Orkin Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Orkin CEO, COO & President Gary Rollins
Gary Rollins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Friendly co workers good pay we worked as a unit (in 17 reviews)

• working on your own,meeting new people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Because of the lack of staffing there is a constant pressure for you to work weekends and long hours (in 29 reviews)

• Unfortunately, that industry (pest control) doesn't pay enough to be financially independent (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Termite Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Termite Sales Inspector in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Termite Sales Inspector in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Orkin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive Environment, Salary + Generous Commission, Company Car, Benefits, great training

Cons

Expected to meet minimum quotas, long days

Advice to Management

Try more constructive criticism

Jan 4, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the feedback!

2. "Route Manager"

Current Employee - Route Manager in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Route Manager in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Orkin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After a year I can still say this is the best job I have ever had, and will one day look back and miss being a part of such a great team. I highly recommend it, specifically at the Lansing office, but the others in the area are great as well.

Wonderful training. Great management. Positive environment. Being a part of a team that has common goals and respects each other as professionals. Helping people, and making very good money to do so. Flexibility when you need it, but don’t take advantage of that part-time work= part-time pay. There is a huge amount of confidence that comes from knowing you have a knowledgeable, supportive team to back you, and while expectations are definitely high- you won’t be “punished” if you make a mistake. You will learn, and you will grow. If you’re willing to work hard and put the time in, this can be a wonderful and fulfilling career for you that you can build on.

Yes, it’s basic. We kill pests. It WILL take you out of your comfort zone physically and mentally. You will learn new skills, and as you are learning and growing in your skills the confidence in yourself and your abilities naturally grows. Take coaching, and don’t be over sensitive.

Cons

You are killing pests. It’s dirty, you work outside in all conditions, in attics and crawlspaces, and obviously sometimes that part stinks. Dress the part, and plan accordingly.

You are dealing with people, and not everyone is always going to like you. You can’t take it personally, but stay professional. Long hours in the summers (very long.), but communication is key to balancing everything. I also joke that my job pays me to work out, so make sure to take care of yourself.

Advice to Management

My service and branch managers are amazing. I wouldn’t change a thing about them. I look forward to our team meetings, as we are on our own a lot. I believe they do a wonderful job of building us up, but also correcting and readjusting when needed. I trust them completely, and know they want what’s best for us- though they are responsible for maintaining high standards and making sure we are being held accountable to those we are responsible for.

3. "Great company"

I have been working at Orkin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a great level of flexibility.

Cons

Long hours. No overtime. Need to pay for overtime

Advice to Management

Consider treating employees

4. "Great Company"

I have been working at Orkin full-time

Pros

Good opportunity for great pay and benefits

Cons

Large corporation, change can be slow

Advice to Management

None

5. "Manager"

I have been working at Orkin full-time

Pros

Freedom to work at your on your own with greater input and control Salary.

Cons

Wish the shoes were more comfortable, but they are free so I will work with it.

Thanks for your input!

6. "Orkin for Life"

Current Employee - Manager in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Orkin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for / good and friendly enviorment / good benefits / 401k / kind of your own boss and it is up to you to provide a great service and earn your money/ lots of ways to make more money and advance in the company.

Cons

you are your own boss out there and it is up to you not to take the low road.

Advice to Management

Try to hire more people who take pride in their work.

Feb 19, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

We appreciate your perspective on working for Orkin. Hiring top talent is one of our priorities and would love referrals for folks that you think will be great team members!

7. "Long term life style"

Current Employee - Sales in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Orkin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent pay,top training in the industry, family atmosphere , great benefits

Cons

Must be energetic, motivated,driven to deliver excellent customer service

8. "Great Training, Great Place to work!!!"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Orkin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Orkin work experience has been great. The culture and work environment have been great. One of the things I am most proud of when it comes to Orkin is the idea behind the mission statement to be the best service organization in the world. Orkin takes this idea very seriously and it shows with the customer relations and the extra mile that the employees go to ensure customer satisfaction. Like i stated earlier I am proud to work for this company and am certainly honored to be part of the managment team here at Orkin

Cons

I see no real cons to working at Orkin. It is professionally run and can be a fantastic career for those that want to make the effort to advance.

9. "Disfuctional Scheduling Practices / Revolving Door"

Current Employee - Route Manager in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Route Manager in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Orkin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is ok, benefits are decent, Company Truck with gas card.

Cons

Regularly understaffed. This company wants to be a same day service company but lacks the numbers in staffing & you will constantly have to pick up the slack. My biggest issue is scheduleling. They ask you to schedule appointments for your customers then they screw your day up by adding a bunch of same day appointments to your schedule with short notice. Normally there would be a position for another Rep to pick up the overflow appointments but with a lack of staffing that falls on you. Because of the lack of staffing there is a constant pressure for you to work weekends and long hours. It's been a revolving door since I've been with this company and It doesn't appear that management is concerned with fixing the problem. Very stressful chaotic and just not practical.

Advice to Management

Hire Schedulers and More Technicians to balance out all the responsibilities that falls on one person.

10. "sales"

Pros

money potential is up to you

Cons

management .. change tier without telling you

Feb 19, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

We are looking to improve communication at our branches. Thanks for the feedback and we regret that was your experience.