ModCloth Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 10, 2018

2.7

Associate Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ModCloth (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Meet with multiple people of the team and also have a phone call w/ the CEO. It was a great experience and very thorough. They provided a great understanding of what it would be like to work for the company and what the role would be like.

Assistant Technical Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at ModCloth (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

At the time I was living out of state, and I flew down at my own expense for an interview in August 2014 for an internship position. The interview was 3 hours long and consisted of meeting with four different people asking the same questions. I did not get an offer. I was contacted by a recruiter for an assistant technical design position in October 2014. I went to the interview which lasted 2 hours. Later in the week I got a call from the recruiter saying that they wanted me for the job, but that they had to hold all new hires. She said that the new budget would be out after the new year, and she would keep in touch. I was the one to contact the recruiter in January, and she had no news. Every month I would follow up, and there would be no news. In July 2015, the position was posted online for a technical Designer. I emailed the recruiter to inquire about the position, saying I was still interested. She replied with little information, and I emailed again twice but got no reply. I emailed a third time, and was informed they promoted from within.

Assistant Technical Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ModCloth (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

1. Interview phone call with the Hiring manager
    2. Interview phone call with the Technical Designer
    3. Came into Modcloth Los Angeles and interviewed with 6 different people for 2 hours. They came by themselves or in groups of 2. Everyone pretty much asked the same exact questions, so it seemed kinda pointless and a waste of time to have to repeat myself 4 times in a row.
    Overall everyone was super nice and easy to talk to

Interview Questions

• Everyone asked - If you had a lot of work to do and knew you wouldn't finish, what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ModCloth (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

There was an all day interview process which seemed very traditional. Typical software development and Ruby questions were asked. I didn't feel like I was really grilled on the intricacies of the languages, which was nice because those types of questions aren't really needed. There was a pair programming sessions at the end of the day that felt pretty rushed.

Interview Questions

• What would an ideal day at work be like for you? What about a very unideal day?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation phase seemed somewhat broken. They didn't ask my salary requirements, but presented me with an offer that was lower than I expected.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ModCloth.

Interview

This was an initial phone screening. A friend had recommended this company and sent my resume to their HR dept. The purpose of the phone call was to get a generally understanding of the state of the company, the state of their engineering team and my background. The phone call lasted 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• As a candidate I want to be sure my time is spent where there is a sound strategy for success. So I asked the in house recruiter where the company would be in several years. The answer was, hopefully an IPO. That really worried me. As an interview candidate, I recommend vetting out this companies goals to see if any exist. Not being able to describe the product and saying you're there because you want to be part of an IPO is a bad sign.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at ModCloth (San Francisco, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Had a phone screen interview with them after solving a programming challenge on CodeEval. It was very brief and they replied in a few days that they weren't interested.

Advertising Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ModCloth (San Francisco, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

Was contacted almost immediately via e-mail by a young recruiter. After stalking her on linkedin, I found out that she hadn't been there very long which explained her odd--almost abrasive--interviewing style. At the end of the 30-or-so-minute interview, she sent me a skills test via e-mail. The "quick" test was super extensive and took 3-4 hours to complete which annoyed me. Upon completion, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. I talked initially with the recruiter and then with 3-4 other employees. Went seemingly well, but after a week or two of not hearing results, I contacted the recruiter and was immediately sent a standardized rejection e-mail. Needless to say, I will not be purchasing any modcloth clothing in the near future.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for modcloth?   1 Answer

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ModCloth (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

This was a very extensive interview process, where I spoke on the phone twice with the initial recruiter, then at 6am with the a person on the east coast who had an equivalent position, in person with a 3 person panel, then an in person interview with a manager. The actual interview conversations were fairly casual, but the in person ones were almost TOO casual. Everyone was typing away on their laptops, which was distracting, and they all seemed very distracted too.

Interview Questions

• What are your hobbies and passions? How do they align with Modcloth's ideals?   Answer Question

Web Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ModCloth (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interview process was simple with a phone call with Recruiter and then call with VP and then onsite with two analyst. One analyst was very sharp while the other one may be expert in her field but had no clue how Web Analytics works. Very templated questions.

HR lethargic in giving clear answer or feedback. Some other candidate had the same issue. Not sure the HR or the hiring manager had any clue how mistreating an applicant can hurt their brand. Or many be they do not have any brand.

Interview Questions

• I knew about the subject matter more then the interviewers so there were no difficult or unexpected question. Both Analyst were stressed out and my effort to lighten up the mood went down the drain most of the time.   Answer Question

Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ModCloth (San Francisco, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

My experience would've qualified as reasonable if not for an unacceptable rudeness of the head recruiter who, after weeks of back and forth and multi-hour in-person interviews (that incidentally didn't work out), thought it was ok to dismiss me in a system-generated email and then proceeded to ignore my polite email requesting some post-mortem feedback... that is after I spent time and effort to interview at the company with a number of people and in person... don't tell me this is how "they" all are once they realize they don't need you... For the 1st time in my 15 year career I was treated in such a flagrantly insulting way... This guy is in charge of company's recruiting, so as far as I am concerned his behavior must be reflective of the company's position towards human resources - disposable and insignificant...

Interview Questions

• Nothing about the interview was particularly difficult or challenging, but I think there was no chemistry between me and the interviewers, and so the position ended up looking like an ill fit...   Answer Question