OMD Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
OMD CEO Mainardo de Nardis
Mainardo de Nardis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Nice team and colleagues plus nice working environment; Nice work life balance" (in 21 reviews)

• "great people to work with; interesting projects" (in 32 reviews)

1. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at OMD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Main office is awesome (basketball court, dog friendly, subsidized food, etc etc)
    -Large agency with high profile clients
    -Work closely with high profile tech companies (Google and Amazon to name a few)
    -Generous time off and occasional work from home
    -OMD's Programmatic team is one of the best in the industry (if not the best)
    -Free lunch from partners is very common
    -Great name to have on the resume

Cons

Honestly not many that I can think of

Advice to Management

-More work from home?
    -Play music in the bathrooms
    -A gym facility would be nice

2. "It’s okay"

I worked at OMD full-time

Pros

The people you work with directly aren’t great.

Cons

No work life balance, would often stay late multiple times a week to meet client deadlines.

Advice to Management

Stick up for employees

3. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at OMD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Summer Fridays. Promote from within.

Cons

Abusive management (not all but some).

Advice to Management

Treat your workers with respect

"It REALLY REALLY depends on the client and team"

Current Employee - Strategist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at OMD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started here as an assistant (entry level) and I had no expectations. They (informally) train you on all the programs you're going to use and the process for doing everything. The pay is SH*T which is a huge bummer but its 100% industry standard. I had a bunch of friends in different agencies with the same pay for the same position, so don't be bummed. After one year or so you move up/get promoted so it's not all for naught.

Anyways, you're going to read so many conflicting reviews here because like some people said it depends on two things: the team, and the client. If the client is nice and not overbearing, you're gonna have fun. If your team is fun and not overbearing, you're gonna have fun. You learn alot about how the industry works and all the skills you receive are transferable.

Cons

It's an agency, so turnover is HIGH. When I started, my Group Director left a week later, and then a few supervisors after that, and it was just so hectic. Sometimes things are thrown at you if you're entry level, and everyone is pulling you from all sides. Sometimes, you might lose your account and be moved to another one, which is even more hectic, but again, ,that's agency life. Other cons are we no longer have summer parties, we're moving from cubicles to open floor seating (bye bye privacy), you might have to stay in past 8, and all of the company's money is thrown into these stupid town hall meetings

Advice to Management

FORMAL training would be AMAZING. Give us a day where we go over DoubleVerify, how MA's are processed, how to use Prisma, etc. etc. Walk us through the process instead of giving us parts of the process to complete in different order.

5. "Associate Director"

I have been working at OMD full-time

Pros

People are great, team environment is crucial for success

Cons

c-suite and high level upper management seem out of touch with reality

"Analyst"

I have been working at OMD full-time

Pros

Great people and hours aren't too bad for an agency

Cons

Upper management/C-Suite is so out of touch with the day to day operations of this company.

High turnover, and when people leave they are extremely slow to replace them

"Look elsewhere. It's a sinking ship."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Playa Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at OMD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Summer Friday's and great open style office.

Cons

Everything is banned here unlike other agencies. Summer parties cancelled. Completely dry campus. Way too much office politics. No one looks out for your career or cares. People are being let go or giving their two weeks notice at a rate faster than any other company I've ever seen. 1/2 the senior leadership team left because of the way this company is running.

Advice to Management

Management needs a complete overhaul.

8. "Assistant Strategist"

Current Employee - Assistant Strategist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Strategist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OMD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a very social work environment with great colleagues. This is a great first job out of college -- you learn a lot about media and have fun at the same time.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like there is either too much going on for junior team members to pitch in. Other times it feels like there's too little. Can be slow at times.

Advice to Management

Take the time to really invest in Assistants and Strategists. We are eager to jump in.

"Toxic management (particularly in marketing science) and truly awful work climate"

Current Employee - Supervisor, Marketing Science in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor, Marketing Science in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at OMD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- the work you get to do on a day by day basis is quite interesting
    - it can be a stepping stone to get a better job somewhere else

Cons

- the work climate is extremely toxic, expect to be treated with a lot of contempt and disrespect, belittled, bullied and made fun off
    - employees are not respected here, worked hard until they burn out and then discarded / fired despite stellar performance. I'm lucky to still be here, but have seen this happen to several people in my time here
    - even managers pretending to be friendly and understanding will use you opening up to them against you later down the road
    - promotions are completely arbitrary and based almost solely on a system of favoritism. there's no transparency to the process not giving you the slightest bit of control over it
    - all in all a system of fear and hierarchy is established that benefits management and whoever cozies up to them, while other employees are misstreated

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees like humans first of all! People give their everything working here and it is not acceptable that some of the best performers simply get tossed out when they show signs of burnout. Also, please take an aggressive stance against bullying and mobbing, because right now the climate is a hundred times worse than in any other place I have ever worked at.

"Politics Trump Everything"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at OMD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Under Omnicom umbrella, competitive benefits. Legacy / large clients provide "cornerstones" that keep the ship from sinking. New managing director may breathe hope, integrity and focus on client business.

Cons

Has seen a revolving door at director level, like many media investment management companies. Panders to entry-level / Gen-X, Y & Z'ers. Was way behind the 8-ball in digital automatization. Account I worked on had 30%+ in direct buys that were manually optimized and consumed 99% of the team's hours, with unproven results and confusion regarding performance metrics.

I have worked long hours in my career and never took issue with it. However, after approx. 1 year of working routinely until 10p, weekends and several times until 3am - - I was astounded that this was expected / encouraged.