Modus Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
Aaron Katz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "One Washington Circle Hotel"

Current Employee - Night Auditor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Night Auditor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Modus Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Senior staff and general mangers care about employees well being and are very approachable.

Positive behavior is rewarded.

Free employee parking, dry cleaning , 50 % discount at the Circle Bistro restaurant.

Paid holidays.

Great opportunities for overtime pay.

Company outings.

You're allowed to keep 100% of tips and people tip frequently.

Very flexible with employees who are attending university.

Health and dental for full time employees.

Paid time off.

All co-workers have a great positive attitude.

Overall positive work environment.

Great opportunities for networking.

Out of the box thinking is encouraged.

Staff is very flexible with scheduling.

You would be hard pressed to find a company with similar values that actually adheres to them.

The company understands you have a life outside of work and encourages you to maintain a healthy work life balance.

Competitive pay for similar jobs in the area

Work environment is very relaxed yet professional at the same time.

Cons

90 day probation period does not include holidays. Its not a big deal though.

2. "Avenue suites pennsylavani av Nw, the heaven on the earth, close to GW university."

Former Employee - HOUSEMAN in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - HOUSEMAN in Washington, DC

I worked at Modus Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The housekeping departement manged byy jessica and hero assiustannt is thee top place to learn more about hosspitality, they have got enough exeprience to find ssolutions for any problem. They respect the staff all the time. They organise a free lunch twice a month for all even if someone is off at this time. Otherside the manager of houskiping department gets a deep understanding of the nature of job, which makes the journey looks easy even though a lot thing schound be done . All the finish at right time and if you put OT in shift you get paid the next paycheck. Flexible schudle, PT/FT for everyone, you can take a weekend off , you get paid for the holidays . Positive enviroment for student from GW university to get PT. Free WIFI help to improuve the communication between the leaders so avoid the missunderstood request, still the best place ever to launch a career.

Cons

Most immportant thing oor issue was the huge number of gest but all were kkind aandd very nice mmost the tiime. Finally the manager of houskeping departement help to make guest happy.

Advice to Management

Keep the same team to make more benefit.

3. "Modus Hotels!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Company culture is actually here
    Focus on work life balance
    Focus on development and training
    Properties are consistently ranked well on TripAdvisor - culture is felt at all of the properties
    Smaller company (that is growing with new development projects and hotel opening) if you're looking for that - you have an opportunity to make a difference and learn from some pretty experienced leaders.

Cons

Like every other hotel company, some of the properties are in need of a refresh and there are days where it can get crazy, but it's very manageable with the great service culture the company has.

Advice to Management

Continue to emphasize on culture. Keep ensuring leaders are available for facetime and open for questions.

Sep 2, 2016 – Sr. Director, Training, Communication, and Culture

We appreciate your taking the time to write this very helpful review. I noticed that the word "culture" came up several times; our colleagues are the true creators of our culture so thank you for... More

"Thumbs up for Modus"

Current Employee - Guest Service Ambassador in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Guest Service Ambassador in Washington, DC

Pros

I have been with Modus/RIver Inn for about 5 months and I love working here. Right out of the gate, my experience was positive. Our fabulous HR Manager was warm and friendly, even in the initial email inviting me for an interview. Usually you get a typical "give me some available dates" email, but she was funny, genuine and personal and that made me feel like they were excited to meet me. The interview process was more of the same with the different managers I met. It was conversational- not full of predictable interview questions and again, made me feel like they were interested in who I am as a person, not just another resume. My managers, Neal and Jackie, are also amazing. So is the GM. The training process was thorough and now that I have a firm grasp on my position, we are talking about ways that I can do more here to learn and grow. I'm optimistic about my future here.

Cons

The cons are mostly building related. Crazy HVAC system, older rooms etc. We make up for it with great service though.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

May 25, 2016 – Sr. Director, Training, Communication, and Culture

Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough feedback. I'm so happy to hear that your interview and onboarding processes were personalized. We aim to hire spirited individuals (like you!) who can truly... More

5. "Fast Paced, Collaborative Enviornment"

Pros

Modus has a strong culture and values and these are reinforced consistently. The company has a great entrepreneurial spirit, always looking toward the future and keeping an eye on the big picture.

Cons

Some of the hotels are outdated and in need of a refresh. More associate recognition would also go a long way.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about your front line employees, as they are the key to your service culture.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Guest Service Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Guest Service Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Modus Hotels (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with the company for two years and they have treated me as family. This company actually cares about you and your future. They have helped me grow my career in the industry.

Cons

I can not think of many cons. Working for a hotel does have its inherent cons, such as long sporadic hours.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue to take care of us all.

May 25, 2016 – Sr. Director, Training, Communication, and Culture

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share your feedback. At Modus, we strive to create a true learning environment where our team can develop and thrive. Our people are our greatest asset, and... More

7. "Guest Services Manager"

Pros

Great leadership with fun personalities. They are truly attempting a company that is worthwhile and taking care of their employees.

Cons

Some of their properties are distant(both geographically and mentally) from corporate which creates a feeling that certain properties/employees are more important. I do not believe that this is the case just a little more attention to other properties would fix this.

Advice to Management

Not much advice other than slightly improving on what I stated above but overall a great company to work for.

8. "Sales Manager"

Pros

There were monthly employee luncheons, a lot of young people, opportunity to grow and change positions in the company. Company outings and good culture.

Cons

There was a lot of pressure to meet sales goals from senior management, it was business dress every day, out-dated technology

9. "Better than most but there's always room for improvement!!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Modus Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-Workers make the job easy , the pay is just about average for hotels in Downtown DC, there plenty of advancement opportunities. As an agent you are empowered to make decisions that best fit the situation , rather than feeling helpless. Everyone in any department is willing to share knowledge and encourage you to develop your skills. Managers are always present but never hovering.

Cons

Benefits are costly, even with employer contribution, pay is average, scheduling can be an issue it is always changing. Managers will sometimes play favorites with promotions.

Advice to Management

Increase opportunities for employees who have impeccable history to advance. Not the old " While we like to promote from within , we really don't like to do so within the same property" Making sure that every front desk at every property has 2 persons on the evening shift instead of one would also be helpful.. Performance evaluations should be done in a timely manner along with rate increases, this should be done automatically without prompting from the employee.

10. "Great Environment"

Pros

I was able to advance in the company extremely quick, due to hard work that did not go unnoticed.

Cons

Small Chain, not many relocation options o