NAES Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 12, 2019

3.2
Bob Fishman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Regulation support, involved operations directors, good pay and benefits, training opportunities and conferences" (in 11 reviews)

• "great pay, great benefits good place to work for" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance was really non-existent" (in 3 reviews)

• "When our team is working late, no one offers to help" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Company in Energy Services"

I have been working at NAES part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Strong management teams.

Cons

Company is disbursed geographically which makes communication difficult.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on communication with your employees

"Lies and steals from employees!"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician

I have been working at NAES full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None that to speak of...keep looking!

Cons

They cut benefits package by taking 3% from our retirement, stole all of our sick time away, and will not provide a pay scale. This is the most dishonest company I’ve ever worked for. They don’t value their employees, do as your told & ask no questions...This organization is an absolute joke. They continue to steal from employees to line their own pockets...ruthless!

Advice to Management

Take some training on how interact with employees...send the HQ...you people are absolutely clueless.

3. "Operations Manager"

I have been working at NAES full-time

Pros

The benefits and PTO package is generous

Cons

They don't value employees as much as they could. Same as most corporations.

4. "Great place to work for"

Former Employee - Purchasing Specialist
    Former Employee - Purchasing Specialist

I worked at NAES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great pay, great benefits good place to work for

Cons

Only select employment opportunities must travel

5. "engineer"

Pros

Good opportunity and good outlook.

Cons

Need more investment on employee

"Re-org changed the culture into robot city"

Former Employee - Manager in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Issaquah, WA

I worked at NAES full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of my best memories are of my career at NAES. I loved the office (especially after the remodel), the people I worked with, and the relationships I built around working towards a common goal in a demanding job.
    NAES runs power plants very well...in general. Better than 90% of their portfolio is top ranked in KPI for generation. And those that aren't have legacy issues that prevent them from being there. There is a core of very impressive and dedicated people to helping make power plants run better.
    NAES is not horrible.

Cons

It's been several months now since a re-org found me without a job at NAES. I'm not bitter (anymore) as I love what I'm doing now even more than I loved my job at NAES. I waited to write a review until I felt like I wouldn't be spouting sour grapes. That said, if you're looking for a job at NAES HQ, beware that there is a cadre of people that are out for their own career gains to the point that they will sabotage the work of people around them to get where they're going. And worse - some of them are managers now.
    The doors to actual change, new ideas, new strategies that are modern and organizing your work, department, and strategic focus on the future are closed.
    Some GM's and VP's talk a huge game of how NAES needs to be company of the future, but are 100% focused personal careers and esteem and the long-touted past glory days when NAES landed big clients and kept them for longer than one contract term. Those days are gone too. So the good ol' boys are stuck trying to rebrand the old hat into the new hat of new and better O&M but it's just the old tired ideas of the past.
    There are several new GM's of this or that, Directors of this or that, that have no experience managing people or profit centers.
    It's telling that 4 months after my layoff I've received no less than 5 requests for references and know that they and others have left their positions. For you technical people - look elsewhere if you want a job where a company honors you for the contribution you bring to the table and will treat you well. If you do go to work for NAES know that you owe them no loyalty and whenever you're ready to move on, just go. They will not treat you respectfully if they are ready to part ways with you no matter how long and hard you worked for them and how loyal you were. You need to remember that everyday - you should never feel like you owe NAES anything because that's the kind of company they are.
    The new regime is about automatons performing a task. Nothing more.
    Culture surveys, strategic plans, new ideas - kiss your ideas good bye for improving the corporate culture and future services or offerings. Unless management changes, they are only ever going to look out for their own paycheck, not look out for what NAES is to become in the next 20 years.
    If you're looking at Glass Door and wondering if you want to hire NAES to operate your plant - they're good, but not worth the premium they charge over other companies. Five years from now, unless things change in a major way, it'll be even worse. Just go with the less expensive guy and you'll get nearly as good as you get with NAES.

Advice to Management

Good luck. I truly hope you guys turn the ship around and can keep your big clients longer than a term or two and your big paydays and bonuses going. I also hope you listen to those in the office with really good ideas... and support them. They exist. Just come out of that quiet bubble you built and listen and you'll find that there are plenty of things NAES can do to be a profitable company of the future.

"auxiliary operator"

I have been working at NAES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Heavy emphasis on safe work.

Cons

No work life balance and benefits package can be better.

"OK Place to Work"

Current Employee - A/R in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - A/R in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at NAES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of friendly people at HQ!

Working with the ETS AR team has been a journey, but a fulfilling one so far. Our team controller works hard along side us and is dedicated to her work. When we have to work late to meet deadlines, she stays late with us and gives us the support we need to be successful. I enjoy working with her!

Our CFO doesn't act like he's better than anyone else. He shows appreciation and actively supports his "FIT" team.

Cons

The world revolves around NAES and having a work/life balance is the least of their concerns.

When our team is working late, no one offers to help. Not even the other people in the A/R dept. on the PPO team, even though we've helped them out a lot so they can meet their deadlines. The PPO controller doesn't know what he's doing and doesn't lift a finger to help his team.

There is a lack of communication between the different departments.

There isn't a clear outline of job duties, responsibilities, and/or procedure for my position. If this information is available, it wasn't given to me.

Advice to Management

Get the sexist men out of the workplace. Everyone is equal and should be treated as such. These individuals are chasing off the good employees.

"Glad to be here"

Current Employee - Control Room Operator in Whitewater, WI
    Current Employee - Control Room Operator in Whitewater, WI

I have been working at NAES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay. Good benefits. Lots of vacation. Lots of OTJ training.

Cons

Crazy hours (but that is the deal on the ground level of this industry)

Advice to Management

Empowering employees to learn and participate at all levels is a win-win. People build skills and everything runs smoother. Staying flexible with vacation requests keeps everyone happy.

10. "Good company"

Current Employee - Plant Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Plant Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at NAES full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Regulation support, involved operations directors, good pay and benefits, training opportunities and conferences.

Cons

Contracts are owner-friendly, giving very little if any protection to employees in event of layoff if non-union.

Advice to Management

Fix your contracts to provide employee protection; Change for the sake of change is not always good or necessary;