PACCAR Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
PACCAR CEO Ronald E. Armstrong
Ronald E. Armstrong

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Getting to work on state of the art trucks is great and there is a great work life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Stable company with a global presence (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • At times, work life balance was a challenge (in 23 reviews)

• Strict dress code, outdated technology (in 30 reviews)

1. "Good stuff happening in the Silicon Valley office"

Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently joined Paccar, at the new Silicon Valley office, and wanted to share my initial impressions. Although I haven’t been here long, I’ve worked in many different companies and did my homework before joining.

First off, when I was considering the job I almost didn’t talk with Paccar. Some of the reviews on Glassdoor were not good and that worried me. However the recruiter I talked with was very friendly and professional, so I decided to see what Paccar’s Silicon Valley office is all about. I’m glad I did.

Before my interviews I read all of the Glassdoor reviews. Then during the interview process, I talked with many people within the company about the issues that concerned me. While one should always read such reviews with a critical eye, it’s true that the company has its quirks and that there is work to be done when it comes to culture.

What I found is that top management is aware of the challenges, and of the need to change. One of the goals of the Silicon Valley office is for the company to find great new technologies, partner with startups, and in general get good at managing the risk that comes with cutting edge tech.

I left a good job elsewhere to join Paccar. That isn’t a decision I took lightly. Before I accepted the position, I made a point of visiting the company headquarters in Bellevue, to get a firsthand sense for what it’s like there, because a lot of reviews talked about it. It is true that it is a suit and tie environment at headquarters (was the same for my last company too) but people were friendly and smart, and I enjoyed the conversations.

OK, so what’s it like here at the Paccar Silicon Valley office?

Our office is currently small, but it is growing. The office vibe is fun. Most of the team comes from an engineering background. We like to build cool stuff and get things done. One of the nice things I’m noticing is that although it is “a bunch of engineers,” people are good at communicating and collaborating with one another. It is a collegial environment.

I’m also seeing that within the company overall, people make a point to figure out how to work together. There are a lot of good listeners within this company. It’s true that collaborating with large groups of people is never easy, but I see good signs so far.

In terms of culture here in the Silicon Valley office, it runs and feels like Silicon Valley. Most of us dress casually. Work hours are flexible. A lot of folks come in early and leave early as well; I work more typical Silicon Valley hours and that’s totally fine.

I should also mention that this new office looks great. High ceilings, spacious, modern. I like it. Also we have bays for working on trucks, so once they arrive that’s going to be super fun.

Anyhow, if you are thinking of learning more about a job at Paccar in Silicon Valley, and the Glassdoor reviews have you worried, don’t panic! Get in touch, arrange a time to stop by, and check it out for yourself.

Cons

I built the "con's" into the first section.

2. "Tried and True"

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Conservative company, success based on conservative outlook

Cons

Can be difficult to get new idea's off the ground

Advice to Management

Its ok to try on new things doesn't mean that's the way its going to be forever don't manage with a fear based attitude

3. "Overall"

I have been working at PACCAR full-time

Pros

Good pay with great employees and awesome vacation time.

Cons

Benefits aren’t what I expected

"Stable and conservative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at PACCAR (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, not flexibility, but balance
    Ability to explore different function
    Offers a pension vested after 5 years

Cons

Very conservative culture
    Hierarchical
    Benefits are just Okay, could be considered subpar compared to other companies in the area
    Not flexible

Advice to Management

Loosen up a little

5. "Just not for everyone."

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at PACCAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy "technical" job. Great for engineers fresh out of college in regards to workload, pay, and benefits. Annual company picnic. There are a couple good managers and supervisors there that truly care about their workers.

Cons

"Us vs. Them" mentality. Afraid of change. Quantity is more important than quality resulting in substandard products being released in order to reach deadlines set by technologically impaired or inexperienced management. Teamwork is advertised yet rarely accomplished because of refusal to work together when needed.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the outdated culture because your lifeblood will be all the millennials you are hiring at cheap rates. If you want to keep good ones there, improve quality of work life, offer better benefits, and better pay as they progress. Care more about employee development, which includes the contractors that support you. Work on better interactions between internal departments and external divisions.

6. "Associate Design Engineer"

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent coworkers, interesting challenges at its core, opportunities to work with coworkers across both the United States and in Europe. Excellent pension for those who stay within the company for 5+ years. Solid 401k match. Decent health benefits.

Cons

Mediocre pay for the area. Most of the interesting content in the field is diluted by months of management overhead, weak communications between groups and divisions, and slow development cycles. Corporate culture is a bit of a throwback to earlier years - strict dress code, micromanagement in day-to-day tasks, and random unannounced visits from upper management who are disconnected from engineering a large majority of the time. Very high turnover for a engineering division of a mature company.

Advice to Management

The recent changes are a step in the right direction, but are happening slowly enough to bleed off new talent as they are recruited.

