OPSWAT Reviews | Glassdoor

Benny Czarny

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OPSWAT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at OPSWAT for a couple months now. I must admit I was nervous from some of the Glassdoor reviews when I interviewed. What I have experienced is not at all what I read on Glassdoor.

I have found the management (including the CEO) to be honest, direct, helpful, and overall very pleasant people to work with. I have found all of the staff smart, funny, and delightful people to be around.

The culture of the company is one that seems hard-working, but also one that likes to have fun. They seem to have improved and enhanced their communication style. I feel that I am heard and valued.

Benefits at the company are mostly well above average. There are many perks and fun events for all the staff. The offices are beautiful. It really is a nice environment to work in.

Overall you should be dedicated, communicate well, and are good at working with others. If you have these attributes they will serve you well at OPSWAT.

Cons

The only suggestion I would have is that they could perhaps observe a couple more holidays. This is one area where they are a little bit lower on the spectrum

Advice to Management

Continue to empower employees to do the best they can. Continue to reward good work and foster positive culture. Continue to communicate well.

"Maybe not"

I worked at OPSWAT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros are few. Some not even directly tried to the company.

PROS: Whole Foods and some life-long friendships. Experience for your resume.

Cons

Hi OPSWAT employees, I know everyone there waits for these reviews to publish. Either that or you're applying for a job at OPSWAT. Big mistake- This place is 1 star. It's a garbage shoot. The CEO is insane. I mean clinically insane. The employees are severely underpaid. When I switched jobs my salary literally doubled. The turnover rate is unreal, the morale is so low. There is a major lack of diversity in the office to the point where it's uncomfortable. The product is a joke. I wouldn't recommend working here to anyone I love and care about. Stay far far away.

Summary of cons: Management, morale, CEO, technology, boring

Advice to Management

Treat human beings like humans. Value people and show a level of decency and respect. Management who is not CEO, open your eyes are stop turning a blind eye to the way people are treated. You're just as part of the problem.

OPSWAT Response

May 22, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

We are sorry to hear you had a bad experience at OPSWAT. OPSWAT takes pride in our diverse and inclusive environment. We also take pride in the team that helps to bring about one of the best... More

"you probably don't want to work here..."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OPSWAT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office is in San Francisco, but not downtown, so its easier to get to, and there's actually parking. You can park on the street for free (but you gotta move your car every few hours in some spots) or, you can park in the parking garage that opswat pays for.

The office is pretty nice. There is a lot more style over substance (steel stairs that rust when you get them wet, so we get passive aggressive notes about it, weird kitchen ascetics where common things are hidden so you spend time searching for everything you need, no “clutter” on your desk is allowed, etc)

Opswat pays a percentage of a gym membership at world gym down the street
    Free dinner...unless if you leave work before 6pm…they feel its abusing the system. Its just seamless with a $17 limit. The snacks sucks IMO, but others seem to like them YMMV

This place is full of people that are young and are working their first career job, so many don’t truly understand how the place falls short, but these same people are awesome individuals who have bright futures ahead of them. They make the place tolerable...and now that I'm out, I kind of feel like I should start an underground railroad to get these people to freedom.

They put on a party or have go-big day once a month…too bad at every go big party some announces that they are leaving the company.

Sounds good to others that I do “internet security”

Engineers get to use C++, other fields get to do things a Jr isn't normally allowed to do, so everyone learns some cool stuff
    I know some people don’t have a high opinion of the CEO, but personally, he was always professional toward me. I have not worked side by side with him like others, but I do feel that he cares, but maybe cultural difference or something else causes that care to get mistranslated. That is just a guess from afar, I cant say either way.

Cons

THE COMPANY IN GENERAL:
    Gas prices are more consistent than this company! From their website itself, to product offerings, the names of the products (is it Metascan? Metadefender? Meteadefender, the movie? at&t at the half presents metadefender) to what is valued at opswat, who will stay as an employee(A handful of interns quit early, 3 guys from my team left, 3 or 4 marketing guys left all within a few months of me starting there, and 3 support guys left for greener pastures), who's gonna be the sales VP (3 sale VP were hired and fired within 6 months, as well as 2 sales directors. That’s just in the sf office. ) or who is on the sales team (10 sales guys hired and fired, and the top sales guy who was there for 2 years was fired for opswat's accounting mistake...but they rehired him when the then sales vp left ), Also, who knows who is an important customer this week, what we are trying to accomplish as a company, what trends to “follow” in the industry, the list goes on. I swear I have an easier time understating a NFL's refs bad calls than I do with the decisions of this company. Its like a cartoon villain with no idea on how to succeed, so they try everything to catch that elusive roadrunner...with the same Wile E. Coyote results.

