National Income Life Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
National Income Life CEO Roger Smith
Roger Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Potential to earn lots of money (in 7 reviews)

• Get rewarded for your hard work (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours in the beginning or until you can do well on your own (in 13 reviews)

• Hard work until you get into the swing of things (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great place to build your career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at National Income Life (More than a year)

Pros

The Albany office is under new management and has really turned things around. Wonderful team environment that is supportive and driven. Great place to get your foot in the door and grow into a fulfilling career. I was hesitant at first, but I'm so glad I went for this opportunity and am thankful to be here. Great job satisfaction in helping people.

Cons

Definitely a position where you get out what you put into it. Not for anyone who is not motivated and unwilling to put in the work.

"A great place to build a career"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Rochester, NY

I have been working at National Income Life part-time

Pros

An upbeat and supportive office culture, management that is there to work with you to make sure you meet your goals, and opportunities to build a career within the company both as a representative or manager in the field helping our customers or as administrative support in the office to help keep the wheels turning!

Cons

A lot of the opportunities are largely self directed, management is always there to provide support and advice, but in the end it is up to you to make the most of the resources provided to you so being a self-starter is a must.

3. "Benefits Coordinator"

I have been working at National Income Life full-time

Pros

you can make as much as you want but theres a learning curve associated with a serious time commitment

Cons

long start up before getting paid

"Supervising agent"

Current Employee - Suprivising Agent in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Suprivising Agent in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at National Income Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No ceiling on the amount of money you can make . They do not limit your growth as well.

Cons

You will have to work harder then your use to . When you are starting a new career you must have a strong take off .

"Financial ruin"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in New York, NY

I worked at National Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When it comes to this company there is no real pro. You do don't make your own hours as advertised and it is not a salaried job as all the ads for the job fail to post its 100% commission and imply that it's salaried.

Cons

Your managers will lie directly to your face with not only the interview itself for example, "there is zero cold calling, you will only work with union members, you will not be door knocking, you make your own hours" etc etc. during the interview I was told I would be working 5 days a week which turned out not to be true as I worked 7 days a week and had to go to an event every Saturday to get referrals. At these events they would have us tell parents that we are part of the child safety department for local 277 and we were not supposed to mention we were a life insurance company. There would be prizes at the table and the only way that the parents could enter the raffle is if they gave atleast 5 referrals for parents who had children. No one ever won the raffle but if you wanted to make a good impression on the parent you would need to go out of your way and spend your own money on a nice toy for the child. In many cases once the parent realized we were trying to sell them life insurance they would loose complete interest in you and in some cases kick you out of their house. Management would give you recycled leads in which they would not tend to buy and were not comfortable giving a minimum of ten referrals. The referrals in most cases were also not union. Most people had no idea why we were calling them and did not like that we would come to meet them under false pretenses in order to try and sell them life insurance. Management would also change the in office bourse frequently in order to have you spend more time in the office then what was discussed in order to do script training and advanced training. For call nights they want you to download an application called sideline so you can make your phone calls, which for iPhones cost money. The managers would make up new rules they saw fit for that day. Beware of national income. If you decide to sign up with them there is a good chance you will not last and get financially ruined in the process as it can be months before you see your first paycheck as it is a 100% commission job, and if you are not coded (making 1000 ALP or more) you will not see the money from those sales until you are coded.

Advice to Management

Get some morals and ethics. Additionally this company is now under investigation by the better business bureau, for unethical business practices.

"Work Here at Your Own Risk! Shandy Hiring Practices"

Former Employee - Benefits Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Benefits Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at National Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Yes, the potential to make money is there and I truly believe you can make the salary they are saying you can make. Keep in mind that a large portion of your income is dependent on your ability to get other people to sign onto the job and succeed at selling the product. If you're willing to do anything necessary to rope-a-dope other people into this scheme, you may be able to make quite a decent salary.
    -The product seems legit. I did the research and there are no screaming red flags. That alone seems to keep it out of the "pyramid scam" territory, but just barely.