"Mediocre"

I worked at PACCAR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance is great (as a salaried, non-manager technical employee). Seldom is overtime expected and the work load is seldom overwhelming (the one exception I witnessed to this was for production-related positions which is to be expected).

Employment: if you are salaried, chances are you will not ever be fired. (There are some obvious pitfalls to this practice, namely tons of deadweight).

Resources: it's a big company, so there are many opportunities for professional training: technical classes such as CREO/CAD, GD&T, Green and Black Belt certifications as well as industry-specific training in material cost excellence, leadership training, etc. For the most part the content of such classes is quite good (implementation, well that's a whole different beast).

Given the low overtime expectations and the stability of employment, you could say that their salary and benefit packages are appropriate.

Cons

There is no expectation for things to be done the right way. I’ll go further, there are no incentives or rewards for doing things the right way. I’ll go even further, there is a tacit and widespread hostility towards doing things the right way. The real priority is doing what you are asked to do without questioning it and being able to report that all your goals are being met.

The result is an eerie mentality where the goalposts are shifted, inconsistencies are overlooked and everything that does not add up is rationalized away. Aside from the relatively few who are discontent within the organization everyone else adopts a version of ‘things are not perfect, but where are they anyway?’ and implicitly or explicitly condone the way things get done.

The ensuing dynamics are those of expedient problem-solving by management in order to present a situation under control, frustration or impotent resistance by those employees unwilling or unable to overlook the duplicitousness of the whole culture and indifference or complicity by everyone else.

For me, one of the most difficult consequences to live with was the lack of pride of workmanship. The norm is just to do things and not ask any questions. Further, there were very few, if any, opportunities that actually allowed for ‘good work’ to be done; most positions being tailored around unrealistic or ineffectual job descriptions, responsibilities or expectations.

Another noteworthy consequence is the inability of the company to attract and retain talent. If you’re looking for motivated, talented employees looking to do good work, this is not the company for it. I met only two managers who I looked up to in my entire stay and both of them were senior managers who arrived at the company after having made their careers elsewhere and who by this point were simply finishing it off in a comfortable note prior to retirement.

This is a place where mediocrity abounds. most live comfortably next to it, some fight it to no avail and yet others embrace it full-heartedly.

Bottom Line:

There is something to be said about stability and 40-hour-week expectations. If all you want is a ‘job’ then look no further than PACCAR. If right now what you really need is stability or a leg-up, then PACCAR is a decent bet. Just be aware of the risks and drawbacks going in.

If you’re interviewing, I’d suggest you be very skeptical about any job descriptions, expectations or promised opportunities – an opportunity to fix ‘____’ means something very different inside PACCAR than outside it. So I would suggest you get as specific an answer as possible (anything that veers into the opportunity to do ‘projects’ should be are red flag).

Also, do not underestimate the effect of the culture on your mental health. Even if you are a laid back, flexible person the requisite load of mental gymnastics may come to eventually affect you. I’d suggest that you assess whether there are any potential areas of conflict where you’d be uncomfortable doing things out of expediency.

Try to assess which skills you’ll be able to develop no matter what and what your exit strategy will be as this place may simply suck you in into professional irrelevancy.

One last note for engineers (of any kind as far as I’m concerned): Be extra careful. The foregoing advise is especially germane to any technical position in PACCAR. In most likelihood you’ll only learn things that are PACCAR-specific so that you may only be ever employable at PACCAR, especially if you are just starting out.

Advice to Management

It’s like asking the Fox to guard henhouse.

Broadly speaking, the culture is a self-reinforcing cycle. Yes-men and women are promoted and in turn they promote yes-men and women, none of whom are interested taking apart the papered-over shaky foundations (if for nothing other than to conceal their complicity).

Just ask any manager and although they all agree that ‘things are not perfect’ not one of them will ever even conceive that they are contributing to the problem. The whole structure is rotten from the core and if you don’t even wince at it anymore then you’ve become an unconscious supporter of the Potemkin-like regime.

Also, as far as I can tell, HR is entirely complicit in this pact, so any feedback will fall in deaf or impotent ears.

"Current employee"

I have been working at PACCAR full-time

Pros

Decent starting pay plus weekends off.

Cons

No advancement opportunities in the Atlanta facility

9. "Product Development Manager"

Current Employee - Product Development Manager in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Product Development Manager in Denton, TX

I have been working at PACCAR full-time

Pros

Product has integrity. Company is willing to invest in training for employees. Paccar likes to hire within. There is lots of opportunity to traverse different areas of the company.

Cons

not a lot of flexibility working from home, pay is not always competitive. Cafeteria food is poor quality and taste at most locations. No free coffee.

10. "Older Company"

Pros

Structured and a Fourtune 500 Company.

Cons

Very conservative. Had little to do most of the time. I was mainly just sitting there.