Network Data Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Al Siders

Pros
  • I was blessed to have worked at NDS (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • In my eyes NDS does not have any Cons (in 12 reviews)

• Heavily reliant on AT&T business has caused loss of work in the past (in 2 reviews)

1. "One of the best places I've ever worked at!"

Former Employee - NOC Team Lead in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - NOC Team Lead in McKinney, TX

I worked at Network Data Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management all the way from the top on down truly care for the employees. Not only for their professional careers but also on a personal level. I was blessed to have worked at NDS. I was mentored, challenged and encouraged to continue to grow personally and professionally. I consider everyone at NDS part of family!!

Cons

It can sometimes be stressful as in any other job.

"Company going in the wrong direction"

Current Employee - Director of Consulting in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Director of Consulting in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Free soda in the kitchen, and left over lunch food from customer meetings. Allowed to work remotely. Everyone gets a Senior or Director title. Extravagant holiday parties.

Cons

Company is heavily reliant on channel partners, especially AT&T. When AT&T cuts back, NDS always seems caught off guard and the employees suffer the consequences, not management or sales team. They are so eager to please AT&T that they once deployed a large enterprise customer's production environment on lab equipment without the customers knowledge, and no one was held accountable.

NDS has been trying to transition to a NOC centric, "Managed Services" company and has all but abandoned project work (turning down work that is "too small"), and in the process has lost many talented engineers. Model seems to be relying on a few talented Senior Engineers and then turn it over to the less talented, and often incapable, NOC team (see previous posts). NOC Management is arrogant and often inappropriate towards coworkers, yet is continuously rewarded.

After a round of layoffs last year, minutes after the announcements, management was overheard discussing where the next Holiday Party should be held. Where are the company priorities? Management is more concerned about their "Net Promoter" score than they are about employee happiness and growth.

Underperforming employees are not held accountable (a "Pro" if you're one of them)

Advice to Management

Stop relying on AT&T and other channel partners...hire some people that know how to sell.
    Hold the right people accountable.
    Dangling stock options, that may never come to fruition, is not an incentive plan.
    NDS used to be a "family", it hasn't felt that way since new President took over...he needs to be held accountable for the sinking of this ship.

"A typical company."

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A day at NDS is not a day at the day spa. It's a demanding workplace and it's work.

Cons

I have had to participate in a few creepy all company meetings where they announce a round of layoffs but then management tries to sell a story to those of us remaining that everything is alright. If management really thought everything is going to alright and that would be soon, why did they have to have the layoffs?

Advice to Management

Can someone in management give the NOC a reality wake up? The NOC seems focused solely at customers and appears to do a good job. The NOC is supposed to support NDS employees as well. I spend alot of time handicapped by the lack of tools and reliable technology which I am told the NOC is in charge of. NOC support for employees is awful.

Example 1: I participated in training this past week on project turn over. The audio conference went badly. I heard one NOC manager comment that this problem has existed for six months. Why wouldn't the NOC address this months ago?
    Example 2: I use Webex with customers. It's can be a really bad experience at times. When I talked to our NOC I was told Webex now only works with IE now and there is nothing the can do. I loaded up a free version of Webex and it worked fine. Why did my NOC brush me off?
    Example 3: The NOC mandated we upgrade our laptops to Windows 10. I have had issues ever since. The NOC has tried to help but one NOC employee told me that the issues I have been having has been called in by others since the migration. Why wouldn't the NOC proactively tell us how to fix these if they were common problems? I asked and I was told the reason are extremely busy with customer upgrades and issues.
    Example 4: I did try to bring issues like those in the examples to the attention to my manager. He told me that they know about the issues with the NOC like these and said he understood my frustration, shared his own awful times with the NOC, and told me the NOC has been allowed to act this way since he started, but I got no resolution. The cherry on top is that he left the company last week.

5. "Place with a great potential!"

Current Employee - NOC Engineer in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - NOC Engineer in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Network Data Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Friendly place to work- you are known by the name not by number!
    *Promotes learning- encourages its employees to learn new skills and obtain certifications.
    *Company pays for professional certification/s (Cisco, Juniper, VM etc)
    *Knowledgeable staff/ employees are eager to help each other.
    *Company is run by the outlined standards so there are no surprises when it comes to benefits and bonuses.
    *Fair Compensation, plus bonus.
    *3 weeks vacation plus 8 sick days after 3 years working for the company (2 weeks on the beginning).

Cons

*Somehow limited growth opportunities due to the company's size.

Advice to Management

Thanks for doing a good job!

"Enjoy the work and enjoy the co-workers"

Current Employee - NOC Engineer in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - NOC Engineer in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the work and the people are great. This company knows what they are doing. Managed services is starting to get good traction and has always had great margins.

Cons

Heavily reliant on AT&T business has caused loss of work in the past. The company is moving more toward long term contracts to compensate.