Cons

OH BOY
    - The recruitment process is one of the sketchiest I've seen around. National Income posts vague job board ads to try to con adults into selling insurance policies. Answers are not straight forward and attempts to even get the name of the company you're interviewing for will be thwarted.
    -The sketch continues once you get an interview. I was interviewed at the New Rochelle, NY office. There are no signs or decor showing that this is a National Income office. Everything is vague and nondescript and sparse, almost like, if needed, they can break down and skip out of town whenever. It looks like a pop-up office location that will move to a new location at some future date.
    -THIS IS THE BIGGEST CON: You will sit through a long interview process, including a detailed powerpoint presentation and, after being told the salary setup and job hours, the presenter (who will absolutely go into some long rag-to-riches tales) will casually drop the need to take classes in order to get a NYS licenses to sell insurance. The class costs $275 and are held by some corporation connected to National Income. It's NOT a lie that you need a license to sell insurance in NYS (or possibly anywhere). But at no point do they tell you that the cost to get one is less than $80. At no point do they inquire if you already have a license (I'm sure anyone possessing a NYS license to sell insurance never made it to the 2nd stage of the interview). It's obvious that they get some sort of kickback from having people enroll in these classes. Don't believe me? Bring up the official site they mention during the interview and point out the actual fees to obtain the license and listen to them squirm and insist that you MUST take THEIR class. Continue to insist that you feel capable of passing the test without needed to take a class and listen to them berate you as being negative and decline to hire you.
    -TO REPEAT/TL,DR: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO TAKE A NEARLY $300 CLASS TO OBTAIN A LICENSE THAT CAN BE ACHIEVED FOR UNDER $100! This upfront cost is never mentioned until the end of the presentation and there is ZERO option to proceed without paying for the class.
    -I've read enough reviews about National Income to see that their promises of a base income and warm leads are lies. This will be a near 100% commission-based sales job where you'll be chasing ice-cold leads and hitting up your loved ones to buy a policy.
    -The rating for this company is ridiculously lopsided due to the less-than-honest reviews. First off, ignore any glowing, 5 star reviews; this is a sales job and NO sales job is 100% perfect. Ignore the multiple reviews listed as "Opportunity Unlimited" since this is their tagline (and supposedly the name of their app, which I couldn't find. Probably got booted from the Apple App store due to poor reviews); these are obviously company shills. Ignore any reviews claiming that if you didn't succeed at this job, it's because you didn't try hard enough/weren't hungry or dedicated enough/somehow completely your fault. Whether or not you make the stated salaries at this job is far more dependent on your ability to follow cold leads, do some very hard sales, and convince strangers to sign on with the company than it is on your work ethic and capabilities. Not succeeding at this job is a bigger reflection on this company than it is on you since good companies with sound hiring practices will invest in your success via proper (and paid--as in they pay you and not the other way around!) training.

Advice to Management

If the product is legit and your operation is legit, then STOP MAKING YOUR RECRUITMENT PROCESS SO SHADY! Be upfront about the type of job this is. There are people willing and able to take on a job like this, but not everyone is and there's no point in tricking those people into this job. Be upfront about the costs and need to get specific training and licenses. Be upfront about your salary. Be upfront about your leads and how much cold-calling is actually involved. Just be upfront.

7. "Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - General Agent in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - General Agent in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at National Income Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's feels good to help protect the working families.

Cons

You are your own boss. You predict your success.

8. "Life Changing Opportunity"

I worked at National Income Life full-time

Pros

With this job there is unlimited growth, you are only limited by how much you want to work. The people are awesome to work with, and the paychecks are based on how you preform and how hard you work. The opportunity they gave me literally changed my life.

Cons

There are not many cons to this job, however you do need to be prepared to work long and hard to be successful. This is not a great opportunity for those who do not wish to work hard... Also there is a good deal of driving.

"Benefits specialist"

I worked at National Income Life full-time

Pros

Can be lucrative if sales is enticing

Cons

too many unknowns and variables

Advice to Management

be more upfront in the interview process

"Great for some, and bad for others"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Albany, NY

I worked at National Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The actual accidental program is priced very well compared to what's on the market, however they make you believe it's 5 to10 times better in pricing compared to aflac or Aetna. Those plans has other areas of coverage that nilicos accidental program does not offer. But still a good product strictly in terms of accidental coverage. The whole life policies or freedom of choice is priced about the same as others out there on the market. Higher whole life policies like select or executive are pretty good on rates but this can be had at other companies as well. The companies selection of term insurance or income protection is terrible. Yes it's renewable and convertible until 70 but it's like 3 times more expensive than traditional 10 year term policies. Accidental death rates are also much higher than most other companies. The child headstart programs of 25k WL and after 6 an extra 25k AD is pretty good amd affordable.The problem here is there's very little in terms of product selection to offer families.

The people were mostly great and they gave decent leadership. This job or career relied solely on your on effort. Straight commission, besides a mere 200 extra in your first few months if you made over 1k each week and then they capped it after reaching 10k. Bonuses were good of you sold well. Commission structure was well laid out for all who sold well to make some cheese. Actuall company benefits were terrible.... health insurance below average and company term group coverage was below average with every employee receiving 20k!!!most companies give 2 to 7 times salary as a death benefit which is more like 50 to 150 k, so with that in mind 20k sounds absurd for a insurance company. Retirement was below average as well.

For some, there's real money potential here. For others, this will be a good lesson learned. Much learned over a short period of time. Best part about nilico is their residual pay structure. Management is good in certain ways especially with training.

Cons

Long hours, not a lot of flexibility. Lots of training and memorizing scripts. Yes this company is a pyramid scheme in a sense where the top do very well, however people at the bottom can do very well. Some do well while others don't. Some people in this sales environment treat it as a game, which is a little bit concerning especially when families protection is on the line. But still, this is a solid company which great sales tactics and room for growth

Advice to Management

Keep on moving forward.