OBXtek Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Accounting in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Accounting in Vienna, VA

I have been working at OBXtek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We're a family here. Everyone is equally important regardless of title. I enjoy coming to work and seeing my coworkers, who I consider friends. We have fun while getting the job done. Everyone helps each other reach the common goal. Hours and telework can be flexed when necessary and that keeps a good work/life balance. We're growing and have high hopes for the future. Nice benefits in a time when many companies are scaling back due to higher costs.

Cons

Only con is I feel the starting salaries are a bit low for the cost of living in the D.C. area. But enjoying my job and coworkers is paramount, so accepting lower pay was worth it. It's a personal choice the prospective employee will have to weigh based on their own situation and values.

Advice to Management

Keep growing, but don't lose sight of the small business and family feel.

"Good company after working here for a year"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at OBXtek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company overall. Tend to be flexible with work scheduled and have had a great work life balance here. The company has been growing rapidly and have witness us expand our HQ office space. I have also felt very appreciated here and never felt under valued.

Cons

A downside would be that the company has some growing pains as we expand but hasn't led to any major issues for me.

"Up and coming Company"

Current Employee - Network Administrator in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Network Administrator in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at OBXtek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Been on the same contract for 3 years and there is plenty of room to grow and learn.

Cons

Ignore the negative reviews. They are disgruntled employees who accepted their salaries.

Advice to Management

Maybe have a little better communication with contractors off site.

"Solid Company"

Current Employee - Project Mnagr in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Project Mnagr in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at OBXtek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I went from a very bad work situation to working for OBXtek. The difference was night and day. Better work-life balance, less stress and needless headache. I can honestly say this is the best company I have worked for in the last 20 years. Internal promotions are common.

Cons

It's government contracting. Not everything goes perfectly. Every contract is not a bed of roses. Rapid growth sometimes leaves support systems lagging. What I do see is that management is aware of issues and will directly involve themselves trying to correct things.

"Underpaid and overworked"

I have been working at OBXtek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get a pay check every month. They'll do spot awards and they do their holiday party in January.

Cons

Nutshell: Working for OBXtek has been dehumanizing. Every year I work for them, I feel more demoralized than the year before. Read the 1-3 star reviews, they all talk about the same things, breaking labor laws, being shifty, lying... I honestly was worried I've already reviewed them until I noticed that it wasn't my job title, they were former employees, or whatever. The good reviews are likely from corporate, that's why they mostly sound like a sales pitch. "We're a growing disabled-veteran owned business!"

Expanding to specifics:
    Generally, no one in corporate knows what they're doing--I've noticed that they're out of compliance with federal law more than is comfortable--and they knowingly or unknowingly lie to you basically every time they talk to you. I've worked for them for four years now, and in that time we've been through multiple software for different functions. Four or five for time keeping, three for benefits, payroll and HR has been two or three, ditto for travel... basically you're constantly learning new programs and procedures every few months.

That turn over is the same with their corporate team, particularly their project management team. The contract I'm under, seven different people have been my "PM" in the past four years. None of them have ever known my name when I've run into them during a fire drill when they were at the client location, on metro, at the holiday party. Though truth be told, I could probably only identify three of those seven when I ran into them places. One of them I never actually ever met at all.

While the lying to you is disheartening, sometimes their truth telling is worse. I was talking to an OBXteker who gets benefits through OBXtek, their cost went up for premiums, co-pays, etc. Asked HR why? Answer: because everyone else is doing it.

Truth: You will get a cost of living increase every other year at most. The amount will not be enough to offset the cost of living and increase in benefits. Right after they tell you there's not enough for cost of living increases, you'll get an email announcing all the new million dollar contracts that they've won.

In all honesty, I doubt they're making much of a profit. Their longevity can't be that good. With the turn over and ineptitude, the only thing keeping them in business is likely that they're classified as a veteran-owned business.

And worst of all, now I hate the Outer Banks because of OBXtek. I get so sad when I see OBX bumper stickers. I used to like vacationing there. Oh, maybe someday you can get a week at the CEO's beach house down there though!

Advice to Management

Work on quality over quantity. Show your workers you value them. Don't gouge your employees over health insurance because everyone else is. Hire people who know what they're doing.

"Great Place to work!"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at OBXtek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They really care about both the people that work for them as well as their customers. They allow the right balance of self-governance and management. That way you don't feel like you're being micro-managed and you don't feel like your all by yourself and isolated. Easy to schedule time off and vacations.

Cons

I would like to see the amount of time one can carry over in PTO increased. Currently its a good amount by should be higher. Also, I would like to see the 401K vesting happen on day one instead of later.

Advice to Management

Continue to uphold the corporate commitment to enabling a meritocracy and effective work/life balance. Continue to make the benefits better for the employees.

Jun 14, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We love hearing feedback from our employees, and how we can make working for OBXtek a great experience. It is important that we provide the best... More

"Growing Company - Great Support"

Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at OBXtek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great, vibrant working environment.
    Strong support of senior management.
    Provided all the tools necessary to meet the mission.
    Opportunity to grow projects

Cons

Office space needs to expand to accommodate growth.

"great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, TX

I worked at OBXtek (More than a year)

Pros

They care about their employees

Cons

they are growing so fast its hard for them to keep up

Advice to Management

more corporate staff to take care of the employees

"OBXtek violates wage payment laws"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at OBXtek full-time

Pros

There are no pros to working for OBXtek. I view it as a necessary evil, as I have the opportunity to do work I truly enjoy for the federal government as a result of my employment with OBXtek. OBXtek managers have almost invariably been mean and dishonest toward me.

Cons

The company underpaid me by more than a thousand dollars wages I had earned. I had to file a complaint with the Washington, D.C. Department of Labor, which ultimately found in my favor, and ordered OBXtek to pay me more than a thousand dollars in back wages, plus a monetary penalty. The company still hasn't apologized to me for its wrongdoing.

Advice to Management

Stop breaking the law.

Jun 13, 2017 – Chief Compliance Officer

I want to acknowledge your concerns. We did have some past issues within our accounting department. These are issues that we have done our best to work through. We have moved to both a new upgraded... More

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

Pros

I have worked for two other government contractors and can honestly say that OBXTek is by far the best I have encountered. They really care about their employees and I love that they are a small business because I have gotten to know pretty much everyone who works at corporate and even spoke with the CEO. They offer very competitive and fair pay and the benefits are great.

Cons

Being a small company, they do not have access to the amount of candidates that large contractors do so we have been struggling to staff my particular project but the recruiting team works around the clock and has done everything they can.

Jun 15, 2017

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! It is so important that we take care of our employees here at OBXtek. We strive to build a great work environment, provide excellent benefits, and foster strong... More