So, what kind of company is opwat? The type that will a pay for auto-propping door hinges, get upset that they work properly, then buy an elaborate buzzer system to alert you that the door is propped open(its the most annoying buzzer I've ever heard) so you can close the doors. The thought of getting non-propping hinges and a $1.99 door stop for the few times the door needs to be propped open, never occurred to opswat...
    They are the kind of company where if you disagree with the CEO, you can be fired. from what i gather, the CEO often feels he knows more than *you* no matter what your field of expertise is. Sales, engineering, marketing, physical fitness, Street Fighter, whatever.

There seems a general mistrust between the employees and the management, and its for good reason. HR says one thing, but you see the CEO do something else, namely getting rid of people, or not following thru on the things to improve the life of an opswat employee. Honestly, I think the CEO and every other top official at the company cares, but they don’t really see the bigger picture. The have no idea how to keep talent, or develop younger employees. News flash, treating your senior members as Jr's is not the way to keep talent.

Also, there's a way to be open and transparent, and the company tries to do that, but their execution falls short. A perfect example is the Monday meetings at 9am. The purpose is to keep everyone informed about whats going on in the company. That is a good thing. However, the execution is really bad. Usually a different person will present something about what they are working on or whatever. Often times, it seems like the presentation was thrown together last minute…and they usually are. Management are often begging people volunteer to present, and if nobody volunteers (lets face it, there wont be new news every week) they force someone to present. Why? i have no clue! I wont go into the fact that most people presenting aren’t very good at giving presentations. (again, they are not prepared, you cant hear them talk, using jargon that only people on their team can understand, etc) These meetings also take up too much time, so they become a bigger waste of time than you thought. Even if the presentation is well presented, it doesn’t matter much, because the CEO and others will start to look at their phones or laptops, and not pay attention 3 mins into the meeting. So, if these mandatory meetings are that important, why cant the person who makes them mandatory even pay attention?

THE TEAM I WAS ON:
    I mentioned that it impresses people to say you do internet security, but the fact of the matter is, many of us don’t know much about it, therefore, I wonder if the code would pass standard security tests. The code base is just not very good. Its said to be C++, but its really just bad C. Global variables everywhere...methods that take in 24 parameters (I'm not exaggerating) cut and paste jobs from MSDN, not to mention, DUPLICATE methods (yes, cut and paste a function, but change a line or 2 of code) Multiple 3rd party libraries that do the same thing, but in different parts of the same project. Dependency hell...no central place for your 3rd party and utility code, lets just have multiple versions of each for each project! Brilliant! Thousands upon thousands of warnings. Encryption code that was (or still is?) broken and nobody knew. Passwords were stored in plain text for most of my stay there (that's now fixed, probably because we as a team took it upon ourselves to assign it to me as if its a customer complaint so I could fix it) The majority of quarterly goals are never met. I would say we reach 25% of the goals each quarter (every other team would get close to 100% and some even did stretch goals). And of course this all leads to mountains of bugs and problems. Lucky for opswat, their biggest customers cant change software so easily, so there's no real incentive to improve of fix things.

Too many incompetent managers are still in the place ruining everything. Mine in particular is the worst I have ever had. Hes the type of guy to play favorites, make special rules for some people (example: my first day, he said that only I couldn't not browse YouTube on my own computer, nobody else had that rule, why me? I don't know it was my first day!) He chases away top talent (that's if he actually agrees to higher top talent) by either being inflexible or unnecessarily critical and a micro manager. That’s the thing, top talent has experience in the work place and know how things should be. What our team figured out long ago was that he wants a Jr programmer that has the ability of a seasoned vet. This way, he can pay peanuts, but treat them as mindless slave who will just silently do his bidding. Good luck finding your over qualified, underpaid patsy.

Communication was the worst I have ever experienced with him. Hell, as a college student, I worked retail jobs that had better communication. If you cant read his mind, you might as well not do any work. No matter what you do, it will be “wrong” and it will have to be done again. But, the kicker is, you wont get to do it over, he will assign it to someone else. The common theme is not to listen to what he says, but to find out what he really wants, and how he wants it done. He often back tracks on his words, or claims that he wasn't understood, and its your fault for not understanding him. In other words, you will be reprimanded many times because of his lack of communication. However, does he learn from his mistakes? Does he hold himself to the same standard of “learning” that he claims to hold his team? Hell no.