"Hands down the best company I have ever worked for."

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NDS Management and Senior Management make you feel like you really matter to the company, they go out of their way to make sure you have all the tools to perform your job successfully.
    I have worked for a lot of companies big and small over the years and NDS by far is the best place to work.

Cons

In my eyes NDS does not have any Cons

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing....

"Amateur leadership. Poor understanding of technology."

Current Employee - Consultant in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time

Pros

The best part about working here is listening to all the lies they feed you. They are frightened when someone knows more then them, which is frequent. You can work 5 hours a week and get the same praise as someone working 60 hours a week.

Cons

Will consistently be lied to.
    No accountability.
    Will never thank someone for long hours and hard work.
    Team leads who couldn't manage a dairy queen.
    Will probably be out of business in 5 years.

Network Data Systems Response

Jan 12, 2015 – VP Field Services

We have never intentionally lied to our employees and we are purposefully open and transparent when communicating our client’s desires and plans. However, we can be only as accurate as our client’s ... More

9. "Couldn't ask for a better company to work for."

Current Employee - NOC Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - NOC Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since starting at Network Data Systems, it has become very apparent that NDS cares about each and every employee.

Bi-weekly ticket reviews allow you to stay sharp with your skills and notice areas that may potentially need improvement. I really enjoy the monthly chats with the manager as well, which you are able to talk about whatever is on your mind; this includes topics such as your personal life, stress, professional goals, money, strategies to achieve desired goals, and anything else you could think of. During these meetings, one does not have to worry about being judged or having their private discussion revealed to other employees. It also helps to build a solid relationship with the manager and team lead.

The overall attitude in the NOC is a very positive one. It is a great feeling to be appreciated by management and other engineers when accomplishing a task, large or small.

On many occasions I am greeted by the CEO or President of the company upon walking in to work. They always greet me with a smile and a handshake, and I feel that they genuinely want the best for me. It is not like other companies in which the President/CEO doesn't even know your name; at NDS, they know exactly who you are.

Cons

I do not have any cons so far. NDS makes sure that all concerns are addressed as soon as possible, as long as they are aware.

Advice to Management

Continue to show dedication and compassion towards the employees. It is a great feeling to know that management actually cares about you professionally as well as personally.

10. "Deceptive business practices are prevalent throughout this organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Network Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the flexible work environment.

Cons

Recruiting will lie to you about the company, work environment, and career opportunities just to get you to join the organization. A common theme is they put "employees first and there is near zero turnover". I couldn't disagree more with this statement, they did not place a high value on employees and as a result - turnover was high.

Sales people will lie to prospective clients about the size of the organization and ability to deliver.

Account Managers will lie to customers about project status, ability to deliver, and resource availability.

Executive Management will lie to employees about pay structure and an employee's ability to meet goals.

Advice to Management

There is a real problem with business ethics at this organization that permeates throughout the company. They have lost their values in their quest to grow, which creates a toxic work environment. Executive Management needs to re-set the office culture and stress basic business ethics. Do not lie or be deceptive, it simply isn't worth it. They may receive some short-term benefit through this deception, but the long-term effects will be destructive.

Network Data Systems Response

Oct 9, 2014 – VP Field Services

Not sure where you received your data, but here are the facts. Our client net promoter score (NPS) for 2014 year to date is 86.5%. This score is consistent with scores achieved since we started ... More

"Respectful, Exiting, Challenging and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Executive and senior management always provide monthly updates, share information and listen to employee concerns.

Employees are valued for what they bring to the table and are offered opportunities to develop new skills.

Employees are willing to help each other - - The office environment in the Schaumburg office is professional but casual.

I am amazed and thankful at the frequency that employees are included in lunches when we have guest in the office.

My manager always makes time for me and I feel completely connected to the business and understanding what I need to do to be successful and to make the company successful.

Pay and insurance benefits are good and definitely at or above market.

Good opportunities for personal development as I have been able to attend pertinent training, conferences and work on a variety of projects that have given me new skills and experiences

I have made several recommendations for improvements and I have always been heard. Some have even been implemented.

The company offers many ways to give feedback - management often proactively reaches out to employees to get advice, there is a semi-annual employee survey, and conference calls led by senior management. I see a real effort to listen to employees and to really assess employee suggestions.

This is a place where you can really build your own career. You have to take ownership of your work and yourself, but it is very rewarding!

Cons

Honestly can't think of one! We are in an industry that always has challenges and intense competition, but the challenges make it one of the most rewarding places to work!

We don't have a 401k match but the company makes up for it with work-life flexibility, good insurance benefits and other perks.

Most employees are remote so it is not often that we all can get together and really get to know each other face-to-face.

Advice to Management

Continue reaching out to employees and sharing information

Communicate some of the business trends you are seeing and what you think is going to be the focus for NDS (technical and strategically) in your communications. This will help me do the right things and understand how I might be able to help.