Navstar Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Navstar President and CEO Joanna Alexis
Joanna Alexis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Field Service Engineer"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Navstar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great bennies and a staff that cares, especially recruiting.

Cons

I have no complaints. This is an amazing opportunity learn and grow.

Advice to Management

Baseball is cool. MLS tickets are cooler. Seriously this is not the forum for complaints. I have none.

2. "Great to work For"

Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navstar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

just started working with Navstar and thus far, they are a great company with competitive pay. The hiring process was smooth and straight forward. The senior recruiter, Chris Brown, was such a gent to work with. They are awesome plus they give out free event tickets.

Cons

Thus far I have no negative reviews but I sure will post if I have any negative encounters.

3. "Good company to work with"

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navstar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just started working with NAVSTAR less then a month ago. But so far, company treats me right and I am doing my best to treat company right. This is the right relationship I wanted to have with company and NAVSTAR helped me achieve it.

Cons

I don't really see negatives yet. Maybe I will not see any negative things about company. So far, I think I will not really see critical negative things about company.

Advice to Management

Not much. I think it is good the way it is.

"Exceptional Firm"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Navstar full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in for if you are a driven, knowledgeable, and team work focused IT professional. The VP, CEO, and Managers truly listen to what I think could help increase efficiency and have given me flexibility to be successful in ways that are unique to me. They have by far the best benefits I have seen in the Government and Intel IT solutions markets. Navstar has been able to maintain steady growth for a long time, while not compromising any core values, which is very hard to find in this industry.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

5. "Great Company to work for"

I have been working at Navstar full-time

Pros

This company cares about the employees. Great benefits and opportunities. I have never met a CEO that is as down to earth and kind like Joanna!! Very happy with my decision to join the Navstar team,

Cons

None that I can think of.

6. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Identity and Access Management Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Identity and Access Management Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Navstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was recruited by Navstar Inc. for an identity management position with a government agency in 2011. That was my first introduction to the company. I had to visit Navstar's office as part of the onboarding process. I met Joanna and Beth during that visit. I discovered that Navstar was a small woman owned company. When I walked in the office I felt something refreshing and peaceful. It seemed to me that I had come home after being away for so long
    I also wanted to mention some things that I appreciate about Navatar and their management style that distinguish them from other recruiting companies who I have worked for. First and foremost, Navstar recognizes and values their employees and “subs” for the contributions they make by holding monthly, quarterly and other special events. A typical recruiting company just pays their employees/subs a good salary and that is it. Navstar not only pays a good salary but they go above and beyond to value their employees. A few examples are: Employees are recognized by receiving achievement awards and bonuses when Navstar is profitable. Further, Navstar provides excellent training and mentoring for their employees.

Cons

The one disadvantage is that Navstar is a small company with a niche government market. After the contract I was on with Navstar ended in 2013 I was not qualified for their other projects. They went out of their way to help me obtaini an appropriate clearance for their line of work. But in the end I had to take a position with a large recruiting company who had an identity management opportunity.

Advice to Management

Please continue practicing the values you started the company with. These values will make your company continue to stand out in the industry.

7. "Great culture; cares about their employees!"

Current Employee - Corporate Team in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Corporate Team in Reston, VA

I have been working at Navstar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been in the DoD realm over 7 years now and I must say this is the best company I've ever worked for and I've been with several very good organizations. They truly care about their employees and offer amazing benefits (like no other company I've seen), PTO, and offer monthly perks including lunch, bonuses, and I can see that their focus is to strive to be a valuable company for the client and the employees, and this is evident from the top down. I am so glad I work here.

Cons

No cons that I have noticed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Nov 17, 2016

Wow! Thank you for your review! We always want to know what we're doing well (so we can keep doing it) as well as what we can improve on. So incredibly delighted to know we have been the best... More

8. "A company that listens"

Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navstar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with the company now for over 6 months. In just this small time frame, I have seen suggestions made by employees get implemented. I have seen processes get streamlined. I have interacted directly with the CEO and have her give direct feedback to me. Again, this is just after 6 months of being hired. This is a definite advantage in working for a small company like this, changes are implemented quickly, and employee feedback is acted upon.

Cons

You will find this with any contract company in the NOVA region, but one of the drawbacks is the competitive nature of government contracting, and the fact that contractors don't like to say "no." So there is a lot of work above and beyond the scope of duties you may be hired for. However, this can be taken as an opportunity to seize, and increase the footprint and value of yourself and the company.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to be even more aware of the state of their contracts and employees working them by having quarterly reviews.

9. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at Navstar (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay a good salary.

Cons

There is very high turnover at this company- beware. There have been many changes in management and the leadership team has little work ethic.

Nov 16, 2016

Hello former employee, I'm truly saddened to read your review and, I'm also disappointed that you didn't feel comfortable enough to reach out to me or, anyone else on the executive team to discuss... More

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Navstar (More than a year)

Pros

None that I can think about

Cons

If you are considering a position here at this time beware; they are going through major changes and management is unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate your employees. You are going to loose everyone that has helped you get to where you are.

Sep 21, 2016

As the founder & CEO of this company, its incredibly painful to read your review. At the same time, I very much appreciate your honest feedback and, I'm truly sorry that you did not feel... More