He says the team is agile, but they don’t even have QA department! If you know anything about being agile, the QA isn't optional. He got rid of all of the QA dept piece by piece, with no intention to replace them. His “brilliant” idea was to have development do QA round robin style once a week. Mind you, QA doesn’t just involve doing some testing, but we also have to do customer support (no, we don't get trained for this) Sometimes, this customer support is for products our team is not responsible for. So, not only do you get taken out of your flow mid assignment, you have to figure out the nuances of QA and customer support without training or instruction; and get it right the first time. Also, the way we would QA our code was very rudimentary, this is not a place for TDD! Unit tests? Ha! Regression tests? Nope. There are no formal test plans or goals. You can get away with this with certain software, but if your are supposed to be building a security product, this cant fly. There are some tests, but many are obsolete, therefore, give no useful information on the state of the product. Oh, did I mention these useless tests run 10 hours each time they are started? Most of the QA tests are manual and archaic. I tried to fix this at my stay there, thanks to some really cool co-workers who showed me how powerful TDD is, but it doesn't matter to our manager. The funny thing is, is that the manger also praised this same colleague for the books he read to improve his knowledge and skill set, promoted said colleague, but didn't trust him to make any changes or improvements even though his title gave him the ability to make changes. Basically, he couldn't do the things he learned about even though he was praised for learning them! I guess there is not enough time for proper software development on a security based product...

Theodore Roosevelt said it best that sums up my experience:
    People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. The leader leads, and the boss drives.

So, to sum it up for perspective opswat employees:
    If you have work experience in your industry, you probably don't want to work at opswat...or if you do, treat it like a contract job or something temporary (because it will be) and something cool to put on a resume (as long as your next employer don't ask you about security related stuff) . If this is your first job out of school, this place may be okay for you, but that is because you don't know any better and it could possibly help you learn some cool things. However, you will see things that you don't seem right, and in your gut, you will know something is off. When you witness the high turnover rate, don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Advice to Management

LOL, like they would listen, hence, why they are in the position they find themselves currently.

"Average at best"

I worked at OPSWAT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place for entry level professionals to get a niche in. They provide you opportunities beyond your experience and you will be doing things that normally are done by mid-level persons.

Cons

If you're not on the right team, life at OPSWAT can be tumultuous. Things are difficult and the buffer between yourself and upper management can be nonexistent.

Advice to Management

COMMUNICATE.

"Internship"

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Give interns good project to work on, learned a lot from my team.

Cons

Will come up some later.

"Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good people there from development and engineering

Cons

CEO is clueless, they had a VP who had a vision and was friendly to all but wasn't allowed to drive the business. He could have been a game changer for this company

Advice to Management

Let people do what they are suppose to do such as sales, marketing and run with the plan and stop with the constant changing of things, you won't grow like that

"Great place to work if you work hard"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OPSWAT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management in this company appreciates and rewards productive effort that goes beyond the job description. Nice clean office, great perks and benefits, free parking if you know where to look, gym within walking distance is partially subsidized, snacks and food on site, fun company events on occasion.

Cons

Lack of workspace customization (goes with the clean office), some apparent political intrigue (never experienced much myself), need to take PTO for doctor visits or other official business if it falls on a weekday

Advice to Management

Possibly offer more training/educational opportunities, but for the most part, keep up the good work!

"Good work bad management"

Former Employee - --- in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - --- in San Francisco, CA

Pros

You are probably here because 1) you are considering OPSWAT as an employer OR 2) you work for OPSWAT and you are curious about the reviews here. This review is for (1). You would be reporting to either the CEO or to one of the managers. If you are going to report to one of the managers, then depending on the group, your experience could be great or really bad. I have worked with some managers that were really great to work with. Others, not so much. On the other hand, if you are working for the CEO, it's not going to be pleasant. You will be micromanaged, directives will change every other day, you will be put down. If you have any other option, it may be better.

Cons

See above. There is lot more to say. It would be like above.

Advice to Management

None.

"Engaging work content with opportunities galore for personal and professional growth..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OPSWAT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's definitely a ton of work on my plate at OPSWAT, but I love it! The people I work with are intelligent and amazing at teamwork. The new office has been in construction mode for over a year now, but the space is looking really great! The office space is comfortable and the people keep me engaged in my projects and deliverables. The free food isn't bad either, although the sponsored gym membership is my favorite perk.

Cons

I wish the construction would finish.

Advice to Management

Keep me challenged and growing professionally.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OPSWAT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great salary and people to work with.

Cons

There are no cons so far.