advice to Management

Get it together. You clearly have no idea what you're doing and are making the poorest decisions possible. This may be because you don't actually listen to employee feedback/issues and take them seriously. Instead of getting rid of the people who are doing their jobs, maybe you should look in the mirror and think about what you're doing wrong.

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ModCloth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The coworkers in the department are great, and the team understands that we occasionally need morale boosters. Hard work is recognized, and management listens to your concerns and works with you on anything. Good benefits, flexible PTO.

Cons

From the mass layoffs that happen (seemingly) every quarter, to the direction the CEO is pushing the company, it feels like a sinking ship. They do nothing to boost company morale, and just fall of their sword when things go wrong. Most employees lack total confidence in their job security. It's a total drag these days, and it just keeps getting worse with the decisions Kaness is making. Customers recognize it, employees recognize it, and it feels like there is no where else to turn.

"Beating a dead culture"

Former Employee - Returns & Recovery Associate, Vendor Operations in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ModCloth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at ModCloth for nearly four years and made many close friends. Most lower-level employees and some first-line managers have serious heart - they truly care about the company and the work they're doing. If you tend to have an optimistic outlook and you're lucky enough to work under someone who cares about their work and their employees, this is not a terrible job to have for a while.

Cons

I worked my way up from the fulfillment center floor to an office position, however my last position still involved a lot of floor work. I consider myself lucky, as opportunities to move up are few and far between.

Layoffs seem ever-impending. I was let go with many others October 2016, and heard that another "reaping" occurred January 2017. The longest time between layoffs that I experienced was less than two years.

The culture used to be strong at ModCloth, but it has declined over the past couple of years, and I don't see it improving with Matt Kaness and the route he has decided to take.

The company used to stand for inclusivity, body positivity, and equality of all kinds, but tomorrow it will be publicly announced that ModCloth has been acquired by a subsidiary of WalMart, the company that thought it was okay to title a halloween collection "Fat Girl Costumes". Nice! Clearly, ModCloth's values have been thrown out the window. The Internet only knows of the sale because an employee recorded a company-wide meeting and sent it to Jezebel. That act may be considered unethical, but it is exactly the kind of behavior that is nurtured and encouraged by a decrepit culture like ModCloth's.

The company mission has been neglected for too long. The once strong and positive culture is dead and well past revival. The remaining employees who truly care about their work, if there are any left, are likely to react appropriately to the disheartening news of the sale. Working for ModCloth used to mean working toward something positive - working for equality, working for women, working to help people feel good about themselves - and the culture at that time was incredible. I don't envision working for WalMart feeling like anything more than working for a paycheck.

Advice to Management

I don't think what you've done can be reversed.
    Employees and customers have lost faith.
    The end is nigh. Good luck out there.

"Its brand and morals died long ago."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ModCloth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best coworkers you will ever meet. Cross my heart.

Cons

I was lucky enough to start at ModCloth in 2013, when it existed as a caring, creative amalgamation of the most incredible people I’ve ever worked with. They were and continue to be my closest friends, even though most of us no longer work there. Some quit, most were fired, and many (myself included) were told that they would eventually be let go, forced to essentially watch a brand they so cherished crash and burn as they waited 6 months (yes, 6!) for the end. Sidenote: an exec at the time apparently apologized offhand for the messy August 2016 layoffs by saying with a laugh: “You know when a hunter shoots a deer, but doesn’t get the kill shot, and the deer just has to bleed out in order to eventually die? That’s kind of what we did to you guys.” These are the kind of tone-deaf people that are in charge.

As we waited for our end dates, it became clearer and clearer that ModCloth had abandoned its mission long before the August 2016 restructuring. There is ZERO TRANSPARENCY and you are safe to assume that anything an executive says is a lie.

Matt Kaness is a manipulative, uncaring person to his core. At all-hands company meetings, he would stand at the front answering “questions submitted to him by employees” off a piece of paper. No employees received any call to submit questions prior to the meeting. He made the questions up so he could announce twisted plans under the guise of transparency.

Most importantly: Matt Kaness hates the plus-sized community. Entire campaigns would be taken down from the site after he caught a glimpse of plus-sized models who didn’t fit his hourglass, size-10 limit. The whole Retire the Plus scheme to have customers shopping together in one, utopian fantasy was a SHAM in order to focus less on plus sizes, and it is entirely what caused ModCloth to hemorrhage money beginning November 2015.

The moral disconnect the comes with the Walmart acquisition doesn’t surprise current or former employees in the slightest. I sincerely hope increased funding from Walmart gives everyone still working there the job security that’s been absent for over two years. I’m thankful to ModCloth for giving my career its start, I’m endlessly thankful for the people I met, and I’m thankful to be out of that toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Please, please step down, Matt. You're either going to continue veering this company into the ground, or take it to a place that's unrecognizable to the passionate employees and customer fanbase that give it its heart.

"Pittsburgh's Worst Employeer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ModCloth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generous Employee Discount, Benefits package has been good but is subject to change each year, There are great people still left here. Dog friendly office.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive with local or national industry standard. HR and Managers will manipulate job descriptions to artificially keep wages down. Managers are literally out to lunch and constantly drinking on the job. Lay offs are regular. Bonuses are a myth.

7. "Seasonal Employee"

Former Employee - Customer Care Advocate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ModCloth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home on holidays/bad weather, lots of free coffee/snacks, very friendly coworkers, and overall relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Not much communication between departments, current system limitations cause lots of issues that could be fixed with an upgrade, not much job security. I was hired for the holiday season but was let go just before completing my 90 days. It's a shame it didn't work out because I liked being there.

Advice to Management

Foster better communication between departments, and provide better policies and systems to allow your Care employees to better assist customers.

"I loved ModCloth (until I started working there)"

Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ModCloth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

--great discount
    --friendly coworkers
    --unlimited coffee/tea/hot chocolate
    --some limited work-from-home opportunities
    --gym on-site
    --small prizes for good performance

Cons

--Horrible CEO is dismissive of plus-size models/customers (which is sad, because that's what the company is most famous for!)
    --The CEO also sends really weird, ridiculous emails out about his vision for the company and you can't say anything about it
    --management doesn't stick up for you if you have problems with customers
    --benefits like work-from-home can be canceled with almost no notice
    --you can do a really great job, but management will always find fault with your performance so you don't "settle"
    --management tells you to do one thing, then can punish you for it (for example, use a certain amount of emoticons per email--but then you get points docked for having emoticons)

Advice to Management

The CEO is really what's tanking the company. Isolating your plus-size customers is a horrible business move, especially since that's where you get all your good press!

"Dead end"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

There are (were?) some truly fantastic people at this company

Cons

ModCloth bills itself a company that's about inclusivity, body positivity and feminism. I think there was a time when the company actually upheld these ideals. All of the aforementioned values are a farce now, as the current CEO is unfit to uphold these values. His "affections" towards the more attractive female employees hasn't gone unnoticed and his reputation is a going joke amongst most of the company.

At this point, ModCloth's mission is that the investors get out with some fragment of their initial investment so that it's not a total loss.

There is a double standard for management's behavior vs. everyone else. Executives sleeping off a hangover in the LA office because they're out partying since they're away from the family should not be acceptable.

ModCloth has a great history, but it's history. The organization is a shell of it's former self & you will not find what they're selling if you choose to work there.

Advice to Management

Just become an Urban Outfitters clone already. It's obvious leadership is incapable of any vision beyond something they've already seen.

10. "ModCloth was my dream job!"

I worked at ModCloth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ModCloth hires some of the best people around - not only are they very smart, it is an environment with such creative, helpful, supportive, fun people! I loved being able to interact with a number of different teams, there is high visibility, and you can make a huge impact. Plus, great discount and benefits, wonderful work life balance, and there is a lot of opportunity to do things outside of your role if you want to. ModCloth also has wonderful values and a great impact on the fashion community. They have revolutionized the approach to fashion for all, and it is a wonderful feeling to be a part of a company that is making such a positive impact in the industry. The executive leadership is transparent and are wonderful leaders who truly care about each employee's opinion and role. I have never found a company whose values aligned so perfectly with my own! And they truly prize individuality - it was great feeling like I could be my authentic self and be appreciated for it.

Cons

ModCloth continues to have ups and down and has gone through a few rounds of layoffs in the past few years. I truly believe in the company, the leadership and the vision and values, and I want to see them continue to succeed!

Advice to Management

Don't lose the pieces that make ModCloth so wonderful during this time of transition. Do what you can to keep morale up - continue to be transparent and supportive and keep the employees in the loop as much as you're able. Eventually, improve your maternity leave policy to continue to support this woman-centric company and attract talent.

"The disappointment is real...and inevitable."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Fantastic open PTO policy, dog-friendly workplace, laid back environment which also provided fluid work stations throughout the complex to encourage freedom and create community amongst employees, weekly catered lunches at a low cost, extremely generous employee discount, great healthcare premiums.

Cons

There is a horrible lack of communication throughout the organization. All of the executives are stationed in the CA offices, and you basically only see them or hear from them when there is a problem. There is a very definite East Cost/West Coast disconnect. Additionally, in my personal experience, the Department Manager was seemingly almost completely out of touch with what was actually occurring within the department and provided little support. However, the most glaring concern is the constant threat of layoffs: you will not find career stability or security here.

Advice to Management

Management, you need to take an honest and sincere look at the current state of the company. The ideas and methods you are currently using clearly are failing as is evident in the amount of employees that have been let go within the past six months. There were numerous C-level hirings during my time with ModCloth, and I watched the company go from success to scraps in that time. The company has, as they say, "bit off more than they can chew." Too much money invested in too many projects that provided too little payoff. Perhaps the staff that are actually doing the day-to-day work should stay, and the questioning eyes - and cuts - should be focused on the current leadership instead.